BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-08-09 12:21 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

kingwood, Texas
Subject: RE: Joining Dominions Sprint focus group
I am new to BT and want to do all I can to improve. I have been bitten by the Tri bug!
I did a Sprint in March ignorant and with very minimal training-basically a couch to Sprint program in a book. But I MADE IT!
Now I am doing the Beginner Sprint HR program and loving it!
I would like to be on/in this forum to get additional information.
Let me know what I have to do.
Thanks---
Angie Barnett

2014-08-09 3:32 PM
in reply to: #5037409

User image

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN
Sorry to hear that Scott. Glad everyone is ok.

Looking forward to reading some race reports Chris and Randy.

Angie are you training for a specific race?
2014-08-09 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: First DNS

Glad to hear everything is OK.  Don't worry about the race, there will be others.  Family of course always comes first.

2014-08-09 5:51 PM
in reply to: angiebrntt

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Joining Dominions Sprint focus group

Originally posted by angiebrntt I am new to BT and want to do all I can to improve. I have been bitten by the Tri bug! I did a Sprint in March ignorant and with very minimal training-basically a couch to Sprint program in a book. But I MADE IT! Now I am doing the Beginner Sprint HR program and loving it! I would like to be on/in this forum to get additional information. Let me know what I have to do. Thanks--- Angie Barnett

All you have to do is post up a short bio to tell us a little about yourself, then join in the conversation or ask any questions you have.  Glad to have you join!

2014-08-09 6:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: Race day update

So my first AG Nationals is in the books.  I'll post more info later, but overall it was a good day.  I set a PR (by over 12 minutes!) and broke under 2:30 which were my two main goals for today.  Overall my Age Group placement wasn't very good, but then I knew the competition was going to be incredible.  

My time was 2:27:06 for 162nd place out of 220.  To give you an idea of how fast this race was, my bike split was 106:46 for a 22.3 mph average over 40k...that was only good enough for 142nd...in the Age Group!   My brother swam a 23:47 1500 meter to average 1:26 per hundred and came out of the water in 83rd place in his age group (35-39).  It was amazing.  

Afterward we stayed and watched the pro super sprint race with some of the top up and coming USAT Jr's as well as top pro Andrew Starykowicz and 2008 Olympian Jarrod Shoemaker.  It was a fast and furious multi-lap race that took place completely on the venue grounds right in front of us.

A great day and one I will not soon forget.  

Edited by Dominion 2014-08-09 6:22 PM
2014-08-09 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4996689

Chris, congrats on the PR! I'd love to go next year, now that it's on my radar I'll make sure I have time off and a place to stay. Excited to hear more. Scott, sorry about the DNS, but glad everyone is okay. I'm sure it will happen to all of us if we race for long enough.

2014-08-09 8:46 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: First DNS
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

First did not start for a triathlon I was signed up for of my young career. ?? long story short, my 2yr old was in the hospital and we're home already and he's fine. Hope everyone else had a great race! I'm bummed but glad my family is healthy once more. Now to train hard for my last tri of the season next month!

Scott

Sorry to hear that, Scott. But like others have said, family comes first. Hope the little one is doing well.
2014-08-09 8:47 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Subject: RE: Race day update
Originally posted by Dominion

So my first AG Nationals is in the books.  I'll post more info later, but overall it was a good day.  I set a PR (by over 12 minutes!) and broke under 2:30 which were my two main goals for today.  Overall my Age Group placement wasn't very good, but then I knew the competition was going to be incredible.  

My time was 2:27:06 for 162nd place out of 220.  To give you an idea of how fast this race was, my bike split was 106:46 for a 22.3 mph average over 40k...that was only good enough for 142nd...in the Age Group!   My brother swam a 23:47 1500 meter to average 1:26 per hundred and came out of the water in 83rd place in his age group (35-39).  It was amazing.  

Afterward we stayed and watched the pro super sprint race with some of the top up and coming USAT Jr's as well as top pro Andrew Starykowicz and 2008 Olympian Jarrod Shoemaker.  It was a fast and furious multi-lap race that took place completely on the venue grounds right in front of us.

