BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2014-09-21 11:13 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by strykergt

i heard IMLT is cancelled oh well atleast Steve will be safe and the rest of the Athletes
I heard its about a continuous fire and air quality is not good

NOOOOOOO! I kept going straight to Athlete Tracker and didn't even read the top headline. Steve, I'm so sorry!

2014-09-21 2:21 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Ugggghhhh!!! Hate to hear that. Glad they are protecting everyone's health, but I'm sure it's tough to hear that as you are on the beach ready to swim. Steve, we know you will bounce back to race another day. Hope you can get out of the smoke zone and enjoy a bit more camping before you head home.
2014-09-21 9:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hey gang back home now. Thanks for the support. A lot of emotions about the cancelation of IMLT. We were literally on the beach 5 minutes before the start of the swim when a guy came on the loud speaker and said um... guys, we just heard from the official up at Squaw Valley that the Air quality is unhealthy for athletic activity or to even be outdoors so um ya pack it up we are done here. (I am paraphrasing). Everyone just stood there without moving for about 10 minutes we were like wtf... cancelled, but we can see the far end of the lake 30 miles away...... sigh. So we went through the motions of collecting the gear at the beach, bike, gear bags etc, then went up to Squaw Valley to get the run gear stuff and ya it was really smokey up there and got worse as you went towards Trukee. It was the right call, but it so sucked because the air was fine the day before, the water was calm that morning and the air temp was extremely nice with a low wind forecast of 5-7 mph. Sigh.

So then we packed up our tent, just headed home a day early and to let off some steam I had my wife drop me off 90+ miles from home so I could bike the rest of the way. Quite a letdown. As we were driving away from T2 some folks had some signs up, one read F___ Arsonists (the fire 82,000 acres just 12 miles from Lake Tahoe was started by an arsonist) and another sign that said "It is the journey...". Both signs rang true to me at the same time. People are capable of great evil and the impact on our race day was insignificant in comparison to the people who lost their homes because of this evil person (a suspect has been caught). The other one that ironman/triathlon is a journey and one day/race, DNS, DNF, cancelled race does not change that. Hard to take, but yup, it is the journey. It will cost me one more year on my journey to Kona, but I have the time. Thanks again for the support, time to just recover and get healthy for next years build to IM Boulder. I haven't yet researched what IM folks will do to compensate athletes, I am sure I will get an email this week, but I don't think they will be offering Kona slots to compensate 8). All is good, worked out my frustrations on the bike home....mostly. Thanks again for the support. Sorry I couldn't provide another heart wrenching epic saga of overcoming abused muscles to stagger to the finish line. Will try again next season. I'll get ya some picks tomorrow probably.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm128/DeVinci13/LakeTahoe2014018...

Edited by Baowolf 2014-09-22 9:22 PM
2014-09-21 11:48 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Steve

I know i read somewhere "the strongest of faith are the most tested" You are very inspirational in handling it well this last two season of IMLT does not look good so that makes you one of the only finishers of IMLT if ever they wont do anymore 140.6 IMLT. This is the event that drew me to your mentor group. Keep sending those lottery applications you may be drawn one day and you dont need a dozen IMs.

Theres even a guy who cant take not to do it raced away anyway :
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203396632971460

looking forward to your next one bro!!

More Power to You Man!! You will always be our TahoeMan !!

Carl

Edited by strykergt 2014-09-22 12:05 AM
2014-09-22 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
That's funny, I wondered if you would ride back part of the way home, Steve. You may just have to come to TX after all!

Yes, it's so hard to understand why people do things just to be destructive. How that is fun or gratifying, I have no idea.

Had a nice coffee ride with a friend on Saturday...very nice way to cap off the week. Then at church yesterday, the sermon was tailor made for where I am in life right now. Since I wound up working media screens for the 3rd service after attending 2nd, I got to hear it twice . Good weekend all around.
2014-09-22 3:51 PM
in reply to: squirt

Blairstown, NJ
Steve - Talk about getting the rug pulled out from under you. Ughhh! Well you understand as well as anyone the circuitous road of Tri. Tell you one thing I would not want to be the guy to make that anouncement though... It is hard to understand what motivates someone to start a fire like that given all the press fires have gotten over the years.

I am still taking it slow with a couple swims and walks the past week. God will bring you what you need, may we be wise enough to recognize it and put aside our desires.

2014-09-22 7:38 PM
in reply to: Tri-solar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Steve, saw this in TT. Not sure how accurate it is.

