BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-07-09 8:26 PM
in reply to: BF JEFF

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Any benefit?
I had toyed with the idea of wearing my sleeveless tri jersey for my entire race and not bothering to change tops at any point. I figured I'd put the jersey on and try swimming in it to see if it restricted my movement at all. It didn't, but the surprise that I got was that it seemed like the jersey was so tight that it restricted my chest movement making it harder to breathe. All of a sudden, it seemed like a struggle to keep my breath through a 200m warm up! I was shocked! After a few warm ups, I felt comfortable enough to try a full 600m. About 200m into it, they had to close the pool for 30 minutes because of lightning. Yikes!

Anyway, I thought maybe I'd just do my tri swim without a top on. But as I started thinking about it, I thought maybe I'd continue doing my pool sessions with the top on, figuring that it would strengthen my lungs. I thought I'd feel like the swim was a lot easier on race day if I was breathing without interference if I trained with some my breathing somewhat restricted.

What do you think of that concept? Am I crazy? Would there be any benefit to my swim fitness by training that way and then removing the restriction on race day? I'm curious to hear opinions. It may be a moot point since I was able to fairly comfortably do 1000m tonight with the jersey on, but it was something I was considering. Please share your thoughts.

2014-07-09 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4996689

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN
I've just started my triathlon training. I'm already an accomplished runner (I was training for an ultra marathon when i decided to switch to triathlons). My swimming needs work and until I get an actual road bike I am training indoors for the biking portion. I'd really like help with my swimming.

Thank you,

Joe
2014-07-10 6:50 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: Any benefit?
Originally posted by rjchilds8

, I thought maybe I'd just do my tri swim without a top on. But as I started thinking about it, I thought maybe I'd continue doing my pool sessions with the top on, figuring that it would strengthen my lungs. I thought I'd feel like the swim was a lot easier on race day if I was breathing without interference if I trained with some my breathing somewhat restricted.

• Please share your thoughts.

• hi BRChilds. - I just completed a Sprint distance with a Jersey top on that was comfortably tight. I have noticed the tightness when Im putting it on, but usually thats it. I did the swim and bike not really thinking about it, but during the run, I noticed so many men with their tops unzipped (out-and-back run) that I chose to do it and it felt good. -

Summary: if you are having trouble breathing in it, I dont know if its a great idea for you to wear the top at all. But I hate wasting money, so if you can get some use out of it training, that sounds like a good compromise.
    2014-07-10 7:35 AM

User image

Subject: MY FIRST SPRINT !
    Did my first sprint yesterday. I got there early for packet pickup, but missed the chip pickup and body marking. Felt a little rushed (had to leave for work and come back) as I was setting up Transition area, but it was pretty easy. I didnt use bike shoes, running shoes, socks, sunblock or bug spray. I have some lightly tinted sunglasses and a helmet. (oh and the race number belt).

SWIM - 23:25. This was good for me. Sighting could have been better, but my biggest issues are (1) this is pretty close to my pool speed. (2) I felt I kept stopping when there were a lot of bodies on/around me. #303 / 336.

T1 1:45 #57/336

BIKE - Felt good. Need to improve with practice and strength. #144/ 336

T2 0:45 #54/336 - could have gotten off bike smoother

RUN 24:45 #117 / 336 - Decent effort. Happy with results.

OVERALL - nicely run race. Some room for improvement, Some improvement with experience. SWIM needs help! !! ! #7/15 35-39M - #173/336
    2014-07-10 7:50 AM
    in reply to: Jakester5724

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Jakester5724 Ordered my first road bike and it should be coming in tomorrow. As somebody who has never ridden a road bike before does anybody have any tips on riding and posture? Used to medium sized MTB's that keep me riding pretty upright. Also, my swimming has seemed a little lousy recently. Don't know if it's because I haven't been swimming enough, if my form is wrong, if I'm not pacing myself properly but it seems I have to come up for a second or two nearly every 50... Any tips from strong swimmers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Just curious, when you say "come up for a second or two nearly every 50" do you mean you are stopping to rest or do you mean you literally "come up" as in you are only breathing once or twice every 50?  You should be exhaling into the water and not holding your breath.

Post a picture of your bike when you get it.  Posture will depend on the fit of your bike and your flexibility, but may take a little getting used to if all you have ridden is a mtb bike.

