BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-07-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Afternoon, Manatees  My neck of the woods is gearing up for 110*+ over the next couple of days. Oh yeah...summer is in full swing.

J and I did over half the IMAZ bike course on Sunday morning (doubled up on the Beeline section), but he was having some issues on the second loop. Not sure if it was fuel/hydration/sleep. I, on the other hand, felt great!

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon driving/waiting while J worked on getting this new addition to our wheeled fleet.

Hope you've rubbed that in a few times 

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

I'm feeling oppressed by the upper 90's we have on tap this week.  Can't even imagine 110*+.  But heck, it's a dry heat, right???

2014-07-22 4:08 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Afternoon, Manatees  My neck of the woods is gearing up for 110*+ over the next couple of days. Oh yeah...summer is in full swing.

J and I did over half the IMAZ bike course on Sunday morning (doubled up on the Beeline section), but he was having some issues on the second loop. Not sure if it was fuel/hydration/sleep. I, on the other hand, felt great!

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon driving/waiting while J worked on getting this new addition to our wheeled fleet.

SaWEET!!!!!!!!!! A guy I work with (DH's bro-mance) recently got a Ducati. DH now has more reason to be jealous.

I think we're coming out for IMAZ. My coach is doing it as well. So I have to decide between now and then if I want to commit to doing it next year

2014-07-22 5:02 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Originally posted by cdban66

Hidee-ho there, Pod! How are all the racing Manatees doing?

Melanie seemed to have a good morning

Race was not what I wanted, but what I expected. Swam worth crud, biked well, ran worse than crud. Not whining or complaining, that is just how it is right now. Then pulled a hamstring at the company softball game.  I have a LOT of work to do by the end of August.

While it does sound cruddy, silver lining is that hammy waited til after race
2014-07-22 5:28 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Originally posted by laffinrock

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

I'm feeling oppressed by the upper 90's we have on tap this week.  Can't even imagine 110*+.  But heck, it's a dry heat, right???

Dry heat, yes. Well, I'm going to test the "bake a cookie" theory this afternoon. Will let you know :D
2014-07-22 5:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

Dry heat, yes. Well, I'm going to test the "bake a cookie" theory this afternoon. Will let you know :D

pictures of that please!

2014-07-22 5:45 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

pictures of that please!

Is this yet another euthanism to add to the manatee vocabulary list?

2014-07-22 5:51 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

pictures of that please!

oops, I assumed it was the Arizona version of it being so hot you can"fry an egg" on the sidewalk.  If not, I've asked for a picture of something I may not want

2014-07-22 6:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

pictures of that please!

that's what I was wondering. Chris you might need to sharpen your pencil ready to add a new phrase to our dictionary.
2014-07-22 6:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

pictures of that please!

oops, I assumed it was the Arizona version of it being so hot you can"fry an egg" on the sidewalk.  If not, I've asked for a picture of something I may not want

I don't know if euthanism or euphemism was actually intended here? 

2014-07-22 6:21 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by brigby1

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

pictures of that please!

ha, ha!

2014-07-22 6:27 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

pictures of that please!

ha, ha!

Too funny

2014-07-22 6:30 PM

User image

Master

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

pictures of that please!

ha, ha!

Too funny
in this case either may work? :P
2014-07-22 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Question: how often should one replace their bike tires?  I'm not talking about wheels, but the rubber.  I still have my originals, and I think it MUST be time for me to switch them out, I would guess.

2014-07-22 8:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Question: how often should one replace their bike tires?  I'm not talking about wheels, but the rubber.  I still have my originals, and I think it MUST be time for me to switch them out, I would guess.

Which tires do you have? How many miles on road/trainer? Road surface?

We just took off my Vittoria Rubino Pros after 1000mi on road (mostly chipseal) and over a year on the trainer (countless miles!). Only reason was because of the uneven wear pattern.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-07-22 9:25 PM
2014-07-22 9:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Originally posted by rrrunner

SaWEET!!!!!!!!!! A guy I work with (DH's bro-mance) recently got a Ducati. DH now has more reason to be jealous.