Originally posted by austhokie

it looks like WTC is providing a bunch of options to people who were cancelled at Tahoe

Option 1
Register for one of the following 2014 events for a reduced entry fee of $100 (a limited number of entries will be made available on a first-come, first served basis):

Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga benefitting Crohn's & Colitis (9/28/14) - 100 entries
IRONMAN Barcelona (10/5/14) - 50 entries
IRONMAN Florida (11/1/14) - 50 entries
IRONMAN Fortaleza (11/9/14) - 100 entries
IRONMAN Arizona presented by Waste Management (11/16/14) - 50 entries
Ford IRONMAN Cozumel (11/30/14) - 250 entries
Sunsmart IRONMAN Western Australia (12/7/14) - 100 entries

Option 2
Register for 2015 IRONMAN Lake Tahoe (9/20/15) for a reduced entry fee of $100.

Option 3
Register for one of the following 2015 events at a 50% discount (available on a first-come, first-served basis, offer valid for new entries only, existing entries will not be partially refunded):

Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas presented by Waste Management (5/16/15)
IRONMAN Coeur d'Alene (6/28/15)
Subaru IRONMAN Canada (7/26/15)
IRONMAN Boulder (8/2/15)
Subaru IRONMAN Mont-Tremblant (8/16/15)
IRONMAN Wisconsin (9/13/15)
IRONMAN Maryland (10/3/15)
IRONMAN Louisville presented by Norton Sports Health (10/11/15)

IMFL? Whatcha say? Think about it. You are already signed up for Boulder and it would give you time to taper and then come to FL. I'm 2 1/2 hours from PCB but I'll do everything I can for you - drive you, ship your bike here, etc. Inlaws sold their condo on the bike route but I think I can get accommodations for you in Destin or maybe PCB. You can also come to Tally and stay before and/or after; I'll even clean up for you. Come on. Think about it. {My heart still breaks for you and all of the other IMLT participants.}

Calves are sore from running over the last few days. No running for me tomorrow morn but I've got yoga again. Oh, and I'm not sure if I answered before but dang, I was sore after last week's class. I wouldn't have thought that something so relaxing and low-impact could hurt so much for so long.

Job situation weird. My last interview got me a job offer but turned it down because of the money. Now they have called back to get me to apply for another position. Five months ago, I was ready to fly the coop and now, uh, I don't know. Comfort, schedule, consistency - all nice. But then again, maybe stretching out would be good. Being an adult sucks. Carol, how is it with your job search?

2014-09-23 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Glad there are options out there for the IMLT folks! Still really tough for people who travelled a long way and don't have the $$'s to do that again. Joe, good words of wisdom. Getting me, myself, and I out of the way is a real challenge, but I am a lot more at peace when I do.

Pam, yoga is not for sissies . Ha, I can only handle 20 minutes at a time of it. Do you feel more relaxed when you come out of the class? One of the benefits, along with that sneaky strength work in muscles that tend to be neglected otherwise. Ugh, decisions, decisions re: the job front. Nice that you have opportunities though.

It was a BEAUTIFUL fall morning here, and I enjoyed a short bike ride after talking a bit too long with my neighbor. Been doing the Jay workout 3X/week, and riding my bike a few other days. Seems to feel right for now. Once I land a full time job, will have to swap cycling for something else during the week or resort to the (gasp) trainer. Job hunt is on, but trying not to force/rush things (my first instinct). Started off last week sending resumes to my contacts. Kerry has told his boss at work, and is targeting end of November for retirement. Ideally, I land something by then, but if not that's OK too. Keeping my current part time work, though starting to ramp it down a bit to make for a good transition for all.

2014-09-23 11:57 AM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
Bummer about IMLT Steve! While you're right that it's a journey and not a single day/dace, I wouldn't have accepted the cancellation as graciously as you. It does seem terrible out there, with the fires (both naturally occurring and... not). Pam's got a pretty sweet offer on the table!

Amazing weather here in DC too! I'm getting over being sick so I haven't actually enjoyed it. But camping this past weekend was a blast. No one has as much fun as our dog, though.
2014-09-23 2:51 PM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
OMG!!!!! So I go to Active to take the option to sign up for IMAZ for this year and they dump me into IM Chattanooga TN 2500 miles away on this Sunday. No one is answering phones, returning calls or responding to emails. IMAZ will be sold out for the transfers and I will be unhappier.... SIgh I so hate when incompetant folks screw with your life. If they do not work this out I may well be done with Ironman brand. It is amazing how they can get under one's skin like this. They don't even have a secretary answering the phone. K I'm done, nothing to see here move alone...
2014-09-23 7:10 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Very frustrating! No doubt the current volume of inquiries is overwhelming their systems designed for a slower trickle. Dealing with a lot of fully tapered athletes who did not get to race, yeah, not so fun either. I sure hope that in time they will make it right for you and others in a similar situation.

