BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-10-22 8:23 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Nope no races planned until the spring. I would have to travel significantly to find a race this time of year. Still trying to ride to/from work but it is getting very dark and cold. It was about 32 F this morning and sunrise isn't expected until after 8 am.

A weights challenge sounds interesting. November will be a challenge for me as I am on the road for 1/2 the month. I still need to continue improving my base cardio so I will need to keep that a significant part of my plan too. I will find something that fits. If you all do the challenge I am in.

Originally posted by b2b14

unless you have a race planned then i would say come up with your off season plan. I think for Nov we should do a weights challenge. Nothing crazy maybe 3 times a week focused on legs/shoulders.

2014-10-22 1:15 PM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

, Vermont
Prayers to our Canadian friends. So sorry to hear of this senseless tragedy.

2014-10-22 1:17 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Vermont
Have ordered the "Triathlete's Training Bible" and Swim Speed Workouts for Swimmers and Triathletes." Hoping for "Workouts in a Binder for Indoor Cycling" for Christmas. Bring on the off-season!
2014-10-22 3:13 PM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by b2b14 Race weather is forecast at 73/50. I was able to get a free pair of arm warmers thx to a gift certificate that i found in a drawer at the house. i am also going to have a trash bag with a head whole and arm holes for when i first get on the bike to cut the wind till it starts to warm up. I figure i can dump it at a stop. I'm afraid to do anything like that for the legs. once the sun has been up for a while i should be fine. this is how i was feeling this week, but now i am getting better

That sounds like perfect weather for a race.  Maybe a little cool at the beginning but once you get going it should be nice.

Best of luck to you!

2014-10-22 3:50 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
That´s too bad....front page in all newspapers in Spain -

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Prayers to our Canadian friends. So sorry to hear of this senseless tragedy.

2014-10-22 3:52 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
I found the 'Training Bible' a bit too technical, what about the other two? Looking for new ways to keep the training in fair shape

Have ordered the "Triathlete's Training Bible" and Swim Speed Workouts for Swimmers and Triathletes." Hoping for "Workouts in a Binder for Indoor Cycling" for Christmas. Bring on the off-season!

2014-10-23 3:02 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

I *had* an off-season training plan, but one trip to the stationary bike at the gym pretty much nixed that for me. BORING. And it didn't feel like it would be overly helpful to me on-season. Am I wrong...is stationary bike work going to help my bike speed next year? I need motivation to continue it since I found it pretty miserable, and if it's not going to be helpful then I'm coming up with something else!

I'm still running 3-4x week, but want to come up with something for the other 3. Swimming would be an option, but I have a sinus infection and am staying out of the pool for the time being. The other complicating factor there is that I'm terribly allergic to chlorine which is why I really enjoyed swimming in lakes this summer (probably causing the sinus infections!), so again it's hard in off season to get motivated to do a lot of swimming. I really WANT to improve one of these skills though.

Sandi
2014-10-23 3:51 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by sandishr I *had* an off-season training plan, but one trip to the stationary bike at the gym pretty much nixed that for me. BORING. And it didn't feel like it would be overly helpful to me on-season. Am I wrong...is stationary bike work going to help my bike speed next year? I need motivation to continue it since I found it pretty miserable, and if it's not going to be helpful then I'm coming up with something else! I'm still running 3-4x week, but want to come up with something for the other 3. Swimming would be an option, but I have a sinus infection and am staying out of the pool for the time being. The other complicating factor there is that I'm terribly allergic to chlorine which is why I really enjoyed swimming in lakes this summer (probably causing the sinus infections!), so again it's hard in off season to get motivated to do a lot of swimming. I really WANT to improve one of these skills though. Sandi

Buy a cycle trainer. Set up infront of TV/computer. Watch tv or cycle training video(check out sufferfest  videos to buy.) To me cycle trainer way harder than road riding.

2014-10-23 3:51 PM

User image

The Triathletes Training Bible

Weight Training for Cyclists

Base Building for Cyclists

Going Long (Like the training bible but specifically pertaining to Iron distance). 

Training and Racing With Power

Racing Tactics for Cyclists. 

