BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-10-09 2:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by Juancho

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by Juancho

Did my Oly this weekend (Marbella, Málaga, Spain) - beautiful weather! Unfortunately, my swimming glasses broke just before the gun went (I had read about it, but never though it would happen to me....) so I started asking around for a spare set and a nice mother gave me her little daughter swimming glasses, tiny pink (better than nothing...). Out of the water in 33min, then beautiful and fast bike ride at 36km/h (never been so fast) that I paid off in the run (56min for 10k). Great experience and huge confidence for my goal 2015: HIM

Fantastic!!! You were smoking on the bike!! Good for you!! Tempranillo after??

hahaha....first freezing, cold local beer (Victoria), but then, for dinner, wonderful local fried fish with marvelous tempranillo, could not be better! But I have to say since I joined this great group, I am extremely curious about beer, and every city or country I visit, I try local beers, still learnining.

Haha! That's great! I loooove Tempranillos, Riojas, a good Port, you name it. Local beers are definitely the way to go - they have a lot more riding on making it perfect. - Had to edit and add - I had such great Port in Lisbon and on Terceira, Azores...if I hadn't been working, it could have been dangerous. LOL

4/28 with a 3 mile run today. Trying to put some kind of "workout plan" together for the next few months to stay on track. Looking to swim Tues/Thurs, bike or spin 2x's a week, and get 2-3 runs in there too and some kind of weight training.
I'm loving the vanilla Pea Protein I picked up from Pure Vegan - tastes like cake batter with almond milk and half a banana mixed in. Strange that I'm dropping weight and I know i'm not working out harder than the summer. We'll see if this protein kicks in and does its thing! I need strength.

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-10-09 2:01 PM

2014-10-09 2:18 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
A quick plug for something cool:

Hey, if any of you have daughters, PBS is doing a wonderful series called "Makers: Women Who Make America." There are six in a series of varying topics: Women in Politics, Women in Space, Women in Comedy, Women in Music, Women in the Military, and I'm blanking on the last one. (maybe Women in Sports?). Anyway, it's a wonderful series to encourage girls to look beyond the "normal girl jobs" if you will, to let girls know of many more options where there are few women . You can usually Google it through your local PBS station. I just sat on a panel last night after a public viewing of Women in Space to discuss how it relates to my particular field (pilot). It was really nice to see a few girls in the audience and the excited looks on their faces..."maybe someday I can be an astronaut or engineer." I just wanted to throw that out there for folks of daughters because I know we have a few here.

Thanks.
2014-10-09 4:20 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Hey, if any of you have daughters, PBS is doing a wonderful series called "Makers: Women Who Make America." There are six in a series of varying topics: Women in Politics, Women in Space, Women in Comedy, Women in Music, Women in the Military, and I'm blanking on the last one. (maybe Women in Sports?). Anyway, it's a wonderful series to encourage girls to look beyond the "normal girl jobs" if you will, to let girls know of many more options where there are few women . You can usually Google it through your local PBS station. I just sat on a panel last night after a public viewing of Women in Space to discuss how it relates to my particular field (pilot). It was really nice to see a few girls in the audience and the excited looks on their faces..."maybe someday I can be an astronaut or engineer." I just wanted to throw that out there for folks of daughters because I know we have a few here.

Thanks.

Sounds great, will look for it. My daughter (13) does not want to be a princess anymore, now journalism seems to be her like, but will try to watch this series with her. Thanks for sharing!
2014-10-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Woohoo! Personal record time! Yesterday I ran my "first anniversary" half-marathon (a year ago I ran this course as my first HM) and I broke the 2 hour barrier for the first time! My right leg is a bit tight and sore, at about mile 10 the main tendon down the back of the knee started to tighten up. I slowed my pace just a tad and pushed through for a record time. 

2014-10-13 8:08 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Woohoo! Personal record time! Yesterday I ran my "first anniversary" half-marathon (a year ago I ran this course as my first HM) and I broke the 2 hour barrier for the first time! My right leg is a bit tight and sore, at about mile 10 the main tendon down the back of the knee started to tighten up. I slowed my pace just a tad and pushed through for a record time. 

