BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-09-16 7:41 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Steve, best of luck this weekend!!!!!!!! I think that you have already shared your bib number but could you re-post it? I'll definitely be stalking you and if I can calculate your finish time and factor in the time difference (which I always seem to blow although it's not that flipping hard), I'll watch you finish. I wish you awesome conditions this year! Hope the nasty elements were all used up on last year's race.

Carl, awesome job on your race! Love the pix of you and your son!

Been struggling this last week with motivation and mental toughness. Will never understand why I can be on top of the world (re running) one day and then rock bottom 36 hours later. C'est le vie. This morn was nice tho because I was trying to kick myself into another level when I see a runner ahead. Ha, I had a rabbit! Gained ground on him and then I took a loop. When I finished my loop, saw he was coming back and now I would be the rabbit. Waved at him and ran hard to stay ahead and then hit another loop. After the loop was finished, I still had to stay hard because I figured he was coming back again. Total mind games with someone who probably didn't know I was using him as my motivation. Naw, I think the runner was a neighbor and I think he was gunning for me when I was ahead of him.

Work is offering a yoga class today so I'm going to try it. Never done formal yoga although many of my stretches are yoga-ish. I bet I'll be the worst one in the room but need to try it

2014-09-16 1:44 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

Blairstown, NJ
Steve - Definitely looking forward to hear about IMLT this year.

Pam - I have tried yoga before. Let me know what you think of it.

Carl - Great race! Running however is like most everything else what you practice. After the season last year, I went run focus and got some nice improvement. Never got back to that level while training for the 1/2 though. Thinking of trying it again and was surprised with what I could do when provided the time in training.

Went out for my first run since the race yesterday. Felt pretty good but running is still not my thing. I plan on spending more time focussed on the run this fall though.
2014-09-16 3:05 PM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey Joe, glad you are back out there. Running in the fall can be delightful, so a good time for that focus .

Pam, yoga seems to encourage us not to not push, compare, etc. Of course, in the few yoga classes I attended at the gym, I found myself looking around the room to try to find ANYONE as inflexible as me. That's why I like my at home Rodney Yee DVD's.

Steve, wow, it's almost time for a revisit to Lake Tahoe! Are you staying at a hotel this time? Weather looks good (at least compared to last year), sunny with low of 50 and high of 88. Look forward to hearing about your adventure!
2014-09-16 5:47 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
The yoga class was PERFECT for me. The teacher obviously knows her stuff and more importantly, knows her class. We are all newbies. Well maybe 2 of the 14 might have some yoga experience, I'm not sure. I came in about 30 sec late and was the last one. I tried to squeeze into a corner but soon the teacher moved me to the one vacant spot - directly in front of her. So I couldn't see the people behind me but I get the feeling that one or two were more experienced than the rest of us. There were lots of creaky from various joints, muttering, laughing, gaffaws, etc. She corrected us nicely when we were incorrect. I'm sore now and I'm not sure if it's because of my hard run this morn or the yoga. Methinks it's the yoga. I really want to learn how to do it correctly. I think it would help my posture, my core, my balance. We shall see.

Carl, I will never be a coach but everything I read about ways to improve running is to run more. Easy, easy, easy miles until base is there. Hubby still says the best thing he ever did for his running was every day easy miles - even if only for 1 mile per day. I've never "streaked" like that but I notice the difference in my running if I'm running 3x weekly, 4x weekly, 5x weekly, and 6x weekly. Main thing is to not get caught up in pace and improvement but just go easy and have fun. After a few months, you won't even realize but you will be stronger and faster.
2014-09-16 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Thanks for the well wishes. Looks like the weather should be much better than last year. We will be tenting again, just can't see spending that kind of $$ on a hotel ($300x3= close to $1000 instead of $80). Oh race number 1370 btw.