Sounds like you had a great performance. Taking 12 minutes off your total time for a new PR must have felt awesome! My race is Sunday morning, start time is 8:30. I'll post my race report some time Sunday night after I'm home.
2014-08-09 9:26 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Race day update

Congrats on a great race
2014-08-11 6:04 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Subject: My first triathlon is in the books!
OK, my first ever triathlon is in the books! Overall, it was a great experience and a lot of fun. My overall time was 1:36:40, which I was very pleased with. I know everyone says your first triathlon should be about finishing and having fun, but I still felt like I could still have fun even if I had a goal time in mind. That goal time was to finish in under 1:40:00. Mission accomplished!

Swim (600 yds): This is the one sport that I thought would be my best and turned out to be my worst. Based on my training, I was hoping for something in the 12:00-12:30 range. That goal was out of reach the moment my face hit the water. I was completely not prepared for the experience. The total storm I dove into was beyond my wildest dreams (or nightmares). Arms, bodies, legs, all thrashing about. Just the bubbles alone were unsettling to me. And I can't believe the waves generated just by people swimming. I tried to get into a decent swim pace, but I think a bit of panic set in. Even just wanting to avoid getting kicked in the face was enough to cause me stress.

I don't think I tried to swim too fast. I really think it was just my chest tightening from the panic or stress of the situation. I felt out of breath after the first 50 yards! I did something I never thought I would possibly do, I actually rolled over to a back stroke to try to catch my breath. But I never did until about the last 75-100 yards. By then, the damage was done. I finished the swim in 14:01, which was 125/155! Argh!

T1: It felt like this went about as smoothly as I had practiced at home. My 3 year old is a big Spider Man fan, so I wore a Spider Man bike jersey for him. I did struggle a little to get the jersey on, but not so much that I felt my T1 time would be quite so bad. Officially, 2:35 for T1.

Bike (14 miles): The bike turned out to be my best sport. Most everything went according to plan. I knew I had a bad swim, so I felt like the bike was my best chance to make that time up. I pushed about as much as I felt I could while saving something for "The Big One", a tough hill I knew was coming at mile 11. I feel like I only made one mistake on the bike, not shifting into a lower gear early enough to take on a hill. I struggled a bit going up in a gear that was too high and then had to spend a little time recovering. My bike time was 49:37, good for 83/155.

I had one near disaster in the dismount area. A woman that had been in front of and to the right of me coming to the dismount area must have become confused and suddenly slowed and steered left directly into my path. I had to swerve left and slam on my brakes to avoid hitting her. I must have hit my front brakes first or harder (or both) because I almost went flying over the handle bars! Luckily, I caught myself, but my rear tire came about 2 feet off the ground and my saddle hit me in the back!

T2: The same woman casually strolled her bike through the transition area, causing me to be slowed down and definitely me off! The transition area was kinda crowded and I had no way to get around her unless I knocked her down. I struggled more than I thought I would getting the bike jersey off an getting my running shirt on. My T2 time was 1:40.

Run: I knew from the clock that I had made up a good chunk of time on the bike and my goal was fairly easily within my reach, but I still wanted to have a good run and meet my goal time of 29:00. About two tenths of a mile into the run my left calf started to cramp. I made a bee line for the nearest tree and spent maybe 30 seconds stretching my calves. I must have done a good job because they didn't bother me again after that.

Only one hill of any size on the run and it was early on. I pretty much kept a pretty good pace and just focused on keeping a consistent effort level on any of the uphill sections and trying to take advantage of the downhills.

As promised, I heard you Chris! When I got to the 2 mile mark of the run, I took mental stock of my legs and felt like they could handle a faster pace. I kicked it up a notch and made a push for the finish! I also knew that the last four tenths or so was all downhill. Even with the time I took to stretch, I finished the run in 28:45 (89/155).

It was a great experience and I'm already looking for a possible 2nd triathlon later this year in September. Overall, I was pleased with my performance, but there were some mistakes and things I can fix. Most of those were little things that are easily fixed, except for the swim. I think the next time I'll just stick to the far outside and avoid the melee. I'd rather swim an extra 25 yards to get around all of that. I'm not sure I could ever get used to that.
2014-08-11 7:41 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: My first triathlon is in the books!
Great job! Glad you had a good experience, and came in under your goal time.

Nate

2014-08-11 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Awesome job!  That is great work!  Well Done Sir!

