BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-07-27 2:49 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: back in the saddle

Originally posted by dcon

Scott: Leeward?  I'm not sure.  I think both ocean facing sides of the main island get their share of wind and waves, but I think that side is in general a little calmer.   The race was only about 40 minutes drive north from my June race where the swim was cancelled because of high waves.  Anyway, last Sunday was as nice as I have seen it.

I probably used the term improperly.  I meant the side facing the mainland which would generally have less wind/waves.  It looked like incredible conditions.

2014-07-27 2:56 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by ok2try
Originally posted by DJP_19 Steve, so glad to read that you're back on the bike! And I second the notion that you have a plush mancave. Mine is much more, ahem, "rustic" Dave
Never mind the man cave. The BIKE is beautiful! But I will match it with my waterfall. Took these pix on a training run yesterday at the site of the Cayuga Lake Tri, which is in one week. We run along the gorge and the turnaround is at the waterfall, where the people are standing bottom right in the photo. Another outstanding thing about this race, besides the scenery, is that it is all club organized and volunteer run (professional timing, of course.) I'll be spending Saturday helping to set up the course. It's a huge undertaking. Deb

I love the race at Cayuga Lake.  Did the sprint many years ago and the Olympic about 5 years ago.  That waterfall at the run turn-around it the highlight of the course for me.  It rained the year I did the Olympic so I really didn't get to enjoy all those beautiful Victorian homes along Sheldrake coming up out of the upper end on the bike course.  I want to get back up to race that course again.  Anyone within a reasonable range to drive there could have a great race (albeit a hard one) there.

That hill coming up out of T1 is a beast...7% grade or something.  Makes me feel super bad a$$ to take it on--but I never had the guts to stay aero going back down.

2014-07-27 3:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Does anybody have any recommendations for cycling shoes? Is there anything special to consider? Really don't think I want to spend $300 for a pair of shoes, but want something good also.after the episode last week shoes probably dont need replacing, but might want to get some new ones just the same, mine have never been completely comfortable. I just don't really know how to go about selecting a new pair?

Dan

Hey Dan,

Don't know specifically what you might be looking for but JensonUSA.com is having an incredible sale right now on cycling shoes (as well as quite a bit of other stuff.  Here are a couple links, the first is all there cycling shoes.  The second is a pair that I have.  REALLY hard to beat 66% off on a pair of high end shoes.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Sale/Mens-Footwear

http://www.jensonusa.com/Sale/Mens-Footwear/Giro-Prolight-SLX-Shoes-2012

Edited by k9car363 2014-07-27 3:07 PM
2014-07-27 9:07 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

After 7 weeks I was able to get back on my bike today. It was just on my trainer in the man cave but that's better than nothing. I'm still pretty sore on my entire left torso, so I had to be pretty conservative. Nonetheless I got in 45 minutes and it felt great to be back in the saddle. I'm sure I'll have a sore collar bone tonight!

Steve

WOW! The bike it looks great. I know you said you got a great deal on it so I knew it would be hard to replace. I thought the were going to be sending it to you in pieces.

This is great news to hear that our fearless leader is back in the saddle. Congrats Steve and be careful, take it slow!

James
2014-07-28 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by lutzman

After 7 weeks I was able to get back on my bike today. It was just on my trainer in the man cave but that's better than nothing. I'm still pretty sore on my entire left torso, so I had to be pretty conservative. Nonetheless I got in 45 minutes and it felt great to be back in the saddle. I'm sure I'll have a sore collar bone tonight!

Steve

Steve, this is great news! The beginning!! Sky is the limit for next year!
2014-07-28 3:55 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Does anybody have any recommendations for cycling shoes? Is there anything special to consider?

Dan--If you're going for a triathlon shoe I would definitely make sure there is a loop strap on the heel. It makes it a lot easier to pull your shoe on with wet feet or if you've pre-clipped your shoes onto the bike ready for the transition from swim to bike. The loop makes it much easier to pull the shoe on. I've got Peal Isumi

I've got the tri fly which I love. $180 bucks is steep, but we're getting toward the time when all this stuff goes on sale. If you're not in a big hurry, I'd hang tough for a month or so and let the retail inventory panic hit.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pearl-izumi-tri-fly-iv-carbon-sho...

$144...sales are hitting already!

Edited by lutzman 2014-07-28 4:03 PM

2014-07-29 11:44 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Kinetic Revoltion
There's been a bit of discussion of the K-R 30 day challenge--I think it was Japan-Dan who first brought it up? I've decided to take it on right after my race this Sunday. Here's the site again:
http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/

Anyone else doing it? I like the way it emphasizes not just muscle strength but muscle activation and joint flexibility. I expect it's more scientific than the hodgepodge of stretches I've been doing.