So yes with the run get up to 25 miles a week, hang there in the 25 to 30 miles per week range for 2-3 months, then add in some speedwork (800 repeats) starting with 1 the first week, then 2 the next week etc. By the time you get up to 11x800 repeats you will be in shape. The 800s are at your 5k pace or slightly faster. You walk or jog 400 between your 800s.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-09-16 8:14 PM
2014-09-17 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Carlo, I can't agree with Pam's husband enough! Its very hard and humbling to start slow and do a little bit at a time but it is the best way. As I look back on things, one of the culprits to me DNS'ing my HIM was that I didn't start slow and work up. I was trying to do 8,9,10 miles in the heat/humidity without a base to back that up. I'd get crushed of course, my spirit/desire would diminish. Right now, I'm doing runs anywhere from 2-5 miles and my legs are coming back...as is my pace. I'm motivated to run again because I'm back to running sub 9...and that's where I was before my injury. I'm taking the same tact with swimming....I'm increasing my long swim by 50 yards and hanging around 400-500 yards total. I can do more but I need to let my muscles get used to swimming again along with the lifting that I'm doing. I've been messing around with my head positioning in the water and how I can breathe better with those changes. I don't have a race until June so I have nothing but time....and I plan on taking full advantage.

I also agree with Steve that the best way to improve your HIM run is to run. I read what FresnoJoe said in your RR but I don't agree with him. I believe that you have to train each discipline equally because they involve different muscles. I believe your own assessment was accurate when you said too much focus on biking, not enough on the run. That doesn't mean that biking doesn't help you a little bit with the run but you still need to get those muscles used to longer distances....make sense?

As for me, I'm just chugging along. I'm lifting, running, swimming....the bike is noticably absent from the phrase. I need to work in some trainer rides...but I'm on a good roll with things that I don't want to mess with it too much.

2014-09-17 2:57 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yep, you need to train swim hard enough that you can cmoe out of the water ready for the bike and you have to bike hard enough to come off it ready for the run, but you need the run base to be strong because you have already swam and biked so your run legs will need to keep going despite your previous 2 events. Most folks break the SBR down by how long it will take them to do that event in the race. So swim 1:30 or so, bike 8:00, run 4:15 comes out to rougnly 10-15% swim, 55-60% bike, 30-35% run. If you want to emphasize the swim it is more like 25, 45, 30.
2014-09-17 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks for the bid number Steve. Will be watching you. Have an AWESOME race!

Gosh ya'll please don't hold it against me that I come from the city with the dumbest college QB ever invented. Jeez, reminds me of the adage that we system analyst say, "As soon as you dummy proof something, they always come up with a better dummy." Apparently the factory is located here.

Way off topic, who has done the ice bucket challenge? Son did several weeks ago and hubby and I did two weeks ago.
2014-09-17 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Pam, so glad you liked yoga! Nice that there were other beginners in there, and that the instructor was so good!

Jay, glad you have found a nice groove. Congrats on overcoming the pre-surgery speed barrier! Very encouraging milestone!

Steve, good that the weather is looking more hospitable. Should make for better camping too. I hear you on the hotel cost...we honeymooned in Lake Tahoe...um...a few years ago, and it was pretty pricey even then.

Job search is officially on. Notified my current employer that I'm looking, and reached out to my references yesterday and today. I'm always amazed at how willing people are to help and already have a few possible leads from that. Also moved FIL to memory care yesterday and will continue that process this evening. So yes, lots happening, none of it triathlon except that I bike, jog, and swim as it fits with life. Have done my Jay circuit a couple times this week, and rode my bike once.
2014-09-17 9:10 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by medeiros13

Carlo, I can't agree with Pam's husband enough! Its very hard and humbling to start slow and do a little bit at a time but it is the best way. As I look back on things, one of the culprits to me DNS'ing my HIM was that I didn't start slow and work up. I was trying to do 8,9,10 miles in the heat/humidity without a base to back that up. I'd get crushed of course, my spirit/desire would diminish. Right now, I'm doing runs anywhere from 2-5 miles and my legs are coming back...as is my pace. I'm motivated to run again because I'm back to running sub 9...and that's where I was before my injury. I'm taking the same tact with swimming....I'm increasing my long swim by 50 yards and hanging around 400-500 yards total. I can do more but I need to let my muscles get used to swimming again along with the lifting that I'm doing. I've been messing around with my head positioning in the water and how I can breathe better with those changes. I don't have a race until June so I have nothing but time....and I plan on taking full advantage.

