BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-09-16 8:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by sandishr

Originally posted by Qua17

Perhaps the only thing more impressive is the quality of the beer they served as the finish line. Deschutes is a beer I am dying to try (they don't ship past Illinois) and I have heard good things about the Inversion.

I am a HUGE Deschutes fan. Currently my go-to is the Mirror Pond Pale but I love the Red Chair (it's seasonal).

Hmmm. We might need to give you a little Deschutes incentive to stick to your calorie goals. I completely empathize....I've been so good and proud of myself all summer maintaining weight, the training has kept it super easy to stay where I want to while still pretty much eating/drinking what I want. However...what I've discovered is that "eating/drinking what I want" means I can drink beer and eat pretty well. It does NOT mean I can eat beer, eat pretty well, and indulge in sugar on any sort of regular basis. And unfortunately, once I started racing I also started indulging in sugar on a regular basis. So MY monthly goal is to continue training like I have a race to prepare for (I don't), NOT buy dessert or sweets, and I AM NOT ALLOWED TO VISIT THE WHOLE FOODS BREAKFAST BAR. ONCE, LET ALONE DAILY. (Can you envision creme brulee french toast bake? With berries? Do yourself a favor...DON'T.)

Sandi

Mmm - Creme Brulee french toast... Now that is tempting Kudos on resisting that temptation and eating more healthily.

Two thoughts: 1 - You should sign up for a fall race. It's always good to have a goal. 2) We should have a October weight loss challenge...However - if you can figure out how to get me a bottle of Deschutes - I'm ready to take on that challenge!

Dave

Edited by Qua17 2014-09-16 8:49 PM

2014-09-16 8:54 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
I had to go for a ride in the dark but I got my workout in! Before the sun set, my youngest son (who is training for a kids race in 2 weeks) and I went out for a ride. With all the issues he has from his TBI and from the lasting effects from his bout with Guillian Barre - he's pretty slow. Some one actually passed us while they were running. But at least he is out there making it happen. After he got in his 3 miles - I was able to get another 7 in... God, it's fun to ride some times.

For the record. I ended the day 500 calories below my goal. No Coors LIte for me!
2014-09-16 11:08 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

, Vermont
Hello! Sandi, congrats!!! That's fantastic!! You earned a little of that french toast! Don't feel too bad about it!

After two weeks out of it I got a short two mile run in on Sunday and swam 2200 yards today. It felt good to get out and do something today! Hopefully the weather stays as predicted and I can get a ride in tomorrow.
I need to do a little more catching up on folks but it's now after midnight and I have turned into a pumpkin. (Pumpkin latte, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin creemees,.....fall is here)
Cheers! Be safe, be fit, be happy!
2014-09-17 5:31 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

congrats Sandi!

longest ride and run before the HIM are done. I did 60 miles on bike this weekend. I was riding a new route and from mile 15 to mile 30 I was killing it beating my goal and feeling good, in fact I was holding back not to push too hard and bonk out, at the 30 mile mark (where I planned to turn around) There was a water stop for a HIM that was going on. I stopped told them I was not involved in the race but was training for a race and they filled my bottles, so big shout out to FS series volunteers. On the way back I was struggling, I felt ok but my speed was way down until mile 45. When I got home and looked at the data it was a long very gradual hill, it was shallow enough I didn't really notice b/c of the rolling hills mixed in. Overall it went great I finished and felt like I could keep going. Yesterday I ran 14 and made sure I kept my pace slow in the beginning and felt great for the whole run.
2014-09-17 9:25 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I'm going to stick with the gloves, figure it can't cost me too much time in transition and it will make the ride a lot more comfortable.

I also think I'm going to go with the blue bar tape.  I need to re-wrap may bars anyway and I have it on hand (I bought it for a build that never happened).  I think it will also give me a little piece of mind even if it is unnecessary.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.

September 28th can't come soon enough.  I'm ready to tackle this beast!

