BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-09-03 7:45 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Taper madness has started to settle in. Will start packing tonight, then heading to Wisconsin on Friday, for the big dance on Sunday.

Thank you everyone for all your support.

2014-09-03 8:11 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Winter is coming to Alberta. Snow, blowing snow and poor visibility west of Calgary heading my way. Might be a “fun” ride home. Hope it stays above freezing as i still have the slicks on my bike and haven't moved to studed tires yet.
2014-09-03 10:03 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Taper madness has started to settle in. Will start packing tonight, then heading to Wisconsin on Friday, for the big dance on Sunday.

Thank you everyone for all your support.

Good luck, Charles!!! We'll all be thinking about you this weekend!! You'll be great!!
2014-09-03 10:42 AM

User image

Good luck, Charles!

2014-09-03 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Taper madness has started to settle in. Will start packing tonight, then heading to Wisconsin on Friday, for the big dance on Sunday. Thank you everyone for all your support.

Best of luck! We will be looking forward to the race report.

2014-09-03 2:56 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Get it Charles!

2014-09-03 4:39 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Almost there Charles, enjoy the race!! Best of luck!
2014-09-04 10:01 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Good luck Charles!
2014-09-04 10:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Okay, my race report is below. Dave, I couldn't open your race link for some reason.

All in all I am satisfied with the race in that I figured it would take me 3 hours based on my training (or lack thereof haha) and I pretty much guessed right. I was not happy with my swim start but midway and end of the swim I was happy with. The bike was fun and the hills for last 5 - 8 or so miles were killers and I am very happy I rode this course prior to the race and knew they were coming. T2 went well and my feeling is I can do it faster. My run I'd like to work on. I could have easily knocked quite a few minutes off it if I had I prepared the run better - but then again, with not having planned on these distances this year and the hilly course with last minute changes, I'll take it. The best part was the fact that I felt pretty good after and no major aches or pains. My rest for the calf on the run was probably needed and I avoided a major cramp/pull so I can't regret it.
Post-race beer was a growler of Conehead IPA (followed by some Trapp Lager!).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I'm thinking of doing this one next year. Is it worth the 10 hr drive from NC? it looks fun
2014-09-04 10:47 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by b2b14

Okay, my race report is below. Dave, I couldn't open your race link for some reason.

All in all I am satisfied with the race in that I figured it would take me 3 hours based on my training (or lack thereof haha) and I pretty much guessed right. I was not happy with my swim start but midway and end of the swim I was happy with. The bike was fun and the hills for last 5 - 8 or so miles were killers and I am very happy I rode this course prior to the race and knew they were coming. T2 went well and my feeling is I can do it faster. My run I'd like to work on. I could have easily knocked quite a few minutes off it if I had I prepared the run better - but then again, with not having planned on these distances this year and the hilly course with last minute changes, I'll take it. The best part was the fact that I felt pretty good after and no major aches or pains. My rest for the calf on the run was probably needed and I avoided a major cramp/pull so I can't regret it.

I'm thinking of doing this one next year. Is it worth the 10 hr drive from NC? it looks fun

Are you thinking Oly or HIM? I am looking at the HIM for next year after having completed the Oly this year. Run hills - it isn't a flat course. The lake is nice to swim in - if you can turn it into a week vacation at Lake George it would be worth it - there are tons of things to do. I think it's organized well and you can rack your bike the night before which is nice. The bike racks are nice - easy to get bike in/out of, the swag is decent. I got a t-shirt, metal water bottle, bike water bottle, and an insulated red solo cup - all with Lake George Tri Fest on them. I do want to see if they are going to keep the run change for the HIM for next year. I did two loops this year and they had the HIM folks do four loops which can get boring but aside from that the hills weren't very fun. LOL The HIM bike ride looks beautiful and I hope to ride sections of it - if not this fall then certainly next spring and I can report back then. (I'm big on checking a course out before I race it - helps me mentally).
2014-09-05 11:07 AM

