BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-08-27 12:27 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Quiet

Lord willing I'll be there.  The wife won't let me miss that one.  Jekyll is her favorite race destination!

2014-08-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Subject: RE: Quiet
Well the light week seemed to help a bit and I have gotten a solid swim, bike, and run day in so far this week. Really need to bump my bike upto 2 hours.

Appreciated the talk on the bike trainer. Going to put that on the Christmas list. I have also been thinking of joining the local group maybe doing one or two workouts with them a week.

Nate
2014-08-31 3:57 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Subject: Monthly totals
Numbers up for Swim and bike but soft on the run. Still need to build more bike time

Swim 4h 55m 18s - 14800.00 Yd
BIKE 8h 19m 54s - 159.30 Mi
RUN 7h 12m 41s - 49.87 Mi

Nate
2014-09-01 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Monthly totals

August:

S: 14559 yds

B: 213 miles

R: 46 miles

Swim and bike totals were OK for me this month, but run was down quite a bit.  Some of this is due to my race and travel this month and some due just to feeling like my legs are tired and cutting back on some running to try and be fresh for the late season races.

2014-09-01 4:22 PM
in reply to: #5043927

User image

New user
Watford
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN
I'm back from a couple of weeks' vacation in Spain, so my 'training' consisted of lots of swimming - I manger to do about 750meters nearly every other day.
Strength training - throwing the kids around.
I also made sure my fluid intake was up - Beer, wine and Rum & Coke.

I had hoped to compete in one last race this year, but unfortunately that hasn't happened so I'm now in the 'off-season'.
My next race will be around May.

As part of my off-season I'm going to try and learn to love my bike. It's by far the weakest discipline and I don't really enjoy that aspect of the training, so I plan to do some easy rides to get some miles under me.

The next month or so, will be easy training, then into a three / four month off-season plan to work on technical drills and build a basic fitness then into race build-up for three / four months.

In the last couple of months I've had trouble with my IT Band so I'm going to incorporate some more stretching and self-massage into my routines.

I promise to be more of a contributor in this forum over the next couple of months.

Take care all, and race well.
2014-09-01 8:56 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Monthly totals
For August, I basically did two sprint triathlons and a Tough Mudder, that was about it! LOL In between events, on three consecutive weekends, I did little to no training. Mix in starting to pack up the house to move in less than two weeks and my training has been virtually non-existent. I have done a couple of runs in the last few days, but I'm working to really lower my 5K time. My brother's and I do a 5K together each year and I'm tired of getting beaten by my older brother. I'm targeting a 5K time of 25:30 or less (and hope that's good enough!), so I've got some work to do and only 7 weeks in which to do it. So it's time to get motivated! My September and October totals will be heavily skewed towards running, but I'll still try to work in a bike or swim workout here or there.

2014-09-03 12:20 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
S: 7465 yards open water
B: 78.42 miles
R: 21.62 miles

My numbers are way down this month because my last triathlon was on August 17th, which gave me just a few days for training, and then I had to prepare for Burning Man, which completely ate up an entire week of time. I had planned to continue my training while there, but that didn’t work out so well. Also, most of my shifts this year were in non-patrol capacities, so I didn’t get much bike riding in, other than between camp and the office and the commissary, which was probably no more than 3 to 5 miles a day. Oh, well! It was my vacation, and I had fun.

Yesterday was my first full day back in the default world and I went for a run after work. After 15 days of no training and spending the previous 22 hours sitting in and sleeping in a vehicle, it was tough, and I pushed myself pretty hard, for which I am paying today. I had planned to participate in a triathlon this Saturday but missed the entry deadline, which is probably a good thing, especially considering I’m still exhausted and haven’t unpacked yet. I am not sure if there are any other triathlons in this area this year, so I am looking for 5K runs and bike rides until the snow comes.
2014-09-05 9:17 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

We had baby #3, Kaitlyn Olivia late last night. Everyone is doing well.
2014-09-06 6:24 AM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

We had baby #3, Kaitlyn Olivia late last night. Everyone is doing well.

Congratulations!!
2014-09-06 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Congratulations!

2014-09-06 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Took the Age Group Win today and a 7th overall at the Hot Dam Clark's Hill Olympic distance race.

Time was 2:31:42, but totally flubbed the flying dismount...I mean it was bad.  I'll go into more detail in the official race report.  I have the sprint race tomorrow so it will be a couple days before I get around to updating the blog.  

(I will say I did not crash or anything, but it was a solid dose of humility after the great success I had in Milwaukee when trying it).

2014-09-06 8:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Took the Age Group Win today and a 7th overall at the Hot Dam Clark's Hill Olympic distance race.

Time was 2:31:42, but totally flubbed the flying dismount...I mean it was bad.  I'll go into more detail in the official race report.  I have the sprint race tomorrow so it will be a couple days before I get around to updating the blog.  

(I will say I did not crash or anything, but it was a solid dose of humility after the great success I had in Milwaukee when trying it).

Great job! Flying dismount issues aside, an age group win and 7th overall sounds like a pretty fantastic day to me!
2014-09-08 6:54 AM

User image

New user
Great job with AG win! Looking forward to reading your race reports!

I have 2 Tri's left to my season. One this coming Sunday and another one October 5th. It's a pool swim serpentine style start. Fastest swimmer first. 400m swim, 20k bike, 5k run. I expect to be in the rear of the swim start and hopefully play a some catch up on the bike and run. I have new toy that I'm learning how to use and hoping to race with it Sunday. See the attached pic.

