BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-07-30 7:16 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I'm "visiting" discount gear sites and race sites.

Kingsley is gonna kill me. Less than 8hrs since we parted and ...

That's OK.  My "finger slipped" and I "accidentally" ordered something while looking at something for Stacey.  At least that's my story.  It's all Stacey's fault!

2014-07-30 7:16 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by JJ- Had no clue how addicted I was to Strava until the site goes down. I was about to go for a run but if Strava isn't working it's not worth it. Back to bed!!

Too Funny! It is pretty much like "training crack". I walked with TW this morning and had to have my GPS on so that I can upload later today.

I admit it, I need help.

2014-07-30 7:20 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JJ- Had no clue how addicted I was to Strava until the site goes down. I was about to go for a run but if Strava isn't working it's not worth it. Back to bed!!

Another site I've been on would be down from time to time, but would put up a message. "Why don't you go for a run and come back later?"

2014-07-30 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JJ-
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by JJ- I bought a Garmin 500 earlier this year to compliment my 910. I just couldn't justify the added cost vs features of the 510. The 500 is cheap and does just fine

Question... do you have to also have the 910, or can you just use the 500 as a stand-alone bike computer?  I certainly like the price of the 500 better than the 510!!  

Each system can act as a standalone unit.  Both the 910XT and the 500/510 talk to the same heart rate strap.

Exactly. They share everything that is ANT I just like having a dedicated bike computer so I don't have to look at my wrist and I don't or will ever use the quick release. For a bike computer I believe the 500 is better for the money than the 510. At least when I did my research.

I think that both Fatty and DC Rainmaker agree, however, both are good choices.  It's kinda splitting hairs to pick between them.

Play with the DCR comparison tool and see what you come up with.

2014-07-30 7:28 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This is too cool. Now to go buy lottery tickets so I have unlimited funds at my disposal.

2014-07-30 7:30 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JJ-

Originally posted by JJ- I bought a Garmin 500 earlier this year to compliment my 910. I just couldn't justify the added cost vs features of the 510. The 500 is cheap and does just fine

Question... do you have to also have the 910, or can you just use the 500 as a stand-alone bike computer?  I certainly like the price of the 500 better than the 510!!  

Each system can act as a standalone unit.  Both the 910XT and the 500/510 talk to the same heart rate strap.

Exactly. They share everything that is ANT I just like having a dedicated bike computer so I don't have to look at my wrist and I don't or will ever use the quick release. For a bike computer I believe the 500 is better for the money than the 510. At least when I did my research.

And more specifically, it's the HR strap and sensors that do all the talking. They'll talk to anything and everything within range. The watches and head units just listen. They need to be told what to listen to (the "pairing" when you first get it), then they'll know which talk to listen to even when lots of others try to join in on the conversation.

Some of older Polar stuff did not have this pairing (they've had this for the last few years though). It was great for equipment like treadmills and some exercise bikes as you could just walk up and go at it. The downside was that the neighbor treadmills could also see it, and this would confuse the daylights out of whoever was using those ones. They could get especially worried if I was doing a stronger tempo or interval.

2014-07-30 7:36 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JJ-

I think that both Fatty and DC Rainmaker agree, however, both are good choices.  It's kinda splitting hairs to pick between them.

I remember thinking that as well when the 510 first came out. Couldn't really see what big advantages it had over the 500. Granted I didn't use either and was looking at the 800 series anyway. I wanted the mapping and bigger display. Phone comes with too, but stays safely tucked away unless I really need it. I've actually downgraded on watches once the 310 died awhile back. Have always wanted the dedicated bike computer and the smaller, lighter watch has been nicer on the runs.

2014-07-30 8:01 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

This is too cool. Now to go buy lottery tickets so I have unlimited funds at my disposal.

Hey, now you're stealing my plan for financial independence!

2014-07-30 8:24 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Hey, now you're stealing my plan for financial independence!

I hope we both have good luck and a better fall back plan.

2014-07-30 8:53 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Strava is back!!! All is well Life can resume!
2014-07-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by StaceyK For all you gadget guys I have a question. It looks like I am in the market for a new bike computer because I finally liberated and replaced the battery from the rear wheel sensor on my bike, but it is still not working. That means no speed and distance info (on the trainer where I do most of my riding), I still have cadence but because of the no speed and distance part the computer screen keeps going into sleep mode. So I am a gadget dunce. I know how to turn my computer on and do what I need to do and that is about it.

Now that I think about it, what might be going on here with the wireless system is that it hasn't been synced, or has been synced incorrectly once the battery was replaced.

I recently replaced the battery in my Cateye speed/cadence sensor, and the head unit wasn't picking up any signal from it.  I thought I was syncing it correctly, but I really wasn't.  So I humbly took it in to the bike shop and asked them to make it work.  The bike mechanic took care of it real quick without rubbing in the fact that I was a n00b.

thanks for this idea Tom. I googled it and it turns out the little battery connector wasn't connecting, a slight little adjustment to this and my rear sensor is now working again and so no need to buy a new one. Cool just saved $100+ towards a new bike! only $2,500 to go

2014-07-30 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

That's OK.  My "finger slipped" and I "accidentally" ordered something while looking at something for Stacey.  At least that's my story.  It's all Stacey's fault!

well at least tell me what I'm responsible for you buying!
2014-07-30 9:43 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

well at least tell me what I'm responsible for you buying!

ALL WILL BE REVEALED IN THE BRAND SPANKIN' NEW MANATEES PART 2 THREAD:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=520854&page=1&posts=1#M5032558

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.