BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-09-02 7:00 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
@Steve

Great pictures i pray for a better weather than last year for IMLT. Cant do anything with the elevation this year is going to be epic again , there are rumors if IMLT does not sell this year this maybe the last 140.6 .

@Isabelle
Congrats on your solid sprint, a good race to end your season.

@ Dennis
15mph on the hybrid is very good you'll surprise yourself on a TriBike, your looking good.

@Linda
your a machine on two legs 70 mpw , looks like your headed to another BQ next year.

@Pam
I admire your endurance under the heat we are under. I know Tx and Fl are not too far apart under the scorching heat.

@Carol
Hope you enjoy Cali in spite of the earthquake.

@MikeD
I am glad your running again.

@Phil and Joe
Goodluck!!! and Godbless!!! this week on your HIM.

Summer will be over soon cant wait!!!

Happy Training!!!

Carl

2014-09-02 11:38 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It looks like IMLT has 1000 fewer people signed up this year than last (1800 as compared with 2800). They are adding a HIM at the same time though. Weather could still kill a HIM even if they started it 2 hours later, or it could be beautiful, too bad they can't hold the race 3 weeks sooner in the year.
2014-09-03 12:35 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Tuesday - 3.4 mile run @ 12:31/mi. - in the grand scheme of things..  slow - for me - pretty quick!  PR on 5K... 

Today - off - for now, who knows what later will bring.

Have a great day all!

-Dennis

2014-09-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Steve -- didn't realize (Forgot?) we had the same bike. Yours seems to be faster though. Hmmm...

Isabelle -- My weekly volume is still somewhat low as I'm using a "Couch to 10K" plan Carol sent me. When I finish, I'll be doing 18 mpw or so, and then I'll continue to build on that to the HM. The half won't be speedy or even pretty, chances are, but its the goal I have out there to keep my motivation up.
2014-09-04 6:31 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

Blairstown, NJ
Mike - I don't know much but I know there are some gifted runners and I am not one. Good luck on your run plan. When I run focussed last year it helped a lot on the half. Sounds like you are making good progress.

Carol - Hope to hear from you soon and hear about that vacca. It really rocked...

Dennis - Glad you have found a balance with all that medical stuff. You are an inspiration.

Carl - Nice work. You will do fine on the IM.

Pam - So glad you got some answers, that is often half the battle.

Isabella - Congrats on the race. That is a very nice time.

Linda - Very nice run total. Really remarkable. Any suggestions you could pass on?

Steve - You have come a long way since the injury and surgery . We all know you got this. Happy taper.

Phil - Good luck Saturday!

It has been a busy week. Daughter started school, I have some home project I have been working on, as I visualize the race there was some more gear for the bike I added. I took the week off to get rested and ready instead I have been up early with my wife leaving earlier for OT at work, driving y daughter to and from the bus stop, grocery shopping, etc. Well I am as ready as I will be and just hope I can get a bit more sleep. The bike ride Monday was good, the swim tuesday was a bit of a mess (just never felt very comfortable), You know what they say.... Smile and wave boy... Smile and wave.
Totals : Swim 45min 1750 yards, Bike 14hr3min16sec 199.64 miles, Run 11hr37min56sec 57.79 Think this is my highest monthly total so i am ready to give it a go!
2014-09-04 9:02 AM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Alright, my totals:

Swim: 2:05, 4.47 mi.
Bike: 8:51, 130 mi.
Run: 9:42, 55 mi.

Lower than I'd liked, but I was vacationing for a bit (didn't have access to a pool in Montana), and I had THREE weddings to attend this month. I try not to let em get in my way but it's inevitable. The other stuff:

Soccer: 2:15 (only 2 soccer matches this month. weird!)
Dragonboat: 2:46 (my team swept the gold medals, btw!)
Whitewater rafting: 1:30 (in Montana, amazing!)
Hiking: 1:28 (super easy MT trail)

Overall, almost 28 hours of activity. A step down from last month but I think I'm on track for an adequate HIM. This week I started off with an 8-mi. hike on Mon, about 5 mi. run on Tues, hour on the bike, and 20 min run yesterday. I'll do an easy swim tonight, take a rest day Fri, and on Saturday it's showtime.

Joe, good luck with your HIM too!

Welcome, Nina

All others, great job with the training, and keep me inspired!

