BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-08-02 10:36 AM
in reply to: #5033993

User image

New user
Watford
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN
Hi all,

My monthly totals are down this month as I have been carrying a knee injury which I hope is cleared now.
I have been told that I need to have deep muscle massage every two weeks. A bit expensive so I'm going to try and do this myself.
I'm off to Spain on holiday with the family in a weeks time, so although I won't be able to bike but I should get a lot of sea swimming in.
I hope to do another tri some time in Sept IF I can find one in or around north London.
Next year I hope to do a few more events (if I can afford it). I was thinking of one every 6 weeks roughly from May through Sept.
What's the thinking on this - to many, about right.......

Thanks

2014-08-02 12:54 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Cycling approach to hills

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I have read several articles that say the best approach to running up hills is to maintain an effort level that is consistent with your effort when running on flat ground. The idea is that you won't wear yourself out or expend too much energy going up and you will recover faster and have more energy to take advantage of the downhill slope. I was wondering if people also used this approach to their cycling. Specifically, I'm talking about relatively short hills, maybe a tenth or two tenths of a mile long, and not a sustained uphill (although I'd be interested to hear your approach to a sustained hill if it is any different). I find when I'm training that I tend to speed up a little for the short uphill and then ease into the upward slope, but try to maintain a roughly equivalent effort level once my speed has returned to my typical pace. This is especially true when I'm on a downward slope coming to the hill. I try to take advantage of the easier downhill slope to speed into the hill. I feel like expending a little extra energy on a flat or downhill section allows me to make the hill a little easier to manage. What do you think of that approach? Or am I just overthinking it and I should just stay steady the whole time?

There are two approaches I take when encountering the kind of hills you are describing.  One would be to maintain effort.  This usually requires shifting into an easier gear, staying seated (preferably in aero) and just spinning up the hill without any major changes to your effort.  The second would be to attack the hill by maintaining the current gear (or not shifting as far to an easier one) thus increasing your effort.  This may require standing and pushing hard to clear the hill fast and then back to a seated aero position to recover on the downhill.  Which approach I choose usually depends on the situation.  In training I may push hills early in a ride and "sit in" if its later and my energy levels are lower.  While racing I may push a hill to make a pass or drop someone, or may sit in if it is later in the ride and I am thinking about saving my legs for the upcoming run.

As far as a down slope coming into another hill, yes, I almost always try to build a little momentum.  I think that is common practice.  

2014-08-02 1:28 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by MMW37 July totals: S: 14997 yd 6:12:58 B: 169.88m 10:32:27 R: 65.17m 11:13:04 I'm pretty happy with that. I've been training 5-6 days a week and getting pretty good work in. Some of my biking is actually spinning too - I just guess at mileage based on my time on the bike. August is going to be hard - we're spending next weekend in Chicago, then I have another sprint 8/17, and then we leave immediately for a week at my parents'. I think I'm just going to write that week off now - I might take a couple of runs, but I'm going to be crazy busy. Good job everyone!

Take the time off to refresh mentally.  Maybe a run or two like you are considering just to keep the neurons firing, but get away and enjoy the time off from training.  That way you will be refreshed and hungry to get back at it on your return.

2014-08-03 6:58 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: Flying dismount

So I spend a little time yesterday afternoon practicing my flying dismount for coming into T2.  Now I have never done one before, always just stopping the bike short of the dismount line and getting off conventional style.  I felt like this was an area where I could save a few seconds by learning a new skill.  Plus after seeing it up close in my last race (as a guy I had just passed at the end of the bike leg, came up and flying dismounted right back past me as I climbed of my bike) I decided it was time to step up.    It took me 5 or 6 times to get it all worked out.  The biggest problem I was having was what to do with my right arm.  It always seemed to be in the way of my right leg coming up and over.  Eventually I figured out that sitting up as straight as possible and putting my hands on the aero pads gave me the most upright posture and got my arm high enough out of the way to swing the leg.  All in all I did it about a dozen times gradually getting a little faster.  I even had the confidence to call the kids out to the driveway to watch the last one.  

Now the question is do I pull it out for the first time ever in competition at Age Group Nationals next weekend?     #Pressure

2014-08-03 11:34 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Subject: RE: Flying dismount
How many more weeks do you have to practice?

