BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-11-21 5:18 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Week before race training advice
I am so frustrated! My ankle is hurting so bad I can't even run 1 step and I can't figure out what to do about it. I guess my chance to run the 50k is out!

I hope everyone has a safe, good training weekend and stays warm.

karl

2014-11-21 5:57 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by KWDreamun

I am so frustrated! My ankle is hurting so bad I can't even run 1 step and I can't figure out what to do about it.

I guess my chance to run the 50k is out! I hope everyone has a safe, good training weekend and stays warm.

karl

When there is pain to the point that you "can't even run one step" it is time to go see a doctor!

Yeah I know, going to the doctor is a pain in the backside, and if you're anything like me, you would rather be dragged naked through broken glass than go to the doctor.  But if you can't walk on it there may be something serious going on and you run the risk of doing permanent damage.  My humble opinion is go get it checked.

2014-11-21 7:55 AM

User image

Spencer, New York

I am so frustrated! My ankle is hurting so bad I can't even run 1 step and I can't figure out what to do about it. I guess my chance to run the 50k is out!

I hope everyone has a safe, good training weekend and stays warm.

karl

Here is a really good article about returning to running after a marathon.
http://strengthrunning.com/?s=reverse+taper+
While I know endurance athletes who can run 2 marathons in a weekend, most of us mere mortals need more recovery than we think.
Also, I cannot recommend pool running enough, but the water has to be over 5' deep. It may help your ankle recover sooner & also maintain your fitness. You may recover sooner than you think & be able to do your 50k after all.
I'll second Scott's suggestion to see a Dr. You may need to rule out a stress fracture.
Good luck!
Deb

2014-11-21 7:57 AM

User image

Spencer, New York
2014-11-21 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Thanks guys, 7 weeks to get in to an orthopedic dr so I went out and bought the strassburg sock to wear at night for PF and bought a CEP RxOrtho ankle brace so maybe I'll be able to run 2 miles tomorrow and maybe bike 2 hours. I'll keep ya'll informed

and yes going naked thru glass is better than going to a doctor..lol

karl
2014-11-21 5:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Karl,

See if you can find a PT or sports massage person. If the pain is near the outside ankle bone, it may simply be a tight muscle.   See:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage/self-muscle-massage-pt-8-shinouter-ankle/   

There are some good pics and a video at the bottom for self massage.   See this page for related stretches:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/stretching-series/stretching-pt-8-shinouter-ankle/

Edited by dcon 2014-11-21 5:43 PM

2014-11-21 6:55 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

One more point: I recommend you hold off on the running and biking until the pain is gone.  Even a week off right now is not going to interfere with your performance at the 50km.  

2014-11-21 7:17 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Thanks guys, 7 weeks to get in to an orthopedic dr so I went out and bought the strassburg sock to wear at night for PF and bought a CEP RxOrtho ankle brace so maybe I'll be able to run 2 miles tomorrow and maybe bike 2 hours.

karl

Karl,

You don't need an orthopedic doc at this point; you need a doctor that can rule out serious injury and order imaging studies if indicated.  They can likely do an x-ray at an Urgent Care facility.  If it were me, I would get it checked yesterday.  I also would definitely not be running or biking until there is no pain - period!  There is too great a risk of further injury or doing permanent damage.

Just my two cents.

2014-11-26 9:15 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving and if you are on the road, please be careful!
2014-11-26 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Happy Thanksgiving fellow Grays! Turkey Trot in the morning :-) Then the cooking marathon begins!
2014-11-26 10:32 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by juneapple

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Grays! Turkey Trot in the morning :-) Then the cooking marathon begins!

Not just cooking. Plenty of eating, too!

2014-11-27 10:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Happy Thamksgiving

Just finished a Turkey Trot. Let the eating begin! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Try not to over indulge too badly.

Edited by k9car363 2014-11-27 10:55 AM
2014-11-27 11:40 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Happy Thamksgiving
Originally posted by k9car363

Just finished a Turkey Trot. Let the eating begin! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Try not to over indulge too badly.

Well done! True dedication. No races for me but I did take my two Aussie Sheperds out for about a five mile jog. They were in dog heaven.

Happy T-Day everyone!

Steve
2014-11-27 5:49 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman
Originally posted by k9car363

Well done! True dedication. No races for me but I did take my two Aussie Sheperds out for about a five mile jog. They were in dog heaven.

Happy T-Day everyone!

Steve

Not so much dedication as selfish motivation.  I figured for every mile I ran I got a couple more bites at the dinner table! 

Nothing like running with the dogs.  If I so much as look at the leashes, they are spinning circles in anticipation.

2014-11-27 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

I haven't done a T-day in quite a few years, but hope everyone had a very enjoyable day and dinner.  