Scott

Attachments
----------------
bike.jpeg (1784KB - 18 downloads)
2014-09-08 7:15 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

CAAD 10 Sweet!!

Looks very sharp.  

I like that Green and White Cannondale color scheme too!

2014-09-08 8:33 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

Great job with AG win! Looking forward to reading your race reports!

I have 2 Tri's left to my season. One this coming Sunday and another one October 5th. It's a pool swim serpentine style start. Fastest swimmer first. 400m swim, 20k bike, 5k run. I expect to be in the rear of the swim start and hopefully play a some catch up on the bike and run. I have new toy that I'm learning how to use and hoping to race with it Sunday. See the attached pic.

Scott

Nice bike. Great matching shoes. Are you going to get a new race kit to match?
2014-09-08 8:35 AM

User image

Congrats on another great race.

2014-09-08 8:55 AM

User image

Decided to invest in a new set of trishorts. My current pair has been doubling as bike shorts but didn't have much of a pad. The new ones will. I was able to go down a size. Also getting some bike cleaning supplies. Hoping my shopping spree will get me a motivation boost to finish out the season.

Self diagnosed myself with Morton neuroma which is limiting my run. May need to forgo the half marathon at the end of the season.

My first 1500m swim coming up. My volume is 4000y a week. Do you thing I should push that volume up or is that okay?
Still need to get my bike volume up. Hoping the new shorts will help. I adjusted by aero bars out and plan on adjusting the seat a little forward to improve the angle.
Need to increase my run volume closer to 6 miles a run but struggling with time and foot pain/numbness.

Nate
2014-09-08 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

How far out is your race?

I think 2 sessions of 2k to 2.5k per week should be plenty.  I see you have done 2000 continuous as well in training, so you should feel fairly well prepared.

2014-09-08 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I've updated my blog with the race reports from this past weekend.  It's a little long as it covers 2 races but it was an interesting (and successful) weekend.  Check it out if you have a chance or are looking for something to read.  Thanks again everyone!

2014-09-10 12:07 PM
in reply to: #5045752

User image

Great reports. Impressed at how aware you are during your races about place and gap. Especially with transitions. Flying dismount didn't sound that bad. I was expecting to read about a gnarly wipe out or crashing into a spectator. Great job
2014-09-10 5:35 PM

User image

I've updated my blog with the race reports from this past weekend.  It's a little long as it covers 2 races but it was an interesting (and successful) weekend.  Check it out if you have a chance or are looking for something to read.  Thanks again everyone!

Great job on your races! I'm extremely jealous of your pace on all 3 sports!

I've got a lot going on right now, but I'm really trying to get my run time down for a 5K I run each year with my brothers. My older brother has owned bragging rights every year that we've done it so I've cast aside all other training to focus only on my running for the next 5+ weeks. I've been able to get my 5K time down as low as 26:42 so far. My goal is 25:30, but I'm not sure I've got quite enough time to get there. I'm going to give it my all and see where I end up. I'm hoping 25:30 will be good enough for the Childs family win. And, yes, there's even a trophy (the CBF Cup)! LOL

2014-09-10 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin Great reports. Impressed at how aware you are during your races about place and gap. Especially with transitions. Flying dismount didn't sound that bad. I was expecting to read about a gnarly wipe out or crashing into a spectator. Great job

Thanks Nate!

Nope, no wipe out, just very embarrassing having to stop and jump off 30 yards short of the dismount and run with the bike that far as one guy blows past me actually riding all the way up to the dismount line like you are supposed to.

As far as knowing my place in T1, that is something I wasn't aware of at the time, but only after the fact when looking at the splits.  I was 5 seconds back crossing the mat for my swim time and 10 seconds faster in T1 so that means I crossed the mat heading out of T1 5 seconds ahead.  I never got passed on the bike, so that was "all she wrote".

As for the Sprint race, the only reason I knew my position during the race is that I had my wife spotting for me.  As I ran past her into T1 she told me I was in 4th in the AG.  I could see one of the guys right in front of me and I knew I got out of T1 ahead of him so I was in 3rd.  The guy I passed in the first quarter mile of the run was someone I am familiar with and have raced several times this year, so I figured that pass was for second.  I didn't know for sure if it was for first or second.  I was hoping that I had passed someone in my AG on the bike and just missed noticing it, meaning the pass on the run would have been for 1st, but no such luck.  

2014-09-10 7:27 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8

Great job on your races! I'm extremely jealous of your pace on all 3 sports! I've got a lot going on right now, but I'm really trying to get my run time down for a 5K I run each year with my brothers. My older brother has owned bragging rights every year that we've done it so I've cast aside all other training to focus only on my running for the next 5+ weeks. I've been able to get my 5K time down as low as 26:42 so far. My goal is 25:30, but I'm not sure I've got quite enough time to get there. I'm going to give it my all and see where I end up. I'm hoping 25:30 will be good enough for the Childs family win. And, yes, there's even a trophy (the CBF Cup)! LOL

Thanks Randy!

Good luck in you Childs family showdown!  I know all about that brotherly rivalry thing!

2014-09-13 5:10 PM
in reply to: #5048691

User image

Was on the USAT site the other day. If you have a usat number you are ranked. Kinda neat.
2014-09-13 7:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Yeah, I just checked mine.  Pretty cool.  I'm ranked 807th nationally, 89th in the Southeast Region  and 39th in the state.

Edit: that is in the AG of course, not overall

Edited by Dominion 2014-09-13 7:59 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43151 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50381 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19403 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?