I get my feet out of my shoes and pedal with them on top but don't do the flying dismount. At my level the seconds don't matter so much. Would like to be able to get my shoes on while on the bike. Was planning on practicing that next year.
2014-08-04 7:56 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Americus, Georgia
Hey, Chris! Don't suppose you are doing the tri at Veterans state park this coming Saturday? I'll be there. Between travel and pnuemonia I'm not expecting to perform well, just needed a goal to keep my rear in gear. What races are you planning to do this fall?

2014-08-04 7:59 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Americus, Georgia
Originally posted by TonyAbbott

Hi all,

My monthly totals are down this month as I have been carrying a knee injury which I hope is cleared now.
I have been told that I need to have deep muscle massage every two weeks. A bit expensive so I'm going to try and do this myself.
I'm off to Spain on holiday with the family in a weeks time, so although I won't be able to bike but I should get a lot of sea swimming in.
I hope to do another tri some time in Sept IF I can find one in or around north London.
Next year I hope to do a few more events (if I can afford it). I was thinking of one every 6 weeks roughly from May through Sept.
What's the thinking on this - to many, about right.......

Thanks

Have you tried using a roller? My husbands job is physically demanding, and he could certainly use a massage on a regular basis, but instead of that expense, he uses a foam roller a few nights a week. Check out this article and see what you think: http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/what-is-a-foam-roller-h... Good luck!!!
2014-08-04 9:15 AM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Monthly totals
My July totals stunk with the exception of my running.

July's totals
Swim: 36m - 0.5 Yd
Bike: 2h 32m 16s - 49.07 Mi
Run: 11h 51m 12s - 87.51 Mi

Olympic race this coming Saturday. Not entirely pumped about this one. Looks like a race day decision is looming. I might drop down to the sprint. 500m vs 1500m swim sounds rather enticing. This was also my first ever Tri last year. So, I could try to have a better time in the sprint vs struggle busing an Olympic distance. This one is not USAT sanctioned either so, it's kinda more for fun. No AG awards either. I'm leaving it up to how I'm feeling Saturday morning. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll stick to the Oly, if not I'll drop down and give the sprint my best effort.

Scott
2014-08-04 5:56 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Monthly totals

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 My July totals stunk with the exception of my running. July's totals Swim: 36m - 0.5 Yd Bike: 2h 32m 16s - 49.07 Mi Run: 11h 51m 12s - 87.51 Mi Olympic race this coming Saturday. Not entirely pumped about this one. Looks like a race day decision is looming. I might drop down to the sprint. 500m vs 1500m swim sounds rather enticing. This was also my first ever Tri last year. So, I could try to have a better time in the sprint vs struggle busing an Olympic distance. This one is not USAT sanctioned either so, it's kinda more for fun. No AG awards either. I'm leaving it up to how I'm feeling Saturday morning. If I'm feeling ambitious I'll stick to the Oly, if not I'll drop down and give the sprint my best effort. Scott

If you don't feel comfortable with the swim, drop down to the sprint.  As you say, it will give you a good chance to compare to where you were last year.

2014-08-04 5:58 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy Hey, Chris! Don't suppose you are doing the tri at Veterans state park this coming Saturday? I'll be there. Between travel and pnuemonia I'm not expecting to perform well, just needed a goal to keep my rear in gear. What races are you planning to do this fall?

Nope, Milwaukee this Saturday. 

I'm doing the two races in Clarks Hill on September 6th and 7th.

2014-08-04 6:00 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin How many more weeks do you have to practice? I get my feet out of my shoes and pedal with them on top but don't do the flying dismount. At my level the seconds don't matter so much. Would like to be able to get my shoes on while on the bike. Was planning on practicing that next year.

Last year I was able to get my feet out of the shoes before dismount, and my goal this year was to get the flying mount and dismount down.  I finally got around to working on it.  After getting the feet out, it didn't take too much to go the extra step to swinging the leg over.  I haven't started working on getting my shoes on, while on the bike.  Maybe for next year?

2014-08-04 8:32 PM
in reply to: #5034099

Definitely do it at AGN Chris! Just practice a few more times before you go. Wish I was joining you - the logistics just didn't work this year, since it wasn't even on my radar until the invite came. Next year hopefully I can plan for it!