User image

Are you thinking Oly or HIM? I am looking at the HIM for next year after having completed the Oly this year. Run hills - it isn't a flat course. The lake is nice to swim in - if you can turn it into a week vacation at Lake George it would be worth it - there are tons of things to do. I think it's organized well and you can rack your bike the night before which is nice. The bike racks are nice - easy to get bike in/out of, the swag is decent. I got a t-shirt, metal water bottle, bike water bottle, and an insulated red solo cup - all with Lake George Tri Fest on them. I do want to see if they are going to keep the run change for the HIM for next year. I did two loops this year and they had the HIM folks do four loops which can get boring but aside from that the hills weren't very fun. LOL The HIM bike ride looks beautiful and I hope to ride sections of it - if not this fall then certainly next spring and I can report back then. (I'm big on checking a course out before I race it - helps me mentally).

My wife is from Albany area so we would stay for a little while. I'm not sure which I would do (oly or him) I plan on doing beach to battle full next year so it would all depend on where it falls on my plan. .I was at Lake George this summer and thought it was beautiful. As for hill I live in Raleigh its nothing but hills although a little more rolling. Thx for the input I am def putting it on the colander for next year

2014-09-05 6:13 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Hi Dave, i can't view your race report either. When I click on just your name and then your races, I see it in there but it's listed as a draft and you can't open a race report. FYI. :-) We want to read it!

Things have been a bit slow for me since the strange foot injury. I'm bummed as it took me out of a couple of races, but there are a couple more before month's end that I am considering doing. the foot SEEMS better, and I've been using it since I'm certain it wasn't a use injury, but the pain is identical to the metatarsalgia I had earlier in the year--which also occurred as a result of foot placement while working on the computer--so I know I can't push it. So I haven't wanted to do any races where the run was all on concrete. Good news is that yesterday I did 3.5 miles with no problems today, so I'm feeling hopeful. I'd really like to get a couple of additional race experiences under my belt before the season ends. So I'm back at daily workouts.

I'm up for whatever challenge. I'm trying to maintain the same level of training I was at while training for the sprint--basically a solid hour a day of cardio exercise of some form. It allows me to drink an optimal level of beer. :-)

As far as off-season training, I'm starting to develop a mental plan. Question for the group....how good is spinning in terms of preparation and/or training in off season--specifically for the bike portion? I am quite enjoying biking, I know it's something I'll be able to do as I age no matter what, and I really, really want to do Rebecca's Private Idaho next year so will need to start the spring out at a much higher level of bike than I was at earlier. I'm also a much more efficient runner now that I've been biking. I don't worry too much about weather with most of the training...it's fairly mild here in the PNW and I actually love to run in very cold weather, I even prefer the snow over sun. And a pool's a pool. Unfortunately, I also have Reynaud's syndrome and know that despite the mild temperatures, outdoor biking is probably not something I'll be able to do past October....once the temps cool even a little bit I'm prone to the circulation completely cutting off in my fingers. So I really will need to transition to an indoor bike soon.

Sandi
2014-09-07 12:59 AM

User image

HI. My name is Sam and I'm a rookie. So green I glow.

I look at all the posts on here and struggle to write that I'm from the opposite side of the spectrum. I've always been the skinny kid. 6'3" - 145lbs. That was my weight in April. Stress kills my appetite, my metabolism eats my body... I watched the Boulder Ironman this year and became inspired. I will be an Ironman. I'm already registered for the Boulder Sprint Ironman next June and am trying to plan the Muncie 70.3 into my schedule for next summer. That being said, I'm already back to a healthier weight of 170lbs, thanks to a quality gym membership, and training 15-20 hours a week.

I live in Boulder, CO and i'm going through a divorce. My training has given me something to focus on and a goal to achieve. I have 2 beautiful daughters that I miss terribly.

Since high school I haven't played any organized sports or done anything competitive, save for finally running the BolderBoulder 10k this year and last. Last year I ran my heart out to prove a point and I ran a 56:29. That was my first ever timed running event. The first time since my junior year of high school I had intentionally run more than 2 consecutive miles. I was a smoker. This year I had fun, and started enjoying libations just past the first mile. I was DRUNK by the time I finished. And if anyone was there this year and remembers the Guy by the feildhouse giving away extra beer tickets, that was me. My community service... I quite smoking(Cigarettes & Weed) the day after the Boulder Ironman.

