BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-07-24 8:27 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-07-24 1:36 PM

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

3 hour OWS?  I'd be interested on what Shane thinks.  While a swim before the bike/run would give you some good info, I'm not sure about a swim that long.  You'd be putting yourself in a major calorie deficit once you get out of the water and I'm not sure your IM nutrition plan will work as well for this workout.

2014-07-24 2:12 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

3 hour OWS?  I'd be interested on what Shane thinks.  While a swim before the bike/run would give you some good info, I'm not sure about a swim that long.  You'd be putting yourself in a major calorie deficit once you get out of the water and I'm not sure your IM nutrition plan will work as well for this workout.

Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. Would you be swimming for 3 hours or more like an hour or so that your race would be? 3 hrs goes well up into double iron or ultraman territory. These will include fueling on the swim and need it.

2014-07-24 3:00 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

Yeah, I'm wondering about that too. Would you be swimming for 3 hours or more like an hour or so that your race would be? 3 hrs goes well up into double iron or ultraman territory. These will include fueling on the swim and need it.

Agreed that 3 hours is a really long swim. I've done it a few times and it wiped me out for the day each time.

2014-07-24 4:22 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by axteraa

Agreed that 3 hours is a really long swim. I've done it a few times and it wiped me out for the day each time.

I'm betting this is a typo, or that Fred wants to do part of a 3 hour swim others are doing.   I don't see anyone, much less Shane, recommending a 3 hour swim in any part of an IM build, especially with a 5 hour /:40 brick......

Edited by ChrisM 2014-07-24 4:29 PM
2014-07-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

4 x 1K intervals on the track this morning.   Learning new things every time I go out there, but that extra 400M starts to put a different kind of hurt on it.

2014-07-24 4:33 PM

My .02 (assuming it's not a 3 hour swim  ) other than camping out at the lake all day, you might get a ride to the lake?  But then you have to have all your bike gear etc., leave your swim stuff with your friend.  Might not be a problem but might be.  For me, on those really long IM training days to get good quality stuff in (which there were not that many of), I'd just dedicate the day to it.  I'd go to the lake, do a :30 swim or whatever, ride the 5 and run the :40, then go home.  Car will be a reliable "T1/T2" and, at least for me, it just made it easier than worrying about the logistics you mention

But I don't have kids so it's a whole nother ball of wax for me.

2014-07-24 5:24 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

800s at the track for me this afternoon after some VO2max stuff on the bike this morning.  Rubber legs tonight.  Should make that optional 25 x 100 kick interesting in the morning....

2014-07-24 6:14 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Here's a little write up of the local Donut Ride, the one I did for the first time last weekend (didn't do the alley,  but I know it).   A bit of hyperbole, of course, but not all...

The Donut Ride

2014-07-24 7:45 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Fred D

I've asked Shane this already, and logistics might make the choice for me, but would welcome any input:

I have a 5hr ride this weekend with a 40' transition run as an IM prep. Some friends are doing a 3 hr OWN that Sunday am as well. The problem is the lake is 1 hour drive away. So logistics will make it tricky, as I could ride back home and then run, but part of me doesn't want to do the logistics etc.

I do think there would be benefit to the swim before, but it will involve a lot of extra time away from the fam.

Thoughts?

Of course, no one can tell you what YOU should do.  So, here's how I think of it...

My family is very supportive of me training.  That involves lots of little sacrifices on their parts - all of which I appreciate and for all of which I try to reciprocate (they're crazy in their own ways, too!).  I try to use my "big day" passes for things I really REALLY want to do.

So, if this type of workout is one that you really have an itch for, use the pass (time away from family), enjoy the hell out of it and then do something great with the family (once you've recovered from that swim! ). 

If it's not up there with other things that might require a pass from the fam (like a race or something), then think hard about doing it or not.  In the latter case, **I** would pass and just get my workout on in a more family friendly way.  Buuuut, if this were something I really wanted, then I'd do it.

How's THAT for not very helpful?!?!?

I never presume to suggest to others how to balance things with their families, as everyone has a different way to do so positively.  Just how I think about it...