2014-07-10 8:11 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I had toyed with the idea of wearing my sleeveless tri jersey for my entire race and not bothering to change tops at any point. I figured I'd put the jersey on and try swimming in it to see if it restricted my movement at all. It didn't, but the surprise that I got was that it seemed like the jersey was so tight that it restricted my chest movement making it harder to breathe. All of a sudden, it seemed like a struggle to keep my breath through a 200m warm up! I was shocked! After a few warm ups, I felt comfortable enough to try a full 600m. About 200m into it, they had to close the pool for 30 minutes because of lightning. Yikes! Anyway, I thought maybe I'd just do my tri swim without a top on. But as I started thinking about it, I thought maybe I'd continue doing my pool sessions with the top on, figuring that it would strengthen my lungs. I thought I'd feel like the swim was a lot easier on race day if I was breathing without interference if I trained with some my breathing somewhat restricted. What do you think of that concept? Am I crazy? Would there be any benefit to my swim fitness by training that way and then removing the restriction on race day? I'm curious to hear opinions. It may be a moot point since I was able to fairly comfortably do 1000m tonight with the jersey on, but it was something I was considering. Please share your thoughts.

Randy,  

It seems like you may have already adapted to swimming in the jersey.  I would not recommend swimming in anything that truly restricts your chest movement or breathing. Restricting your chest movement won't strengthen your lung capacity, so I see no real swim benefit for race day.  I imagine the jersey just felt restrictive in comparison to what you were used to.  If you are already swimming comfortably with it on, then you have changed that perception and should be good to go.  Practice with it a little more if you need to, but wear it on race day and save that time and hassle of trying to put on a tight jersey over soaking wet skin in T1.  

Edited by Dominion 2014-07-10 8:12 AM

2014-07-10 8:33 AM

User image

Originally posted by BF JEFF

, I thought maybe I'd just do my tri swim without a top on. But as I started thinking about it, I thought maybe I'd continue doing my pool sessions with the top on, figuring that it would strengthen my lungs. I thought I'd feel like the swim was a lot easier on race day if I was breathing without interference if I trained with some my breathing somewhat restricted.

• Please share your thoughts.

• hi BRChilds. - I just completed a Sprint distance with a Jersey top on that was comfortably tight. I have noticed the tightness when Im putting it on, but usually thats it. I did the swim and bike not really thinking about it, but during the run, I noticed so many men with their tops unzipped (out-and-back run) that I chose to do it and it felt good. -

Summary: if you are having trouble breathing in it, I dont know if its a great idea for you to wear the top at all. But I hate wasting money, so if you can get some use out of it training, that sounds like a good compromise.

I wish the jersey I have fit better, but is it much tighter than I thought it would be. I just blindly ordered an XL since most other shirts I wear are either L or XL. I should have looked more closely at the sizing chart. Anyway, the jersey is almost like a second skin because it is so tight. I wore it in the pool last night and was able to do 1000m non-stop. I wasn't trying to go fast, but I still finished the full 1000m in 29:37. So it isn't that it makes it impossible to breathe. I was more wondering if people thought swimming with my breathing restricted by this tight jersey would help increase the strength/stamina of my lungs. On race day, I will probably swim without a top on at all. Heck, it might even just be a psychological boost because it will feel easier to breathe without the jersey on. But I really wanted people to share their opinion if they thought there would be an actual benefit to my conditioning by training this way.

Edited by rjchilds8 2014-07-10 8:33 AM
    2014-07-10 9:27 AM

User image

I wish the jersey I have fit better, but is it much tighter than I thought it would be. I just blindly ordered an XL since most other shirts I wear are either L or XL. I should have looked more closely at the sizing chart. Anyway, the jersey is almost like a second skin because it is so tight. I wore it in the pool last night and was able to do 1000m non-stop. I wasn't trying to go fast, but I still finished the full 1000m in 29:37. So it isn't that it makes it impossible to breathe. I was more wondering if people thought swimming with my breathing restricted by this tight jersey would help increase the strength/stamina of my lungs. On race day, I will probably swim without a top on at all. Heck, it might even just be a psychological boost because it will feel easier to breathe without the jersey on. But I really wanted people to share their opinion if they thought there would be an actual benefit to my conditioning by training this way.

