BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-08-24 7:40 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon There's a dark side to IM training, and I'm in the thick of it. Just 15 days to the dance, and I hate everybody and everything right now. I hate my bike, I hate my coach, I hate triathlon . . .Ran 12 miles this morning in 85 degree heat at 85% humidity. 70oz of fluid in two hours, plus enough salt to attract every deer within 10 miles, all at a pace I consider abysmal. In retrospect, I should have waited another season to tackle a full. Then again, I would not have taken the advice from myself a year ago, so it is what it is. I bounced back from my two HIM races in 7 or 10 days, but the constant fatigue and soreness as I roll into the start of the taper is just grinding aggravation. all for a 14 to 15 hour finish. I know that's nothing to scoff at, but I can't help wanting more, and I don't have the base fitness to back it up. I hope I don't come across as whiny, even though that's what I am. Just a note of caution for those considering a full-distance race - I'm not pleasant to be around right now, and I know it, and everyone else knows it, and it's taking a lot of consideration and love and support from my family.

Take it one day at a time and hug the ones you love. You are just about there!

Feel free to come on here and get your frustrations off your chest! That is part the support package of BDAAS!

2014-08-24 3:59 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Well, the last minute sprint entry didn't happen. Actually, thank goodness I hadn't registered earlier in the week.

I woke up Saturday tired and questioning whether to enter at all...we literally had to be in the water at 7 am, parked by 5:30, and it was a solid hour away. The idea of getting up on Sunday at 4 am just didn't sound appealing. But I was still going to go check out the venue...which realistically would have meant I would have entered anyways. I wanted to RACE....I just didn't want to get up at 4 am to race.

Buuut, as I was sitting at my computer drinking my morning tea...something happened. I'm not sure what, but the end result is that I've got a foot injury. A similar thing happened to me six months ago--it was like metatarsalgia, but I was reasonably sure it was caused from the way I had been sitting for hours in front of a computer....but I wasn't sure because symptoms came up in the middle of the night after a long run. However, what happened yesterday MUST have been a placement or pressure thing from how I was sitting, I feel confident it is definitely not an exercise injury. The last time I ran was Wednesday...Thursday was an OWS, and I intentionally took Friday off thinking I'd be doing the sprint on Sunday and knowing I'd want to swim at the venue on Saturday. I was fine Thursday, Friday, and Saturday...got up from sitting at the computer and it felt like I'd been jumping on rocks. Also had some pulling at my calf in the area of an old calf strain--so SOMETHING happened. And it doesn't feel a lot better today although it's just isolated to the foot now.

So, looks like the universe wasn't supportive of that race. :-( There's another in a couple of weeks I'm hoping I'll be able to enter.
2014-08-24 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

There's a dark side to IM training, and I'm in the thick of it. Just 15 days to the dance, and I hate everybody and everything right now. I hate my bike, I hate my coach, I hate triathlon . . .Ran 12 miles this morning in 85 degree heat at 85% humidity. 70oz of fluid in two hours, plus enough salt to attract every deer within 10 miles, all at a pace I consider abysmal.

In retrospect, I should have waited another season to tackle a full. Then again, I would not have taken the advice from myself a year ago, so it is what it is. I bounced back from my two HIM races in 7 or 10 days, but the constant fatigue and soreness as I roll into the start of the taper is just grinding aggravation. all for a 14 to 15 hour finish. I know that's nothing to scoff at, but I can't help wanting more, and I don't have the base fitness to back it up.

I hope I don't come across as whiny, even though that's what I am. Just a note of caution for those considering a full-distance race - I'm not pleasant to be around right now, and I know it, and everyone else knows it, and it's taking a lot of consideration and love and support from my family.

Charles - I'm trying to figure out how to say this. I want to find the perfect words because I know exactly where you are. I was feeling just like you three weeks ago... So here is how I'm going to do it.

Three Weeks Ago: Triathlon - I absolutely hate it. ____ this ____. I know I am doing this for something good but there is nothing good in this experience. I hurt (oh my god am I sore). I'm tired - that's an understatement. Dead people have more energy. I miss my family. I spend ten hours on the bike all the while they are having a blast without me. I hate this and I'm never doing this ago ever.

A week ago as I am running towards the finish line after completing 140.5 miles: Holy crap! This is awesome. Random people are high fiving me... Oh my God, that's Mike Rielly and he's calling my name. Oh wait, there it is... "You Are An Ironman" Oh my God that was awesome. It was totally worth it.