Since this is my last A race (although I still have one C race to go), I'm also starting to prepare for my fall cross-country series. I'll be starting the BT "winter maintenance with run focus" plan. (Today felt like winter, 55 degrees on my bike ride. Hope it's warmer on Sunday!)
I'll be building up to a lot more running volume than I've been used to, and I'm hoping that, unlike last fall, I can avoid injury.
I like cross-country because (A) it's on grass, less pounding, and (B) I'm on a team with other women my age, we travel all around upstate NY, and it's very sociable--unlike most of my training.

Anybody else racing this weekend? Or taking outstanding getaways?

Deb
2014-07-29 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Kinetic Revoltion

Originally posted by ok2try There's been a bit of discussion of the K-R 30 day challenge--I think it was Japan-Dan who first brought it up? I've decided to take it on right after my race this Sunday. Here's the site again: http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/Anyone else doing it? I like the way it emphasizes not just muscle strength but muscle activation and joint flexibility. I expect it's more scientific than the hodgepodge of stretches I've been doing. Since this is my last A race (although I still have one C race to go), I'm also starting to prepare for my fall cross-country series. I'll be starting the BT "winter maintenance with run focus" plan. (Today felt like winter, 55 degrees on my bike ride. Hope it's warmer on Sunday!) I'll be building up to a lot more running volume than I've been used to, and I'm hoping that, unlike last fall, I can avoid injury. I like cross-country because (A) it's on grass, less pounding, and (B) I'm on a team with other women my age, we travel all around upstate NY, and it's very sociable--unlike most of my training. Anybody else racing this weekend? Or taking outstanding getaways? Deb

Deb:  I may join you for the 30 day challenge, but will probably cut back a little on the reps.   I have a combination "outstanding getaway" and race this weekend.  I am leaving on Thursday morning and will go the the island where my Sept race is held.  My plan is to do the bike course (190 km) on Fri and perhaps a little more cycling on Sat.  On Sunday they have a 2km open water swim race on the same course that they will use for my Sept race.   If my legs feel okay, I will do a long run after the swim.   So, I figure I will be outstandingly tired by the end of the day Sunday.   

2014-07-29 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Deb,

I am in, I hoping to start tonight, just trying to gin up some motivation after a long start to the week!
2014-07-29 5:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Thanks Scott and Steve, I will check out both those link s and also kind of play it by ear. I did find out that I can heat mold my inserts for my shoes so I will see how that goes also, Might not need new ones after all, but hey we can always use more gear right

Scott happy that you are able to start training again and that the bike made it through the ordeal!
2014-07-29 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Day 1 done, that was harder than I thought it would be!

2014-07-30 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by ok2try

There's been a bit of discussion of the K-R 30 day challenge--I think it was Japan-Dan who first brought it up? I've decided to take it on right after my race this Sunday. Here's the site again:
http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/

Anyone else doing it? I like the way it emphasizes not just muscle strength but muscle activation and joint flexibility. I expect it's more scientific than the hodgepodge of stretches I've been doing.

Since this is my last A race (although I still have one C race to go), I'm also starting to prepare for my fall cross-country series. I'll be starting the BT "winter maintenance with run focus" plan. (Today felt like winter, 55 degrees on my bike ride. Hope it's warmer on Sunday!)
I'll be building up to a lot more running volume than I've been used to, and I'm hoping that, unlike last fall, I can avoid injury.
I like cross-country because (A) it's on grass, less pounding, and (B) I'm on a team with other women my age, we travel all around upstate NY, and it's very sociable--unlike most of my training.

Anybody else racing this weekend? Or taking outstanding getaways?

Deb

Deb--this looks really cool. Thanks for posting it up. I'm hoping to get out for my first run in 8 weeks on Saturday, so I'm not ready for much of a "program". That said, I have perpetually tight hips...and I like the stretching that they show right off the bat. Once I'm up and going, count me in!

Steve
2014-07-31 5:54 AM

User image

Spencer, New York

I'm hoping to get out for my first run in 8 weeks on Saturday,
Steve

That is great news Steve. You are recovering pretty fast considering how awful your crash was. Keep us posted. We're all rooting for you!
Deb
2014-07-31 7:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-31 8:14 AM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by Dogpaddle

Kinetic Revolution observation - I started day 1 of the challenge yesterday. I'm only doing 1 set instead of 3 for now. When I do the hamstring stretch my knees sound like someone walking over bubble wrap. When I do the frog stretch, both of my kneecaps move and pop. I'm going to try again today but I think these exercises are repeated all week. At this point I don't want to do more harm than good. I'm just a hair away from being relegated to the silver sneaker program.