2014-09-23 7:25 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Baowolf

OMG!!!!! So I go to Active to take the option to sign up for IMAZ for this year and they dump me into IM Chattanooga TN 2500 miles away on this Sunday. No one is answering phones, returning calls or responding to emails. IMAZ will be sold out for the transfers and I will be unhappier.... SIgh I so hate when incompetant folks screw with your life. If they do not work this out I may well be done with Ironman brand. It is amazing how they can get under one's skin like this. They don't even have a secretary answering the phone. K I'm done, nothing to see here move alone...

OMG!!!! WTC just angered 1700 athletes , Steve looks like WTC really went corporate you know what i mean. I doubt there will be ever IMLT'15 . WTC seems to be looking for the easiest way out for them to compensate for you guys with another race scratch free from their own pockets by letting you guys pay the copay of the insurance. I cant even begin to imagine how extreme WTC tested your patience and the rest of the athletes.

Everyone knows WTC is $240M in debt and 140.6 participants is a small niche market this is no way to treat you guys . Everyone in their customer service department including marketing should be fired!

Steve i am sure this disappointment will balance out in the future. I always believe " Good things happen to good people "

Godbless Bro

2014-09-23 9:28 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya I am a bit hormonal with the taper no race thing. You know if I had gotten a busy signal or been put on hold for an hour I would have understood, but they didn't even bother to have someone answering any phones. I got dumped straight to machine with no call back. It will all wash, just an emotional day. I am half tempted to drive the 5000 miles if I didn't have work stuff I can't put off. Just frustrated is all and not sure whether to just take 6 weeks off or start cramming in an 8 week build for an IM. Small things just all built up. Hopefully they send an email from their one understanding person in the office and it gets worked out. If not, well I can let go of stuff in a bit and move on. A string of unfortunate events. Guess it is time to work more on that patience virtue. Florida isn't that much farther than Chattenooga right?
2014-09-23 9:46 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Steve, So sorry to hear what you are going through. Very tough to deal with situations out of our control.  Need to "let go". Not easy I know...  Good Luck! Hope it works out for you.

Not too much happening with me..  Bikes are in and out of the shop for various reasons, road bike is now getting the lower bracket rebuilt. Getting ready for a weeks vacation. No biking, will need to keep with run / swim...

Good stuff happening..  Patriot Half is in the works!

2014-09-24 11:21 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Hey Steve, sorry about IMLT. This just popped up on my FB acct. I have no idea if it interests you or not but here it is for whatever it's worth

Were you an IRONMAN Lake Tahoe participant? Still want to race 140.6?
Email your IM Lake Tahoe registration confirmation to [email protected] and race the ?#?hitschampionship? Full in Palm Springs, CA Dec. 6th for only $399!
Hurry - only good through 11:59pm PDT Oct. 1st!!
2014-09-24 5:56 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Master
Maryland
Steve, I am so sorry for all of your disappointment! It just plain sucks how they cancelled the race and then how active.com screwed up in such a big way. My thoughts and prayers go out to you!!

2014-09-24 7:32 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I was actually seriously considering driving the 5000 miles to do Chattanooga this weekend, but there is 1 meeting I can't do by phone on Monday. Of course that would have required driving 35 of 48 hours to get to registration (because I am sure IM wouldn't allow a Saturday pickup of my bib number) then 1 day to rest, do the IM and drive back 35 out of 48 hours.... while holding several meetings along the side of the freeway over several days. Ya just not gona work out. So now I am at the mercy of WTC returning a call or an email at some point. Things we can control, things we can't and wisdom to know the difference.... I think I heard that somewhere. At least my boss knows I picked her meeting over the race. Thanks for the support. I may just move all my races over to HITTS if WTC doesn't step up in some way. If they toss me a Kona ticket I can probably let go of the whole thing 8).

Edited by Baowolf 2014-09-24 7:40 PM
2014-09-25 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Steve, hope that WTC is able to reallocate your additional fee to a better timed/located race for you. If they haven't gotten back to you by now, that is no bueno at all!

It's looking like I may be back to having full time employment sooner than I thought! Business Director at my FIL's assisted living/memory care facility. Position opened up last week, dropped off a resume on Tuesday of this week, have had 4 interviews since then, and agreed on salary today. Is this what I envisioned when I decided to go back to work full time?....not at all. But I feel the hand of God in orchestrating this, and it feels right on many levels. Have I mentioned that it's a mile from my house? Got in a quick bike ride this morning. Weather is phenomenal here right now. Hope everyone is getting a taste of fall!
2014-09-25 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Congrats Carol! Hopefully, you are correct and this position is where you're supposed to be right here and now!

