BT Mentor Program 2014 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 29

2014-11-19 12:34 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Mini Steve made an appearance this morning. For those who aren't aware of mini Steve; picture a cartoon with the angel on 1 shoulder and the devil on the other shoulder....that's what mini Steve is for me. Today, mini Steve asked me when I've had a recovery week from my build that I've been doing for running....as usual, I had no answer for him. So, my planned 14 miler turned into another 6 miler so I could tell him that "yes, I now have a recovery week....even if it is once every 7 weeks instead of 4" If you hang around long enough, you to will have Steve's training philosophies and expectations creep into your mind when you aren't following his guidelines.

Today's run was an important one for me. It was the first really cold day outside (wind chill in the teens) and I had planned to run. Some of my issues last year were because I didn't want to run out in the cold....also fear of the ice causing me to slip and re injure my achilles...but weather was a factor. So, I made sure I got out there with my winter gear and did some miles.

Basketball practice number 2 for my kiddos tonight. Hopefully, I can keep them focused on us for one more practice....I want 2 solid days of fundamentals before we start scrimmaging other teams.

2014-11-19 6:53 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by medeiros13

Mini Steve made an appearance this morning. For those who aren't aware of mini Steve; picture a cartoon with the angel on 1 shoulder and the devil on the other shoulder....that's what mini Steve is for me. Today, mini Steve asked me when I've had a recovery week from my build that I've been doing for running....as usual, I had no answer for him. So, my planned 14 miler turned into another 6 miler so I could tell him that "yes, I now have a recovery week....even if it is once every 7 weeks instead of 4" If you hang around long enough, you to will have Steve's training philosophies and expectations creep into your mind when you aren't following his guidelines.

Priceless!!!
2014-11-20 5:00 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Gold member
Jay, you make me so proud. I am going to have to adopt you and start sending out Birthday cards. If only wish my own kids learned life's lessons so quickly. For the older than 40 crew it is a recovery week every 3 weeks, for the young folks it is every 4th week.

For me I have a windproof shell, some lite gloves and a hat that can be extended over my ears or turned up as I get warmed up. That gets me down to around 0 F. In the -15 to -6 range I have a Baclava (spelling?) thingy you put over your head that has an opening for your eyes, nose and mouth. We don't get sub -15F here, but if we did I would just swap out a warmer jacket and add my Smartwool socks. If itis snowy I try to avoid hills and do more gravel than pavement for running.
2014-11-22 7:52 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Silver member
Mini Steve -- love it!! You are making some awesome progress, Jay. Sign up for Patriot yet?

I've realized I need some sort of carrot to get me moving & motivated, so I'm signed up for a half mary in March. It will be a 'just finish' race, but gives me something to aim for, so I'm looking forward to it.

My winter running gear has enough things for pretty much any occasion down to about -20. Beyond that I'd probably just bike inside instead . I think its 'balaclava' for the hood/face cover thing. Baklava is a Greek food, I think.

Family brag bit -- my niece is a freshman and swims for Division 1 University of Massachusetts put up a 5:01 500 meter time yesterday at her first college meet. She placed 4th, and was second fastest swimmer on her team for the meet. Another day of it today, but a 5:01 is just incomprehensible to me. This is also the same niece who has had the overall fastest swim split at our local tri the past 3 years. She must have gills. I'm going to see her over Thanksgiving, and will get a couple swim lessons!
2014-11-23 4:29 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Love the mini Steve!!! Jay, you are funny! But it is surprising how Steve's voice can get in our heads.

Ok, you guys, I don't know what I think about people saying the "Pam route". I'm partly insulted. And then the other part of me feels like a bad - which a good thing.

I went on a Pam route yesterday. I'll pretend that I was slow because of the hills. It was a maudlin day. There has been a lot of tragedy affecting people near me and I was feeling it yesterday.

Today was a pre-Turkey Trot warmup day for us. A small 5.5K run. Someone introduced me to a woman as I walked up and said she was looking for someone to run with. So I took it to mean that she was nervous so I yak-ed to her the whole race. Not hard for me to ever do.

My area has been hit with tragedy recently. The shooting at FSU on Thursday morn and then a horrible incident yesterday. Don't know the details of the one yesterday but it sounds like it was totally deliberate and mean (not due to mental illness like the FSU one). I have 4 friends that work with the Sheriff's Dept and thankfully the fatality wasn't one of them but still, I hurt. And I'm afraid things can get real bad soon. All I can think is that if I'm hurting this bad, what does God feel right now?
New Thread
BT Mentor Program 2014 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 5 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 2 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 5 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Huntersville-Concord Mentor Group - OPEN

Started by wsandford
Views: 17 Posts: 1

2014-01-13 2:24 PM wsandford
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2014
author : Ron
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2014? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.