2014-09-17 12:49 PM
in reply to: podemma

User image

David, unfortunately after this coming weekend there don't appear to be any local races--tris, at least. I'll definitely enter some 5K's and am thinking about a duathlon in San Diego in November if I can get my hands on a bike (I'll be on vacation there then). BUT I am still planning on training as though I do have a race. What I've discovered this summer is that if I can burn ~500 calories a day, I'm pretty much good to go with my weight AS LONG AS I STAY AWAY FROM SUGAR. Rather, as long as I stay away from the Whole Foods breakfast bar. And Jenn...it wasn't one indulgence. We're talking daily. So I now have some work to do. And David, I can figure out a way to get you some Deschutes. :-)

2014-09-18 7:35 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

This is my hell week at work, M-Thur day shift then Sat-Sun nights. The good news is that I only work Fri-Sun for the next 4 weeks, but had to take 2 of those off due to races so I am basically a part timer for the next month.

I read that the beach to battle half does not have the current pull that the full does and I may even be swimming against the current a little. I picked this race because my swim is my weakest event. That coupled with the fact that summer is over and pools are now closed meaning I have to find an indoor pool to train which limits my training possibilities. I am really nervous now.....
2014-09-18 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by b2b14

This is my hell week at work, M-Thur day shift then Sat-Sun nights. The good news is that I only work Fri-Sun for the next 4 weeks, but had to take 2 of those off due to races so I am basically a part timer for the next month.

I read that the beach to battle half does not have the current pull that the full does and I may even be swimming against the current a little. I picked this race because my swim is my weakest event. That coupled with the fact that summer is over and pools are now closed meaning I have to find an indoor pool to train which limits my training possibilities. I am really nervous now.....

The most important thing, in my mind, is to relax about the swim. Every major event has a ton of swim support, and I presume B2B does too. At IMWI, they actually had a rest raft at the back, plus all the kayakers, boats, SUPs, and whatever else that floats.

For the cold water swim, make sure you swim in cold water. It's one thing for me to tell you that, after 10 minutes, you'll enjoy the cold water, but another to actually know it. I prefer sub-70 wetsuit swims, since I don't roast in the wetsuit, but those first 10 minutes are brutal. Then your toes, hands, and face acclimate and it feels great. That initial cold shock, however, is really rough. Also, if you do a cold swim, near the end, shuck your wetsuit and finish up in your normal suit, to really feel the cold.

For the start, just sit near the back. At IMWI, I actually waited a moment after the cannon to start swimming, and still passed a bunch of people. Get comfortable in your wetsuit, and just bob around for 10 minutes.

Good luck, and I hope it helps.
2014-09-18 5:26 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert

David, unfortunately after this coming weekend there don't appear to be any local races--tris, at least. I'll definitely enter some 5K's and am thinking about a duathlon in San Diego in November if I can get my hands on a bike (I'll be on vacation there then). BUT I am still planning on training as though I do have a race. What I've discovered this summer is that if I can burn ~500 calories a day, I'm pretty much good to go with my weight AS LONG AS I STAY AWAY FROM SUGAR. Rather, as long as I stay away from the Whole Foods breakfast bar. And Jenn...it wasn't one indulgence. We're talking daily. So I now have some work to do. And David, I can figure out a way to get you some Deschutes. :-)

Sorry to hear that there aren't a lot of tris left on your local calendar. I think it's a great ideas to sign up for some running races as it will keep you in shape and allow you to drink more beer.

As for the Deschutes - how? I live at a boarding school and shipping it thorugh the mail won't work. Do you know something I don't know?
2014-09-18 5:32 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Originally posted by b2b14

The most important thing, in my mind, is to relax about the swim. Every major event has a ton of swim support, and I presume B2B does too. At IMWI, they actually had a rest raft at the back, plus all the kayakers, boats, SUPs, and whatever else that floats.

For the cold water swim, make sure you swim in cold water. It's one thing for me to tell you that, after 10 minutes, you'll enjoy the cold water, but another to actually know it. I prefer sub-70 wetsuit swims, since I don't roast in the wetsuit, but those first 10 minutes are brutal. Then your toes, hands, and face acclimate and it feels great. That initial cold shock, however, is really rough. Also, if you do a cold swim, near the end, shuck your wetsuit and finish up in your normal suit, to really feel the cold.

For the start, just sit near the back. At IMWI, I actually waited a moment after the cannon to start swimming, and still passed a bunch of people. Get comfortable in your wetsuit, and just bob around for 10 minutes.

