BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-07-06 3:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Swim Endurance
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by golfgirl88

. . . I try to focus on technique but I think it breaks down quickly . . .

Sandra

Sandra,

This is what you need to work on first.  Your technique breaks down quickly for a couple reasons, number one, your technique is probably not quite perfect yet, that will cause rapid fatigue.  Secondarily, your swim fitness is probably not where it needs to be.  The next couple weeks is focused entirely on stroke technique.  If need be, you can read the articles on my site and visit swimsmooth.com before you go to workout.  Then proper technique will be in your mind.

Good luck!

Scott you are on a roll, some great very detailed posts. Thank you so much.

Sorry I didn't get back to you last week. It was exactly what you thought, the only reason I was only doing the 750s was to see if I could do them for my upcoming tri. I know it was probably stupid but I just wanted to know I could do it psychologically, where I hadn;t been in the open water yet.

I couldn't have been happier with my swim in that event. I know it was only 450 but it was the first time I never went to my backstroke. I was out of the water in 8:26 and that was letting people go for a few seconds at the start. The swim was set up like an oblong semi-circle just offshore. There were six markers and I know I should start using some of your siting technics but I just did a 3 stroke breast stroke for siting. It worked incredibly well, I must have been swimming as straight as an arrow because every time I took the second look to see I was right on top of the marker. Very cool!

Once again, thank you so much Scott.

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-07-06 3:26 PM

2014-07-06 5:24 PM
in reply to: mknoonan06

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
Hi,
I don't know, I swam alone!! I know there is a group that swims at Glen Lake, and also a morning group at Lake George, because I live up here. Sorry - wish I knew more!
nancy
2014-07-06 6:07 PM
in reply to: nancylee

User image

Expert
Missouri

I wish all my swims would go as well as this morning's went.  I can't say it was easy but I never felt like I was struggling.   I did a ladder workout that I like to do and usually by the time I get to the 75's (so only about 400 yds into the workout), my form starts to fall apart and I feel like I'm fighting the water.  Today it felt almost easy.  I think part of it was because I tried really hard to pay attention to my stroke.  Normally I can tell that I'm shortening my stroke by starting my recovery around my waist and not taking my hands all the way to my hips.  Today my focus was on lengthening my stroke all the way.  I felt like I was just gliding through the water, almost like I was swimming with a current.  Hopefully I can keep that same thing in mind during my race next weekend.
Janet

2014-07-06 9:25 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Swim Repeats--Scott?

Originally posted by lutzman

Quick question: if I was doing 25 X 100 yard repeats at race pace, how would I calculate my rest interval? Would it change over time or would I keep the RI the same and gradually increase the race pace as my fitness improved?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

As usual, here is a long answer to a short question.

There are two parts to the question you asked.

The first is how are you defining race pace?  When I talk about race pace I prefer to do it in terms of STP.  By doing that, we equalize between swimmers.  For example, my Sprint triathlon race pace is probably different from yours in terms of time, however in terms of STP they are likely identical.  For a sprint triathlon the race pace may be STP minus 2-3 seconds/100 (confirmed during training).  For any distance over a sprint the race pace should be equal to STP.  Remember what STP represents, it is the pace that you can theoretically hold for an extended period of time.  If the test is done properly, it will be a fairly accurate measure of your threshold pace.  I like to re-test STP every 4-6 weeks.  Seeing as how the test generally takes less than half an hour, that should not pose to much of a problem.  By re-testing periodically, you will always have an accurate STP and thus, an accurate way to determine race pace (I should mention that I am referring specifically to triathlons).

The next part of your questions is about rest periods.

Both USRPT and [Extensive, Intermediate, and Intensive] Endurance training use fixed rest periods.  USRPT uses 20 seconds regardless of the length of the repetition or the target race event.  I use 60 seconds during Extensive Endurance, 15-20 seconds during Intermediate Endurance, and 20 seconds during Intensive Endurance.

For a triathlete, whether you are using the USRPT method or the Intermediate Endurance philosophy, the rest is the same and is set at 20 seconds.  As you re-test STP your pace may change but rest will stay the same.  By increasing pace and leaving rest constant as your fitness and speed increase, you keep the training stress at a consistent level.

Hope that answers the question.

Edited by k9car363 2014-07-06 9:30 PM
2014-07-06 9:42 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY

Scott you are on a roll, some great very detailed posts. Thank you so much . . .

Sorry I didn't get back to you last week. It was exactly what you thought, the only reason I was only doing the 750s was to see if I could do them for my upcoming tri. I know it was probably stupid but I just wanted to know I could do it psychologically, where I hadn't been in the open water yet. 

James, you are welcome.  Glad that some of my suggestions have helped.

