BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-07-29 9:17 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Morning Everyone!

Congrats once again to those who raced this weekend and boo on mother nature for getting in Jenn's way!

Thor had a great idea a few days back that I think we should jump on... Are there any BDAASers out there who are good at designing logos? Thors idea was to design a BDAAS logo and then use it to make up some custom sportswear.. I need a new bike shirt and it would be cool to have some gear that means something to me. WOuld anyone be willing to design a logo? I was thinking of a logo that containing a beer bottle with BDAAS... But I'm no artist.

Any one else interested in getting the sports wear?

2014-07-29 9:24 AM

User image

I can give it a shot if I get some free time. 

2014-07-29 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Here's a quick version

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (643KB - 2 downloads)
2014-07-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

Alan - As you can see from the drawings... I'm not the man for the job. My pic was just a start. Feel free to go in any direction you think would be cool!

Any one know a good site where we could buy the tri top once we have the design?

Thanks for everyone's help on this!
2014-07-29 9:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17

Alan - As you can see from the drawings... I'm not the man for the job. My pic was just a start. Feel free to go in any direction you think would be cool! Any one know a good site where we could buy the tri top once we have the design? Thanks for everyone's help on this!

I just received an email from this company who is getting into triathlon gear. they have done gear for some of the Canadian Olympic teams.(I purchased a custom 2pc. from a Chinese manufacturer once...not so great)

Low minimum orders (5 I think) and decent pricing from what the rep said. I think it is $99 CAD for a 1 piece custom tri suit.

http://www.apogee-sports.com/custom.html

if you go to store/triathlon then go to custom you can check out some basic suit designs.

Also for the design folks a beer mug?

X

Edited by thor67 2014-07-29 9:40 AM
2014-07-29 10:02 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Here's a rough sketch.

(BDAAS.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
BDAAS.jpg (2843KB - 3 downloads)

2014-07-29 11:57 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I like that design!

Here is the race report from my race on Sunday. Next event is not until September, being my first Oly it's time to step up my training!

2014-07-29 12:04 PM

User image

Expert

Here's a rough sketch.

And your sketch proves why I teach English and History.... Not art!

Love how you integrated beer into the swim bike run order. After all, icy cold beverages (that includes wine Juan ) is one of the reasons why we tri.
2014-07-29 1:54 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Fantastic idea, Dave!! I would love to get this customized gear. The manufacturers of most official triathlon clubs and spanish teams -Taymory- do take small orders, minimum 6. Once the artists agree on the logo and colors, I could ask them for a budget as well.
http://www.taymory.com/en/
2014-07-29 2:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Here's a rough sketch.

I like it except for the beer spillage...anyway we can have another guy lying on his back drinking the spillage! Just kidding great job, now to convert it to a digital image.

(125509507367117824Olympic_sports_Triathlon_pictogram svg hi.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
125509507367117824Olympic_sports_Triathlon_pictogram svg hi.jpg (28KB - 2 downloads)
2014-07-29 2:32 PM

User image

I love the idea and the logo!!!!!

2014-07-29 4:05 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

New user
Madrid
Congrats, great report!
2014-07-29 4:13 PM

User image

Here's a rough sketch.

I like it. My wife does some graphic design on the side so I'm sure she can convert anything we come up with to digital for us, I would say she could also help design it but I have been waiting on my homebrew logo for a LONG time (2 years).

I had a good weekend got in 3 of my 6 planed workouts including an OWS with no snake bites. I missed the others due to storms on Sunday, Saterday that was more well lets call it over celebration of my snake less swim.

sorry about the race cancelation. How will that work do they reschedule.
2014-07-29 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Here's a rough sketch.

I like it. My wife does some graphic design on the side so I'm sure she can convert anything we come up with to digital for us, I would say she could also help design it but I have been waiting on my homebrew logo for a LONG time (2 years).

I had a good weekend got in 3 of my 6 planed workouts including an OWS with no snake bites. I missed the others due to storms on Sunday, Saterday that was more well lets call it over celebration of my snake less swim.

sorry about the race cancelation. How will that work do they reschedule.

It takes a village to design some bike gear

Alan - If not one has any initial objections/suggestions on the design between now and Friday, would you mind working on a final draft (so to speak) over the weekend?

Then Scott's better half could digitize it next week.

Juan - would you do some research with that design company. question though - wouldn't it be more expensive to ship the majority of the order via international mail? What would you say is the easiest way to do this considering we have BDAAS members on different continents?

Below you can see the site Thor thought might be a good bet for buying the gear and doing the printing. Thanks for for suggesting this. Does anyone have a company that we should check out to buy the jerseys and do the printing?

Finally - I love Alan's design. What suggestions do people have? Might be kind of cool to pay homage to BT by putting that on the beer label.

Edited by Qua17 2014-07-29 7:19 PM

(image005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image005.jpg (33KB - 2 downloads)
2014-07-29 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
We really need to find someone with real graphic design experience. Anything else really isn't worth the point.

I would think of something like a hop leaf / vine in the background, in a color that matches the jersey sleeves and piping, and go from there.

The graphics also need to be vector images for scaling purposes. Voler does nice stuff, but I'm not sure of the minimum orders.

I have zero interest in a trisuit, but a bike jersey would be very cool.
2014-07-30 7:35 AM

User image

I used to work in a design shop doing graphic design work.... 

As far as making it digital, I have no problem turning it into a vector graphic in Illustrator but my issue right now is time. I'm in the crunch period for my research paper. If there is someone else who can digitize that would be handy but if I get some spare time this week, I can hack away at it. 

A bike jersey would be cheaper and I would wear it more often. I typically only wear my tri suit during a race and wear regular bib and jersey while training. 

Sugoi just started making custom bike jerseys. I'm not sure of price but their products are top-notch. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-07-30 7:41 AM

2014-07-30 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Morning Everyone!