I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist. We spend a lot of time on the CardioPulmonary systems. But I am not a swim (or any other) coach. From my perspective, I dont think breathing with a restriction will make your lung muscles (primary or accessory) significantly stronger. Swimming more often, running and biking will definitely have a positive effect on your CardioPulmonary system and I believe the focus should be on inefficiencies and sprints. Briefly increasing your speed in the middle of a workout can really help your performance over time.

But again, Im not a coach.
    2014-07-10 11:15 AM

User image

Originally posted by BF JEFF

I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist. We spend a lot of time on the CardioPulmonary systems. But I am not a swim (or any other) coach. From my perspective, I dont think breathing with a restriction will make your lung muscles (primary or accessory) significantly stronger. Swimming more often, running and biking will definitely have a positive effect on your CardioPulmonary system and I believe the focus should be on inefficiencies and sprints. Briefly increasing your speed in the middle of a workout can really help your performance over time.

But again, Im not a coach.

Thanks, Jeff! I might continue to do it just because there's still a chance I'll decide to wear the jersey during the swim portion, too. If I can feel comfortable with it to the point that it isn't causing any performance issues, then it should help to keep my transition times shorter. I'd be able to limit my changes in the transition to just footwear and my bike helmet. If I can't get to that point, then I'll swim with no shirt and maybe I'll get a psychological boost because it will just feel easier swimming without the jersey. But thanks for the helpful info!
    2014-07-10 11:26 AM
    in reply to: Dominion

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I had toyed with the idea of wearing my sleeveless tri jersey for my entire race and not bothering to change tops at any point. I figured I'd put the jersey on and try swimming in it to see if it restricted my movement at all. It didn't, but the surprise that I got was that it seemed like the jersey was so tight that it restricted my chest movement making it harder to breathe. All of a sudden, it seemed like a struggle to keep my breath through a 200m warm up! I was shocked! After a few warm ups, I felt comfortable enough to try a full 600m. About 200m into it, they had to close the pool for 30 minutes because of lightning. Yikes! Anyway, I thought maybe I'd just do my tri swim without a top on. But as I started thinking about it, I thought maybe I'd continue doing my pool sessions with the top on, figuring that it would strengthen my lungs. I thought I'd feel like the swim was a lot easier on race day if I was breathing without interference if I trained with some my breathing somewhat restricted. What do you think of that concept? Am I crazy? Would there be any benefit to my swim fitness by training that way and then removing the restriction on race day? I'm curious to hear opinions. It may be a moot point since I was able to fairly comfortably do 1000m tonight with the jersey on, but it was something I was considering. Please share your thoughts.

Randy,  

It seems like you may have already adapted to swimming in the jersey.  I would not recommend swimming in anything that truly restricts your chest movement or breathing. Restricting your chest movement won't strengthen your lung capacity, so I see no real swim benefit for race day.  I imagine the jersey just felt restrictive in comparison to what you were used to.  If you are already swimming comfortably with it on, then you have changed that perception and should be good to go.  Practice with it a little more if you need to, but wear it on race day and save that time and hassle of trying to put on a tight jersey over soaking wet skin in T1.  

It's possible that it was all in my head. But in between swims with the jersey on I did a swim without the jersey. The swim without the jersey seemed like breathing was easier. My breathing was more labored during the first swim with the jersey on, to the point that I almost felt like I wasn't going to be able to complete a 150m warm up. When I went back to swimming without the jersey, it felt like breathing was easier and I had a very good swim. I went back to wearing it last night. Although I was able to do 600m and then another 1000m, it did seem like my warm ups were more difficult. I'm going to have to do a time trial and see if I feel like it is negatively affecting my performance.
    2014-07-11 7:07 AM

User image

Randy,

I had a track and cross country coach in college that would make us do this thing called diaphragmatic breathing. Essentially would hold a bar bell and breath. His contention was this would strengthen the diaphragm and accessory respiratory muscles. We all thought it was crazy. He also wanted us to use a heart rate monitor and now that is pretty standard. Maybe he was just ahead of his time. Probably no worse than wearing an altitude mask and looks less a lot less ridiculous.

Does the shirt feel restrictive when it is dry? Do you think it is just a sensation thing?

Nate

2014-07-11 10:20 AM
    in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Randy,

I had a track and cross country coach in college that would make us do this thing called diaphragmatic breathing. Essentially would hold a bar bell and breath. His contention was this would strengthen the diaphragm and accessory respiratory muscles. We all thought it was crazy. He also wanted us to use a heart rate monitor and now that is pretty standard. Maybe he was just ahead of his time. Probably no worse than wearing an altitude mask and looks less a lot less ridiculous.

