BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-11-09 4:52 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Week before race training advice
Originally posted by juneapple

Hi All,

Hope everyone is having a good season. Saturday I'm running a half marathon, which I guess will be my A race for the year by default :-) Can't say I'm as prepared as I'd like, but not a disaster. Biggest issue for me is the extra weight I'm still carrying around. That needs to come off by spring.

Question for the runners out there. If you're doing a long race, what is your training plan for the week before the race? Just short, loose runs? What distance? My max weekly mileage leading up to the race was 26 mi / week with a longest run of 12 miles.

Thanks in advance,
Stu

Stru:

I'm a guy who likes a rest day prior to racing. So, I always take the day before the race off. If you were training with 3-4 runs per week, I would probably be thinking along the lines of 5 miles on Monday, 3 miles Wednesday, 2 miles Friday. On each run I would warm up for a third, race pace for a third, easy for a third. Something like that.

2014-11-10 7:47 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I agree with Steve, rest and just do a few short EASY runs. The day before i run at most 2 miles with maybe 100 yards being tempo just to keep your legs in turnover mode. you can not really get more fitness in the week prior to the race but you can get injured. You want to get to the race chomping at the bits to run.

I just ran my 1st marathon this Saturday 11/8 and i posted a race report. It is LONG.
In a nutshell my time was 4:14:38,
1st split 9:47 pace
2nd split 9:46 pace
3rd split 9:40 pace
to finish 10:05 pace

I'm slow but it was fun, up next 50K (31.07 miles) Dec 13.
karl
2014-11-11 8:37 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Congrats on finishing your first marathon Karl. That was quite an accomplishment given you Cut back on you training due to your heal problem. I enjoyed reading your race report - very fitting for Veterans' Day. The only running you need to be doing between now and your 50K is easy running.
2014-11-11 2:21 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
How long should the runs be? Do I need a 20 miler?
2014-11-11 6:03 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by KWDreamun

I agree with Steve, rest and just do a few short EASY runs. The day before i run at most 2 miles with maybe 100 yards being tempo just to keep your legs in turnover mode. you can not really get more fitness in the week prior to the race but you can get injured. You want to get to the race chomping at the bits to run.

I just ran my 1st marathon this Saturday 11/8 and i posted a race report. It is LONG.
karl

Nice job, congrats!

I am thinking of putting my first marathon on the list for 2015.

Good luck with the 50k.

James
2014-11-11 8:56 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

karl

Congrats on the marathon finish. A solid accomplishment.

Next up is a 50k? The only way I'm going 50K is on a bike or in a car. But good luck!

Steve

2014-11-12 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

karl

Thanks Steve and Karl for the advice. Pretty much my plan, but I noticed that there was some surprising variation in on-line training plans - which may have been due to them being general - wanted to get some grey advice :-) Now about those expected start time temps of 28 degrees... sheez...

Karl - congrats on your marathon results. That's a solid last split pace for a 1st marathon. My overall time on my first (and only) was about the same as yours, but my wheels came off around mile 19. Seemed like the entire race field passed me in that last quarter of the race :-) You'll do great in the 50K - more power to you!

Stu
2014-11-12 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I tried a Gu 1 time and didn't know to drink with it and it "hit" my stomach. I really do not even like the gels and I train with pop tarts and even ran with them in the marathon. So during the marathon I carried a bottle of coconut water and when they had Gu's I would stop and add a gel to the bottle and fill up w/ powerade.

After the run, some people told me I would be better off drinking water w/ the gu and not powerade but they couldn't explain why. Have ya'll heard anything like that? Could someone explain why water or powerade is better or worse when taking Gu gels?

thanks
karl
2014-11-12 6:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I tried a Gu 1 time and didn't know to drink with it and it "hit" my stomach. I really do not even like the gels and I train with pop tarts and even ran with them in the marathon. So during the marathon I carried a bottle of coconut water and when they had Gu's I would stop and add a gel to the bottle and fill up w/ powerade.

After the run, some people told me I would be better off drinking water w/ the gu and not powerade but they couldn't explain why. Have ya'll heard anything like that? Could someone explain why water or powerade is better or worse when taking Gu gels?

thanks karl

I think there are a couple problems combining a gel pack and a sports drink together.

The first is the sodium concentration you would get from combining the two products.  Too much sodium you become increasingly thirsty, you drink more, and that can lead to all kinds of problems.

Next is the overall electrolyte concentration you would have.  Two much electrolyte can cause as many problems as too little.

Finally, there are the calories you would be taking in.  A general rule of thumb is 250-300 calories per hour intake is about all your body can handle during intensive exercise.  Any more and your asking for GI tract problems.  The type that Imodium can't control - if you get my meaning.

There is an alternative though, you might consider Infinit Performance.  I guess you would call it a sports drink.  It is custom made for YOU.  ON their website there are a number of questions that help determine concentration, calorie level, electrolyte level, protein level, etc. Some might say it is a bit on the pricey side (I think it was like $50 for enough to make 25 bottles), although if you actually price it out next to other stuff on the market I didn't think it was excessive.  Having used it, I strongly recommend it. My formula provides 286 calories plus all the other goodies I need per serving which I mix in 24-ounce bottles.  One bottle an hour and I am golden - no thinking which makes for one less thing to worry about on race day.  You can investigate it yourself at http://www.infinitnutrition.us/.