I also agree with Steve that the best way to improve your HIM run is to run. I read what FresnoJoe said in your RR but I don't agree with him. I believe that you have to train each discipline equally because they involve different muscles. I believe your own assessment was accurate when you said too much focus on biking, not enough on the run. That doesn't mean that biking doesn't help you a little bit with the run but you still need to get those muscles used to longer distances....make sense?

As for me, I'm just chugging along. I'm lifting, running, swimming....the bike is noticably absent from the phrase. I need to work in some trainer rides...but I'm on a good roll with things that I don't want to mess with it too much.

Thanks for the Advice Jay

I do need a gradual increase in running combining what steve said increase quantity gradually. I can still endup 20 mi/week with my long runs
1.5-2 hrs. gradual increase.

Pam

I appreciate your advice i have to admit i paid too much attention with my long runs and discounted the medium and short runs.I need to build slowly but surely

Steve

I know IMLT is this week i cant thank you enough in still looking out for us. This week will be the most daunting IM in North America and maybe the last . Goodluck bro!!

thanks Again everyone.

Carl

Edited by strykergt 2014-09-17 9:15 PM
2014-09-18 12:54 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
I'm still tweaking my fitness plan with what is working and what isn't. Right now, my shoulders are really sore....I was smart and did less work on them today and skipped my swim. I need to see if I need to dial down shoulder day as I increase swimming or if this is just and adjustment period.

Now, to the not so smart part of the day. I did a nice 4 miler yesterday at a sub 9 pace and did some calves at the gym....so today I decided to go out and try to do a 6 mile run with my friend. The predictable happened....legs/calves got really heavy but I did get in the miles. The pace wasn't so hot but unlike the summer, I know I can do better runs so I just need to slowly put miles on my legs so I can go further distances....and I should probably not do a long run the day after pushing a medium run.

Pam: How is your body feeling today after yoga?

Carol: Glad you are doing my circuit....hopefully enjoying it too! Good luck with the job search; just leave it in God's hands and everything will turn out for the best

Steve: Good luck on Sunday! I'm working a double so I hope to come home to seeing your finish!

2014-09-18 2:35 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
whats up everyone, just popping in to say hello. i took a solid week off workouts right after my HIM and indugled in plenty of ice cream and milkshakes. gonna get back at it to prepare for an easy century ride in Maryland in a week, and I plan on signing up for my last race of the year, a HM in Richmond.

Wanted to firstly wish Steve the best of luck at IMLT!

Joe I never got to congratulate you on your HIM finish! Good job! Seemed rough out there, much like mine!

Thanks Jay for all the strength tips and it's good to see you back here and active. The sub-9 milestone is something I can relate to, because just this year I was able to get my 10k's in that range, and my target for this final HM is 9:09, which would get me under 2 hours. I got really close earlier this year (my rock n roll half was at 2:01:25!) but it's a far cry from my 2:37 this past HIM run time. Keep plugging away!

Wojciech, not sure if you decided on a ride yet, but the elevation will make a diff. I've had friends with very little training jump on some of the flat centuries I've done and they struggle but make it through. But climbing makes it way tougher. Your call.

I really need to get into yoga more. I'd like to be more flexible.

I'm off camping this weekend, then another camping night before the century next weekend, and the weekend after that I'm off to Dominican Republic for a few days to check out the resort that's hosting our wedding! Exciting!
2014-09-18 2:36 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
2014-09-18 8:55 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Steve

I am sorry i know this is like asking too much with your IM less than 48 hours away, whenever you get to this no need to reply right away
I appreciate all your thoughts and feedback from my last HIM. I have an opportunity for another HIM 6 weeks after my recovery this week. IF I were to do it i have my 6 weeks training plan below let me know your feedback and thoughts about it:

5 weeks
3XSwim .5 hrs,.5hrs, 1hr.
3XBike 1 hr,1.5 hrs, 3 hrs
5XRun .5 hr,1 hr, .5hr,1 hr,.5 hrs,2 hrs.

1 week taper

2 swim.5 hr , .5 hr
1 hr. bike
2-Jog, .5 hr., .5 hr

Let me know watcha think, Fellow mentorees feel free to fill in

Thanks

Carl
2014-09-18 10:01 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carl that actually looks pretty good, but I would take 2 weeks to taper.
2014-09-18 11:53 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Baowolf

Carl that actually looks pretty good, but I would take 2 weeks to taper.