Two nights ago...I bet it would be cool to do Lake Placid...

Two weeks from tonight: Charles Shapard... You are an Ironman!...

Trust me - it will be totally worth it!

2014-08-24 10:43 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

Well, the last minute sprint entry didn't happen. Actually, thank goodness I hadn't registered earlier in the week.

I woke up Saturday tired and questioning whether to enter at all...we literally had to be in the water at 7 am, parked by 5:30, and it was a solid hour away. The idea of getting up on Sunday at 4 am just didn't sound appealing. But I was still going to go check out the venue...which realistically would have meant I would have entered anyways. I wanted to RACE....I just didn't want to get up at 4 am to race.

Buuut, as I was sitting at my computer drinking my morning tea...something happened. I'm not sure what, but the end result is that I've got a foot injury. A similar thing happened to me six months ago--it was like metatarsalgia, but I was reasonably sure it was caused from the way I had been sitting for hours in front of a computer....but I wasn't sure because symptoms came up in the middle of the night after a long run. However, what happened yesterday MUST have been a placement or pressure thing from how I was sitting, I feel confident it is definitely not an exercise injury. The last time I ran was Wednesday...Thursday was an OWS, and I intentionally took Friday off thinking I'd be doing the sprint on Sunday and knowing I'd want to swim at the venue on Saturday. I was fine Thursday, Friday, and Saturday...got up from sitting at the computer and it felt like I'd been jumping on rocks. Also had some pulling at my calf in the area of an old calf strain--so SOMETHING happened. And it doesn't feel a lot better today although it's just isolated to the foot now.

So, looks like the universe wasn't supportive of that race. :-( There's another in a couple of weeks I'm hoping I'll be able to enter.

Luckily there are other races... Hope you feel better soon and that the universe gets over its bad mood.
2014-08-24 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

There's a dark side to IM training, and I'm in the thick of it. Just 15 days to the dance, and I hate everybody and everything right now. I hate my bike, I hate my coach, I hate triathlon . . .Ran 12 miles this morning in 85 degree heat at 85% humidity. 70oz of fluid in two hours, plus enough salt to attract every deer within 10 miles, all at a pace I consider abysmal.

In retrospect, I should have waited another season to tackle a full. Then again, I would not have taken the advice from myself a year ago, so it is what it is. I bounced back from my two HIM races in 7 or 10 days, but the constant fatigue and soreness as I roll into the start of the taper is just grinding aggravation. all for a 14 to 15 hour finish. I know that's nothing to scoff at, but I can't help wanting more, and I don't have the base fitness to back it up.

I hope I don't come across as whiny, even though that's what I am. Just a note of caution for those considering a full-distance race - I'm not pleasant to be around right now, and I know it, and everyone else knows it, and it's taking a lot of consideration and love and support from my family.

We are here for you. Hang tough buddy...if it were easy everyone would do it. Thanks for sharing the honest truth about training; the emotional affects as well as the physical. We are all behind you and cheering from our computers! Go Charles!
2014-08-24 11:35 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Down to 159...woot woot finally below 160! Even with birthday celebrations all week! Today, my husband turned 52 and my youngest turned 24...somehow the entire family made it to breakfast this morning, pancakes, bacon and sausage casserole for breakfast, oh and cake! Of course I counted it all and had to adjust the rest of my meals for the rest of the day.

2014-08-25 7:53 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by SportzVision

We are here for you. Hang tough buddy...if it were easy everyone would do it. Thanks for sharing the honest truth about training; the emotional affects as well as the physical. We are all behind you and cheering from our computers! Go Charles!

You've got this, Charles!!! You are doing things people only dream of and are an inspiration to many. Someone on that sideline will see you and think "gosh I'd like to be able to do that" and maybe, just maybe you will spark in one person the desire to lead a healthier lifestyle. You may be a lifesaver and you don't even know it. You are a stronger person physically and mentally and when you cross that finish line there will be so many who are proud of what you've done - one of those will be you, some of the others - your family, and of course all of us!!! The new confidence you will feel will spill over into many other aspects of your life - work, for example. We wish you all the best and as Cynthia said, we are here for you - venting is part of the process. You are BDAAS!!
2014-08-25 7:54 AM

User image

, Vermont

Down to 159...woot woot finally below 160! Even with birthday celebrations all week! Today, my husband turned 52 and my youngest turned 24...somehow the entire family made it to breakfast this morning, pancakes, bacon and sausage casserole for breakfast, oh and cake! Of course I counted it all and had to adjust the rest of my meals for the rest of the day.