I'm originally from SW Ohio. Go Tribe! Go Browns! Go Cavs! Go Pens! I've been in Boulder now for 7 years.

I live in close proximity to the Delicious Brewery: Asher Organic and love their collection of beers - Treehugger Amber, Green Lantern Kolsh, Green Bullet IPA, Greenade DoubleIPA and The Green Monster Strong Ale. Or you could most any IPA in front of me and I'll be happy.

I work in the Hospitality Business and am always on my feet and on the go. The worst job I ever had was at a Hotel Front Desk, I felt trapped in a 4'x12' box. Can't even fathom being in a cubicle...

2014-09-07 7:56 AM

User image

, Vermont

My wife is from Albany area so we would stay for a little while. I'm not sure which I would do (oly or him) I plan on doing beach to battle full next year so it would all depend on where it falls on my plan. .I was at Lake George this summer and thought it was beautiful. As for hill I live in Raleigh its nothing but hills although a little more rolling. Thx for the input I am def putting it on the colander for next year

Great!!! I'll have a chance to meet you and the family and possibly share some beers!! My family will be in tow as well and my husband was apparently so inspired by me doing it this year he wants to do one now too. His comment to me was "you are definitely the trailblazer in this family. You aren't afraid to try anything and in so doing, get us to do/try a lot of it." I took that as possibly the best compliment my husband could ever give me. As you know, Lake George is lovely - just hope for calm winds and no waves. LOL It can get wavy out there! It was a nice course (but my experience is so limited I really don't have much to compare it to).
2014-09-07 8:16 AM

User image

, Vermont
Hi all!
Not much happening here. My back threatened to go out on my Tuesday so I've been laying low all week. It's still sore - try to hit the chiropractor Monday. I'm supposed to ride 40 Tuesday with a friend but wondering if that's wise with my back. Play it by ear.

Hey, question: About Monday or Tuesday of last week (couple of days after the race) my ankles - right in particular - were swelling up. They aren't quite back to normal even now. In the past when I've put out a good effort this will occasionally happen and I usually remedy it by going for a long run - re-disperses the lymphatic fluid. Am I a good candidate for those compression socks/sleeves I see people wearing on their legs? I'm thinking I may have to go that route. This happened last fall too when I hiked a mountain here on a Thursday at quite a fast pace and had a Half Mary on Sunday. My ankles were so swollen I feared I wouldn't be able to race but gave it a shot anyway, PR'd my race time and the swelling was completely gone. Interesting.
2014-09-07 3:50 PM

User image

Great!!! I'll have a chance to meet you and the family and possibly share some beers!! My family will be in tow as well and my husband was apparently so inspired by me doing it this year he wants to do one now too. His comment to me was "you are definitely the trailblazer in this family. You aren't afraid to try anything and in so doing, get us to do/try a lot of it." I took that as possibly the best compliment my husband could ever give me. As you know, Lake George is lovely - just hope for calm winds and no waves. LOL It can get wavy out there! It was a nice course (but my experience is so limited I really don't have much to compare it to).

Sounds good to me. If we cant all get together I will meet you all one at a time LOL. I think I am going to do the oly so i don't over extend myself before my iron man. I wish my wife would do a tri with me but she adamantly refuses to even try to swim. I did 55 miles today (every ride now is a new longest ride) it threatened to rain on me but i finished before football and the rain After the ride my daughter showed me that she has learned to ride without training wheels (at least for a short distance) and the wife and i went shopping for dinner. Its fall so we spent 1/2 our grocery bill on pumpkin beer (I cant brew mine till i can buy a pumpkin from one of the farms).