Silver Sneaker?
Deb
2014-07-31 8:30 AM

Edited by Dogpaddle 2014-07-31 8:31 AM

2014-07-31 8:32 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by Mountaindan Day 1 done, that was harder than I thought it would be!

I have to agree.  I did not expect it to be that hard.  I didn't even make it all the way through , I feel like such a wimp.  Going to keep trying though!  And I'm pretty sure I'll be heading to the doctor about my leg.  It's not getting better and I have a couple of trail races I want to do in the fall.  Probably won't be able to get in until next week but I need to do something.
Janet

2014-07-31 8:36 AM

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by Dogpaddle Sorry, Silver Sneakers is a great program for seniors that is covered by some medicare plans. In some cases it covers the cost of your gym membership. It varies depending on the gym but includes activities for seniors, gentle yoga, walking, strengthening, etc. Trust me I don't mean to make light of the program. Most of the individuals at my gym who are in the program are very senior and are dependent on walkers, and canes. I have the utmost respect for these individuals because they are staying active despite how difficult or painful it is. It just hit me the other day when I went to the desk and the new girl asked me if I was there for the silver sneakers class.. ugh

My parents are in that program.  They're both still pretty active (dad plays golf as often as possible and mom still works part-time) but with the program they're able to go to the gym and work out.  It's been good for helping to keep them healthy.

2014-07-31 4:00 PM

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by Dogpaddle

Kinetic Revolution observation - I started day 1 of the challenge yesterday. I'm only doing 1 set instead of 3 for now. When I do the hamstring stretch my knees sound like someone walking over bubble wrap. When I do the frog stretch, both of my kneecaps move and pop. I'm going to try again today but I think these exercises are repeated all week. At this point I don't want to do more harm than good. I'm just a hair away from being relegated to the silver sneaker program.

I think you would have more peace of mind if you visited a medical professional, possibly a doctor in Sports Medicine, or a sports-focused physical therapist. (S)he can tell you if your knees are a concern or not. But beware! When I first wanted to take up running I went to a general practitioner, since one knee had pained me continuously for 10 years. Oh No, she said. I probably had arthritis and running would make it worse and lead to knee surgery. SHE WAS NOT HERSELF AN ATHLETE.
Fortunately, I knew a young woman who is both a runner and a physical therapist. She told me she thought some PT could fix me right up. So I went to her office, and in just 3 weeks of hip-strengthening exercises, my knee was 90% better and entirely runnable. Now my cardinal rule for any medical professional I see is that (s)he be an athlete. How my life would be different if I had listened to the first one!
Silver Sneakers may be fine, but if that thing is still alive inside you that wants to do more, oh yes you can.
Lots of joint noises don't actually mean a thing; and other conditions may need a specialized approach. Find someone who can help you figure it out. Rest assured, all the things that bother you in your 50's will be worse in your 60's unless you are really proactive. That's what you're in it for, right? To see your health and fitness improve decade by decade instead of watching them decline?
And oh, BTW, there's a team of 80 year-olds doing the CLT as a relay. My kind of life, although I hope I'll still be able to do the whole thing.
Hang in & use your intelligence as well as your will,
Deb
2014-08-01 7:39 AM

2014-08-02 2:47 PM

Master
Maryland
I am on Day 2 of KR. I like following KR and it is based on a lot of science. The stretch & strength drills I am familiar with to try and work my hips. But balance, oh my I really failed those exercises. At least there is only one way for me to go, UP !

2014-08-03 7:18 PM
in reply to: Terps421

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: first race after layoff
I did the Niantic Bay sprint tri this morning, my first race since a calf strain on June 8th. This was the second outdoor tri I have completed.

My PT and trainer both advised treating this race as a training run, so I agreed to walk if I felt any calf soreness or pain during the run. I went into the race with the goals of improving my swim time and testing the calf during the run. The good news was the calf felt fine.

My overall time of 1:32:30 put me at the rear of the middle of the pack, kind of where I would expect to land after 8 weeks of reduced training.

As far as the race: 1/2mile swim time of 17:44 was a solid improvement over my first swim event time of 20:53. I'm happy with this, since I improved my sighting and got a bit more involved in the field, as opposed to staying back and away from the pack. I still have lots of room for improvement, but this was a confidence booster. I think that continued focus on swim fitness would be a good use of my training time.

The other thing that was a positive for me was my run time of 28:18, or an 8:51 pace. Nothing stellar, but better than my first tri run segment, since I wasn't completely gassed after the bike like I was in my first race. Considering I did no bricks at all this summer, I'm going to call this a success. I have more upside here if I can be smart and avoid re-injuring the leg.