We have had several discussions in this group over the past year about the importance of the mental side of athletics.  I absolutely believe that mental is 90% and physical is 10% of athletic success.  With that in mind, there was nothing stupid about you doing a 750 so you would have the confidence on race day.  The ONLY time I encourage people to do long swims is for a time trial, or for exactly the reason you did it.

Now if we can just get you working on proper sighting!  

2014-07-06 10:47 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Swim Repeats--Scott?

Quick question: if I was doing 25 X 100 yard repeats at race pace, how would I calculate my rest interval? Would it change over time or would I keep the RI the same and gradually increase the race pace as my fitness improved?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

As usual, here is a long answer to a short question. >

I use 60 seconds during Extensive Endurance, 15-20 seconds during Intermediate Endurance, and 20 seconds during Intensive Endurance.

For a triathlete, whether you are using the USRPT method or the Intermediate Endurance philosophy, the rest is the same and is set at 20 seconds.  As you re-test STP your pace may change but rest will stay the same.  By increasing pace and leaving rest constant as your fitness and speed increase, you keep the training stress at a consistent level.

Hope that answers the question.

Yikes.....I think I'm going to need more than 20 seconds!

2014-07-07 5:16 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Using Threshold Swim Pace to Plan Workouts and Set Race Pace

Originally posted by juneapple Scott - best swim training post I've ever read on BT. You should consider putting it out on the main boards. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it up! Stu

Thank you Stu.  Coming from you, that means a lot.

I took your advice and posted it on the main forum.  As I suspected, it got a couple hits a faded from view pretty quickly.  This is a generalization I admit, but increasingly it seems that people in the TT forum are interested in a) a REALLY quick fix, b) arguing some minor point, c) have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what they are talking about, or d) want to talk about "fluff."  That isn't to say there aren't some good people over there.  I just generally avoid TT.  Too many times I have been told I don't know what I am talking about by someone who swims a 2:45 hundred or a 15:00 five-hundred while at 55 I can still do a sub :55 hundred and a sub 5:00 five-hundred.  I think the people that are truly serious about improving are most likely in the mentor groups.

Just my humble opinion.

Hi Scott,
Can't say I'm totally surprised. I think TT used to be better... maybe it would be better received on the Ironman training board. Regardless... at least it is out there for someone who searches for it. I may look it up on the main board and link it to a couple of friends on here. Hate to see it just disappear :-)

Stu
2014-07-07 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nancylee

Hi,
I don't know, I swam alone!! I know there is a group that swims at Glen Lake, and also a morning group at Lake George, because I live up here. Sorry - wish I knew more!
nancy

Hi Nancy,
Welcome to the group! Lake George is such a gorgeous place. Or at least in my mind it is... visited my great aunt up there once when I was in my early 20s and remember it as a very special place! Or it may have been how my Dad used to wax poetic about it when I was growing up!
Stu
2014-07-07 5:40 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Expert
Hope everyone had a great 4th. We had incredible weather in Virginia. Morning temps in the 50s and daytime highs in the 70s. That "never" happens in July... and certainly not on a long weekend. Did my best to take advantage of it... ran a 5K with my father-in-law on Friday - thought I did a 24.59, but officially it was 25.01. It's been awhile since I've broken 25, so was happy with that time regardless of whether it was under or over 25. Had a nice bike ride on Saturday and ran 10 miles yesterday - first time I've run 10 in a few months. But, I am feeling the extra weight I put on in Europe. It is a good thing I don't live there - hahaha. 5 lbs in two weeks. Can't say I regret it, though :-)

Have a great week, everyone! Congrats to all you racers!

Stu
2014-07-07 11:20 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

I can't thank you all enough for the advice. Although my stroke is definitely a work in progress I feel like I am making progress day by day. I will definitely keep everyone updated over the course of my training. Your help has been invaluable and appreciated more than you know.

Have a great week everyone!

Sandra
2014-07-07 3:20 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Newport News
Yes I used it as a training weekend which included a 40 mile bike ride in Williamsburg. A good break after three successful races in June, Second in the Jamestown Aqua-bike, first in age group Jack King 1mile OWS Virginia Beach, and first but only one in the Smile Train Sprint in Wake Forest, NC.

Back to the races this week. Stu I be doing the Chris Green 1mile this year will you be there? The the following week the Tidewater Sprint in Hampton.

2014-07-07 4:57 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just got a training program from a friend I know. I did pay. This weekend, he has me doing a 60 mile bike ride!! Whoa!! I told her that I haven't been biking, my longest has been 10 miles. He said, "OK, then four hours."

I do what I'm told when I pay for advice. But how do I survive that, when a 12 miler killed my neck, my hands and my butt???

Thanks,
Nancy
2014-07-07 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Maryland

Just got a training program from a friend I know. I did pay. This weekend, he has me doing a 60 mile bike ride!! Whoa!! I told her that I haven't been biking, my longest has been 10 miles. He said, "OK, then four hours."