Good luck, and I hope it helps.

X2...

I would also say that I totally understand the worry. I've worried a ton prior to all my big races. But the truth of the matter is that you can do this. Sure, the swim might be tough but it's the shortest part of a half ironman. Plus - you can draft off a fatty like me. I did that at my last race and I know it saved me a ton of energy. You will get this done. I know it!

One more thought - if you don't finish - you'll be forced to drink a warm coors lite! If that doesn't motivate you - I don't know what will!

Edited by Qua17 2014-09-18 5:35 PM
2014-09-18 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Bad day at work. Went for a run... Felt better almost immediately but it didn't last long... I knew something was wrong about 2 miles in when I started to get dizzy. After three I started to feel nauseous. Came home early and still feel urpy!

If I feel better - I'm gonna brew tonight at my church. A Pumpkin and a wheat. Should be good.

Onward!

2014-09-19 10:19 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by b2b14 This is my hell week at work, M-Thur day shift then Sat-Sun nights. The good news is that I only work Fri-Sun for the next 4 weeks, but had to take 2 of those off due to races so I am basically a part timer for the next month. I read that the beach to battle half does not have the current pull that the full does and I may even be swimming against the current a little. I picked this race because my swim is my weakest event. That coupled with the fact that summer is over and pools are now closed meaning I have to find an indoor pool to train which limits my training possibilities. I am really nervous now.....

If you have comfortably done the distance in the pool recently then you should be fine.  I would try to get a few more swims in before the race just to ease your mind.  You might want to check out http://www.swimmersguide.com/Default.aspx if you are having a hard time finding an indoor pool.  There may be one you did not know about.

Best of luck and as everyone else said it's mostly mental!

2014-09-19 11:42 AM
in reply to: podemma

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Finally lost my left toenail - a sacrifice to the gods of Marathon and Ironman. Cutting away the dead nail is so weird.

Still lacking motivation to get back in the game. I'm just so blah right now. Getting fat too. Still logging nutrition, but the numbers are terrible. There's just no fire in me right now.
2014-09-19 11:44 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon Finally lost my left toenail - a sacrifice to the gods of Marathon and Ironman. Cutting away the dead nail is so weird. Still lacking motivation to get back in the game. I'm just so blah right now. Getting fat too. Still logging nutrition, but the numbers are terrible. There's just no fire in me right now.

not surprising. It took me almost 4 weeks before I was feeling good again. My legs came back right before my big centurion race last weekend. Do some unstructured easy rides. I tried to push and do hill training two weeks after Ironman and it nearly killed me. 

2014-09-19 12:00 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Finally lost my left toenail - a sacrifice to the gods of Marathon and Ironman. Cutting away the dead nail is so weird. Still lacking motivation to get back in the game. I'm just so blah right now. Getting fat too. Still logging nutrition, but the numbers are terrible. There's just no fire in me right now.

Any local events coming up that you can sign up for? Even a 5k/10k just to put something on the calendar, I know it helps me keep motivated and moving.

2014-09-19 12:15 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Speaking of events on the calendar, Sunday is my first Olympic distance triathlon at TriRock San Diego! I'm feeling pretty good about it. My target is around the 3 hour mark and finishing with a smile on my face

2014-09-19 2:03 PM

User image

As for the Deschutes - how? I live at a boarding school and shipping it thorugh the mail won't work. Do you know something I don't know?

Does being at the boarding school prevent you from receiving a shipment of unmarked beer? Sooo...let's say I wrap a couple of bottles up really, really well and send them in a shoe box? :-)

I mean honestly, everyone needs to try Deschutes.

S.
2014-09-19 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Hmmm I might go back to church if I could brew.

Edited by SportzVision 2014-09-19 3:13 PM
2014-09-19 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by MOlsen

Speaking of events on the calendar, Sunday is my first Olympic distance triathlon at TriRock San Diego! I'm feeling pretty good about it. My target is around the 3 hour mark and finishing with a smile on my face

I have done that tri three times..now I am really bummed i won't be there this year! Its a beautiful race well because its in beautiful San Diego...I used to live in Coronado.

Tips you ask? Yes, I know you didn't but I am just that kind of gal to give 'em to you anyway...