2014-11-27 8:29 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by dcon

I haven't done a T-day in quite a few years, but hope everyone had a very enjoyable day and dinner.  

I totally forgot about you being in Japan.  Several years ago I hosted a Vietnamese exchange student and she had never had turkey prior to her Thanksgiving with us.  That whole expense of shipping overseas thing while keeping them at the right temperature is just pesky....She had also never baked cookies before so living with us was interesting once she learned I would let her bake.  She got pretty good.

My dinner was an exercise in salvaging things.  The heating element for the oven decided to quit.  Gee thanks oven, had to do it on Thanksgiving?  It took a whole lot of creative shuffling and graciousness on my families part to eat foods not quite as hot as we would like.  But it was cooked through safely and tasted fine.  

2014-11-28 1:15 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: New Mentor Page starting soon
Hey Gray guys/girls team:

In the next couple of weeks, the 2015 mentor pages will be started up by BT. This has two immediate implications for all of us:

1) Our current page (the one you're reading now) will be shifted to the archives and not readily available
2) We will need to migrate to a new mentor program page...assuming Ron approves it, which I think he will.

We do plan to continue the Gray guys/girls mentoring program page in 2015, so hopefully all of you will consider sticking with us and moving over to the new address when it's approved and goes live.

Here is the big announcement:

Scott K has graciously agreed to assist by serving as the co-leader of this mentoring page with me. As you all know, Scott is a virtual encyclopedia of swim tips and has been a great asset to all of us. In only makes sense for us to utilize his knowledge to help everyone get faster.

Of course, the great thing about this forum has been everyone willing to share ideas and feedback.

For my part, I'm pretty well recovered from my nasty injury at the Boise HIM. I've been running and biking on a regular basis and now that I can train pain free (mostly) the competitive fire is starting to come back. I haven't hit the pool yet because work has had me travelling like a fool. But, the time for excuses is over (as is my business travel after next week until January) so I'll now have the time to get to the pool and confirm that I still sink. That said, my current goal is to get a strong race result early in the season (June) next year that will qualify me for the Age Group Nationals in August in Milwaukee. It's good to have goals!

I hope your holiday was a good one. Watch the BT sight for our shift to the new address in the next few weeks.

Best,

Steve

2014-11-28 4:06 PM

just read through some of this forum. I just turned 50 and am starting back to training after 18 months off. Hate excuses, so doesnt matter why, but over that 18 months I put on about 50 lbs that I dont want.

I ran a few halfs, a few 10K and a fair amount of 5K. I rode a century a month and usually rode 2-3 days a week too.

I always wanted to do a tri, and thats what I am going to train for. Figure if I get going now, I can get in shape enough for a sprint by april.

This is going to hurt.

Anyway hope to hang out here and learn.

Oh and I actually joined a gym with a pool just today. Swimming is going to be interesting, as I cant remember the last time I did any distance.
2014-11-28 5:28 PM
in reply to: Vesteroid

Regular
Libertyville, IL
I stumbled on this group and started to read and read and read the posts. I am a 55 year old male and looking to make a change in my life.
Many more questions than comments but I feel a unique connection.

My name is Daniel. I sense this group is ongoing and I am a real beginner.
Does this group still welcome new members?
Daniel
2014-11-28 7:09 PM
in reply to: longrun26

User image

Regular
Originally posted by longrun26

I stumbled on this group and started to read and read and read the posts. I am a 55 year old male and looking to make a change in my life.
Many more questions than comments but I feel a unique connection.

My name is Daniel. I sense this group is ongoing and I am a real beginner.
Does this group still welcome new members?
Daniel

Hi Daniel:

This is a very open and welcoming group. Ask questions and you'll get plenty of feedback. As my earlier post indicates, we'll probably migrate to a new address with the start of 2015. However, you're welcome to follow us over and join the fun.

Best,

Steve
2014-11-28 7:12 PM
in reply to: Vesteroid

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Vesteroid

just read through some of this forum. I just turned 50 and am starting back to training after 18 months off. Hate excuses, so doesnt matter why, but over that 18 months I put on about 50 lbs that I dont want.

I ran a few halfs, a few 10K and a fair amount of 5K. I rode a century a month and usually rode 2-3 days a week too.

I always wanted to do a tri, and thats what I am going to train for. Figure if I get going now, I can get in shape enough for a sprint by april.

This is going to hurt.

Anyway hope to hang out here and learn.

Oh and I actually joined a gym with a pool just today. Swimming is going to be interesting, as I cant remember the last time I did any distance.

You'll be fine. You know how to train. It's just juggling the three sports to develop a level of proficiency in each discipline. Once you have that down, you get to work on transitions. There is a lot to learn, but it's a whole lot of fun.

