BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-08-19 6:49 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Fred D Oh and it appears I missed kona by 7sec. The guy who out sprinted me at the end actually got the last spot. Not disappointed (ok maybe a little) but Hawaii this year would have been a very, very poor idea.

Everything happens for a reason.  Maybe one day when the time is right.

2014-08-19 6:55 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ChrisM

Leadman still whispers in my ear once in a while though....

mine too....

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddddddddd Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

2014-08-19 7:04 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-19 11:11 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy

mine too....

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddddddddd Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Here too. Kinda wish they could get more courses out though.

2014-08-20 7:58 AM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster

I don't have any side shots from this weekends race, but was curious about any feedback any of you have based on my "front" position.  The pic where I was off to the side was taken just as we were starting to go up a hill about 20km after the other pic was taken.  I would like to fnid a way to get lower in the front, just to see if I can put out the same power and maintain the same comfort level - BUT, the stem is slammed at this point.  So I likely need to consider a different aerobar, clip on configuration that would allow me to multiple adjustment points so I can play with my position - I also haven't tried flipping the stem or looking for a negative rise, as those are other options.  I've talked/thought about making position adjustments in the past but want to get serious about it this fall/winter.

Neil - like you said it is hard to tell much from a single image, and particularly from that angle, but a couple of general questions, as you look pretty "low" already. 

Are you sure that getting lower would make you faster, or just want to try it out and see? How far are you willing to go? for instance, it looks like your hip angle is already closed up (again, hard to tell from the pic) So, what is your current crank length and would you be willing to shorten it in order to get lower without compromising your hip angle?

I know that Marc had posted numbers in the past about 1cm lower only equally about 2.5watts, I'm just not sure how low or high I actually am in relation to where I could be, so I'd like to experiment.  Interesting comment on the hip angle - what would I need to do to open it up a bit?

2014-08-20 8:31 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

mine too....

That's exactly what I keep hearing!  I knew it was you.

2014-08-20 9:14 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Originally posted by axteraa

mine too....

I can hear rusty from 6k miles away....
2014-08-20 9:39 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Jim + Fred + Neil = a dumptruck full of awesome.  Great races (and great next generation race, too!).  I can't even imagine (which is why this group is so great - shows what's possible!).

Just popped in to say hey.  I've been down for about a month and have some catching up to do here, but the last couple pages are filled with what I expect from SBR…  

Mostly settled now and my body is just about de-injured (I'm calling it healthy until it proves me otherwise) and actually ran yesterday and swam today.  Barton Springs is my new Walden!  Austin rocks.  Work rocks.  Very happy about all that.

Tough to find running/riding routes from home, which is a minor ding, but otherwise it's a slice of heaven.  

Hope to be back around more regularly in the coming months as I work to get back to being fit and find some sense of balanced unbalance.

Best to all!

Matt

Matt, we go to the Austin City Limits Music Festival each year and last year I swam at Barton Springs...it really is a very cool place.   We have ACL tix for this year but have held off buying plane tickets in case I qualified for Kona which is not too long after ACL.  Guess we'll be going to hear Spoon and The Head and the Heart in Texas in October

2014-08-20 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

Pro

Originally posted by Fred D Ok, I just signed up for IMMT 2015 (no shock as most knew I was going to do another IM next year). It fits with the time of year for me and my family. Also a good course for me. There are very few spots left for the full apparently, and I am working on talking James into this race. Any other sbr folks interested in a group race? Could try to re ignite the Canada USA 'Rocky' battle we had last year? Will sell out soon!

Nice to hear that you're going back for another race at MT Fred.  I reeeeeeeeeaaaallllly want to sign up again as we speak, but its been "suggested" to me that I should do an earlier IM so that the summer weekends arent totally controlled by IM training....perhaps CDA again (TX sounds just too hot).  I will definitely go back to MT sometime soon...it has carved out a nice spot in my heart.  Congrats again on a solid race Fred.

Edited by Birkierunner 2014-08-20 9:54 AM
2014-08-20 10:52 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Master
, California

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by Fred D Ok, I just signed up for IMMT 2015 (no shock as most knew I was going to do another IM next year). It fits with the time of year for me and my family. Also a good course for me. There are very few spots left for the full apparently, and I am working on talking James into this race. Any other sbr folks interested in a group race? Could try to re ignite the Canada USA 'Rocky' battle we had last year? Will sell out soon!

Nice to hear that you're going back for another race at MT Fred.  I reeeeeeeeeaaaallllly want to sign up again as we speak, but its been "suggested" to me that I should do an earlier IM so that the summer weekends arent totally controlled by IM training....perhaps CDA again (TX sounds just too hot).  I will definitely go back to MT sometime soon...it has carved out a nice spot in my heart.  Congrats again on a solid race Fred.

That's funny, I have friends and family pushing me to do the opposite.  Maybe I annoy them and they like me gone on long bike rides?  Hmm...