That swim sounds about right.  There is no way to prepare for an open water swim with people all around you.  It is so different from anything you do in the pool. In time you will get used to it.  It is still a work in progress even for me, but I am starting to enjoy the contact a little and learning that as a fairly big guy, I am able to hold my position in the water and keep others from crowding me or cutting me off.  Every time I gain more confidence in pack swimming.

Good transitions, eventually you will probably want to wear a tri top that you swim, bike, and run in without having to change.  Trust me on this, if you keep racing you will get tired of changing in transition.  

Good bike and  Good run.  Glad you were able to get past the early run cramping issue.  Glad that I was able to put a little voice in your head to push hard to the finish.  

You should definitely do another race this year.  More experience and another good performance can be a great motivator and propel you to bigger and better things next year.

Again, Great job, and glad you enjoyed yourself.

2014-08-12 5:43 PM

User image

Awesome job!  That is great work!  Well Done Sir!

That swim sounds about right.  There is no way to prepare for an open water swim with people all around you.  It is so different from anything you do in the pool. In time you will get used to it.  It is still a work in progress even for me, but I am starting to enjoy the contact a little and learning that as a fairly big guy, I am able to hold my position in the water and keep others from crowding me or cutting me off.  Every time I gain more confidence in pack swimming.

Good transitions, eventually you will probably want to wear a tri top that you swim, bike, and run in without having to change.  Trust me on this, if you keep racing you will get tired of changing in transition.  

Good bike and  Good run.  Glad you were able to get past the early run cramping issue.  Glad that I was able to put a little voice in your head to push hard to the finish.  

You should definitely do another race this year.  More experience and another good performance can be a great motivator and propel you to bigger and better things next year.

Again, Great job, and glad you enjoyed yourself.

I agree on the tri top, Chris. I had actually ordered one from TYR based on their sizing chart. When I got it, I tried to put it on and it was so small that I could barely get the thing over my head! I kid you not. I even had my wife measure my chest before ordering instead of just assuming what size it was. Based on their size chart, I was a large, but I ordered XL anyway. After about 5 minutes of wrangling, I was able to pull it over my body. But it seemed like it was more likely sized right for my 4 year old daughter than it was for me! I can no longer trust any of the size charts for tri clothing. I will have to find a local store where I can try something on to see how it fits before making a purchase.

My training might fall off a little now that football season is here (I play on a rec league team), but I'd still like to do another race just for the experience and worrying a little less about my times. I think it will be especially important to try to do the swim again and even try to stay in the middle of the fray once again just to see how I do.

Do you ever worry about getting kicked in the face? Or is it more likely you'd get hit in the hands/arms? I think that was one of my biggest fears. As I started to swim, I could see the kicking feet practically in my face. And some of these guys were kicking like they were being chased by a shark! I can see it on the video my mom took of the race. There are people kicking so hard that the water is getting splashed 3-4 feet in the air! I know my brother said he got kicked in the nuts! Not sure how that happened, but that's what he told me.
2014-08-12 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I don't know about Tyr, but the 2XU stuff is sized super small too.  You may want to try Desoto.  I love their stuff, it is a cut above.  And it seems to be sized much more normally.  I have an XL Desoto Carrera jersey that is considerably bigger than my XL 2XU.  

As far as the kicking goes, you just have to feel your way through sometimes.  You are right though, usually you will feel their feet with your reach before you are up on them to get kicked in the head or face.  When you feel them, you may have to change course slightly to go around, slow up a little, or try to catch a draft by staying just off the feet.

2014-08-13 8:13 AM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by MMW37 Definitely do it at AGN Chris! Just practice a few more times before you go. Wish I was joining you - the logistics just didn't work this year, since it wasn't even on my radar until the invite came. Next year hopefully I can plan for it! I tried getting out of my shoes on the bike at the end of my last ride - massive fail. Didn't quite wipe out, but could have. I'll keep practicing, but it might not be ready for my race on 8/17. My wetsuit also arrived today, so I need to figure out how to use that in the next week and a half. Good thing I have a pool at my house. I second the foam roller. I got one for some annoying quad pain, and it does a great job. They also have some at my Y by the stretching areas. Good luck to Chris, mtpg, and anyone else who is racing this weekend!!