Steve

2014-11-29 7:53 AM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Good morning,

Daniel here. This group is supportive and informative. I feel fortunate to have found it.
I know accountability to myself and others is important to stick to a program. I am midlife career changer. Left a corporate career 10 years ago on early retirement and became a teacher. Love my career and feel great about making a change and difference. 7th grade literature/language arts rocks! But I have gained 40 pounds over the past 10 years!

Over the past 10 years I have allowed life to get in the way. My wife and I put our two boys through college and I earned three masters degrees. Time to reclaim and take care of me.

I am 55, 6'0" and weigh 258. Before 45 I was never thin but ran 16 marathons and biked. I completed 6 sprint triathlons. I was never fast but felt confident and did it for me. I miss the competition. While my immediate goal is to drop weight and gain confidence I am already searching the internet for runs, biathlons and triathlons.

I have started walking - and really enjoy it. The idea of running right now is daunting at my weight. I walk 3-4 miles daily at a brisk pace and am slowly feeling the desire to be out every day is growing. Have stuck to it for three weeks.

So my question is... keep going alone at home and use this site for motivation or join a global gym or a triathlon gym (Amphibian Multisport)? AM is incredible, unique, new and a mile from the house. It is a real community and has bike trainers, a two lane pool and tread mills but is $175 a month. Home is free. XSport and LifeTime are very close to home and much cheaper.

Suggestions, input or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Daniel
2014-11-29 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Look forward to seeing all you old-timers (redundant?) and new folks on the new mentor page. Glad to hear you and Scott will be teaming up officially. Unofficially, Scott has been a wealth of info and I kind of already thought of him as a co-mentor. With your running background and Scott's swimming... a team to be reckoned with! Thanks to you both.

Did the Turkey Trot on Thurs with my daughter. Her first time breaking 30:00 and on a very challenging course - she was pretty stoked. I enjoyed my extra helping of mashed potatoes later ;-) Need to stay on track with the weekly long-run (10 miles anyway) habit this weekend, so I don't lose all the good work from training for the half marathon. Legs are feeling back to normal.

Stu
2014-11-29 11:36 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by longrun26

Good morning,

Daniel here. This group is supportive and informative. I feel fortunate to have found it.
I know accountability to myself and others is important to stick to a program. I am midlife career changer. Left a corporate career 10 years ago on early retirement and became a teacher. Love my career and feel great about making a change and difference. 7th grade literature/language arts rocks! But I have gained 40 pounds over the past 10 years!

So my question is... keep going alone at home and use this site for motivation or join a global gym or a triathlon gym (Amphibian Multisport)? AM is incredible, unique, new and a mile from the house. It is a real community and has bike trainers, a two lane pool and tread mills but is $175 a month. Home is free. XSport and LifeTime are very close to home and much cheaper.

Suggestions, input or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel:

I don't think any of this is an "either/or" question. If the gym is an expense you want to avoid, no problem. There are plenty of ways to connect with the tri-community via the internet. You'll find lots of people willing to help and provide suggestions and feedback. On the other hand, I like going to the gym and connecting with other people. And you'll probably meet some people with fitness goals similar to yours that you can train with.

That said, one of the reasons I pursued running initially was it was a sport I could engage on my own schedule. I travel a lot for work and running can pretty much travel with me. Biking and swimming are similar. I can and fit the workouts around my schedule, not the gym, not anyone else. So I can pursue fitness on my terms. And the triathlon lifestyle works well with this.

$175/month is steep. I guess for me it would come down to what's my time worth? The biggest challenge everyday is finding time to work out. The easier it is do get into workout mode, the more likely I am to do it. So, if the gym 1 mile away makes it that much easier for you to get in and get the workout done, so much the better.

As you know from running marathons, the keys to success are setting realistic goals, translating the goals into a simple plan and then having the courage and discipline to stick with it when it's much easier to skip the workouts.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Steve

2014-11-29 11:37 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Originally posted by juneapple

Look forward to seeing all you old-timers (redundant?) and new folks on the new mentor page. Glad to hear you and Scott will be teaming up officially. Unofficially, Scott has been a wealth of info and I kind of already thought of him as a co-mentor. With your running background and Scott's swimming... a team to be reckoned with! Thanks to you both.

Did the Turkey Trot on Thurs with my daughter. Her first time breaking 30:00 and on a very challenging course - she was pretty stoked. I enjoyed my extra helping of mashed potatoes later ;-) Need to stay on track with the weekly long-run (10 miles anyway) habit this weekend, so I don't lose all the good work from training for the half marathon. Legs are feeling back to normal.

Stu

Glad you're sticking with us, Stu!

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 47149 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50203 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19326 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31