BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-10-29 10:34 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Seems like lots of good news coming in. Good to hear everyone is enjoying their races.

Trudging through training right now, pretty aimless.

Joined an amateur cycling team last night - I have a few friends who are members, and now I have all winter to train in fear of getting dropped in the spring, which will probably happen anyway. Here's to being the bottom run of the Colavita Chicago ladder!

2014-11-01 9:38 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
What's our November challenge going to be? After stepping on the scale I would be in also for a weight loss one.
2014-11-01 9:42 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well 2 cool things happening. I went and preordered the new Garmin 920xt. Looks like it will ship around the 8th. My guess is the 10th since the 8th is a Saturday.

Tonight is a nervous night since I am signing up for IMFL tomorrow. If I don't get in I haven't decided if I will do the foundation slot or go for Maryland, Chattanooga, or Louisville. One way or another I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow. Fingers crossed for IMFL. I hope this will pull me outta my funk and get me training full speed again.
2014-11-02 6:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Wow! Good luck with IMFL!!

I really want to hear about how much you love the 920xt. I'm wavering between wanting to wait for the 910xt price to drop after the holidays and just sucking it up and going with the 920. For me I have to admit the sleeker size of the 920 is appealing. I have very small wrists and I tried on the 910, it is bigger than my wrist. I should think it would be an issue when it comes to shedding the wetsuit aside from just possibly not being comfortable with it that big. Did you get to try the 920 on? Is there a significant size difference? I'm so excited for you and have so many questions!!

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-11-02 5:05 PM
2014-11-02 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
IM IN!!!!!!!!!!! All registered and paid up for IMFL. Looks like I better get off my a$$ and get into gear. Thank god I have a year Now if I could only run more than a mile pain free, lol

Going to try to do 2 70.3s. Haines City, FL in Apr and Augusta in Sept. Got a bunch of people from my team doing them as well.
2014-11-02 4:28 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Go for it Alex! My goal 2015 is to do a one or two 70.3, may be someday full IM. So far 2 sprint and 2 Olys, so ready to move up! Will wait to hear how your training goes.
So, November 2, what's the challenge? Weight? Push ups?
Jennifer, the 910 is the best gadget I've ever bought (and I am an easy, compulsive buyer....), so smaller, lighter and cooler should be great. It will all depend on price difference I guess, but I have the feeling that similar to iPhone, iPad and so on, in less than a year many triathletes will move to 920 and 910 will be much cheaper.

2014-11-02 4:28 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Go for it Alex! My goal 2015 is to do a one or two 70.3, may be someday full IM. So far 2 sprint and 2 Olys, so ready to move up! Will wait to hear how your training goes.
So, November 2, what's the challenge? Weight? Push ups?
Jennifer, the 910 is the best gadget I've ever bought (and I am an easy, compulsive buyer....), so smaller, lighter and cooler should be great. It will all depend on price difference I guess, but I have the feeling that similar to iPhone, iPad and so on, in less than a year many triathletes will move to 920 and 910 will be much cheaper.
2014-11-02 5:12 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

, Vermont
Okay, I have a group here doing a 30 day burpee challenge which started yesterday. I'll try to attach it below

Attachments
----------------
burpee challenge.docx (462KB - 9 downloads)
2014-11-03 10:20 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

My last triathlon of the season was a bust. Due to a strong offshore wind and the tide there was a nasty current on the return leg of the swim. I made it to the turn-around in 20 minutes then spent 40 minutes swimming and barely moved 200 yards before the Harbor Patrol pulled me out of the water. I was not alone, the boat had at least 10 other swimmers and rescue kayaks were pulling others as well. My timing chip was not pulled after being dropped off at the swim finish so I decided to finish the race. The full race report will be coming soon once Garmin Connect get's fixed and I can upload my data.

2014-11-03 10:34 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by Burd IM IN!!!!!!!!!!! All registered and paid up for IMFL. Looks like I better get off my a$$ and get into gear. Thank god I have a year Now if I could only run more than a mile pain free, lol Going to try to do 2 70.3s. Haines City, FL in Apr and Augusta in Sept. Got a bunch of people from my team doing them as well.

Congrats on getting signed up!  I think you will like Augusta.  The hills will give you a nice change of pace from the flat lands of Florida.

2014-11-03 10:34 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Sorry to hear about the race. I too am going to sign up for beach to battle full. It opens up today so I might as well sign up now. My brother has committed to the half so looks like it will be a family affair.

A weight loss challenge sounds great, a burpee one sounds miserable but in a good way. hahaha I am in.

I have been feeling lethargic after my race. I have a half marathon in Jan, but its had to motivate to train. I keep thinking "a half, no bike or swim before hand do i really need to train?" BTW 2 years ago I would have NEVER signed up for a half much less felt like i could do it easily. The good part is that I am giving my back time to heal since i am still having significant pain in my glute and leg, meanwhile the wife is running 3 times a week so i plan on her smoking me on the half. Just wanted to check in with everyone. I plan to start speed swim next week, and start working on leg strength for bike speed next week also.