And oh BTW, I pulled off a flawless flying dismount at Age Group Nationals! 

2014-08-13 4:22 PM
in reply to: #5037599

Chris, congrats on the flying dismount! I've tried to undo the straps on my shoes a few times now, but so far I'm not coordinated enough - I'm used to always keeping my right hand on the handlebars, and I can't figure out how to keep my balance and undo my right shoes, haha. I really need to bike more.

RJ, good job on your race! That's weird about the sizing. I recently ordered some Tyr tri shorts, and I hate them - but because they're so much bigger than any other mediums that I've bought before. To the point that they're obnoxiously baggy and I could never swim in them. So their womens' sizes run large and their men's' small? How annoying.

I tried my wetsuit today too! Ordered an Xterra from their last sale. I'm so tall I needed a men's suit according to their size chart, but it seems to fit okay. Swimming in it was so strange! I just spent 15 min in my backyard pool, and it is SO different than normal. The buoyancy is insane. I couldn't tell if I was any faster with it on (and wasn't timing myself in my weird-shaped pool), but I'm glad I tried it out before race day. I'm hoping I can use it Saturday in the pond at team practice - there have been so many races the last few weeks that it's been cancelled a lot, not sure if we're having it this week or not. Hope so!

in reply to: #5037599

Chris, congrats on the flying dismount! I've tried to undo the straps on my shoes a few times now, but so far I'm not coordinated enough - I'm used to always keeping my right hand on the handlebars, and I can't figure out how to keep my balance and undo my right shoes, haha. I really need to bike more.

RJ, good job on your race! That's weird about the sizing. I recently ordered some Tyr tri shorts, and I hate them - but because they're so much bigger than any other mediums that I've bought before. To the point that they're obnoxiously baggy and I could never swim in them. So their womens' sizes run large and their men's' small? How annoying.

I tried my wetsuit today too! Ordered an Xterra from their last sale. I'm so tall I needed a men's suit according to their size chart, but it seems to fit okay. Swimming in it was so strange! I just spent 15 min in my backyard pool, and it is SO different than normal. The buoyancy is insane. I couldn't tell if I was any faster with it on (and wasn't timing myself in my weird-shaped pool), but I'm glad I tried it out before race day. I'm hoping I can use it Saturday in the pond at team practice - there have been so many races the last few weeks that it's been cancelled a lot, not sure if we're having it this week or not. Hope so!
in reply to: #5039157

Sorry for double post!
2014-08-13 5:37 PM

User image

I don't know about Tyr, but the 2XU stuff is sized super small too.  You may want to try Desoto.  I love their stuff, it is a cut above.  And it seems to be sized much more normally.  I have an XL Desoto Carrera jersey that is considerably bigger than my XL 2XU.  

As far as the kicking goes, you just have to feel your way through sometimes.  You are right though, usually you will feel their feet with your reach before you are up on them to get kicked in the head or face.  When you feel them, you may have to change course slightly to go around, slow up a little, or try to catch a draft by staying just off the feet.

It felt strange because at the time I felt like I was having to slow down to avoid running into the back of the person in front of me. But given the fact that I had to go to a backstroke THREE times to try to catch my breath and I was still only a couple minutes off my training time, maybe my effort level was higher than I perceived it to be. It honestly did not feel like I was going all out and I know I could feel some tightness in my chest from either panic or stress. I guess I'll chock it up to a combination of the two. It is definitely something that would take some getting used to.

I went ahead an ordered an XL from DeSoto. I checked again when I packed for my race and the 2XU I have is an XXL and it's still sorta tight! Let's hope this one fits me better. Their sizing chart says XL is for chest 45-48" and waist 35-41", which puts me right in the middle of those ranges. Who knows? According to my height I should be a M and according to my weight I should be a L. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

So am I crazing for considering a race this coming weekend? I've already done all of the training and I didn't get injured at all during my race. I feel pretty good. Are there any concerns with doing another race so soon?