Congrats, Cynthia!!! That is great!!
2014-08-25 8:15 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Originally posted by MOlsen

I'm running the full Rebel Challenge+ (5k, 10k, HM) in Jan, as dates get closer we should try to coordinate a meet up over the race weekend.

I went for a run today on a beautiful lush tree lined trail along a creek as a thunderstorm loomed on the horizon. The Tennessee humidity was somewhat bearable however I probably won't get used to it before returning to nice dry and mild CA. Tonight's beer is "unearthly" imperial IPA from Southern Tier, the malt overpowers the hops at first but as I work my way through the bottle it's complexity is opening up.

I wanted to run the rebel challenge but it was sold out before I could get in. I registered 10 min after the thing opened. We will def have to get a beer, I will be coming in on the 16th leaving the 19th. Never been to CA before so I'm excited. we decided to do the coast to coast challenge and think I'm going to the wine and dine in Disney World. Between now and then PM me your contact info (number or email). We can work it out.
2014-08-25 8:21 AM

User image

hang in there, not speaking from experience only what I have heard but its normal to feel that way. If it was easy everyone would do it. You'll crush it on race day, and I'll have you to lean on you next year when I try my first IM.
2014-08-25 3:53 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Hang in there Charles. You were here for us and now we will be here for you. What ever you need to get through this and to the finish line in a few weeks let us know.

2014-08-25 3:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Rolled back into town yesterday after completing my first OLY. I like it much more than a sprint. So much more that I can't wait to go longer. I felt I could really get into a grove and plug away. It doesn't hurt I was able to hold 21.9 mph on the bike and avg 9:46 on the run. That run pace is smoking for me considering I don't have in a ton of base miles and have been building back slowly.

Oh by the way I got a chance to step up on the podium again. This time 2nd in my AG.

Edited by Burd 2014-08-25 4:00 PM
2014-08-25 4:08 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Burd Rolled back into town yesterday after completing my first OLY. I like it much more than a sprint. So much more that I can't wait to go longer. I felt I could really get into a grove and plug away. It doesn't hurt I was able to hold 21.9 mph on the bike and avg 9:46 on the run. That run pace is smoking for me considering I don't have in a ton of base miles and have been building back slowly. Oh by the way I got a chance to step up on the podium again. This time 2nd in my AG.

Great job Alex, can't wait to see race report...hopefully it will be quicker than David's...

2014-08-25 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I appreciate all the kind words, everyone. Just need to find my groove and settle in, and that really hasn't happened yet.
2014-08-26 7:30 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
One of the great benefits -the main, I´d say- from these awesome group that BDAAS has created is just this: we are not always 100%, and mentally are not always in a great mood. Sometimes, when you read books or magazines or even talk to other athletes, they do not seem to have this up&downs, and realizing that I am not the only one frustrated athlete is extremely rewarding (bad mood for overtraining, or for not being able to go out training for many different issues related with my daily life, work, family....) - thanks for sharing! And wait for me, I really hope to be in a similar situation someday, that would mean that I would have moved from where I am now (Oly still thinking about HIM) to where you are (full IM).
2014-08-26 7:32 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Great job Cynthia! But after such a breakfast, how do you do to balance your diet? Pure fasting I guess...

2014-08-26 7:33 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Congrats!!

Originally posted by Burd

Rolled back into town yesterday after completing my first OLY. I like it much more than a sprint. So much more that I can't wait to go longer. I felt I could really get into a grove and plug away. It doesn't hurt I was able to hold 21.9 mph on the bike and avg 9:46 on the run. That run pace is smoking for me considering I don't have in a ton of base miles and have been building back slowly.

Oh by the way I got a chance to step up on the podium again. This time 2nd in my AG.
2014-08-26 7:35 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

New user
Madrid
One question for the group: how do you keep you mind busy when you go on a long run? May be music.... what about a long ride? I don´t want to use music while riding my bike. What are you thinking in these rides? Making "to do" lists? Just focussing on the scenery? Any suggestions from experience?
2014-08-26 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Juancho
And wait for me, I really hope to be in a similar situation someday, that would mean that I would have moved from where I am now (Oly still thinking about HIM) to where you are (full IM).

