BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-09-20 10:53 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by b2b14

Welcome Steve.

So I am running a race this coming Saturday in Wilmington. I signed up so I could do some training in Wilmington and maybe get in a practice swim for the half. What I realized today is that I will be doing almost the exact same swim as the half (1500 meters of it) in the same water using the same T1 and the bike course has some overlap. That should be a large confidence booster. I will even be staying at the same hotel.

I did the same thing for IMWI. They run the Madison Open Water Swim - it was a two loop swim instead of one loop, but was really great. I went and road two loops of the bike course afterward, in 95 degree heat (my cleats left imprints in the fresh asphalt). Significant confidence boost.

2014-09-21 7:34 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

, Vermont
Wow, a short 2 mile run a week ago, a 2200 yd swim Wednesday and a 20 miler on the bike Thursday - that's it since my August 30th race. I'm trying to get a running race or two on the schedule but every weekend for the next few weeks is taken up with either soccer or football with the kids - which is great (love watching them play) but boy does it wreck me mentally on motivation to get out the door. A friend has sent a bunch of races a group is looking to do this fall and literally every weekend is occupied. I think they have written me off at this point. The half mary is now off the plate in October as that is the first kid-sport-free weekend we have and the hubby frowned a little at having me go to MA for a race. I think this is when mental toughness and discipline is built. I think Monday I'll join the new climbing gym and get my climb on (my all-time favorite sport in the world) and get some endorphins back.
Off to church and maybe a bike ride this afternoon while the boys watch football and make chili.
2014-09-21 2:08 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Ironman was canceled...how do the the athletes cope with that? My coach was suppose to do the Ironman and I haven't heard from her yet but I can't imagine the depth of disappointment these athletes must feel. Prayers for them and the firefighters, families that are in danger and all others affected by the fires.

The winds have been blowing pretty fiercely so If I don't get out early I don't get out but I have been terribly sore lately. It seems like a good sore but it also seems excessive for the level of training I have been doing. Off to prepare my meals for the week...maybe I can report another loss of a pound or two at the end of the week!

2014-09-21 5:45 PM

User image

2014-09-22 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by SportzVision

Ironman was canceled...how do the the athletes cope with that? My coach was suppose to do the Ironman and I haven't heard from her yet but I can't imagine the depth of disappointment these athletes must feel. Prayers for them and the firefighters, families that are in danger and all others affected by the fires.

The winds have been blowing pretty fiercely so If I don't get out early I don't get out but I have been terribly sore lately. It seems like a good sore but it also seems excessive for the level of training I have been doing. Off to prepare my meals for the week...maybe I can report another loss of a pound or two at the end of the week!

One of my good friends (husband of my coach) was going to make a Kona bid there. He volunteered there last year and was still signing up for it. His FB posts are pretty balanced, but I can't imagine how that would make me feel. Or rather, I don't want to know what that would feel like.
2014-09-23 1:31 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

First Oly is in the books! Still working on finishing my race report, catching up on missed work since I took Monday off to travel back from San Diego. My goal time was ~3:00 and I finished with 2:51! Pretty happy with the results

2014-09-23 1:36 PM
in reply to: Qua17

, Maine
Did my first sprint' ish this year. I am a much more seasoned beer drinker. Love most micro's minus IPA's.

I want to go into next season with a bang. Im 5'9" 211lbs so I need to lose 20-30lbs first. Looking to do sprint and then Olympic distance next year. If I feel confident I will then go for 1/2 IM.

I need all the help, support and motivation I can get.

"pick then stick" -Brett Sutton

T. Jay
2014-09-23 1:56 PM

, Maine
Great work!!! I hope to do my first Oly in fall 2015.
2014-09-23 4:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by MOlsen

First Oly is in the books! Still working on finishing my race report, catching up on missed work since I took Monday off to travel back from San Diego. My goal time was ~3:00 and I finished with 2:51! Pretty happy with the results

Congrats

I'm having some knee pain after my last long ride (only left knee) so I laid off my run today but got my swim in. After looking on line for a long time I decided to lower my seat a little bit. Looking forward to my race this weekend. Not shooting for a time just a scouting mission for my HIM.
2014-09-23 4:23 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Great time in your first Oly! Congratulations!