Edited by rjchilds8 2014-08-13 5:39 PM
2014-08-13 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8

It felt strange because at the time I felt like I was having to slow down to avoid running into the back of the person in front of me. But given the fact that I had to go to a backstroke THREE times to try to catch my breath and I was still only a couple minutes off my training time, maybe my effort level was higher than I perceived it to be. It honestly did not feel like I was going all out and I know I could feel some tightness in my chest from either panic or stress. I guess I'll chock it up to a combination of the two. It is definitely something that would take some getting used to. I went ahead an ordered an XL from DeSoto. I checked again when I packed for my race and the 2XU I have is an XXL and it's still sorta tight! Let's hope this one fits me better. Their sizing chart says XL is for chest 45-48" and waist 35-41", which puts me right in the middle of those ranges. Who knows? According to my height I should be a M and according to my weight I should be a L. I'll keep my fingers crossed! So am I crazing for considering a race this coming weekend? I've already done all of the training and I didn't get injured at all during my race. I feel pretty good. Are there any concerns with doing another race so soon?

I would have no concerns at all.  If you are feeling it, then jump right back in there! 

2014-08-13 10:07 PM

User image

2014-08-14 8:30 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

A friend suggested that perhaps I needed to spend more time on the bike perhaps getting a 30-50 mile ride each week. Saying that improving my bike endurance would improve my run. Background:

My goal is largely sprints. In training I can hold an 8:00-8:30 pace on my training runs and do 7 miles on my long days. This weeks hard workout was a 3 x 1 mile dropping my pace with each that felt pretty good. I haven't ran a straight 5K but I think I could run one at 8 minute pace, if not faster. I try to run 2-3 times a week and have structure workouts for my runs because I have been largely unhappy with my run performance during the tri. Essentially no improvement from March to August on my run leg typically 8:30 to 9 min pace.

My bikes are typically 20 miles now and I neglected it big time in the early parts of this year (60 - 90 miles per month Jan thru May and now 100 - 140 both periods with occasional spin class not included in volume). I don't typically have a workout, I just ride at a predetermined intensity. In short I have not put to much effort into the bike. The triathlons I have ran have had longer and longer bikes (9miles, 14 miles, 12 miles, and 17.5 miles) and my bike speed has increased with each one.

Not much I can do this year, but next year what do you think. Will more time on the bike improve my run? Should I target 50 miles a week? or a 50 mile bike ride a week?

Thanks
2014-08-15 5:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I would advocate trying to get in at least 3 rides a week of 20-25 miles each.  That will give you 60-75 miles per week and should allow your monthly total to be between 200 and 300 depending if you get them all in.  60-90 miles per month is really not much, even 140 for a month is pretty low.  A 20 mile ride should have a fair amount of intensity.  You can push a consistent pace and use HR or a target pace like averaging 18 mph for the entire ride, or you can work in short hard intervals like do  10 X 2:00 hard, followed by 3:00 for recovery.  Mix it up from ride to ride and find what works for you.  Doing this your run might actually get slower before it gets faster, but you will be building bike speed and overall fitness.  Over the off-season it won't matter if your run suffers a little from longer/harder bike sessions, you will come out the other side of it stronger and more fit.

Edit: I don't see any reason to do 50 mile rides for sprint training.  I'm not saying it would hurt, but not necessary IMO.  An occasional 30-35 miler is the most I would do.

Edited by Dominion 2014-08-15 5:49 AM
2014-08-15 5:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

My race report for AG Nationals is now posted on my blog, so if your interested and have a minute check it out.

Thanks!

2014-08-16 9:23 PM

User image

I would advocate trying to get in at least 3 rides a week of 20-25 miles each.  That will give you 60-75 miles per week and should allow your monthly total to be between 200 and 300 depending if you get them all in.  60-90 miles per month is really not much, even 140 for a month is pretty low.  A 20 mile ride should have a fair amount of intensity.  You can push a consistent pace and use HR or a target pace like averaging 18 mph for the entire ride, or you can work in short hard intervals like do  10 X 2:00 hard, followed by 3:00 for recovery.  Mix it up from ride to ride and find what works for you.  Doing this your run might actually get slower before it gets faster, but you will be building bike speed and overall fitness.  Over the off-season it won't matter if your run suffers a little from longer/harder bike sessions, you will come out the other side of it stronger and more fit.

Edit: I don't see any reason to do 50 mile rides for sprint training.  I'm not saying it would hurt, but not necessary IMO.  An occasional 30-35 miler is the most I would do.

Thanks Chris
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43123 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50334 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19382 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?