Honestly, the jump from olympic to half wasn't bad - it's probably 60% mental and planning, 40% fitness base. I've only been active for about five years, and this year is my second season. Trained and ran two olympics and a marathon last year without major problems, and my longest ride through my first HIM was 60 miles.

Going to full-distance is, literally, a part-time job and major financial commitment. I mean, I spent $70 on Bonk Breakers last month, just so I would be sure they don't screw up my stomach after 70 miles on the bike.
2014-08-26 10:10 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by Juancho One question for the group: how do you keep you mind busy when you go on a long run? May be music.... what about a long ride? I don´t want to use music while riding my bike. What are you thinking in these rides? Making "to do" lists? Just focussing on the scenery? Any suggestions from experience?

When running I listen to a book on tape.  It does a good job of keeping me distracted.  When riding, swimming, or during races I just let my mind wander.  I find doing complex math problems, like what lap am I on 35 or 36, helps when swimming in the pool. 

2014-08-26 10:15 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by Burd Rolled back into town yesterday after completing my first OLY. I like it much more than a sprint. So much more that I can't wait to go longer. I felt I could really get into a grove and plug away. It doesn't hurt I was able to hold 21.9 mph on the bike and avg 9:46 on the run. That run pace is smoking for me considering I don't have in a ton of base miles and have been building back slowly. Oh by the way I got a chance to step up on the podium again. This time 2nd in my AG.

Congrats!

2014-08-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

I went out for my first real ride since Ironman yesterday. Hit the roads hard with 700m of climbing in the Gatineau Hills (near Ottawa). Although I'm still feeling sluggish I did manage a PB for the climb. Even on tired legs my fitness has improved significantly since the last time I rode this route back in June. 

I have a Centurion race at Blue Mountain in two weeks so I'm hoping I can get my legs back (and then some) for a strong finish. That will be my last event of the year so I'd like to end it on a high note (although my wife is trying to get me to do the Scotiabank Waterfront Half Marathon in Toronto). 

I've also decided that I'm going to do another Ironman next summer. I'm far too competitive to be satisfied with my 11:54 time. I want to be the 10:30 range. 

2014-08-26 5:42 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Originally posted by podemma

Originally posted by Juancho One question for the group: how do you keep you mind busy when you go on a long run? May be music.... what about a long ride? I don´t want to use music while riding my bike. What are you thinking in these rides? Making "to do" lists? Just focussing on the scenery? Any suggestions from experience?

When running I listen to a book on tape.  It does a good job of keeping me distracted.  When riding, swimming, or during races I just let my mind wander.  I find doing complex math problems, like what lap am I on 35 or 36, helps when swimming in the pool. 

hahaha i bought a waterproof iPod for the pool. Yes it was scary the first time i jumped in with it but it works. I listen to music on the bike but have my earphones hanging off my ears and the music pretty low. I can still hear ambient sound.
2014-08-26 5:44 PM

User image

I feel like we have gotten a little off track on our post as of late. so to bring us back around and celebrate my 9 mile run and 1400 swim today I am going to have aviator brewing october beast and pumpkin beast to reward myself.
2014-08-26 5:52 PM

User image

I listen to music when I run and when I'm doing something tough running I sing. LOL. Yeah, I'm the crazy lady at the park hooting along with the ipod when running up a steep hill. I think that's been the hardest part of actual race day, is not having that option during the run. I'd be WAY faster if I had music I could huff through.

Biking I mostly let my mind wander but lately I've been trying to do lots of ladder training so am doing a lot of focus on my breathing too. This is way easier on a bike than running for some reason....don't know why. And swimming I really find myself thinking during...in fact I often lose track of where I'm at in the pool lapwise just because I'm lost in thought. When I've been doing the OWS sessions I actually spend the entire time counting. Lately I have been counting ten strokes and sighting. I found that one thing which helped abate the panic during the races I've been in was to remind myself to just focus on counting in increments of ten. It really focuses me on the task at hand which I think is much more critical (the focus part) during the swim portion of the race than anything else.

I honestly think I'd have a hard time with the races if I was as dependent upon music during the bike as I am during the run. (or rather bike training in addition to run training).

Sandi
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50432 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19425 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.