Edited to say: And no, I have nothing to do with Infinit Nutrition other than being an extremely satisfied user.

Edited by k9car363 2014-11-12 6:24 PM
2014-11-13 6:27 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Thanks Scott, that makes sense. I will check out Infinit's site. $50 is cheap considering all the $$$ and sweat you put into a race to have it go south.
2014-11-16 5:40 AM

User image

Expert
Well, can't say the half marathon was one of my best races, but glad I did it as it provided some on-going motivation over the last month+ for running. Made plenty of mistakes on this one, but did manage to just come in under 2 hours. My goal was 1:55 and would have been disappointed to be over 2 hours, so I guess that's the silver lining for the race itself. Anyway, here's the race report.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Need to keep on being a food Nazi. The difference between 205-210 and 195ish is significant. Also need to do more speed and strength work. Next major race is March half marathon in Florida, so need to keep the 10 mile long runs going through the holidays while adding bike and swim to the mix.

2014-11-16 9:49 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by juneapple Well, can't say the half marathon was one of my best races, but glad I did it as it provided some on-going motivation over the last month+ for running. Made plenty of mistakes on this one, but did manage to just come in under 2 hours. My goal was 1:55 and would have been disappointed to be over 2 hours, so I guess that's the silver lining for the race itself. Anyway, here's the race report. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... Need to keep on being a food Nazi. The difference between 205-210 and 195ish is significant. Also need to do more speed and strength work. Next major race is March half marathon in Florida, so need to keep the 10 mile long runs going through the holidays while adding bike and swim to the mix.

You killed it!!

My 8K was my slowest one yet--but I know I ran smart for where my legs are these days and kept my head in the game so I'm happy with the race.

2014-11-17 5:37 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Hey Stu, which 1/2 mary are you doing in FL in March?

Nice race report and congrats on the race.
2014-11-17 2:26 PM

User image

Expert

Hey Stu, which 1/2 mary are you doing in FL in March?

Nice race report and congrats on the race.

There's one in Ft. Myers (where my Mom lives) in early March that I've done before that's sponsored by Hooters (of all places). More importantly, it's a big fundraiser for Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, where my Dad spent quite a bit of time. So, I try to schedule a visit with my Mom to overlap with the race when I can. Also, a reasonably fast course... so, if I'm ever gonna have another shot at breaking 1:50, that course would be a good option :-)

Stu
2014-11-18 9:57 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by KWDreamun Hey Stu, which 1/2 mary are you doing in FL in March? Nice race report and congrats on the race.
There's one in Ft. Myers (where my Mom lives) in early March that I've done before that's sponsored by Hooters (of all places). More importantly, it's a big fundraiser for Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, where my Dad spent quite a bit of time. So, I try to schedule a visit with my Mom to overlap with the race when I can. Also, a reasonably fast course... so, if I'm ever gonna have another shot at breaking 1:50, that course would be a good option :-) Stu

I signed up for the new Historic Petersburg HM April 18.  The Petersburg Battlefield is about 15-20 minutes from my house and the course will run through there .....having run the battlefield a few times I know it is going to be a crazy hard course cause it is hilly with shortcut steep hills and hard banks  it's miles 4-7 of the course and there will be a battle reenactment going on during the race  Not a PR kind of race, but one heck of a challenge for sure!!

Edited by QueenZipp 2014-11-18 9:58 AM
2014-11-18 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by QueenZipp

I signed up for the new Historic Petersburg HM April 18.  The Petersburg Battlefield is about 15-20 minutes from my house and the course will run through there .....having run the battlefield a few times I know it is going to be a crazy hard course cause it is hilly with shortcut steep hills and hard banks  it's miles 4-7 of the course and there will be a battle reenactment going on during the race  Not a PR kind of race, but one heck of a challenge for sure!!

Woah... good for you, Judi! Sounds like a great race. I would imagine a battle would help get the adrenaline going ;-) I think that is the same weekend as my planned first triathlon in the 55s. Last time I did that race, I qualified for the nationals by placing 2nd in my age group, so that will be the goal again this year. Hard to be thinking that far in advance already. First goal is to get through Jan 1st a little lighter than I am today. This time of year... uffff...

Stu

2014-11-18 5:58 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Originally posted by KWDreamun Hey Stu, which 1/2 mary are you doing in FL in March? Nice race report and congrats on the race.
There's one in Ft. Myers (where my Mom lives) in early March that I've done before that's sponsored by Hooters (of all places). More importantly, it's a big fundraiser for Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, where my Dad spent quite a bit of time. So, I try to schedule a visit with my Mom to overlap with the race when I can. Also, a reasonably fast course... so, if I'm ever gonna have another shot at breaking 1:50, that course would be a good option :-) Stu

Sounds like an interesting race.  Since the battlefield is only 15-20 minutes away, you should be able to get in some training runs on the course :-)

2014-11-18 6:39 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by dcon

Sounds like an interesting race.  Since the battlefield is only 15-20 minutes away, you should be able to get in some training runs on the course :-)

I intend to, I've run it (and ridden it) before.  Definitely a challenging one on the bike cause it's constant shifting.  The run?  Umm, yeah it will be crazy too but a bunch of hill repeats may make me stronger in the future.