2014-11-03 10:35 AM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by MOlsen

My last triathlon of the season was a bust. Due to a strong offshore wind and the tide there was a nasty current on the return leg of the swim. I made it to the turn-around in 20 minutes then spent 40 minutes swimming and barely moved 200 yards before the Harbor Patrol pulled me out of the water. I was not alone, the boat had at least 10 other swimmers and rescue kayaks were pulling others as well. My timing chip was not pulled after being dropped off at the swim finish so I decided to finish the race. The full race report will be coming soon once Garmin Connect get's fixed and I can upload my data.

That swim sounds brutal.  Congrats on finishing!

2014-11-03 4:03 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Well done Mark! That swim must have been quite rough, but glad to hear you finished the race! Looking forward to read your race report, you are brave BDAAS member!

Edited by Juancho 2014-11-03 4:04 PM
2014-11-03 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

Sorry to hear that the race did not go as planned, but kudos on finding a way to finish. Good thing the race had plenty of support or else things could have gotten dicey.I'm looking forward to the full race report!
2014-11-03 8:36 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Sorry to hear about the race. I too am going to sign up for beach to battle full. It opens up today so I might as well sign up now. My brother has committed to the half so looks like it will be a family affair.

A weight loss challenge sounds great, a burpee one sounds miserable but in a good way. hahaha I am in.

I have been feeling lethargic after my race. I have a half marathon in Jan, but its had to motivate to train. I keep thinking "a half, no bike or swim before hand do i really need to train?" BTW 2 years ago I would have NEVER signed up for a half much less felt like i could do it easily. The good part is that I am giving my back time to heal since i am still having significant pain in my glute and leg, meanwhile the wife is running 3 times a week so i plan on her smoking me on the half. Just wanted to check in with everyone. I plan to start speed swim next week, and start working on leg strength for bike speed next week also.

Sorry to hear about the pain in your glute but I'm glad that your back is on the mend. My wife has never beaten me in a race (not saying much, I think we've been in two together) but my son has been whipping me pretty good since he joined the CC team last year. Brutal! Good luck getting into the swing of things - I know from personal experience that it can be hard especially after accomplishing a big goal. Keep checking it and let us know how the training goes next week.
2014-11-03 8:44 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
I got home from work today and psyched myself up to head out on a bike ride. By the time I changed, it was almost dark. God, do I hate the end of day light savings time as I enjoy working out when I get home from work. But it was nice to get out on the bike. I think I've ridden maybe five times in the last month and I've kind of missed it. I'm still struggling with a pulled calf muscle - I've been hobbling for 10 days. With 7 weeks until my 50k, I need it to heal yesterday!

Sorry about not writing consistently. I've been so busy at work and I just haven't had the same fire since I finished with my IM... Glad to hear people are doing well!

2014-11-04 8:45 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Two folks jumping to full next year - sounds great. B2B Full and IMFL. Good hunting, friends. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about it, and I'll be around for the duration with mediocre advice

After Halloween, I've reached my limit with self-pity and disgust, so it's time to get serious about getting back on the wagon and training. Goal is to stay on track until Thanksgiving. I'm probably going to skip the 5k and HM I had, since I'm not in a position to PR, and try to save some money.

Next season is starting to take shape, somewhat - probably Challenge Knoxville in May and then IM Steelhead 70.3 in August. That still leaves me open to run Challenge Cedar Point full in September if I feel froggy, but that's more an option than a goal.

Primary goal is to get f***ing light as a feather and hopefully get to Cat 4 on the bike, and to get wicked fast on the bike. Oh, and to keep all my bones intact.

Also, for my first piece of mediocre advice for full-distance racing: find some event 5 or 6 weeks after your full race - a 5k, a 10k, a century ride, whatever - and sign up for it. Something to keep you motivated after the post-IM doldrums that have knocked me and DQ off our rockers.
2014-11-04 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Here is the race report with lots of personal reflection on the ill fated swim!

Next event is a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving and a HM at the end of the year. I'm going to try for my first century bike ride in March so I also need to ramp up my time in the saddle!

2014-11-05 6:05 AM

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Two folks jumping to full next year - sounds great. B2B Full and IMFL. Good hunting, friends. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about it, and I'll be around for the duration with mediocre advice

After Halloween, I've reached my limit with self-pity and disgust, so it's time to get serious about getting back on the wagon and training. Goal is to stay on track until Thanksgiving. I'm probably going to skip the 5k and HM I had, since I'm not in a position to PR, and try to save some money.

Next season is starting to take shape, somewhat - probably Challenge Knoxville in May and then IM Steelhead 70.3 in August. That still leaves me open to run Challenge Cedar Point full in September if I feel froggy, but that's more an option than a goal.

