General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim CSS and tempo trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-17 10:01 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Swim CSS and tempo trainer
I decided to take a more structured approach to my swim training and I took the swim smooth CSS test (400yd tt, rest and 200yd tt). I bought a finis tempo trainer and dialed it in to my CSS tempo in mode 3 @ 28. While it made me more mindful of my stroke rate and helped me from going out way too fast, I found it nearly impossible to keep my stroke rate that slow. Is it just a matter of getting used to a longer glide? Or does anyone else have a similar experience or advice?

B

2014-05-17 4:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Swim CSS and tempo trainer
Originally posted by swimbikerun81

I decided to take a more structured approach to my swim training and I took the swim smooth CSS test (400yd tt, rest and 200yd tt). I bought a finis tempo trainer and dialed it in to my CSS tempo in mode 3 @ 28. While it made me more mindful of my stroke rate and helped me from going out way too fast, I found it nearly impossible to keep my stroke rate that slow. Is it just a matter of getting used to a longer glide? Or does anyone else have a similar experience or advice?

B

I don't think you're using it correctly ... typically SS suggests setting the tempo trainer to # of seconds per length...but there is no way to determine stroke rate from the CSS test data, execpt with a lot of approximations or direct measurement...which they don't really teach or advocate.

What did you do with the data from your CSS test? Are you trying to swim 28 strokes per minute? or 28 cycles per minute?

Total Immersion uses the Tempo trainer in a different way that SS typically does, but whatever way you choose, you should not be experiencing as much dissonance as you are describing. The SS tempo trainer setting of seconds per length has no bearing on your tempo...and hence you can use as much or as little glide as you like.

Edited by AdventureBear 2014-05-17 4:55 PM
2014-05-19 4:15 PM
in reply to: swimbikerun81

User image

I use my tempo trainer for time per length and not stroke rate.

I actually set the device to beep twice per length.  So it should beep at the half way mark and right when I turn.  I kind of like having that middle beep to help me keep on track so I can adjust sooner and not get too far ahead/behind by the time I hit the wall.

2014-05-20 8:00 AM
in reply to: swimbikerun81

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
hey buddy

having watched you swim in the lane next door, I can say your turnover is too quick for your stroke. What a slower turnover will teach you (eventually!) is a more effective catch, which because you're pushing more water will slow your stroke rate down. As you adapt and get stronger with a more effective catch and pull, you can increase your turnover again. I highly highly recommend you work with paddles to find the catch a little better, and also work on your total body roll a bit more - you're a little too much driven by your shoulders, and not enough by your hips. Let me know if you want to meet at the pool one of these nights soon (I had to switch to post 8pm swims which is why I haven't run into you lately!) and I can take some video for you so you can see it better yourself.

2014-05-30 1:44 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

New user
Thanks to all for the responses!

First of all - turns out I was completely using the trainer in the wrong mode. Should have been mode 2 (28 seconds per beep)...i.e. I should touching the wall of the 25 yd pool every 28 seconds to maintain my CSS pace. Not beep 28 times per minute. D'oh! Lesson learned.

@ Fisherman - Thanks and I will definitely take you up on your offer. I feel that swimming with the tempo trainer has already forced me to slow my turnover down as now I'm swimming at a more consistent pace throughout my whole swim (instead of starting out way too fast and then slowing down drastically as the swim progresses).

2014-05-30 4:32 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Franklin, TN

Originally posted by fisherman76 hey buddy having watched you swim in the lane next door, I can say your turnover is too quick for your stroke. What a slower turnover will teach you (eventually!) is a more effective catch, which because you're pushing more water will slow your stroke rate down. As you adapt and get stronger with a more effective catch and pull, you can increase your turnover again. I highly highly recommend you work with paddles to find the catch a little better, and also work on your total body roll a bit more - you're a little too much driven by your shoulders, and not enough by your hips. Let me know if you want to meet at the pool one of these nights soon (I had to switch to post 8pm swims which is why I haven't run into you lately!) and I can take some video for you so you can see it better yourself.

He might want to start by getting a baseline of how many strokes it takes to complete a length.  One of the drills we do in class is to establish a baseline per 25 over 100 yards.  Let's say it's 20 strokes.  We then do a sets of 4x25 dropping 1 stroke per 25.  For example, my next 4 25's would be at 19 strokes, then 4 at 18 strokes, etc...  We usually do 4 rounds of this.  Some of the things you learn doing this type of drill...1. stream-lining is very important...less drag = farther per stroke  2. you need to finish your stroke all the way to the hip 3. a somewhat effective kick helps and 4. a good push off the wall helps.

If you're using the TT in mode 1 (to help increase your stroke rate) you need to be mindful of not shortening your stroke to hit the higher stroke rates.  Shortening your stroke will defeat the benefit of stroking at a higher cadence.

Here's the women's 800 in London where Katie Ledecky won gold.  Look at how they all finish their strokes at the hip while maintaining a pretty high cadence...that's what you and I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHbNKX3VkIM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim CSS and tempo trainer Rss Feed