Does the shirt feel restrictive when it is dry? Do you think it is just a sensation thing?

Nate

It's fairly restrictive even when it's dry. It really is almost like a second skin! I should have paid better attention to the sizing chart when I ordered it. It's tighter than most compression shirts I've ever owned (and I own a lot of compression shirts!). I think the material is thicker and less forgiving than my compression shirts, so it seems like it is making it harder to breathe.

I'm going to keep wearing it and see how my swim training goes. I'd prefer to wear just a single shirt for the whole event. But I'm almost afraid to because I worry it could affect me on the bike and run. It is not easy to get on when I'm dry, so I don't want to try to pull that on when I'm wet! I may have to bite the bullet and go out and buy a new tri jersey, preferably one I try on in a store to make sure it fits better.
    2014-07-11 10:20 AM
    in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Subject: RE: MY FIRST TRIATHLON
    Originally posted by The President of the United States of America

Great job on your First Triathlon this week Jeff!

Thank you Mr. President
    2014-07-11 12:24 PM
    in reply to: #4996689

Hey dominion, when I said come up every 50 I meant stop for a second or two to get a good breath. I used to do swim team so I'm very used to swimming longer distances and I always breath regularly (~4-6 strokes usually for me with a fairly relaxed pace) but I find myself still winded after swimming. Could it just be I've kid of deconditioned my body from swimming since I haven't been giving it much focus? And any ways to improve my lung capacity again? Great lungs when I run and I'm very familiar with the idea of keeping my breaths paced and on cadence in any of the three disciplines. Just don't understand :/
    Also, bike isn't the best but I figured I'd save the money on my first bike so room left in budget for tri suit and other equipment ad that way I feel like I'm able to drop more on a nicer bike if I get more into the sport. Don't see a place to add picture either..? Would love to show it off and I will when I figure out how to
    2014-07-12 7:48 AM
    in reply to: Jsalonis

User image

Originally posted by Jsalonis

I've just started my triathlon training. I'm already an accomplished runner (I was training for an ultra marathon when i decided to switch to triathlons). My swimming needs work and until I get an actual road bike I am training indoors for the biking portion. I'd really like help with my swimming.

Thank you,

Joe

welcome Joe- have you signed up for a race - or do you have a goal that you would like to be TRI ready by? I am also weakest in my swim. Recently completed my first SPRINT. #303/336 out of the water, but I improved on the next sections
    2014-07-12 4:57 PM

User image

Subject: Training the last week before a tri
    Just curious about a couple different approaches to training during the last week before my triathlon. I was considering a couple different approaches and I'm curious what some of the experienced triathletes on this group have done. I was planning to maintain my usual training schedule up until the last week before the event. My two thoughts were:

1. Last 3 days would be one sport each day, not the full event distance except for the swim. I'd probably do bike (50% of race distance), run (probably full 5K), and then swim on Wednesday. I'd rest Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for my event on Sunday.

2. I'd make Wednesday a mini triathlon. Again, I'd swim the full 550 m distance, do about half the bike (6.6 miles out of 14 for the event), and then do half a 5K run. Then I'd have Thursday, Friday, Saturday to rest up for Sunday.

What are your thoughts? Is either one better than the other? I know you're supposed to taper, but for just the sprint distances I don't feel like it's that big of a deal. The bike is probably my weakest sport and the one that would take the biggest toll on my legs. But with either plan I'm still getting 3 full days of rest before the event.

2014-07-12 7:30 PM

User image

New user
    Subject: 2nd Oly in the morning!
    Have my gear packed and I'm ready to roll! This one is a short 20 minute drive from home! YAY for close races! It's flat and hopefully a fast course. Swim is in Lake Huron and they claim its a balmy 71 degrees. I'll take it! Hoping the rain holds off till the run leg or just completely misses us but it don't look too good on the radar. ;/ Good luck and have fun out there everyone! My training fell off the wagon this last week. So I'm well rested going into tomorrow. I'll be sure to let ya'll know if that is a "good" taper technique

Scott
    2014-07-12 7:35 PM
    in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Subject: RE: 2nd Oly in the morning!
    Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