I'm still doing the smaller running thing; I've did a little over a 5K at 8:45 and then a quick 2 miler yesterday at 8:40. My goal was to run long today but rain ruined that idea.....i'll do it on Saturday before kid soccer game instead. I decided to try out the stadium stairs at the Y....harder than I thought! I made it almost 10 minutes...stopped because I was slowing down a younger kid. I finished my cardio with 20ish on the elliptical and then 500 in the pool. Still maintaining the slow/steady approach and really liking it. Strength is still up at the gym while I do all of this.....feeling like I'm in a good place.
2014-09-26 2:21 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carol great news. I hope the new job becomes a good fit for you.

I am settling out emotionally, 25 mile bike ride tonight. I did some lifting last night, nothing heavy, just a run through the circuit. It identified a couple weak muscle groups that I should pay attention to for balance sake. The pulling motion on the back hamstring (heals to butt curl) was notably less strong than I would have hoped. Some say that it is a weak area that affects the kick on the swim. So I will learn from Jay and add some strength training to my triathlon training and whine a little less in the face of adversity.

I put in a stiff email to WTC and entered a contest for a ticket to IMAZ this year. Given that my chances are about 1 in a zillion, but I won't find out until 10/13 for an 11/16 race, it looks like I should maintain some basic fitness for now. It is what I can do and the rest is in God's hands where it was to start with.

So who thinks it is tacky if all of my kids wear Ironman backpacks to school? They were included in the swag for the past 3 IMs.

Oh and tier 2 school administrator classes start Monday to suck up any spare time I thought I might have.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-09-26 2:22 AM
2014-09-26 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf

Carol great news. I hope the new job becomes a good fit for you.

I am settling out emotionally, 25 mile bike ride tonight. I did some lifting last night, nothing heavy, just a run through the circuit. It identified a couple weak muscle groups that I should pay attention to for balance sake. The pulling motion on the back hamstring (heals to butt curl) was notably less strong than I would have hoped. Some say that it is a weak area that affects the kick on the swim. So I will learn from Jay and add some strength training to my triathlon training and whine a little less in the face of adversity.

I put in a stiff email to WTC and entered a contest for a ticket to IMAZ this year. Given that my chances are about 1 in a zillion, but I won't find out until 10/13 for an 11/16 race, it looks like I should maintain some basic fitness for now. It is what I can do and the rest is in God's hands where it was to start with.

So who thinks it is tacky if all of my kids wear Ironman backpacks to school? They were included in the swag for the past 3 IMs.

Oh and tier 2 school administrator classes start Monday to suck up any spare time I thought I might have.

Steve, I have not seen any whining in the face of adversity from you. You have handled this 100 times better than anyone I can ever imagine!!!!!! You are amazing. As for the IM backpacks, yea, definitely go for it! You've earned them and the kids have helped you with your journey. Maybe some of the other kids will even be educated on IM and be inspired. The other day, I mention M-dot in a meeting and I could tell that none of them had a clue.

Carol, Yay!!!!!!! When you you start?

2014-09-26 3:55 PM

User image

New user
What a bummer. Steve I hope this gets resolved, very annoying indeed. You do a fine job of staying positive, congrats!
Carol congrats on the new job!

How is training for you all?
It seems I fell the training bandwagon in September... first the summer vacations with an injury, now the crazy days at work. I am just reemerging, and the month is almost over.
I have not trained nearly enough to attempt my hal-marathon on November 9. I know I can change it for the 10k but need to decide before Nov. 3. I am not even sure I'll be fit for a 10k!!!
At least we have gorgeous weather coming this weekend. Will bring out the bike for sure!
2014-09-26 6:04 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Isabella, FWIW, when I'm not sure of what I can do regarding running distance, I shoot for the stars; all the runs are ez, ez, ez, ez. I may have to drop down to the lower distance but I'm always further ahead come race day then if I was shooting for the shorter distance. Just me. We'll support you whatever you want to do.
2014-09-27 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Isabella, Pam said it best. You still have a month and some good training behind you for your OLY that you did.....it won't take long to get your cardio back...the question is how will your legs respond. That was my issue in the summer....my cardio was good but I was doing too many miles for my legs so they'd crap out before my wind. It got me very frustrated. That's why I'm doing a slower, steadier approach...trying to do it right this time....it seems to be working

7 miler today 9:22 pace...ideally I'd like to see that under 9 but thats a huge LR improvement from my 6 last week Hope everyone has a good weekend...I'm in soccer paradise with my kiddos today.
2014-09-28 5:20 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Master
Maryland
Congratulations Carol on your new job! I hope you enjoy it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 30

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.