2014-09-04 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Hi All,

I dissapeared for a while, was couple of important things incl. very busy at work, have couple of new contracts and had to get 3more painters, train them etc, but all good , good training for my first Oly and was abit tired as well especially in the peak phase.

my August totals:
running: 8h43m - 76km
cycling: 13h10min - 361km
swimming: alot especially OWS bit dont have them all tracked
core+strenght training: 8hours (sessions with personal trainer)

So, im having my first Oly this Saturday, feeling good and prepared, hoping for under 3h20min (30min swim, 5min transition, 1h.30m cycle, 5min trandition, 1h10m run).
fingers crossed
2014-09-04 11:01 AM
in reply to: drtroll

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey y'all, I'm back! Vacation was incredible...earthquakes, walking the city, wine tasting in Sonoma, beach bumming in Santa Cruz, redwoods oogling, cycling, whale watching...from beach cruiser bikes...what a treat! Definitely felt the 6.0 quake at 3 something am the first night, but no real damage in the city.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1038...

Glad to see everyone doing so well here. Some race excitement going on for a few of you .

Dennis, I feel for you on the chronic nature of your immune system treatments. Having had Type 1 diabetes for over 20 years, I'm a "lifer" on insulin. There is no "fixing it" or "getting over it", just as there is not for you. But there is a good life ahead living well with it. Accepting and acknowledging that it adds some complexities for the rest of your life is a very difficult thing. But it opened me up to others in new ways, and for that I am grateful.
2014-09-05 11:16 AM

User image

New user
Just wanted to wish good luck to all those racing this weekend, I think DrTroll, Phil, Joe, Carl... Anyone else?

Have fun and push hard!!!

2014-09-05 12:24 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by isabella969

Just wanted to wish good luck to all those racing this weekend, I think DrTroll, Phil, Joe, Carl... Anyone else?

Have fun and push hard!!!

I want to add my best wishes to all of the racers!!! Hope you have great races.
2014-09-05 11:01 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Go team get er done!

2014-09-06 6:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Good luck to all the peeps with races this weekend! I hope you all have perfect weather and perform to your best!

There are a number of positives going on quietly with me. Kiley has now started her PhD class which means I have evenings to myself because she's reading/studying. The pool opens next week so I think I'll be spending a number of evenings at the YMCA. Also, with my sons soccer season starting, I have time to do a few miles around his field while he practices...and I'm taking full advantage. I'm really trying to be slow and steady this time and so far so good. I've been doing between 2-4 miles at a time. I ran 2 yesterday and 2.5 today and I cracked a sub 9 for the first time since I ruptured my achilles. That was my pace pre surgery and thats where I need to be psychologically to keep running. My next decision is tomorrow; there's an 8K road race that is sponsored by my favorite charity (Gwendolyn Strong foundation which helps find a cure for SMA) I can easily donate money to someone who's doing an ultramarathon for the charity next weekend and stay on my slow/steady. I planned on trying to do a 5-6 mile run anyway but my gut instinct is saying run by myself.

I did some self reflection as to what happened to me with my triathlon training and the truth is I got caught up in lifting again. I don't feel bad about that because I helped Kiley get committed to the gym and I really like lifting. I'm hoping that as I starting doing more tri training that I can find a way to lift 2-3 times a week so it doesn't have to be all cardio or all lifting.

No news on my MIL which is good news. Its going to be a situation where its goes from 0-60 because my MIL is stubborn as heck. She won't seek medical attention until she feels like she's on her deathbed.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
2014-09-06 6:13 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
This morn, had a 9:30 appt so needed to get my 3 hour run in before dawn. Only 1/2 mile in, I misjudged myself on the dark road, hit the side of the road, and fell into the ditch. (Dang, I bet it was funny if anyone could have seen it.) Tried to shake it off but I hurt. Limped home, cleaned wounds, popped Advil, and crawled back in bed pissed. I was lucky and I know it. This afternoon went back out to keep myself from tightening up. Sprinkling when I left but then poured later. Managed a few miles but got to figure out a way to get my long run. Think I'll forego early church and instead do late church so I can run tomorrow morn. Hopefully the rain will keep the temps lower tomorrow morn.

Jay, good to hear back from you. Don't apologize because your love is lifting and sometimes we have to treat ourselves to what makes us happy. I'm continually beating myself up for not working on the swimming and biking but, although swimming is Happy for me, swim training for a tri isn't it. And then biking is definitely something I haven't embraced yet - just endured. Wish I could but then with RL, I gravitate back to my happy of running.

Can't wait to hear how everyone's races went this weekend! Wish all the best!
2014-09-06 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Pam I admire your dedication to get your run in. I am sorry you fell, but glad you are ok. That is very scary. I run in the dark every weekday morning and I worry about getting hurt. I agree with you that if I want to run and lift weights then that is what I should do. The main idea is to be healthy and active. Swimming or biking can be part of a workout program if that is what makes us happy. Right now I like to lift and run : )
I hope our racers are all having a great racing weekend!!
2014-09-06 10:27 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jay, it is your life, so you pick the balance you want.