2014-09-23 4:27 PM
in reply to: TRIING IN MY 40'S

User image

New user
Madrid
Welcome! You are at the same spot I was last year, only did 1 sprint. This year already 1 sprint and 1 Oly in July, 2nd one in 2 weeks. Just building confidence so in 2015 will try my first HIM. Train hard and constant, and give yourself "cold, liquid" rewards, this is a great forum to learn!

Originally posted by TRIING IN MY 40'S

Did my first sprint' ish this year. I am a much more seasoned beer drinker. Love most micro's minus IPA's.

I want to go into next season with a bang. Im 5'9" 211lbs so I need to lose 20-30lbs first. Looking to do sprint and then Olympic distance next year. If I feel confident I will then go for 1/2 IM.

T. Jay

2014-09-23 5:51 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Here is the race report from my Oly on Sunday. After the race I BBQ'd at my Dad's and enjoyed a well earned Racer 5 IPA. My 6 year old nephew said it should be called "Racer 3 since you did 3 events".

For me, much like a half-marathon, the Olympic distance was just the right distance. Long enough to be a challenge but not so long that I wasn't enjoying myself. The last mile of the run felt much like the last mile of a HM. Now it's time to find my distance limit on just the bike... there is a Century in the spring I have my sights on!

2014-09-23 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Heya strangers! Sorry I haven't been as active as I should but I have been out on the injured list. I did my oly late Aug then a sprint 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to walk since the last race . Not sure what it is but all I know it's the outside of my knee. Not the same as it has been but I see the doctor in a few weeks if it hasn't improved. It could be something as simple as a bad case of ITBS since I felt it get tight in my tush on the run and it didn't start until just under a mile into the run. Did I do the smart thing and walk the rest....nope I was not thinking clear and kept running. I'll probably just go anyways even if it's better to rule anything out before I resume training.

Rule number one: if it hurts bad stop doing what you're doing that causes it to hurt and fix it. Oh well at least I didn't have any races planned.

Hope all is well with everyone. It sure sounds like it is.
2014-09-23 9:52 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Just got an email from Rudy Project. They upped my sponsored discount to 50% off retail. Takes the wingspan to $167.50 and the new wing 57 to $250. It also applies to the sunglasses and anything else on the site.

I can't post the code publicly but can extend the offer to friends and teammates. If you're in the market or know anyone that is shoot me a pm and I'd be happy to share it with you. It's the least I can do from all of the help and advise I have gotten from this group.
2014-09-24 11:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Here is the race report from my Oly on Sunday. After the race I BBQ'd at my Dad's and enjoyed a well earned Racer 5 IPA. My 6 year old nephew said it should be called "Racer 3 since you did 3 events".

For me, much like a half-marathon, the Olympic distance was just the right distance. Long enough to be a challenge but not so long that I wasn't enjoying myself. The last mile of the run felt much like the last mile of a HM. Now it's time to find my distance limit on just the bike... there is a Century in the spring I have my sights on!

Nice race. Glad you had fun, even if you did finish it with an IPA

Getting pacing right is hard. I spent my entire summer getting that stuff pounded into my skull. It's so easy to over-cook the bike and suffer on the run. Sounds like you did well, though the bike may have spent a little too much time in the kitchen

How was TriRock overall? They do a race here in Lake Geneva that I have thought about, but it hasn't really worked with my schedule in the last two years.

Edited by mirthfuldragon 2014-09-24 11:14 AM
2014-09-24 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

T. Jay

Welcome!

Sprints are such a blast. A beer man after my own heart - I can appreciate IPAs, but I won't reach for them first or second pass.

2014-09-24 1:12 PM

, Maine
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

T. Jay

Welcome!

Sprints are such a blast. A beer man after my own heart - I can appreciate IPAs, but I won't reach for them first or second pass.

Hey thanks.. After my run yesterday I tried the Jack-o-Traveler Pumpkin Shandy. To me its more beer than shandy but really good stuff. Made by the same brew master of Magic Hat out of Burlington Vermont.

On the training side, I am doing the beginner oly program Bike and Run plans are a little too easy for me so I am going a little longer on those. The swim distances are a different story.. swam my first 1600 meters today and I am feeling it!!! loving week 1...
2014-09-24 1:42 PM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Got my last openwater wetsuit swim in before the race on Sunday!  It's getting close!