Matt

2014-07-24 9:03 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
, California

Hey guys, I just arrived in Whistler Village, getting settled.  I'm not super optimistic about my race with the training I missed letting my leg heal up.  But who knows maybe I'll surprise myself.  It's nice to be on a mini-vacation though, and definitely nice to drive to a race instead of flying like the last one!

2014-07-24 11:45 PM
in reply to: spudone

Nice, even if the race doesn't go as planned, it's so beautiful just make it a nice long training day.   and the rest may have just been what the dr. ordered.    Good luck, we'll be following

2014-07-25 1:55 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by ChrisM

Nice, even if the race doesn't go as planned, it's so beautiful just make it a nice long training day.   and the rest may have just been what the dr. ordered.    Good luck, we'll be following

Thanks!  Yeah someone asked me if I was going to do a little jogging before the race.  But there's no benefit to knowing if my leg is healed or not.  And if it makes it worse then the bike could be miserable.  Right now it feels pretty good so I'm leaving it alone.

Looks like I'm #1667 on the participant list.  I got here a little late for registration, so I'll know for sure tomorrow.

I like the bike course layout.  I think it'll work well for me if I go real slow on the opening hill.  The long downhill and flat through Pemberton will make it easy to conserve and hopefully have a strong finish back up the hill.  I keep reminding myself: head down, miles 60-90.  Make the most of that flat section.

2014-07-25 2:44 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

Thanks!  Yeah someone asked me if I was going to do a little jogging before the race.  But there's no benefit to knowing if my leg is healed or not.  And if it makes it worse then the bike could be miserable.  Right now it feels pretty good so I'm leaving it alone.

Looks like I'm #1667 on the participant list.  I got here a little late for registration, so I'll know for sure tomorrow.

I like the bike course layout.  I think it'll work well for me if I go real slow on the opening hill.  The long downhill and flat through Pemberton will make it easy to conserve and hopefully have a strong finish back up the hill.  I keep reminding myself: head down, miles 60-90.  Make the most of that flat section.

Best of luck Mark!  I hope things are all good with the leg and you have an awesome race!

2014-07-25 7:16 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by spudone

Best of luck Mark!  I hope things are all good with the leg and you have an awesome race!

Good luck, Mark!

2014-07-25 7:34 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Have fun Mark - can't wait to follow you along!

2014-07-25 7:42 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

I've asked Shane this already, and logistics might make the choice for me, but would welcome any input:

I have a 5hr ride this weekend with a 40' transition run as an IM prep. Some friends are doing a 3 hr OWN that Sunday am as well. The problem is the lake is 1 hour drive away. So logistics will make it tricky, as I could ride back home and then run, but part of me doesn't want to do the logistics etc.

I do think there would be benefit to the swim before, but it will involve a lot of extra time away from the fam.

Thoughts?

Hey Fred - I can't comment on the value of the time away from family - only you can put that in to context with what you have going on. In my IM simulation days I found out the most about nutrition, pacing, etc on the days that started with a 1:10 swim before the bike. There is something about spending that much time horizontal and then transitioning to vertical that I think is important in doing a systems check. 5 hours is plenty of time on the bike, but IME you could cut the run shorter than that if you were pressed for time and really just treat it as a transition run. You know how to run off the bike, and you don't need a long run to find out if you your plan is dialed in on the swim and bike. The couple of times I did 1:10 swim/5 hour bike/15 minute run told me everything I needed to know and I was good to go on Race day.