That is my arsenal of training related books. The only one that isn't useful for triathlon is Racing Tactics for Cyclists.

2014-10-23 3:54 PM

User image

Originally posted by sandishr I *had* an off-season training plan, but one trip to the stationary bike at the gym pretty much nixed that for me. BORING. And it didn't feel like it would be overly helpful to me on-season. Am I wrong...is stationary bike work going to help my bike speed next year? I need motivation to continue it since I found it pretty miserable, and if it's not going to be helpful then I'm coming up with something else! I'm still running 3-4x week, but want to come up with something for the other 3. Swimming would be an option, but I have a sinus infection and am staying out of the pool for the time being. The other complicating factor there is that I'm terribly allergic to chlorine which is why I really enjoyed swimming in lakes this summer (probably causing the sinus infections!), so again it's hard in off season to get motivated to do a lot of swimming. I really WANT to improve one of these skills though. Sandi

If you are bored on a stationary, you'll probably be bored on a home trainer. I suggest getting a set of rollers. It requires you to balance and pay attention so it's less boring. If you have the cash get both so you can do a wider range of workouts. 

2014-10-23 6:27 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

All this talk of off-season training plans while my season is still going! Granted the weather out here is so mild I don't really have an "off-season"  

I had a long and busy out of town weekend so I wasn't able to do much training for a few days. Getting back into the groove with a couple of runs and a great open water swim.

2014-10-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

So it looks like I might be doing my first Century bike ride this coming March with a friend of mine. To date my "long" rides are about 25 miles, with 5 months to prepare how realistic is this? My goal will be to finish so I'm not worried about going at "race" pace. When it comes to run training I follow the "increase distance by 10%" methodology however with biking not being load bearing I believe I can up my distance more aggressively. With my HM run training I know I can exercise for over 2 hours so I think I can jump up to a 50 mile ride fairly easily.

Any helpful thoughts? 

Edited by MOlsen 2014-10-24 10:09 AM
2014-10-24 10:43 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Originally posted by MOlsen

So it looks like I might be doing my first Century bike ride this coming March with a friend of mine. To date my "long" rides are about 25 miles, with 5 months to prepare how realistic is this? My goal will be to finish so I'm not worried about going at "race" pace. When it comes to run training I follow the "increase distance by 10%" methodology however with biking not being load bearing I believe I can up my distance more aggressively. With my HM run training I know I can exercise for over 2 hours so I think I can jump up to a 50 mile ride fairly easily.

Any helpful thoughts? 

You can probably ride much longer than you think. You should have no problem getting the distance down as long as you can get two good rides in per week. One shorter ride mid week and a longer ride on the weekend. Keep the mid week ride at most half of what your long ride is, with slightly more intensity and do the long ride slow and easy. If you think about the math, you have 20 weeks until the event. If you're already riding 25 miles, you only need to increase your distance 3.75 miles per week to hit 100 by game time. If you increase by 5 miles per week, which us easily attainable, you'll be able to ride 100 miles with a month left to go. Use the last 4-5 weeks to taper down and increase the intensity some. 

2014-10-24 12:38 PM

User image

, Vermont
Alan, I like how you broke that down. It seems very attainable.

I don't know quite where I stand for workouts - 11/28 I guess; way behind for goal but way ahead of where I was last year (and that's really the key!)
Had a nice little swim today ~ 2500 yds in 55 min. By the end I was really concentrating on feeling the mid and end parts of the stroke - the push to wrist flip out of the water. Bilateral breathing is coming along. The hubby came up with this one for me today. I like it, it's a good challenge and can be so easily modified with 200's or whatever you want to do. I use an old beaded golf stroke counter to keep track of sets on the 100's. LOL Hey, it works!