The railroad tracks are harsh, they cover them with indoor/outdoor rugs and it helps a little. Last year it was the tide coming in that got a lot of us on the swim. Boats were pulling people in, people were clinging to the buoys and SUP's crying and they told us to turn around. My first two years that did not happen and a lot of swimmers made it through the entire swim. I am a weak swimmer and am always at the back of the pack so I am sure that is what made the difference. On the run the race is open to the public. You are running along the walk way at Seaport Village and there are tourist walking in the path way. My first year I was way in over my head and came in dead last! Improved immensely my second year and did ok last year...for me.

Its a fun venue and the cover bands are fun. Have a great time! Color me jealous!
2014-09-19 3:28 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Well its been awhile..I am still on the eat enough protein band wagon and am down to 157. I got to ride in a hot air balloon during the Reno Balloon Races...totally awesome! Plugging along in school, the family is good the grandson is too cute for words, work is work...didn't get the job in town so still making the 70 mile trek to work each morning and night. Training is better but still struggle to get it all done. Oh and the fires!!! Fires in Tahoe+ smoke in the Meadows = poor air conditions...too poor to train in. The Tahoe Ironman is this weekend so even if there is fire I am headed up the mountain to watch. This will be my first exposure to an Ironman event. looking forward to watching it as the race unfolds. Hopefully the race will not be cancelled and that the fires don't do much more damage. The cause of the fire is arson...jerk!

I will check in later! Ciao!
2014-09-19 3:46 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Thank you for the tips, Cynthia!

2014-09-19 6:03 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

I had to go for a ride in the dark but I got my workout in! Before the sun set, my youngest son (who is training for a kids race in 2 weeks) and I went out for a ride. With all the issues he has from his TBI and from the lasting effects from his bout with Guillian Barre - he's pretty slow. Some one actually passed us while they were running. But at least he is out there making it happen. After he got in his 3 miles - I was able to get another 7 in... God, it's fun to ride some times.

For the record. I ended the day 500 calories below my goal. No Coors LIte for me!

Unforgettable ride, also for him!
Hope you are doing better....
2014-09-19 6:05 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Enjoy the race, have fun!
2014-09-19 8:27 PM

User image

Oregon City, Oregon
Okay, I'll admit the first thing that caught my eye is the word "Beer"... So I'm furiously scribbling away at my application to join up here, before last call...

NAME: Steve

STORY: I did my first tri at the young age of 23. The group I raced with had as the post-race beer of choice Bud Light. Hey, this is 1988 I'm talking about! I started out in San Francisco, went to Boulder, CO, bounced down to Tucson, AZ, and finally I'm here in the Portland Area. I'm glad to be back on the West Coast. I've been away from tri's for a while, and am now starting back.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm into my 3rd week of pre-base building for next season

THIS YEAR'S EVENTS: Seattle to Portland 2 day ride, Portland Century, and the Tour de Blast, 82 miles from Toutle, WA to Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument and back.

2015 EVENTS: Napa Valley Marathon, Portland Rock 'n Roll 1/2 Marathon, Clackamette Triathlon (Sprint), Pacific Crest Triathlon (either Oly or 1/2 IM), and Ironman Canada

BEER OF CHOICE: Gawd, I love Portland; so many choices, the answer is either "yes", or "all of the above"... I was recently turned on to Deschutes Fresh Squeezed Ale, but I'd have to say my "go to" beer is the Deluxe Organic Ale by Hopworks Urban Brewery.

WEIGHT LOSS: I started out this year at 230, a far cry from my 1988 racing weight of 155. As of this morning, I'm sitting at 205

WHY I WOULD BE A GOOD MENTEE: I've done solo training, and I find I do much better with a group. I enjoy the social aspect of group training.
2014-09-20 2:35 PM
in reply to: Steve64

User image

Welcome Steve.

So I am running a race this coming Saturday in Wilmington. I signed up so I could do some training in Wilmington and maybe get in a practice swim for the half. What I realized today is that I will be doing almost the exact same swim as the half (1500 meters of it) in the same water using the same T1 and the bike course has some overlap. That should be a large confidence booster. I will even be staying at the same hotel.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50356 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19396 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.