Dang careful with that morning running, do you use a headlamp? Get well. What are you training for with 3 hour runs? That is about the longest you want to go for a marathon.
2014-09-07 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Steve, I'm trying to get ready for Soldier's Marathon in early Nov. Even before signing up, I knew I wouldn't be in optimal marathon shape. The easy decision was to train for a PR HM, finish the half, run out a few miles, and then encourage hubby for the last few miles of his first marathon. But that would have been too easy so I signed up for the full and adjusted my expectations to just have a fun time and forget about the clock. Training this way has been good and bad. My paces suck but I'm actually enjoying my 2+ hour runs. Yep, enjoying - not just enduring. I'm focusing on nutrition and strength. I'm hoping that if I just keep plugging away in the heat, up and down hills, that it will be enough to let me have a enjoyable time on a relatively flat route with temps that are a lot cooler. Time will be slower but I plan to do if I think I can make it without injury. If I don't feel like I'm ready, I'll drop to the half and go back to the easy plan.

Linda, be careful on those dark runs and definitely wear a headlamp. I do all of my weekday run in the dark but I'm on well lit roads or wear a headlamp. Yesterday I was just plain stupid. To get to my favt long route, I have to do this one portion that is dark. It's safe and since everything else was well lit (and the sun would be up soon), I decided to skip the light and just really focus. I had just congratulated myself on maneuvering most of it and forgot about this one little curve in the road. Sheer stupidity.

2014-09-07 12:23 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pearland,Tx
Congratulations!!

Phil and Joe

on your HIM

ill let you guys share the details and your wonderful experience!!!!

Carl

mine is next week
2014-09-07 6:03 PM
in reply to: #5046812

User image

Hi All,

I finished my first Oly in 2h 58mins.
Swim - 33:29s - 1760m - rough with strong current from one side so it dragged me a bit of course, was hoping for a time around 27min but still happy as conditions were tougher than expected
Cycle - 1:20min - 40km - relatively flat route, only 240m of elevation gain but still surprised mysels as was hoping for 1:30min, average speed 29.8km/h
Run - 59:39 - 8.97km - didnt expect much, 10km 1:10min so looking at my time I was close. at least 50people passed me on tge run, so I know what should be my priority this Winter.
altogether great experience - 116th place out of 136.

I will do Full RR in next couple of days. I have to admitt I'm in love with my new sport. want to be better, slimer, faster. yes
2014-09-07 6:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by drtroll

Hi All,

I finished my first Oly in 2h 58mins.
Swim - 33:29s - 1760m - rough with strong current from one side so it dragged me a bit of course, was hoping for a time around 27min but still happy as conditions were tougher than expected
Cycle - 1:20min - 40km - relatively flat route, only 240m of elevation gain but still surprised mysels as was hoping for 1:30min, average speed 29.8km/h
Run - 59:39 - 8.97km - didnt expect much, 10km 1:10min so looking at my time I was close. at least 50people passed me on tge run, so I know what should be my priority this Winter.
altogether great experience - 116th place out of 136.

I will do Full RR in next couple of days. I have to admitt I'm in love with my new sport. want to be better, slimer, faster. yes

WooHoo!!!!!!!! Awesome time and great, great, great job! Congrats on finishing your first OLY!
2014-09-07 8:26 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Hey all, just wanted to pop in and say I finished my first half tri, with some success.

Overall: 6:23:58 (6th out of 11 age group, 73rd of 192 male finishers, 90th of 277 total finishers [406 total registered])

Swim: 36:15 (21st/25th)
T1: 3:19 (32nd/35th)
Bike: 3:05:49 (108th/125th)
T2: 1:26 (24th/30th)
Run: 2:37:10 (82nd/106th)

I'll flesh out the details in a race report later, but I felt really good during my swim, and stayed within myself during my bike. I actually felt great coming off my bike! No jelly legs or serious cramps at the start of the run. But the legs eventually took a beating. Cramps came and went, but by mile 8 of the run, my knees wanted to give up. I was not pleased with the time--I was aiming for a 2:10 run split--but overall I am glad I finished.

The course was super flat, but conditions were hot! Water temp was 80 degrees. Temp at start of bike was 76, but the run started at 93 and ended at 95, with a heat index of 99. It took a lot out of the competitors. A gentleman who finished around me said his time was 45 minutes slower than his same race last year and blamed it on the heat. I'm blaming my knees, and my lack of training.

Congrat Wojciech on the oly! That's a fantastic time! According to my ranking, it looks like I have to either work on both my run and my bike, or get worse in swimming. The run, though, for me, has always been a weakness and I never feel comfortable or confident in it, so I need work as well.
2014-09-07 8:54 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Solid swim and bike, clearly the run is where you have the biggest room for improvement. Very nice overall though grats!

2014-09-07 9:25 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hello All,

Thursday did a 2 mile run. Still trying to keep the pace a little quicker

Back from a "mini-vacation" - actually a working weekend away. I dj'd a country dance weekend at a dude ranch in Stony Creek NY (near Lake George).