2014-09-07 3:58 PM
in reply to: S_Franklin99

User image

Welcome Sam,

dont worry about being green I'm possibly just a slightly darker shade of green myself. Tri is a great way to keep in shape and a really great stress relief. There is a lot of knowledge and support in this group. I will pray for you and the tough times you are in but have faith you will pull though and things will get better.
2014-09-07 6:08 PM

User image

Welcome Sam,

dont worry about being green I'm possibly just a slightly darker shade of green myself. Tri is a great way to keep in shape and a really great stress relief. There is a lot of knowledge and support in this group. I will pray for you and the tough times you are in but have faith you will pull though and things will get better.

Thanks. And I love that you said it will get better. That's one of my mantras.

Oh, and on a whim this morning I registered for a SPRINT TRI that's TWO weeks out!!
2014-09-07 7:19 PM
in reply to: S_Franklin99

User image

Expert
Originally posted by S_Franklin99

HI. My name is Sam and I'm a rookie. So green I glow.

I'm originally from SW Ohio. Go Tribe! Go Browns! Go Cavs! Go Pens! I've been in Boulder now for 7 years.

Hey Sam! I'm from Cleveland and anyone who cheers for the Browns and Indians is welcome! It sounds like you are going through some rough times - but this is a pretty supportive group! We will be here to support you and cheer you on as you head towards your goal of finishing Ironman Boulder! Having just completed one three weeks ago - I can tell you that it's one of the most amazing journeys. You will love it and hate it but in the end, you will learn a lot about how tough you really are!

Congrats of quitting smoking! You just did something wonderful for those two girls of yours!
2014-09-07 7:29 PM

User image

Expert
Ive been keeping an eye on Charles all day and he is doing great. (Sam - he's about 7 miles into the marathon at IMWI). He was out of the water in 1:32 and finished the bike in less than 7:30. It was amazing how consistent he was on the bike - right around 15 miles per hour from start to end! He's half way through the marathon and should be finished in another 2 hours!

Go Charles!
2014-09-07 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
OK - It's time to go back to work. I'm three weeks out from my IMMT finish and my body should be good to go. I own more than 15 pairs of pants and I can't get into more than half of them. My 50K race to raise money and awareness is 15 weeks away. My biggest challenge is going to be to get my eating under control. So - here is the commitment I'm going to make to my group - I'm gonna count all my calories and complete the week with a 3500 calorie deficit. If I fall short - well... I've got a coors light that's been sitting on the top of my fridge since last December that ought to taste really bad... the threat of a warm Coors Light Penalty should be enough to get my a$$ in gear!

Have a good week everyone. Anyone else besides Charles race this weekend? And what's the challenge for the month?

2014-09-07 7:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sandishr

Hi Dave, i can't view your race report either. When I click on just your name and then your races, I see it in there but it's listed as a draft and you can't open a race report. FYI. :-) We want to read it!
Sandi

Sandi - Woops - Forgot to punch the make it public button. I spent two weeks writing it - the least I could do is to let people read it
http://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=253709

Edited by Qua17 2014-09-07 7:52 PM
2014-09-08 5:35 AM

User image

Dave the dreaded coors light challenge is enough to get anyone motivated. Its raining so hard (all night and still this morning) that it looks like no running due to miniature lakes every where. I will try to swim if the pools are open, or it will be a rest day. I am getting some significant pain in my knee not sure what it is. I had it when i was training for a marathon and just ran though it, it eventually went away but then i got a stress fracture in my tib (opposite leg).

Scott
2014-09-08 7:44 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Qua17

Sandi

Sandi - Woops - Forgot to punch the make it public button. I spent two weeks writing it - the least I could do is to let people read it

Dave, I don't know about others but I still can't open it for some reason. It brings me back to a login page telling me my login is incorrect. Weird. The anticipation is killing me! LOL I'll try to access it by going through your profile page.
Cheers,
Jenn
2014-09-08 8:07 AM

User image

, Vermont

Originally posted by Qua17

Sandi

Dave, I don't know about others but I still can't open it for some reason. It brings me back to a login page telling me my login is incorrect. Weird. The anticipation is killing me! LOL I'll try to access it by going through your profile page.
Cheers,
Jenn

Okay, got to it through your profile page. Very nice report!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50383 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19403 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.