Have my gear packed and I'm ready to roll! This one is a short 20 minute drive from home! YAY for close races! It's flat and hopefully a fast course. Swim is in Lake Huron and they claim its a balmy 71 degrees. I'll take it! Hoping the rain holds off till the run leg or just completely misses us but it don't look too good on the radar. ;/ Good luck and have fun out there everyone! My training fell off the wagon this last week. So I'm well rested going into tomorrow. I'll be sure to let ya'll know if that is a "good" taper technique

Scott

Good luck, Scott! Looking forward to the race report!
    2014-07-13 1:06 AM

User image

Rj, I would consider myself experienced but I am awake so I will comment. I have trained thru all of my races with the idea that they are all "B" races and my goals have been fitness, weight loss and having fun. I am proud of the daily commitment to these goals. For my "b" races I plan for a typical week ie I get 6 or 7 workouts in (three come in a single day. I try to decrease duration but maintain some intensity (shorter tempo or fewer intervals). I plan to taper for my final tri . I think there is good advice on this on the beginner page.

NP

Edited by nrpoulin 2014-07-13 10:48 PM
    2014-07-13 4:42 PM
    in reply to: #5024936

RJ, I am far from an expert, but I'm racing this weekend as well (sprint distance). It's not my "A" race. I'm planning to take Thurs off, not do anything crazy strenuous Friday, and do my long run and bike either early in the week or not at all. Hope your race goes well! You too Scott, good luck!
    2014-07-13 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Jakester5724 Hey dominion, when I said come up every 50 I meant stop for a second or two to get a good breath. I used to do swim team so I'm very used to swimming longer distances and I always breath regularly (~4-6 strokes usually for me with a fairly relaxed pace) but I find myself still winded after swimming. Could it just be I've kid of deconditioned my body from swimming since I haven't been giving it much focus? And any ways to improve my lung capacity again? Great lungs when I run and I'm very familiar with the idea of keeping my breaths paced and on cadence in any of the three disciplines. Just don't understand :/ Also, bike isn't the best but I figured I'd save the money on my first bike so room left in budget for tri suit and other equipment ad that way I feel like I'm able to drop more on a nicer bike if I get more into the sport. Don't see a place to add picture either..? Would love to show it off and I will when I figure out how to

Jake,

sorry to take so long to respond (I have been on vacation a few days and the beach house didn't have wifi).

Your swimming endurance should come back pretty quickly.  Nothing particular to do to improve lung capacity but swim and swim some more.   if you have a background in swimming and know how to breath properly, you should see improvements in a short time frame.  

Having a starter bike and investing in a better one later if you stick with the sport is a good idea.  It is what I did and what a lot of others do as well.  

To post an attachment/picture just click the "Attach a file after posting" box below.  Then submit your post and it will ask you to then attach your file.

Edited by Dominion 2014-07-13 7:06 PM

2014-07-13 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia
    Subject: RE: Training the last week before a tri

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Just curious about a couple different approaches to training during the last week before my triathlon. I was considering a couple different approaches and I'm curious what some of the experienced triathletes on this group have done. I was planning to maintain my usual training schedule up until the last week before the event. My two thoughts were: 1. Last 3 days would be one sport each day, not the full event distance except for the swim. I'd probably do bike (50% of race distance), run (probably full 5K), and then swim on Wednesday. I'd rest Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for my event on Sunday. 2. I'd make Wednesday a mini triathlon. Again, I'd swim the full 550 m distance, do about half the bike (6.6 miles out of 14 for the event), and then do half a 5K run. Then I'd have Thursday, Friday, Saturday to rest up for Sunday. What are your thoughts? Is either one better than the other? I know you're supposed to taper, but for just the sprint distances I don't feel like it's that big of a deal. The bike is probably my weakest sport and the one that would take the biggest toll on my legs. But with either plan I'm still getting 3 full days of rest before the event.

As you race more, I would encourage you to try different tapers to see what works best for you.  That being said, I don't feel you will need 3 full days of rest.  I don't know anyone that takes three full days of nothing but rest, even for longer races.  

Mon-Wed I would do normal workouts but start cutting volume to 75% of norm and easing up on any run intensity.  (all runs at an easy to moderate intensity/pace this week) I would go easy on Thursday in all 3 sports if you have the time.  Short run, maybe 2 miles at easy pace.  Short bike (12 to 15 miles) at an easy/moderate pace, try to avoid hills.  Friday would be a complete rest day.  Saturday I might get in another easy swim and a short bike (like 5 to 7 miles very easy).  This should leave you rested but not rusty.