Was a good weekend, even went out for a run on Saturday.  Did over 6 miles for my first 10K! Even hit a PR on a 5K segment.

Looks like a lot of activity over the weekend. I hope all stayed injury free and completed what they set out to do.

Trisolar - sounds like you are ready to rock. Love that saying - Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

Phil - Nice gold on the boat races - Great job on the tri! Was really warm and humid. You did very well.

drtroll - Awesome job on the Oly! - I am getting addicted too... 

Squirt - Glad you are OK after the earthquake. Sounds like a fun and interesting vacation!  Thank you for the words of encouragement. Yes, it is something I need to accept, adapt and move on. Simple, not easy.

Jay - looks like things are starting to settle in. Good for you! Good luck with the MIL. Hope everything works out. With regards to lifting. I like to lift too, haven't been for quite a while. I am trying to get back to the gym 3 - 4 days a week not sure what routine? I want to keep strong on the SBR, just feel like I need to lift and get stronger too. Why must we obsess with one or the other?

Pink - Glad you are OK. Not fun doing things like that..  Not giving up and going right back at it is why I like this group! Thank you!!

Terps - Nice to see another lifter in the group. We will need to share our lifting plans as well. -or- is that blasphemy? lol...

2014-09-08 1:26 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
All fitness, tri or other related is generally a good thing, not to many red flags for unsportsmanly/womanly conduct in this group. 8). Some of us probably should add in some weight lifting for balance reasons.

So for the lifters what are good shoulder workouts to balance the muscles used in freestyle. Shrugs, lat pull downs, rows, bench, overhead press, tricepts, pecks, and not sure what ya call them, seated resistance elbow planted at your side back and forehand rotation across your body... sound good?
2014-09-08 7:12 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Phil - great job on the race and very nice time. Do not discount the heat, There were 27 people who did not finish the race. I am sure it is normal to see people not finish but 28 seems like a high number.

Steve - All your advice really helped make my first HIM a great day as I am sure finish would not have been possible otherwise. Nutrition was not perfect but enough to get me through is some brutal conditions. Do you know if there are any number on how many people do not finish HIM's/IM's?

Pam - Glad you are ok. Keep plugging away.

Jay - You have to find time for the things you enjoy. Maybe use it as a reward to get your self motivated to a run? There is enough stress in life without sweeting the small stuff. At least you are not opening another box of truffle in front of the TV.

drtroll - Congrats! That is a nice finish in tough conditions.

Thank all for your support I was thinking of you all and helped to keep putting one foot in front of the other. HEAT was the story of the day for me as the pre race temp was 77. The emotional roller coaster was incredible and while not meeting the cutoff and missing the post race stuff is a bit of a let down, I am sooooo happy for the experience. I still feel like I am recovering a bit but back to work tomorrow . The race report should be up http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
There was so much to this experience it is hard to put it all into words. As hard and hot as it was I want to do it again but thinking about all the training involved right now is a bit overwhelming.
2014-09-09 8:30 AM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Tri-solar

Phil - great job on the race and very nice time. Do not discount the heat, There were 27 people who did not finish the race. I am sure it is normal to see people not finish but 28 seems like a high number.

Steve - All your advice really helped make my first HIM a great day as I am sure finish would not have been possible otherwise. Nutrition was not perfect but enough to get me through is some brutal conditions. Do you know if there are any number on how many people do not finish HIM's/IM's?

Pam - Glad you are ok. Keep plugging away.

Jay - You have to find time for the things you enjoy. Maybe use it as a reward to get your self motivated to a run? There is enough stress in life without sweeting the small stuff. At least you are not opening another box of truffle in front of the TV.

drtroll - Congrats! That is a nice finish in tough conditions.

Thank all for your support I was thinking of you all and helped to keep putting one foot in front of the other. HEAT was the story of the day for me as the pre race temp was 77. The emotional roller coaster was incredible and while not meeting the cutoff and missing the post race stuff is a bit of a let down, I am sooooo happy for the experience. I still feel like I am recovering a bit but back to work tomorrow . The race report should be up http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
There was so much to this experience it is hard to put it all into words. As hard and hot as it was I want to do it again but thinking about all the training involved right now is a bit overwhelming.

Joe

i was going over and over your report and for sone reason i landed to the spreadsheet of the overall results. You are an official finisher , you have an official finish time. And some of the interesting data i saw were:
27 DNFs
4 Penalized for Drafting.
2. DQ for repeated offenses including Drafting

The two that were DQ'd have good finish times. Joe honestly I dont mean to judge the above , but given the choice i would rather have your finish time and have a clean conscience in the end and go home happy.

Bro im happy for you and i wont be surprised you want some more.

Congrats and Happy training on the next one.

Cheers!!!

Carl
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.