2014-07-25 8:00 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy
Originally posted by Fred DI don't think I could even fathom 25x100 kick despite the 'proven' benefits...
I always get killed on the kick sets at masters, so today I decided to give TJ Fry's 2500 kick workout from the "Swimming, Arms or Legs?" Thread a whirl:

400 Warm Up w/ fins and board

400 streamlined on back w/ fins

6x50 kick all-out, :30 sec rest

3x100 kick, :15 sec HARD

6x25 kick streamlined underwater w/fins (no breaths)

400 dolphin kick w/fins

200 dolphin kick, no fins

250 choice kick

12x100 free (build 3x 1-4) (1-4 free, 5-8 pull, 9-12 pull w/ paddles) 300 choice

I went down to the dive well and knocked it out. I actually did not find this to be completely awful, and in fact it was kind of a pleasant distraction. Not sure if it was good for me, but I don't think it was bad. With all of the fin fork the kicking bit only took me an hour to complete, and by the end my "fast" 50 kick time had dropped by 8 seconds, I am guessing because of being loosened up well and ankles being much more flexible from the fin work. I really thought this would take me a lot longer, but I was still able to get 1500scy of swimming in. Since all of my current swimming is masters (4500ish 4x per week) I am already doing anywhere from 10~15% of my distance as kick of some sort. If I decide to incorporate even more kicking into the session I wonder if it is better to mix it in or do it all at once like today?

in the end however I also agree with you Fred: I am not sure I could work up enough initiative to simply do 25x100 of just plain kicking.....

Rusty, curious what more typical kick work looks like for you? I had some issues building up earlier on in that my hips & ankles/forefoot could easily be overstressed. Not just tired muscles, but actually straining something in there. Enough that it could affect my running and even riding (to a small degree) the next couple days. They didn't have the strength left for the needed support. Quads could be forced through a big set, but these other areas would be risking injury to get through. Rolling an ankle became a very real possibility.

If you're regularly getting 10-15% of the weekly volume in as kicking, that sounded like plenty from what anyone has said. Highest I've seen in previous discussions was up to 20%. My interest in this comes from an increased interest in doing IM and the other strokes for some meets. These are more kick dependent than freestyle, particularly the longer distance swims in any triathlon, and my ability there is actually relatively less than with the flutter kick.

2014-07-25 8:01 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Enjoy the race, Mark!  Looks like a beautiful course!

2014-07-25 8:04 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Wow, great position.

FWIW I suspect your measly watts are actually pretty impressive when using the W/Kg formula.

That bike looks Hawt!

Thanks everyone for the comments on the setup - have been working to try and squeeze everything I can out if the bike and the engine I can this go-round. Arend, I can't WAIT till I get to tell my wife I need a new helmet with a little red in it - she is a designer as well, so I am SURE she will get it....

Yeah Fred W/kg are sitting right around 3.9~4.0 which is piddly compared to some of the big motors in the group, but I suppose is still pretty good for us AG triathletes. I have intentionally been targeting lumpier races this year to take advantage and have had some success. I don't think the Milwaukee course is going to suit me though - from the looks of it there is only about 300 feet of elevation in 40k. W/kg won't help much on a course like that!

2014-07-25 8:18 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Fred DRode with a bunch of cat 2's tonight and was appropriately humbled. Man roadies can climb!

Yeah, I hear you Fred. The weekday group I ride with has been doing a "Shadow Tour" for the last 3 weeks. Basically you put a couple of bucks in for as many as three riders who you think will win the sage that day, and if you ride with the group AND one of your riders wins you get the pot. Also the route we ride gets changed each day to resemble the tour route, albeit only 40~45 miles long. Prizes for the top 3 finishers each day. On the first two Wednesdays I was at least in the scrum for the sprints and got on the podium both days. I was feeling like I was somebody. This past Wednesday though was the "Pla d'Adet" stage - four little funny climbs, the last being a short but incredibly steep local wall. I don't think I can hit over 800 max watts on a good day, so I need a loooooong run to the finish - no way I can hang with the big 1200~1400w dudes on an all-out 45 second effort. They went away from me so fast it was stunning. But, on the upside, none of them can swim or run very well! :^P

2014-07-25 8:21 AM
in reply to: Divemedic

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Divemedicso first race on sunday...

and good luck to you Jeremy - you are going to have a blast! Can't wait to read the race report.

2014-07-25 8:27 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
Northern IL

Wow, great position.

FWIW I suspect your measly watts are actually pretty impressive when using the W/Kg formula.

That bike looks Hawt!