I tried getting out of my shoes on the bike at the end of my last ride - massive fail. Didn't quite wipe out, but could have. I'll keep practicing, but it might not be ready for my race on 8/17. My wetsuit also arrived today, so I need to figure out how to use that in the next week and a half. Good thing I have a pool at my house.

I second the foam roller. I got one for some annoying quad pain, and it does a great job. They also have some at my Y by the stretching areas.

Good luck to Chris, mtpg, and anyone else who is racing this weekend!!
2014-08-04 8:32 PM
in reply to: #5035140

Scott too - good luck!
2014-08-05 9:55 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

New user
Subject: RE:Bike sizing?
I'm looking at a new used bike. It's a Felt S-32 2009 model 56cm. As far as the bike fitting me. I'm 6'1". Should I even consider it? I've heard that sizing is different for TT bikes vs road bikes. Bike shop had me on a 58cm road bike for a rough fit. Any tips on what to look for? The price is almost right and if I can make it work for me I'd love to get it. Thanks.
Scott

(bike.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike.JPG (362KB - 2 downloads)
2014-08-06 2:09 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Last minute advice
Getting a little excited and nervous as race day approaches! Any advice people would like to impart to a first time triathlete? Any race day tips or words of caution? I feel fully prepared on a physical level, just wondering if there are any usual rookie pitfalls that I can try to avoid. Any advice is welcome!
2014-08-06 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Last minute advice

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Getting a little excited and nervous as race day approaches! Any advice people would like to impart to a first time triathlete? Any race day tips or words of caution? I feel fully prepared on a physical level, just wondering if there are any usual rookie pitfalls that I can try to avoid. Any advice is welcome!

Don't go out too fast on the swim.  

Mentally rehearse your transitions.  

If something does go wrong, keep  moving and don't dwell on it.  

If you get to the second half of the run and still feel like you have something left, then go hard...don't leave it on the course.  

Stay focused and when things get tough, tell yourself that this is what you have trained for.  This is race day.  This is what it's all about!

Look around during the race and take it all in.  Live in the moment and have fun!

2014-08-06 9:45 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE:Bike sizing?

Scott, 

It's really hard to say, everybody's dimensions are different, but I would say at 6'1, you are probably more suited for the 58.   I would suggest just riding it.  The seller will let you take it for a ride or two right?  

When I say ride it, I don't mean go down to the end of the road and back, I mean take it on a real ride, at least 20 miles.  See how it feels, how it fits.  Are you comfortable on it in aero for an extended period.  Does it feel cramped at all or do have plenty of room?  If it feels right, you will know.  If it doesn't, don't try to force it or convince yourself that you can "make do".  If it's too small, it's too small.  Move on and keep looking, you'll find one.

2014-08-06 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I'm currently sitting in a hotel in Paducah, KY.  We'll make it on in to Milwaukee tomorrow.  

Reality is setting in.  

A lot excited, a little nervous!

2014-08-06 10:43 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by rjchilds8
Getting a little excited and nervous as race day approaches! Any advice people would like to impart to a first time triathlete? Any race day tips or words of caution? I feel fully prepared on a physical level, just wondering if there are any usual rookie pitfalls that I can try to avoid. Any advice is welcome!

I've read several stories about people forgetting their shoes, bike helmet, front wheel, etc. The night before, I pack my transition bag and go through the list on the usatriathlon.org website to make sure I don't forget anything, and then I also put spare shoes, a spare helmet, spare goggles, etc. in my truck. Just in case. Because I know someday I'm going to take off and leave my fully packed transition bag sitting next to the front door. My spares are not something I would normally race with (my spare helmet is one my son bought 20 years ago as a teenager, ha ha ha!) or even train with, but things that will make do in a pinch. I only pack spares of things that are required for racing. And I stand my front wheel upright in my truck bed so I can see it in my rearview mirror. It gives me a level of comfort at 5:00 in the morning when I suddenly panic, wondering if I forgot my bike and/or wheel.

I also pack a bagel or two for breakfast on the drive to the event which, for me, is usually two hours or more. By eating an hour into the drive, it gives me enough time to digest the bagel sufficiently before my wave begins.