I do what I'm told when I pay for advice. But how do I survive that, when a 12 miler killed my neck, my hands and my butt???

Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy, I am surprised he told you to ride 60 now or 4 hours. I would listen to my body, and just go as long as you are comfortable. Even 2 hours is a great start!
2014-07-07 6:14 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Thanks, Nancy

Hi Nancy,

There is a saying I learned many years ago, "Before you can train, you first must train to train."  What that means is that you have to train and establish a fitness base before you start a build.  If you were training for a marathon, you wouldn't start with 50 miles per week.  Likewise, you shouldn't start with a 60-mile bike ride when the longest you have done is 10 or 12 miles.  That is asking for an injury, burn-out, or worse.  In short, it would be a recipe for disaster.  I am guessing when you did your 10-mile ride, it took 45 minutes to an hour.  Now your friend wants you to just go out and ride for 4 hours?  That is 4-5 times as long.  Lest we forget, you had physical issues after your 10-miler.  My suggestion is to ride three times a week for the next couple of weeks.  This week I would keep the mileage about the same as what you did the other day.  Then next week add a couple miles per ride.  3 x 10 miles this week = +/- 30 miles.  Next week, maybe 3 x 12 = 36 miles, then the following week 3 x 15 = 45 miles.  Normally you would take more than three weeks for a base build but that will at least get you to where you have a basic level of fitness.  After that, you can safely ramp up a bit more quickly.  As a comparison, someone that is doing 60 mile rides is likely putting in upwards of 125-150 or more miles per week.

I'm curious, what is your friend basing you being able to ride 60-miles or 4-hours on?

Just my humble two cents.

2014-07-07 6:28 PM

User image

Regular

Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy--I'm wondering if I've misunderstood your triathlon goals. Aren't you training for a sprint distance event? If so and your friend has you doing a 60 mile ride this week when you're longest ride is 10 miles, you need to either get a new training plan, get a new friend, or both. Ditto four hours if you're longest ride now is about 30 minutes. The longest ride I put in to train for a half-iron distance was....about 60+ miles and about four hours.

The general rule of thumb for running is the long workout of the week should never be greater in distance than double the average length of your other training runs. Cycling is more forgiving, so you might be able to go a little longer (1 hour+), but at this stage of your training there's really no reason for it, especially if you're working up to completing a sprint distance race.

There are quite a few solid training plans on Beginner Triathlete. Some require a fee, but others are free. I'd check those out,

Let me know what I'm missing.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-07-07 8:20 PM
2014-07-07 7:07 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

If so and your friend has you doing a 60 mile ride this week when you're longest ride is 10 miles, you need to either get a new training plan, get a new friend, or both. Ditto four hours if you're longest ride now is about 30 minutes.

Steve

I eluded to this.  Steve was just more eloquent.  I absolutely agree, new plan, new friend, or both.

2014-07-07 8:05 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: How are you doing?

Hey Steve -

How are you feeling?  Starting to make some progress?

Any word on your bike yet?

When Cavendish went into the ground on Saturday, I thought, "That must have been what it looked like when Steve went down."

Hope your mending well.

Edited by k9car363 2014-07-07 8:10 PM
2014-07-07 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Nancy,

I am by no means an expert, but as pretty new cyclist myself, I just started riding again after several months of not riding at all, my first ride was 10 miles and after that I was pretty sore from the saddle, I can't imagine jumping in and doing 4 hours of riding that soon, I wouldn't be able to sit down for a week let alone ride again anytime soon.

Welcome to the group, there are some very experienced people that will set you on the right track!

Dan
2014-07-07 8:27 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: How are you doing?

Hey Steve -

When Cavendish went into the ground on Saturday, I thought, "That must have been what it looked like when Steve went down."

Hope your mending well.

Hi Scott:

Thanks for asking. I haven't been able to do anything yet. The combo of busted shoulder and collar bone is nasty. Bend one way and my shoulder screams, bend the other the clavicle screams. I can't walk for long because the weight of my body pulls down on the shoulder which then gets very painful. Add in the broken ribs (can't lie flat on my back or either side) and it's pretty debilitating. I've spent more time in my hot tub in the last three weeks than I have in the last three years.

I am getting better, but it's very slow. I'm hoping that by this weekend I'll be able to start walking on the treadmill or possibly get up on my bike trainer.

I haven't looked at my bike yet. I just got it over the weekend. But with only one good arm, I'm waiting on my son to give me a hand pulling out of the box. It should be a real adventure based on the skills(or lack thereof) of the packing crew!

Steve
2014-07-07 9:23 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Expert
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Back to the races this week. Stu I be doing the Chris Green 1mile this year will you be there? The the following week the Tidewater Sprint in Hampton.