Edited by QueenZipp 2014-11-18 6:39 PM
2014-11-19 9:54 AM
in reply to: lutzman

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
Hi all. Getting back in the game. I have been just sitting around for a many years and can't stand it anymore. You guys will need to be my screaming heads to make sure I am doing my training. I will be hitting the pool today and can hardly wait. I have complete about 30 tris in the years passed but have just gotten REALLY lazy. So let the fun begin...............
2014-11-19 10:54 AM
in reply to: gpinson

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
Welcome Gpinson. We are looking forward to hearing more form you. Enjoy your swim!
2014-11-19 2:31 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: I need your help on my first HM.
Who would have guessed that there would be so many people just dying to run a HM in Syracuse in February? (Think Snow! COLD! ) But when I went to sign up for the aptly named Lake Effect Half, it was all sold out unless I wanted to get a charity bib. So I decided to do that and now I'm committed to raising $250 to benefit Ophelia's Place, a Syracuse-based non-profit that benefits individuals & families affected by eating disorders & disordered eating.
It may be easier to raise money to fight cancer, but eating disorders are just as lethal and can be harder to cure. It's also very difficult to find resources if you are up against this challenge.
So come on, guys! If 19 of my friends will kick in just $13 each, the suggested donation for the half, although less (or more!) is of course also appreciated, I'll have done my part, and won't just be running this thing for myself alone.
Here's the donation site:
https://runsignup.com/Race/12506/Donate/R8emSM259gFnA2o0
I actually think fund-raising is harder than training for the race, so thank you in advance for your support!
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2014-11-20 5:33 PM

2014-11-19 4:48 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Sounds like a fun race Judi.  I am a history buff so the re-enactment would be a problem.  I would have to stop and watch . . . which probably wouldn't help my time very much!

2014-11-19 5:01 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

First goal is to get through Jan 1st a little lighter than I am today. This time of year... uffff... Stu

I know!  Right? 

The kids are already asking if we are doing the "normal" Thanksgiving feast, by which they mean WAY to much food.  On the one hand, I consider myself somewhat the gourmet chef and absolutely love taking a couple days and cooking the Thanksgiving meal; on the other hand, I haven't yet mastered removing all the calories from the Thanksgiving feast.  Yeah and don't talk to me about portion control, we all know how that works at the Holiday table.  Oh well, I can think of worse reasons for having to do extra workouts.

2014-11-19 8:32 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Hi everyone, it looks like a lot of you have been busy! I've been off the grid a bit, but finally getting back into it. Sunday I kick off training for my 1st Marathon, Maine coast marathon in May, should be a good 1st for me, starts a few miles from home and is a nice flat course along the coast of Maine. I enlisted a coach to help me out, mostly just online and a training plan, but have the option to work one on one when needed. So come full on winter I will be out there regardless of the weather getting in the miles to finish strong ( I hope! )
I enjoy seeing the comments from the southerners about the cold temps! Although we haven't had any cold temps really yet I love running when it is cold out, maybe it's because I have such a heavy layer of insulation I did finally put some running pants on when it got down to the low 30's, I was running in shorts last week when it was in the 40's, nice to have the warm weather so late in the year up north.

Karl, great job on the marathon, I hope to do as well? But especially thank you for doing it for one of our fallen brothers!

Stu, awesome job on your HM I know for me I need to start out slow and really get warmed up for any length race or I just burn out, once I'm good and warmed up then I can pick up my pace and hold it much better.

Scott, thanks for the endorsement of Infinite Nutrition, I've seen it and thought it looked like a good choice, I will definitely give it a shot.
As for Thanksgiving, we have a big feast planned with the girls home from school and some other friends, I will get up early and get a few hours of training in so I can eat what I want and not fret too much!

Judi, good luck on the HM sounds like a great venue for a race.

Steve, glad to hear your on the mend and you are able to train again. At least when your on the trainer watching the Seahawks it takes the pain of riding out of your mind! Says the Niner fan. Rough season for both of our teams!!

Deb, have you decided what snow shoes you are going to run your half in?? Hopefully you didn't get too much snow. I got you started on your donations, waiting for the rest of the group to pitch in for you.

Good training all
2014-11-20 7:34 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Spencer, New York
Hey Dan from Maine, good to hear from you, and thanks for donating to my cause.
I also bought a training plan for my race from an online coach, Jason Fitzgerald at Strengthrunning.com. It's geared to injury prevention & so far, so good. I'll be with you in spirit during your cold-weather runs. I ran Monday in the freezing rain & snow, but just swam Tues & Wed when the temperature was in the teens. Can't avoid it today, but it's a balmy 26 degrees! I have access to a treadmill, but that's pretty tedious.
BTW we did not get that big snow dump, just an inch or two.
Stay well, everyone.
Deb
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 47455 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50565 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19482 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31