500 warm-up
~200 free
~100 kick
~200 pull
10 x 100 free (2 min incl 15 sec rest)
500 free
8 x 50 free (1 min incl 15 sec rest)
100 cool-down (free, back, breast, free)

Have a great weekend all! Tomorrow we head over to pull the raft out at camp, put up the kayaks and change out windows to winterize (house was built in 1840 so we have to take out screens and carefully put in the old bulls eye glass windows). I already miss summer!
Next week I'm taking my bike back in to have the fit tweaked a bit. I'm convinced I need a shorter stem. I don't see how, with my current setup, I can put aerobars on and be able to stretch to ride in them. I don't know, we'll see next week!
2014-10-24 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Juancho

I found the 'Training Bible' a bit too technical, what about the other two? Looking for new ways to keep the training in fair shape

My PT, who races cycling, recommends the "Workouts in a Binder for Indoor Cycling" by Dirk Friel as a way to mix things up. He also likes the "The Cyclist's Training Bible" but I decided to get the triathlete's one instead. I have heard it's quite technical.

I look forward to seeing the swim workouts book- though my husband gives me some nice swim workout ideas (he swam competitively for 12 or 14 years). I'll let you know what I think of it once I get it and have a chance to go through it. The pages are all a plastic material I guess so you can bring it poolside. It also comes with plastic work-out cards for poolside as well. From what I've read, these workouts are not for beginners as the distances can be quite long but often people will modify them and cut back on the overall distance (ie a 5,000 yd workout which would take me 2 hours to do probably). We shall see!

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-10-24 12:49 PM
2014-10-24 1:10 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Juancho

My PT, who races cycling, recommends the "Workouts in a Binder for Indoor Cycling" by Dirk Friel as a way to mix things up. He also likes the "The Cyclist's Training Bible" but I decided to get the triathlete's one instead. I have heard it's quite technical. I look forward to seeing the swim workouts book- though my husband gives me some nice swim workout ideas (he swam competitively for 12 or 14 years). I'll let you know what I think of it once I get it and have a chance to go through it. The pages are all a plastic material I guess so you can bring it poolside. It also comes with plastic work-out cards for poolside as well. From what I've read, these workouts are not for beginners as the distances can be quite long but often people will modify them and cut back on the overall distance (ie a 5,000 yd workout which would take me 2 hours to do probably). We shall see!

I have a copy of "Swim Speed Workouts for Swimmers and Triathletes" and I will agree that the workouts are not for beginners. I did the first couple of weeks then dropped off the wagon due to time limitations. Reading the book, however, did give me insight into the "high elbow catch",  gave me a better feel for the water, and helped me up my distance to the 1500m distance in my first Oly.

2014-10-24 1:12 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by MOlsen

Any helpful thoughts? 

You can probably ride much longer than you think. You should have no problem getting the distance down as long as you can get two good rides in per week. One shorter ride mid week and a longer ride on the weekend. Keep the mid week ride at most half of what your long ride is, with slightly more intensity and do the long ride slow and easy. If you think about the math, you have 20 weeks until the event. If you're already riding 25 miles, you only need to increase your distance 3.75 miles per week to hit 100 by game time. If you increase by 5 miles per week, which us easily attainable, you'll be able to ride 100 miles with a month left to go. Use the last 4-5 weeks to taper down and increase the intensity some. 

Alan,

Thank you for the breakdown, it does make it look more attainable.

2014-10-24 1:29 PM

User image

I wrote this piece on winter training a week or so ago which might help with winter training options. It specifically pertains to winter training in Ontario, Canada, but the general principles apply to any place where winter is not cycling friendly. 

http://raceontario.wordpress.com/2014/10/19/winter-training-track-trainer-cyclocross/

2014-10-26 3:31 PM

User image

Finished my half yesterday. Had a good swim the current was strong which made for quick times. The fastest full time was 39 min on the swim for the 2.4! Did well on the bike no more knee pain since I had the bike adjusted and the new peddles put on. When I got off the bike i had lost feeling in my leg and foot which is what my doctor said was a show stopper. But there was no way I was going to give up. I started running feeling great. Caught up to another guy who i met waiting for our wave to start the swim. He was walking so i told him to jog with me, which we did till he wanted to walk again. I went his pace until mile 11, by that time I had regained feeling in my foot and leg, and my back was feeling ok. I think that was Gods way of saving me from myself. At mile 11 I told him I would see him at the finish line and started running again. My run time was the only thing I was not happy with, but I knew that was going to be a challenge. While not happy with the time, I feel like I gave it all I had to give and left nothing to spare. It was amazing. My whole family showed up and my daughter gave me a high five as i ran down the shoot, i even got choked up a little.