Perhaps the best part of the day was the social atmosphere. Race was put on by the Harford Marathon Foundation, and they did a great job. My wife got up at 4:30am and joined me, despite threats of morning rain. We met up with several folks from my local Y tri club who were doing the race, then followed the event by spending the remainder of the day lounging at a friend's beach cottage in Niantic. All in all, a pretty good day.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Dave

2014-08-04 12:29 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

Subject: RE: first race after layoff
Congratulations Dave!

A 3+ minute improvement on your swim time is great!

It's also great that your calf felt fine. I've also been struggling with a calf strain that finally seems to be improving. My next triathlon is in 3 weeks. I hope my calf behaves as well as yours!

Scott I.
2014-08-04 7:01 PM

Spencer, New York
Subject: Race Report Cayuga Lake
I had another great race, with a big PR in the swim, a PR for this event in the bike, and a disappointing run.
The previous day I had attended an open water swim clinic given by pro triathlete Doug McLean, and had a total paradigm shift. Previously, my strategy was to try to stay away from other swimmers and just swim my swim. What I learned in the clinic was to do the opposite: that the gain from drafting other swimmers is immense; getting kicked is just part of the race and kicking others is not rude; that I should look under water for the bubbles from their feet and try to stay in them; that following the bubbles even makes sighting mostly unnecessary.
So that is exactly what I did in the race, starting in the middle of the middle of the pack and swimming pretty hard to stay with other swimmers, focusing on staying in their bubbles. Fairly early on (100-200 yds?) I did start to tire, slowed a bit, but then looked around for someone else's bubbles to ride.
My time was a full minute less than what my pace during trainings and other races would predict, and 3:23 less than in the same race last year! I wasn't particularly exhausted when I finished, either.
My improvement on the swim was probably what won me the AG; I bested the second place finisher by only 58 seconds overall.
Time was 20:20 for 750 meters, which puts it in the 44th percentile among all 152 women and 34th percentile among all 327 competitors.
T1 was another good one, #2 among all women, #8 among all competitors.
Bike time was 50:50 for 14.12 miles, 16.8 mph. That's only a hair slower than at the Senior Games, but that course was pretty flat, and this one is fairly hilly with a great big long one for the first mile, so I'm pretty happy with my time. It was 3:44 faster than last year, 72th percentile among all women and 52th percentile among all competitors. My bike by the way is an upgrade from last year, but it is not a lovely tri bike like Steve's. It's just a very inexpensive road bike to which I've added some nicer components, notably my 60/60 Flo wheelset.
In T2 I had a hard time getting one shoe on, so it wasn't as good as last year. Still faster than more than half of all competitors though. More baby powder!
The run didn't feel terribly awful, but my time was bad. As I neared the halfway point, I was approaching that "remind me again why I do this?" phase when I came to a water station with the volunteers all dressed like jungle animals, more (stuffed) jungle animals hanging from the trees, blasting Pharrell Williams' Happy at full volume. Boy, did that energize me! Then I rounded the corner and crossed the footbridge to the falls, with only a couple of other runners in sight. It was one of those moments so spectacular and precious I wanted to stop and savor it somehow, but of course I didn't. Rounded the turn-around, back through the Jungle again (realizing those volunteers listened to that same song for HOURS; such dedication!). I should have been able to really pour it on for the return, but it was not quite there. I didn't feel bad; just couldn't go faster, although I did sprint the last quarter-mile.
Time was 32:13, which was 1:34 slower than last year, 36th percentile among all women and 28th percentile among all competitors.
Maybe I really did wear myself out in the swim & bike, more than I thought.
My total time was a very respectable 1:45:51, 5:19 faster than last year!. That is 59th percentile among all women and 44th percentile among all competitors. That is not bad considering I was one of the oldest competitors in the race.
I think it's time to do the Olympic distance next year. One of the reasons I do relatively well here is that the best competitors are doing the Olympic. I am confident enough to join them. (Although I won't be first in my AG anymore!)

Edited by ok2try 2014-08-05 9:10 AM
2014-08-05 6:54 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: first race after layoff
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Congratulations Dave!

A 3+ minute improvement on your swim time is great!

It's also great that your calf felt fine. I've also been struggling with a calf strain that finally seems to be improving. My next triathlon is in 3 weeks. I hope my calf behaves as well as yours!

Scott I.

Congratulations Dave. It sounds like you had a very good race. Was the swim in fresh water or in the Sound?
Especially glad your calf was fine; and Scott, I hope yours continues to improve and is good for your race.
Deb
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 47169 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50228 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19336 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31