Mark - that is amazing! You have battled through injury and have come out on top! Congrats! I hope that knee heals quickly so you can get back at it!

DQ
2014-10-13 8:10 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks.

Cool - my daughter is a bit young (or maybe not) but I'm sure my 5th and 6th graders would be interested! Thanks for passing it along!

2014-10-13 8:15 PM

User image

Expert

3/28 with a bike, a spin, and a swim.

taping a show with PBS tonight - yikes - what's the trick - picture everyone naked, right? I will definitely be wanting a beer afterwards! LOL

Taping a show? What, do we have a star in our midst?
2014-10-13 8:24 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Two highlights to report. On Friday, I had my first appointment with the PT that helped put Humpty Dumpty back together again and helped me to finish my IM. I had't seen him since June and it was great to reconnect. I am so grateful to him for all he did to help me and it was nice to thank him in person. He gave me some well earned guff about my self imposed PT holiday and I left with a new routine. Now I've just got to remember to do it.

On Sunday - I banged out ten miles on an absolutely beautiful morning. It was a great run and I felt good throughout the entire workout so it gives me hope for my 30 miler ten weeks from now.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get in another run and then I'd like to take my bike out for a spin on Wednesday. It's been a while since I rode it - time to take advantage of the weather before it starts to snow and I have to hear about the balmy weather down in Florida from our crack weather man Alex.

A late happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends!
2014-10-14 1:49 PM

User image

, Vermont
6/28 with a very windy (but warm bike ride). Yikes, I'm falling way behind.
2014-10-14 1:58 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Qua17

3/28 with a bike, a spin, and a swim.

taping a show with PBS tonight - yikes - what's the trick - picture everyone naked, right? I will definitely be wanting a beer afterwards! LOL

Taping a show? What, do we have a star in our midst?

No, no, not at all. I sat on a panel and reviewed "Makers: Women Who Make America - Space & Astronauts" series, fielded questions from an audience and gave a synopsis as to my experiences in a male dominated field and ideas about how to possibly get the word out to girls that these fields are in fact open to women. It was taped. There were a few young ladies in the audience - middle schoolers and younger. It was cool to see their faces light up at potential new things they could consider studying.
You can watch the series online by googling PBS and looking up the title. My panel discussion won't be on the nation-wide PBS site, only our local PBS station.
2014-10-14 2:00 PM

User image

, Vermont

Two highlights to report. On Friday, I had my first appointment with the PT that helped put Humpty Dumpty back together again and helped me to finish my IM. I had't seen him since June and it was great to reconnect. I am so grateful to him for all he did to help me and it was nice to thank him in person. He gave me some well earned guff about my self imposed PT holiday and I left with a new routine. Now I've just got to remember to do it.

On Sunday - I banged out ten miles on an absolutely beautiful morning. It was a great run and I felt good throughout the entire workout so it gives me hope for my 30 miler ten weeks from now.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get in another run and then I'd like to take my bike out for a spin on Wednesday. It's been a while since I rode it - time to take advantage of the weather before it starts to snow and I have to hear about the balmy weather down in Florida from our crack weather man Alex.

A late happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends!

This run must seem almost relaxing after prepping for IM Tremblant! You're going to be great!!

2014-10-14 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Mark - that is amazing! You have battled through injury and have come out on top! Congrats! I hope that knee heals quickly so you can get back at it! DQ

Thanks! My leg is already loosening up and I went for an easy paced 3 mile run today and felt (mostly) fine. Still have one more Oly in November and a half marathon at the end of December to finish off a strong year that started tough.

edit: Race report!

Edited by MOlsen 2014-10-14 4:23 PM
2014-10-15 1:35 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

New user
Madrid

Well done Mark! That was a pretty fast pace after all you have had in 2014, great achievement!
2014-10-16 12:40 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Veteran
Illinois
The struggle continues for motivation, and weight loss, and everything else, but I am making small strides in a generally forward direct. Back in the 18X, which is great. I'm feeling in control on eating again, which is important. Running is feeling okay.

Public Service Announcement, generally: if you haven't changed or retired your running shoes recently, it's probably time. I only get about 300 to 400 miles out of a pair, and then, when I go get a new pair, I realize how much I was killing my feet.