Apparently while I was running my wive told my mother "I bet the first words he says when he is done is, I can do the full". She was close I said "next year I am doing the full" My brother also said that he wants to do the half next year. Hope y'all are having fun and enjoying your challenge this month. I am already looking forward to next season.
2014-10-26 5:33 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Finished my half yesterday. Had a good swim the current was strong which made for quick times. The fastest full time was 39 min on the swim for the 2.4! Did well on the bike no more knee pain since I had the bike adjusted and the new peddles put on. When I got off the bike i had lost feeling in my leg and foot which is what my doctor said was a show stopper. But there was no way I was going to give up. I started running feeling great. Caught up to another guy who i met waiting for our wave to start the swim. He was walking so i told him to jog with me, which we did till he wanted to walk again. I went his pace until mile 11, by that time I had regained feeling in my foot and leg, and my back was feeling ok. I think that was Gods way of saving me from myself. At mile 11 I told him I would see him at the finish line and started running again. My run time was the only thing I was not happy with, but I knew that was going to be a challenge. While not happy with the time, I feel like I gave it all I had to give and left nothing to spare. It was amazing. My whole family showed up and my daughter gave me a high five as i ran down the shoot, i even got choked up a little.

Apparently while I was running my wive told my mother "I bet the first words he says when he is done is, I can do the full". She was close I said "next year I am doing the full" My brother also said that he wants to do the half next year. Hope y'all are having fun and enjoying your challenge this month. I am already looking forward to next season.

Well done Scott!! It seems that really enjoyed your race, congratulations!
2014-10-27 7:43 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by b2b14 Finished my half yesterday. Had a good swim the current was strong which made for quick times. The fastest full time was 39 min on the swim for the 2.4! Did well on the bike no more knee pain since I had the bike adjusted and the new peddles put on. When I got off the bike i had lost feeling in my leg and foot which is what my doctor said was a show stopper. But there was no way I was going to give up. I started running feeling great. Caught up to another guy who i met waiting for our wave to start the swim. He was walking so i told him to jog with me, which we did till he wanted to walk again. I went his pace until mile 11, by that time I had regained feeling in my foot and leg, and my back was feeling ok. I think that was Gods way of saving me from myself. At mile 11 I told him I would see him at the finish line and started running again. My run time was the only thing I was not happy with, but I knew that was going to be a challenge. While not happy with the time, I feel like I gave it all I had to give and left nothing to spare. It was amazing. My whole family showed up and my daughter gave me a high five as i ran down the shoot, i even got choked up a little. Apparently while I was running my wive told my mother "I bet the first words he says when he is done is, I can do the full". She was close I said "next year I am doing the full" My brother also said that he wants to do the half next year. Hope y'all are having fun and enjoying your challenge this month. I am already looking forward to next season.

Awesome job!  Can't wait to read your race report.

2014-10-27 11:02 AM

User image

, Vermont

Well done!!!! I look forward to the race report!!! What a sense of satisfaction for you!! Congrats!
2014-10-27 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Great job! Sounds like you had a real good time.
2014-10-28 8:45 PM

User image

Expert

Congrats man! I know you have been working towards that goal for a long time and you found a way to make it happen. Excellent work. If you thought doing a half was exciting - just wait until you cross the finish line of your IM. Best. Feeling Ever!
2014-10-29 9:08 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Vermont
2600 yd swim yesterday. left me pleasantly pooped.
500 warm-up (200 free, 100 kick, 200 pull)
10 x 200 free hard with 30 second rests
100 cool down (free, back, breast, free super slow)

Spoke with the Master's swim coach and may join them once a week. Not sure yet.
Just received my Swim Speed Secrets book in the mail. I'll let you know what i think once I get a chance to check it out.

taking my bike in today for a tweak in fitting.

Cheers!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50418 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19419 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.