We need to start thinking of a challenge for August. Any suggestions!
2014-07-30 7:43 AM

User image

What about a climbing challenge? A King/Queen of the Mountain challenge. Whoever has the highest elevation by the end of the month takes the cake. 

2014-07-30 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

What about a climbing challenge? A King/Queen of the Mountain challenge. Whoever has the highest elevation by the end of the month takes the cake. 

Ha, I am going on holidays so I will just do these rides everyday...

http://www.strava.com/segments/735042

http://www.strava.com/segments/1446309

Edited by thor67 2014-07-30 8:27 AM
2014-07-30 8:39 AM

User image

You'd be one hell of a climber when your vacation is over. 

2014-07-30 8:47 AM

User image

Training update:

Lately I seem to have forgot that I am doing an Ironman in 3 weeks. That is not to say I haven't been training, I've just been biking all the time. I haven't had a decent run in two weeks because of my knee so I've had to overcompensate by biking a lot more. I've built a solid base on the bike and now I'm working on speed. I can hold 33kph (20.5 mph) comfortably for long distances. I've also noticed that my max heart rate has jumped considerably in the last few weeks. When I started I had a hard time getting it up to 170. Now in an all out sprint I'm hitting 182 and can hold 172 for a kilometre or more without lactate build up. Speaking of sprinting, I came second place in a road criterium race last night. I came around the last corner in 4th position and sprinted to a second place finish. 

Whatever I lose from lack of run training I'll make up for on the bike ahead of time with a stronger faster ride. I'm getting a little nervous about Ironman as it gets closer though. It's going to be a hell of a day. 

2014-07-30 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Training update:

Lately I seem to have forgot that I am doing an Ironman in 3 weeks. That is not to say I haven't been training, I've just been biking all the time. I haven't had a decent run in two weeks because of my knee so I've had to overcompensate by biking a lot more. I've built a solid base on the bike and now I'm working on speed. I can hold 33kph (20.5 mph) comfortably for long distances. I've also noticed that my max heart rate has jumped considerably in the last few weeks. When I started I had a hard time getting it up to 170. Now in an all out sprint I'm hitting 182 and can hold 172 for a kilometre or more without lactate build up. Speaking of sprinting, I came second place in a road criterium race last night. I came around the last corner in 4th position and sprinted to a second place finish. 

Whatever I lose from lack of run training I'll make up for on the bike ahead of time with a stronger faster ride. I'm getting a little nervous about Ironman as it gets closer though. It's going to be a hell of a day. 

Nice job, strong bike, strong run!

2014-07-30 11:22 AM

User image

, Vermont
Love the idea of a bike shirt and love the logo!!!! I would be in! When checking for minimums, can we see if that would include both female and male shirts? I should assume it wouldn't matter but you never know.

Okay, so 29/28 today with my "make up" tri! No warm Coors for me!! Yea! We couldn't really do proper transitions and had to drive a mile from the swim area to the bike area but I did three in a row.

For the swim I ended up doing about 3/4 mile, not the original 1/2 so that skews it a bit. I completely forgot to check my start time. The water was nice but the air was 50 degrees and fog was hanging on the water - cool yet eerie. The swim is quickly becoming my favorite to prep for.

Bike: a friend mapped out a 12 mile ride but Strava is telling me it was 11.8 so there you go. Her GPS said 12. Anyway 41:36 for that with 4 stops for traffic lights and a slow down for construction. I would comfortably take almost 5 minutes off my time to make it accurate. That being said, it took me 4 or 5 miles to really warm up. The first few miles my legs felt like lead. I had to wait almost an hour between the swim and bike as my friends were kayaking so I froze even with fleece on. My left toes had zero feeling in them at the start of the bike and by the end my right toes had little feeling. I ate 4 honey stingers en route but zero hydration (slap me now). I really need to focus on this particularly if I decide to pursue an Oly on Aug 30. I recognize the waiting around and chilling sapped some energy.

Run: the route we choose starts off uphill, small dip then more uphill for 1 1/2 miles. It felt like we had a good clip going. About 3/4 mile from the end my left quad just above my knee sort of seized up - never had that happen before (perhaps a product of not hydrating on the ride). I pressed on. It hurt pretty good but I'm sure it affected my time. I walked a 1/4 mile after and it felt fine to walk on so I'm going to coin David's phrase and "roll and ice like it's my job" tonight. I finished that in 26:10 which I should be happy with but really wanted 8 min/miles in a non-competitive setting, hoping to go sub 8 in a race. I'll take it - it's the first time I've done all three, one right after the other.

So that's my "make up" sprint tri. Tonight I'll enjoy a Switchback IPA.

Cheers,
Jenn
2014-07-30 3:01 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Great job, Jenn! Remind me...how long have you been running? That's a fast run...I'd like to increase my speed a little over the next year. But I've only been running since last spring so I'm okay with where I'm at--it just seems like I'd need to take a minute off each mile to get really competitive in a sprint.

I totally get where you're coming from on the OWS training too. Once I get used to an outdoor swimming area, I'm really enjoying being able to do it outdoors in fresh water as opposed to a yucky pool. (sorry...knowing how many kids in swimming lessons peed in that pool an hour earlier just makes lake monsters a little less threatening, you know?). Still having trouble with the transition to each new swimming area though. I did order a swim buoy this week which should allow me to do more swimming in "new" areas with some more comfort though.

On the logo wear, I'd also prefer a shirt of some sort as opposed to a tri suit. I think the latter vary a bit in terms of what is comfortable for each person whereas I'd wear a bike jersey all the time when biking. :-)
2014-07-30 3:06 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
will do - meanwhile, www.pactimo.com is a Colorado based great resource as well
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50415 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19419 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.