That wont be a problem steve

Thanks

Godbless!! Bro!!

2014-09-19 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
GO GET EM 1370!! KICK SOME BUTT AND HAVE FUN TOO, YOU WILL DO GREAT STEVE!!!
2014-09-19 3:45 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Looking for opinions on running. Do you do your long runs slower to get miles on your legs and use shorter runs to build up speed or vice versa? I do longer runs slower for leg endurance and shorter for speed but have been reading a few opinions to the contrary....it has me thinking a little bit.

I did a quick bike today to loosen up my legs for another run tomorrow. I may try another long run or medium....I'll see how I feel when I get out there.
2014-09-19 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Jay, my suggestion....keep the long runs EZ until your run base/mileage is really solid. Then, you might want to consider a mixture on the long runs. Say you're running 15. Do the first 12 EZ, and the last 3 at marathon pace. If it's a half you are training for, I LOVED this plan and it helped me get my HM's down to a 1:53 PR a couple years ago. It also incorporates some of the strong finish long runs. http://www.runningplanet.com/half-marathon-training-program-for-beg... Whether you use it or not, it might give you some ideas. If it's a mary, Pfitzinger uses the strong finish type long runs, but those plans tend to be high mileage and you need a really good base going in.

Steve, it's almost show time! Looking forward to seeing you get closer to that Kona legacy spot!
2014-09-20 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by medeiros13[
Looking for opinions on running. Do you do your long runs slower to get miles on your legs and use shorter runs to build up speed or vice versa? I do longer runs slower for leg endurance and shorter for speed but have been reading a few opinions to the contrary....it has me thinking a little bit.

I always use my longs for leg endurance, nutrition practice, mental aspect, and dress rehearsals. But if my base is good then I do mix it up some. Carol's suggestion is great and I think that Hal Higdon says something like "About every 2 or 3 longs can be a 3/1. If you are feeling good, make the last quarter faster." Hal also has another plan where about every other week, you do a pace run the day before your long. That way, you are tiring your legs one day and therefore the long is slow. Another thing that I do is seek hills on my longs. Not hill repeats but hillier. But always, always, always be careful and don't overdue. So if things are going great, one month I may do a 3/1 one week, next week a pace run then a long the next day, the next week (a step down week) maybe go harder on the long, and then the final week of the month go ez on the long with a few hills in the mix. That's just me tho.

WooHoo, can't wait to track #1370 tomorrow. Steve, we will all be thinking about you, praying for you, and cheering for you. I'll go get my pink pom poms and shake them every couple of hours. {Can't do hourly because they may not like that if I do it at church.}
2014-09-20 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hey guys I am in tahoe and the weather is nice, lesssmokey than yesterday. Tenting evening temps are cold so the first 90 min of the bike will be cold and the last 20 miles of the run. Really hoping my legs carry me through to the bike cuttoff, itshouldbe close, then iczn hobble themaryvine.

The longrun is for z2 efforts at leasrt until you are at 25 miles per week for 2-3 months. Then it proba lyisstillz2, butyou can do some mile repeats inthefirst halfof yourrun or the last 5 miles at mary speed. Usuallyyoustart with 800 repeats until you are up fm 8-10, and you can add hill repeats, then once you are at a solid 35 miles per week youcan add in the milerepeats at mary pace. that should get you down to a 1:35 ish half mary or 20 min 5 k. Then you can getmore complicated after you are at50 miles perweek.

2014-09-20 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Thanks for the feedback Carol, Pam, and Steve. I'm glad the way I like to run is something that most agree with
2014-09-21 9:17 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
i heard IMLT is cancelled oh well atleast Steve will be safe and the rest of the Athletes
I heard its about a continuous fire and air quality is not good

Edited by strykergt 2014-09-21 9:20 AM
2014-09-21 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4997711

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Just read in Twitter IMLT was cancelled due to air quality issues. Noooo!

Steve - so sorry to hear this and to have this happen :-(

I assume they'll just move your registration to Kona in 4 weeks? ????
2014-09-21 10:46 AM
in reply to: #5052509

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Winky smiley guy didn't get through in the Kona comment.

Steve, that sucks about the race
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.