Hi Tsvi,

I was wondering if you'd be coming up again this year. Glad to hear you'll make it up. I've got a family conflict that day (race day conflicts are a theme this year, just taking it in stride), so I'll be missing it. Really wanted another shot at it to see if I could do the 2 miler without cramping up like I did last year. Alas, I will have to wait until I age group up next year :-) Plus, I'm in no shape for an endurance swim right now.

Good luck to you though- sounds like you've been having a good season thus far! Let me know about the Tidewater Sprint..... that's part of the VTS series, right? They usually put on a good race.

Stu
2014-07-08 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Nancy

Hi Nancy,

There is a saying I learned many years ago, "Before you can train, you first must train to train."  What that means is that you have to train and establish a fitness base before you start a build.  If you were training for a marathon, you wouldn't start with 50 miles per week.  Likewise, you shouldn't start with a 60-mile bike ride when the longest you have done is 10 or 12 miles.  That is asking for an injury, burn-out, or worse.  In short, it would be a recipe for disaster.  I am guessing when you did your 10-mile ride, it took 45 minutes to an hour.  Now your friend wants you to just go out and ride for 4 hours?  That is 4-5 times as long.  Lest we forget, you had physical issues after your 10-miler.  My suggestion is to ride three times a week for the next couple of weeks.  This week I would keep the mileage about the same as what you did the other day.  Then next week add a couple miles per ride.  3 x 10 miles this week = +/- 30 miles.  Next week, maybe 3 x 12 = 36 miles, then the following week 3 x 15 = 45 miles.  Normally you would take more than three weeks for a base build but that will at least get you to where you have a basic level of fitness.  After that, you can safely ramp up a bit more quickly.  As a comparison, someone that is doing 60 mile rides is likely putting in upwards of 125-150 or more miles per week.

I'm curious, what is your friend basing you being able to ride 60-miles or 4-hours on?

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea. He is a fitness trainer. I was confused, I'll tell you. I will do the same as I did the other day today, and be happy about it.

2014-07-08 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy--I'm wondering if I've misunderstood your triathlon goals. Aren't you training for a sprint distance event? If so and your friend has you doing a 60 mile ride this week when you're longest ride is 10 miles, you need to either get a new training plan, get a new friend, or both. Ditto four hours if you're longest ride now is about 30 minutes. The longest ride I put in to train for a half-iron distance was....about 60+ miles and about four hours.

The general rule of thumb for running is the long workout of the week should never be greater in distance than double the average length of your other training runs. Cycling is more forgiving, so you might be able to go a little longer (1 hour+), but at this stage of your training there's really no reason for it, especially if you're working up to completing a sprint distance race.

There are quite a few solid training plans on Beginner Triathlete. Some require a fee, but others are free. I'd check those out,

Let me know what I'm missing.

Steve

Hi,
I want to do the Lake George Olympic at the end of August with no base, so I asked if it were possible. It is a tough 25 mile bike ride. I think maybe he did misunderstand. I am going to ask. Thanks!!
Nancy
2014-07-08 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Hi Gray's, just checking in...I know I've been MIA but I've been out of town so much and going out of town again next week for the week. I'm still training, maily running because that is easy to do at motels but this motel I'm going to supposedly has a gym with a nice pool.

I just got a pair of Hoka shoes and so far love them.

Steve, I'm still laughing at the bike packing, glad you are getting better.
2014-07-08 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea. He is a fitness trainer. I was confused, I'll tell you. I will do the same as I did the other day today, and be happy about it.

Thanks for the suggestion - yes, my trainer friend and I did have our wires crossed. I told him I was hoping to do an Olympic distance, not a half IronMan, and he sent me a revised plan. Only 30 miles, very easy, for this week. I assume very easy means I can stop in the middle for ice cream??
Nancy

Edited by nancylee 2014-07-08 11:33 AM
2014-07-09 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Subject: RE: How are you doing?

Hey Steve -

Hope your mending well.

Hi Scott:

Thanks for asking. I haven't been able to do anything yet. The combo of busted shoulder and collar bone is nasty. Bend one way and my shoulder screams, bend the other the clavicle screams. I can't walk for long because the weight of my body pulls down on the shoulder which then gets very painful. Add in the broken ribs (can't lie flat on my back or either side) and it's pretty debilitating. I've spent more time in my hot tub in the last three weeks than I have in the last three years.

I am getting better, but it's very slow. I'm hoping that by this weekend I'll be able to start walking on the treadmill or possibly get up on my bike trainer.

I haven't looked at my bike yet. I just got it over the weekend. But with only one good arm, I'm waiting on my son to give me a hand pulling out of the box. It should be a real adventure based on the skills(or lack thereof) of the packing crew!

Steve

Steve, bless you for your patience and dedication. I hope you are not still in too much pain. I find it amazing that you continue to mentor everyone here with your wisdom and experience while undergoing recovery from such serious injuries. I hope each week gets better and better!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 47271 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50353 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19394 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31