I think we're coming out for IMAZ. My coach is doing it as well. So I have to decide between now and then if I want to commit to doing it next year

Are they going to bro movies and bro dinners? We chose this sport touring Duc because it was a GREAT deal and it is a comfy 2person ride. Oh yeah! Let us know as it gets closer and we can plan something!
2014-07-23 6:21 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I usually end up changing mine for a puncture or some other catastrophe before wear and tear. Look at the tire, is it wearing evenly?

Ok so last night at my weekly off road tri, I saw a bear. Not just a hairy guy without a shirt on - because we have those too but a BEAR. He was walking along the side of the trail. He did not care about me or anyone else. My garmin data shows a spike in speed at that point! I caught up to the guy in front of me "DID YOU SEE THE BEAR?" LOL it was neat and scary at the same time!

2014-07-23 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

We just took off my Vittoria Rubino Pros after 1000mi on road (mostly chipseal) and over a year on the trainer (countless miles!). Only reason was because of the uneven wear pattern.

The tires are Continental something-or-others that came with my bike.  I have to have over 3k mi on them by now.  About half and half trainer/bike trails.  They don't look like they are wearing unevenly, and I haven't had any punctures, but they have to be wearing down, right?  The only thing that looks odd about them is that they have the frequently-used-on-the-trainer flat spot on the rear tire.

2014-07-23 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Tom, some tires come with a wear indicator, generally a small spot on the tire that looks like a hole. When it disappears, the tire is done.

If yours don't have that, then I would base it on how they look. Different road conditions will affect them all differently, so it really comes down to the eye test for me. I have 4 sets of tires sitting around for my 2 road bikes, in case I need to change them. And I pretty much love my Gatorskins for the roads I ride on. 

I'd say buy now if you are wondering, that way you are covered, no matter what. And you could have dedicated trainer tires that way as well.

2014-07-23 8:34 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

The only thing that looks odd about them is that they have the frequently-used-on-the-trainer flat spot on the rear tire.

Yep, change 'em. But keep them for use on the trainer and keep your new tires for the road (if you can).
2014-07-23 8:37 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Tom, some tires come with a wear indicator, generally a small spot on the tire that looks like a hole. When it disappears, the tire is done.

If yours don't have that, then I would base it on how they look. Different road conditions will affect them all differently, so it really comes down to the eye test for me. I have 4 sets of tires sitting around for my 2 road bikes, in case I need to change them. And I pretty much love my Gatorskins for the roads I ride on. 

I'd say buy now if you are wondering, that way you are covered, no matter what. And you could have dedicated trainer tires that way as well.

Yeah, wear indicators can be rather helpful in this, at least in regards to the amount of rubber left. They tend to look a bit too perfect to be some sort of gauge. Do check for other signs that the tire is beaten up though. Also helpful is the worn in flat section if wear indicators are not there. As you can see, these tires can still go farther, but probably not bad to have a replacement on hand soon. Something I should do with the training tires, Gatorskins. I can't find wear indicators on either, but the front is similar to the photo while the rear is wider.

Something else to consider is if you have a dedicated race set. I've used an Attack/Force. They do have the wear indicators and are well short of them, but they also lose some of their rolling resistance advantage before being really worn down. I figured a couple hundred miles of racing was ok. So they still have a lot of wear left in them, they're just not as fast as before.

2014-07-23 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

pictures of that please!

Nope, it's actually baking of cookies:  http://www.wikihow.com/Bake-Cookies-on-Your-Car-Dashboard

2014-07-23 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

When the wear bead says to.  It really depends on the tire and if you use it only outside or also use the same tire on the trainer.  GP4000s have been lasting me 5000-10000 miles outside.

2014-07-23 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Some people rotate their tires.  By swapping the front/rear tire they get extra wear of of them.

2014-07-23 9:46 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Nice addition!!

Sweet bike and workout!! 

pictures of that please!

ha, ha!

Too funny
in this case either may work? :P

Speaking of typos... http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2014/7/22/what-the-l.html

2014-07-23 10:14 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Some people rotate their tires.  By swapping the front/rear tire they get extra wear of of them.

More specifically, I think it tends to be move the front to rear and replace the front. The rear wears more, but the front is much worse to get a flat on so tend to want the best tire up there.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.