My new pair of Saucony Ignifition 4s ($50 at Shoe Carnival, plus half off a pair of winter boots!) feel nice, and the price was right. I want to try out the new Kinvara 5s or Cortana 4s, but at $100 and $140, there's no way.
2014-10-17 10:52 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

, Vermont
Wow, only 7/28 with the two windy rides in a row. The second day was 33 miles on some stout, rolling hills. The last 10 miles of the route is one I commonly do and the wind was so strong my time was almost double the usual time I ride it! It was crazy! Days like that I wish I had a power meter to prove to myself I was really putting in the effort! It was 78 and humid and I'll take it for mid-October!! Loved it! The boys wore shorts to school - unheard of!
We are back to the cool, rainy weather more common to VT in October, but it was lovely while it lasted!
2014-10-17 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

Bib 1504 for beach to battle. Guess this is happening. Back doesn't feel great but I did a sprint with no pain. Been swimming and a little biking but mostly ice and rest for 2 weeks. Doc says I need an mri, but I'm putting it off till after the race

2014-10-18 8:24 AM
in reply to: #5061010

User image

Got up this morning to do my last ride before the race to find I have a broken spoke on my rear wheel. I heard something rattling on my last ride but it stopped. The spoke was pinned between other spokes. Guess it's time for a new wheel set. Will do my ride tomorrow
2014-10-18 9:37 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by b2b14

Bib 1504 for beach to battle. Guess this is happening. Back doesn't feel great but I did a sprint with no pain. Been swimming and a little biking but mostly ice and rest for 2 weeks. Doc says I need an mri, but I'm putting it off till after the race

1504 is your lucky number! When is it?
2014-10-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
14/28. Not looking to good on making it. The days are running out real fast. Still off the run Been 4 weeks and I can finally walk without pain...well most of the time. Doc on Wed.
2014-10-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

New user
Madrid
As Charles mentioned, I find it difficult to stay highly motivated for training if I do not have short/mid term goal. These days I try do work out 3-4 days per week -easy run, indoor spinning, a bit of swimming- while browsing web pages to update my cycling shoes, a new helmet may be.... I am finding extremely useful two books: Don Fink´s Iron fit secrets of half iron distance and Mat Dixon's The well build triathlete. Both are full with extremely practical info about how to improve our performance without waste-miles or waste-training hours. How do you go through off-season months?
2014-10-18 2:23 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Originally posted by Burd

Next saterday (25th). It is my first Half. Bike is at the shop and will be ready Monday, since I don't need new wheels I am going to buy new peddles, and possibly start saving for the new p3. black and grey very nice

2014-10-19 9:28 AM

User image

New user
Madrid

Originally posted by Burd

Next saterday (25th). It is my first Half. Bike is at the shop and will be ready Monday, since I don't need new wheels I am going to buy new peddles, and possibly start saving for the new p3. black and grey very nice

Good luck! I hope to get there in my first HIM in 2015, let us know how it goes, enjoy the race!!
2014-10-20 8:56 AM

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
This Oct has been brutal for training for me. After my first sprint in Sep, motivation has been difficult to maintain. Plus I am just now recovering from one of the worst colds I have ever had. Fall is in full swing in the north, had one crazy snow storm in Sept but since then it has actually been much nicer than typical so I can't even use the weather as an excuse! Head down and power through perhaps? Or perhaps it is time to step back and develop an offseason training plan?

Edited by Jeakins 2014-10-20 8:57 AM
2014-10-20 8:41 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

unless you have a race planned then i would say come up with your off season plan. I think for Nov we should do a weights challenge. Nothing crazy maybe 3 times a week focused on legs/shoulders.
2014-10-20 8:53 PM

User image

Race weather is forecast at 73/50. I was able to get a free pair of arm warmers thx to a gift certificate that i found in a drawer at the house. i am also going to have a trash bag with a head whole and arm holes for when i first get on the bike to cut the wind till it starts to warm up. I figure i can dump it at a stop. I'm afraid to do anything like that for the legs. once the sun has been up for a while i should be fine.

this is how i was feeling this week, but now i am getting better

(fts.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fts.jpg (11KB - 3 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50184 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19321 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.