Primary goal is to get f***ing light as a feather and hopefully get to Cat 4 on the bike, and to get wicked fast on the bike. Oh, and to keep all my bones intact.

Also, for my first piece of mediocre advice for full-distance racing: find some event 5 or 6 weeks after your full race - a 5k, a 10k, a century ride, whatever - and sign up for it. Something to keep you motivated after the post-IM doldrums that have knocked me and DQ off our rockers.

I'm planning on doing the Disney wine and dine a month after the full. Thx for the advise, I'm sure I will need lots of it.

Anyone use salt tabs? I didn't use them on race day b/c I had never used them, but I lost a lot of salt (my shorts and top were almost white).
2014-11-05 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Anyone use salt tabs? I didn't use them on race day b/c I had never used them, but I lost a lot of salt (my shorts and top were almost white).

Like candy. For anything over 2 hours, one every half hour, starting half an hour prior to the event. The mini M&M tubes are great for storing them. Learning to dry-swallow them was fun and not that hard either. Fixed cramping issues (along with magnesium and potassium supplements).
2014-11-07 10:21 AM

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Like candy. For anything over 2 hours, one every half hour, starting half an hour prior to the event. The mini M&M tubes are great for storing them. Learning to dry-swallow them was fun and not that hard either. Fixed cramping issues (along with magnesium and potassium supplements).

thx. i am signing up for the rock and roll Marathon as part of my prep for the full. I've never run a marathon so I would like to have done that prior to doing it on race day. I am buying salt tabs and will start experimenting with them. I thought the gels would be enough but i was wrong. I think the salt tabs i am buying have magnesium and potassium in them.

any further on the bike jerseys? My wife asked about the design yesterday, so she is still in on converting it for us.

Scott

Edited by b2b14 2014-11-07 10:22 AM

2014-11-07 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I'm summarizing a lot of my own research plus some guesswork/"gut feelings" here. Bottom line is to test it and find what works for you.

Magneisum and potassium are slow up-take, slow release micronutrients. They are also trace in most diets - so unless you eat a ton of spinach and pumpkin seeds, levels might be low. They are also key components to sweat. Over extended training, at least my theory goes, the levels deplete beyond their normal trace amounts. I take these as supplements with a daily multivitamin. Every major longitudinal study has debunked a daily multivitamin, but they don't seem to be toxic, and since we're at the pointy-end of the spectrum, it probably doesn't hurt. I buy cheap ones from Walmart.

I don't have any form of hypertension (rather, it's more like hypo-tension, with a low blood pressure), so there really isn't a top-end for salt. Especially in a distance event, fluid intake is going to more-than-compensate. FIgure: 30mg (half a bar) +125mg (gel) +570mg (drink)+682mg (2 S!caps)= 1,407mg per hour. That's a full USDA allowance per hour.
2014-11-13 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Awful quiet around here. I am done slacking off and trying to get back at it. Nearly 2 months of nothing but a few swims and bikes.

Started my PT again and stretching routine. Must be working since I did 2 miles on the run today relatively pain free. Good to be back at it. I was going stir crazy sitting on my butt.
2014-11-13 1:23 PM

User image

I'm 3/4 of my way through my first block of training for next year. I'm looking forward to rest week next week. I'm starting to feel the effects of accumulated fatigue.  I've been putting in 200+km/week at the velodrome and I've been hitting the gym 3 times/week for strength training. I have big goals for next summer so I'm making a solid effort to stick to plan. 

2014-11-13 4:21 PM

User image

, Vermont
Well done, Alex and Alan. You are inspiring me to get out there more!

October/November has traditionally been a slow time for me (sloth-like food consumer). I hope to change that this year. The clock change/darkness screws me up for a while. I've definitely been focusing more on the bike/spin and swim than run this fall for whatever reason (because I'm finding them both more fun!!). My base goal is to spin/bike M, W and maybe on my home trainer on F or Sat. I swim T/Th, though this week it didn't happen - may go in tomorrow super early in the morning. I've been sporadic with my core work. > I had joined a few different "challenges" some of my friends are doing. They are each only doing one - either burpees, planks, or squats and I decided, what the heck, why not do all three. Then I threw in push-ups with the squats so i could alternate sets of ten. Then the leaves started to fall and all I did for about a week was rake leaves and fell off the wagon for my "challenges." I kind of felt like I was getting something done with the raking, but couldn't log the numbers with my friends so I said screw it and opened a beer after raking. Sometimes it just has to be done. It will all come out in the wash I hope.
I did get another tweak on my bike and got a ride in. So great. I can't wait to put aerobars on this thing.

On a side-note, the skis are tuned, flurries are occasionally falling and I picked up a new pair of ski boots this year. Psyched! That squat challenge should come in handy! Waiting for freshies in the glades!

Smile everyone, it's the first day of the rest of your life! So much to be thankful for. Get your base going!! Next year will be fantastic!

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-11-13 4:27 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50370 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19399 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.