2014-09-24 1:44 PM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by TRIING IN MY 40'S Did my first sprint' ish this year. I am a much more seasoned beer drinker. Love most micro's minus IPA's. I want to go into next season with a bang. Im 5'9" 211lbs so I need to lose 20-30lbs first. Looking to do sprint and then Olympic distance next year. If I feel confident I will then go for 1/2 IM. I need all the help, support and motivation I can get. "pick then stick" -Brett Sutton T. Jay

Don't let your weight hold you back.  I did my first sprint at close to 250 lb and I'm only 1 inch taller than you.  The pictures are pretty cringe worthy but it went well.  Might as well have some fun racing while you are loosing weight.

2014-09-24 4:48 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Nice race. Glad you had fun, even if you did finish it with an IPA Getting pacing right is hard. I spent my entire summer getting that stuff pounded into my skull. It's so easy to over-cook the bike and suffer on the run. Sounds like you did well, though the bike may have spent a little too much time in the kitchen How was TriRock overall? They do a race here in Lake Geneva that I have thought about, but it hasn't really worked with my schedule in the last two years.

They ran a pretty good event, I don't have many complaints in how they organized it. The race started on time, the transition area had numbered racks and was set up well. They could have used more volunteers out on the swim course, I only saw a handful of surfers on boards and only one boat. I didn't stick around much after I finished the race so I can't say much about the post race activities. There was a "beer" garden (with complimentary Miller) and a cover band playing so was something more than the smaller local races. Granted after the festival atmosphere of Wildflower it's hard to compare post race activities.

2014-09-25 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

T. Jay

Welcome!

Hey thanks.. After my run yesterday I tried the Jack-o-Traveler Pumpkin Shandy. To me its more beer than shandy but really good stuff. Made by the same brew master of Magic Hat out of Burlington Vermont.

On the training side, I am doing the beginner oly program Bike and Run plans are a little too easy for me so I am going a little longer on those. The swim distances are a different story.. swam my first 1600 meters today and I am feeling it!!! loving week 1...

Shandys!?! Abomination! I'm joking, of course, but I can't stand shandys. It's like you take half the beer away!

Swimming is so much about technique and not volume. If you can, find a master's program, or find some private lessons, especially if you don't have a swim background. Small things like hand and elbow position can make huge differences. When I was still in masters, guys 20 or 30 years older than me, and 30 or 50 pounds heavier, who I would just *destroy* on the bike or run, would eat my lunch in the pool. I swam a 1:32 at IMWI, which averages out to a 2:11/100yd, and those guys would probably swim it in well under an hour.

I tend to think of swimming as more akin to golf or tennis than running or cycling - swim better, not harder. Tiger Woods (or whoever - I don't pay attention to golf) doesn't hit the ball *harder*, he hits the ball *better*.

2014-09-25 9:41 AM
in reply to: podemma

, Maine
Originally posted by podemma

Originally posted by TRIING IN MY 40'S Did my first sprint' ish this year. I am a much more seasoned beer drinker. Love most micro's minus IPA's. I want to go into next season with a bang. Im 5'9" 211lbs so I need to lose 20-30lbs first. Looking to do sprint and then Olympic distance next year. If I feel confident I will then go for 1/2 IM. I need all the help, support and motivation I can get. "pick then stick" -Brett Sutton T. Jay

Don't let your weight hold you back.  I did my first sprint at close to 250 lb and I'm only 1 inch taller than you.  The pictures are pretty cringe worthy but it went well.  Might as well have some fun racing while you are loosing weight.

I agree racing is a lot of fun and I have my fair share of "cringe worthy photo's"..
2014-09-26 12:16 PM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

I'm packing up to head off to Augusta 70.3!  Hopefully all that training pays off, I can't wait to get started!

Bib #2558

2014-09-26 2:51 PM

User image

, Vermont

I'm packing up to head off to Augusta 70.3!  Hopefully all that training pays off, I can't wait to get started!

Bib #2558

Good luck, Matt!! Have fun!
2014-09-26 7:09 PM

User image

Expert

Bib #2558

Hey Matt - If Auburn can beat 'Bama - anything is possible You are gonna have a blast. I wish you well and I'm looking forward to reading your race report. Don't forget to include those post race beverages - that's my favorite part!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50197 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19324 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.