Check your bike thoroughly two nights before your event. Just by chance, I discovered my chain was broken just before my last triathlon and had to make a late night run to Walmart. If I hadn't checked it, I wouldn't have discovered it until I hopped on my bike during the race. My chain had worked fine earlier that day; I have no idea when or how it broke!

If you have a chance, do the race route beforehand. I've gone off course twice in events because the courses were a bit confusing and I hadn't had the chance to do the routes prior to the events.

Take a tire pump--your "real" tire pump--and check your tires before heading into the transition.

Study the transition area when you get there and make sure you know where you're supposed to go for each leg. My first tri, I ran out the bike in entrance, instead of the run out entrance, and lost about 30 seconds or so while the volunteers flagged me down and reoriented me. You should have plenty of time after setting up your transition area, so familiarize yourself as much as possible and visualize how you'll do each transition.

Don't bother drying yourself off in the transition. Your adrenaline will be pumping so hard you won't even notice you're all wet and nasty when you get on your bike, and you'll be dry by the time you start your run.

Stash a $20 in your cup holder in case you forget your money, credit cards, ID, etc. at home and arrive at the event site with an empty tank because you were so nervous and focused on your race that you forgot to check your fuel level.

Mostly have fun. If something doesn't go as well as planned, laugh it off and make the best of it. Accept the challenge!

That's all I can think of. I have the experience of three, whole sprint triathlons under my belt! Good luck! I can't wait to read your race report.
2014-08-07 11:53 AM
in reply to: #5035141

User image

Lots of good advice. Mine is relax. Talk to people. Smile. Have fun. Thank your family for their support. You have done the distances. Unless you are planning on winning your age group there is no reason to get to nervous. This is for fun. No matter what your time is, or if you get a penalty, you are still miles a head of where you were last year. Double check your bag. Setup your transition area and relax. Enjoy this day.

Oh and remember to smile for the camera!

NP
2014-08-07 7:58 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by rjchilds8

Thanks, everyone! Lots of great points. I've had many of these thoughts as I've mentally gone over this race quite a few times in my head. My brother and I volunteered at this same race back in June and got a great view of the transition area and we're fairly familiar with the course. I think one of the biggest things for me will be to follow Chris's point about not going out too fast too early in the swim. I've tried to practice this a little at the pool recently to try to train myself to ease into it. This has happened to me before on 5Ks when I end up blasting out of the gate too fast and then have to spend a mile in the middle catching my breath. We're way past 5Ks now, but the point is still valid.

Good luck in Milwaukee, Chris! I just know that at least once during my race I'll be hearing your words in my head and I'll be rooting for you.

Randy

2014-08-07 9:14 PM
in reply to: #5036389

I'm a swimmer and I went out too fast on the swim in my first race - then I overcompensated and swam too slow in my second. I also tried to run the wrong way out of transition, lol. My bike pedals only clip in on one side - make sure that side is up if you're having trouble clipping in out of T1. Don't forget to drink something on the bike.

Oh, and thank the volunteers and have fun! I didn't forget those things, and I'm sure you won't either

I can't seem to make myself train this week. I was sick, then on call a lot last week, and I'm exhausted - more so than I should be. I keep making excuses not to set my alarm, and I know I can never count on getting time after work. And we're out of town this weekend. Maybe I need the break? But with the weekend vacay and a whole week later this month, I should have been working hard this week. Mad at myself...
2014-08-08 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Thanks Randy and good luck to you too.  Let us know how it went as soon as you get the opportunity.

2014-08-08 4:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: AG Nationals

Here's a few photos I took today.

Swim Practice

The Shiv ready to spend the night.

The finish chute!

Edited by Dominion 2014-08-08 4:58 PM

(DSCN0714.JPG)

(DSCN0723.JPG)

(DSCN0709.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DSCN0714.JPG (254KB - 3 downloads)
DSCN0723.JPG (278KB - 2 downloads)
DSCN0709.JPG (300KB - 3 downloads)
2014-08-09 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4996689

User image

New user
Subject: First DNS
First did not start for a triathlon I was signed up for of my young career. ?? long story short, my 2yr old was in the hospital and we're home already and he's fine. Hope everyone else had a great race! I'm bummed but glad my family is healthy once more. Now to train hard for my last tri of the season next month!

Scott
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43047 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50231 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19337 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?