Thanks everyone for the comments on the setup - have been working to try and squeeze everything I can out if the bike and the engine I can this go-round. Arend, I can't WAIT till I get to tell my wife I need a new helmet with a little red in it - she is a designer as well, so I am SURE she will get it....

Yeah Fred W/kg are sitting right around 3.9~4.0 which is piddly compared to some of the big motors in the group, but I suppose is still pretty good for us AG triathletes. I have intentionally been targeting lumpier races this year to take advantage and have had some success. I don't think the Milwaukee course is going to suit me though - from the looks of it there is only about 300 feet of elevation in 40k. W/kg won't help much on a course like that!

Getting up around 4.0 is not "piddly"! I think the relationship between power, W/kg and elevations tends to be overblown in both directions. Just go ride your bike. The execution matters far more than this does.

2014-07-25 8:46 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Wow, great position.

That bike looks Hawt!

Getting up around 4.0 is not "piddly"! I think the relationship between power, W/kg and elevations tends to be overblown in both directions. Just go ride your bike. The execution matters far more than this does.

Oh, yeah - agree 100%. I have become a much better climber over the last couple of years and I would actually put w/kg way down on the list of the reasons why. How to execute a 50+ minute climb is key, particularly when you put a bunch of them back-to-back. Also, it took me a little while to figure out how *I* climb vs. how others do it - I have found there is a lot of individuality to it. For instance, I can't hang with guys at the beginning that attack a climb, but I have gotten much more confident in my ability to ride steady and then a slight progression and eventually ride back on (and often through) the group. I just can't handle the punchy efforts like others can.

Execution most often beats fast, probably my favorite thing about triathlon, especially long-course. It is all about planning and the ability to properly execute that plan, no matter what else is going on around you. That, and the ability to stay calm and keep your sh*t together when the unexpected occurs.

2014-07-25 9:03 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
...at home in The ATL

Rusty, curious what more typical kick work looks like for you? I had some issues building up earlier on in that my hips & ankles/forefoot could easily be overstressed. Not just tired muscles, but actually straining something in there. Enough that it could affect my running and even riding (to a small degree) the next couple days. They didn't have the strength left for the needed support. Quads could be forced through a big set, but these other areas would be risking injury to get through. Rolling an ankle became a very real possibility.

If you're regularly getting 10-15% of the weekly volume in as kicking, that sounded like plenty from what anyone has said. Highest I've seen in previous discussions was up to 20%. My interest in this comes from an increased interest in doing IM and the other strokes for some meets. These are more kick dependent than freestyle, particularly the longer distance swims in any triathlon, and my ability there is actually relatively less than with the flutter kick.

Ben, logs are open, and I try to remember and write down all our masters sets - I put them in training peaks so my coach knows what we did and then copy them here. This was the set from this morning - it had a little more kicking than usual - looks like right at 25% total volume:

400 of (75 free -25 kick on back w/ hands flat at side)

300 of (75 free - 25 kick and rotate with one shoulder dry)

200 of (75 free - 25 kick w/ one arm extended and shoulder dry)

100 of (3 strokes & 8 kicks w/arm extended)

Swim 100, 200, 300 IM, :10, :20, 30 rest

Pull 300, 200 (w/ paddles), :30, :20 rest

20x100:
1-5 free steady on 1:40
6-10 kick steady (odds free, evens breast) :15 rest
11-15 free descend 1-5 on 1:50
16-20 kick steady w/fins (odds dolphin, evens free)

200 choice warm-down

I hear you on the physical impact of a lot of kicking. I have historically had some issues of chronic tendinosis in my hip flexors, so I took it really cautiously as I began to try and take the kicking more "seriously." I was a little worried about it on the 2500 set, but it was fine - I felt it a little later in the day but I have learned some good stretches with blocks in yoga class that keep it at bay. Of course I think slowing down and just doing all the kick sets in masters for the last 4 months has helped with that as well. Honestly I think as much as I hate it kicking helps recover my legs better after big bikes and runs.

*edited to fix bad math & remembered we descended the last 5x100 free, not build.

Edited by TankBoy 2014-07-25 9:36 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37356 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72745 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.