2014-07-13 8:24 PM

User image

New user
    Subject: Caseville Olympic race report
    Caseville Olympic Triathlon Turned Duathlon.

I woke up at 4:45 to pouring rain. Uhg. I’m looking at the radar and eating a quick bite before I head out the door and it’s not looking good as far as rain. Fortunately the rain did stop once I got on the road, but the wind decided it wanted to stick around for the day.

I suppose it was bound to happen eventually in my triathlon career where the swim conditions are deemed unsafe and the race is turned into a Duathlon. Well, that is exactly what happened today. I have mixed feelings about the swim cancellation. I wanted to swim, but not in those conditions. The race director tried to wait it out and see if the wind was gonna calm down and delayed the start to no avail. So my Olympic Tri turned into a 5k run, 40k bike, 10k run.

Now being running is my main background I figured I hand an upper hand on a good portion of my age group. Or I hoped. The run started out in 3 waves. ½ iron went first followed by the Olympic, and Sprint/Du folks. I didn’t look at my pace for the first run, just tried to keep it at a decent and semi-comfortable pace. In the age group standings I was 3rd with a 22:20 and 3rd in T1 in 54 seconds. Not bad.

The bike ride overall went well. Had a hickup getting into my pedal straps at the start but that’s gonna happen until I can get clipless pedals. It’s an out and back course with a blustery tail wind. Sometime between the email going out with the course description and race day the bike course changed due to construction. I think. I wasn’t quite prepared for the turn but I made it for the ½ mile or so detour from what I was expecting to for a course. My areo bars seemed to help as my average pace climbed to 19.7 mph for the 40k with a very stiff wind on the ride back. My bike time of 1:16:08 was good enough for 5 in my age group and had an uneventful T2 time of 43 seconds. Very happy with those times.

The 10k run is where I started to have issues. I hadn’t trained at all for a run bike run type event and by the mile mark I was already starting to feel my legs starting to scream. By the half way point my quads were burning. I made it to roughly the 4 mile point and had to stop and tried to stretch. That just made my hammy mad! So, stopping was no longer an option. Sucked it up and walked through the water stations and just keep running. Mustered up half a sprint to the finish line with a 10k time of 51:08 and overall time of 2:31:10. Also had the best run time in the age group for the 10k. Missed 1st place by about 2 minutes and the next few behind me were 5 minutes back. Age group had 10 participants. I’m certian had the swim been a go things would have played out differently but ya gotta roll with what mother nature throws at ya!
    2014-07-13 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
    Deep South, Georgia
    Subject: RE: Caseville Olympic race report

So 2nd in the AG! Strong!

I've had a few swims shortened, but not a complete cancellation or change to a Du.  I'm sure it is coming though.  Nice job of adapting and dealing with the weather.  

2014-07-13 10:28 PM
    in reply to: Dominion

User image

Subject: RE: Training the last week before a tri
    Originally posted by Dominion

As you race more, I would encourage you to try different tapers to see what works best for you.  That being said, I don't feel you will need 3 full days of rest.  I don't know anyone that takes three full days of nothing but rest, even for longer races.  

Mon-Wed I would do normal workouts but start cutting volume to 75% of norm and easing up on any run intensity.  (all runs at an easy to moderate intensity/pace this week) I would go easy on Thursday in all 3 sports if you have the time.  Short run, maybe 2 miles at easy pace.  Short bike (12 to 15 miles) at an easy/moderate pace, try to avoid hills.  Friday would be a complete rest day.  Saturday I might get in another easy swim and a short bike (like 5 to 7 miles very easy).  This should leave you rested but not rusty.

Thanks, Chris! It's hard to tell if I'd be able to do all 3 on a Thursday. The pool hours are limited and may not work well with my schedule. Wednesday's are much better and I'm more likely to be able to get to the pool on that day. But I can try for a Thursday workout. I guess worst case scenario would be that I do a brick with no swim. The bike portion of my event is only 14 miles, so a short bike might be more like maybe 9 miles?

I'll try out that plan and see how I feel on race day. I'll let you know!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
    Views: 43190 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
    Views: 50432 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 19425 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : November 23, 2010
    comments : 0
    I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
    author : mat steinmetz
    comments : 7
    I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
    date : July 17, 2005
    author : chrisandniki
    comments : 0
    A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?