I'm looking at the Barcelona race in October next year.  MT will be my fallback if that doesn't pan out.  I considered CdA again but that lake -- brrrrr.  It'll take a moment of forgetfulness for me to pull the trigger on that one

That said, I'd do CdA over Texas in a heartbeat.

2014-08-20 11:00 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by Fred D Oh and it appears I missed kona by 7sec. The guy who out sprinted me at the end actually got the last spot. Not disappointed (ok maybe a little) but Hawaii this year would have been a very, very poor idea.

Everything happens for a reason.  Maybe one day when the time is right.

agree Jason. That's exactly what my wife said to me. Things happen for a reason.

I'd feel the "what-if" a little too, but the rolldowns are never guaranteed and there was no way you guys could know whether that sprint meant a KQ or not.  Stuff like that I try to put myself in the other person's shoes.

And you had what, a 20 min PR?  I bet not many people in your time range improved that much over a season!

2014-08-20 2:47 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
...at home in The ATL

I don't have any side shots from this weekends race, but was curious about any feedback any of you have based on my "front" position.  The pic where I was off to the side was taken just as we were starting to go up a hill about 20km after the other pic was taken.  I would like to fnid a way to get lower in the front, just to see if I can put out the same power and maintain the same comfort level - BUT, the stem is slammed at this point.  So I likely need to consider a different aerobar, clip on configuration that would allow me to multiple adjustment points so I can play with my position - I also haven't tried flipping the stem or looking for a negative rise, as those are other options.  I've talked/thought about making position adjustments in the past but want to get serious about it this fall/winter.

Neil - like you said it is hard to tell much from a single image, and particularly from that angle, but a couple of general questions, as you look pretty "low" already. 

Are you sure that getting lower would make you faster, or just want to try it out and see? How far are you willing to go? for instance, it looks like your hip angle is already closed up (again, hard to tell from the pic) So, what is your current crank length and would you be willing to shorten it in order to get lower without compromising your hip angle?

I know that Marc had posted numbers in the past about 1cm lower only equally about 2.5watts, I'm just not sure how low or high I actually am in relation to where I could be, so I'd like to experiment.  Interesting comment on the hip angle - what would I need to do to open it up a bit?

Running shorter cranks can allow you to raise your seat (which effectively gets you "lower" in front) without compromising your hip angle (it will actually open it up a bit). It can be an expensive thing to experiment with though, but I cannot imagine it wouldn't be of benefit for most, even if the the aero gains were negligible.

2014-08-20 3:03 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
...at home in The ATL

mine too....

Ha-Ha - you guys are funny! Leadman was on my "definitely do as my targeted race" next year, but now I am really thinking about giving Nationals a serious go. If the schedules are similar to this year, then  Leadman will be about 5~6 weeks after Nationals, and honestly at a week-and-a-half after my legs are still feeling a little flat - really surprised how much that race took out of me. I have my last tri of the season in 3 weeks, so I should get a good idea how I will rebound by then, but right now I am feeling rather blah. Also, the training for an 'A' race at Nationals would be somewhat different than training for an 'A' race in Bend, so I would really have to think about that. In that scenario I would normally just do leadsman as a season ender for the "fun" and "experience" of it, but if a whole SBR contingent showed up that sure would change that, now wouldn't it?

At any rate, all that is a looooooooong way away, but I am certainly in the "if-you-guys-do-it-I-will-do-it" camp at the moment!

2014-08-20 6:16 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm currently in the mindset that i will read some race reports from this year and see if they suck me in or make me think "why the heck would I do that??".

2014-08-20 6:17 PM

2014-08-20 6:18 PM

2014-08-20 6:33 PM

mine too....

Ha-Ha - you guys are funny! Leadman was on my "definitely do as my targeted race" next year, but now I am really thinking about giving Nationals a serious go. If the schedules are similar to this year, then  Leadman will be about 5~6 weeks after Nationals, and honestly at a week-and-a-half after my legs are still feeling a little flat - really surprised how much that race took out of me. I have my last tri of the season in 3 weeks, so I should get a good idea how I will rebound by then, but right now I am feeling rather blah. Also, the training for an 'A' race at Nationals would be somewhat different than training for an 'A' race in Bend, so I would really have to think about that. In that scenario I would normally just do leadsman as a season ender for the "fun" and "experience" of it, but if a whole SBR contingent showed up that sure would change that, now wouldn't it?

At any rate, all that is a looooooooong way away, but I am certainly in the "if-you-guys-do-it-I-will-do-it" camp at the moment!

Leadman is out for me 2015 as I have a dive trip around the date that race will be.

Always wanted to do the Leadman "Epic" tri southwest, when it was at Lake Mead, then they made it IMAZ lite.  Not very epic.....

2014-08-20 7:56 PM

Pro
NJ

Just a quick "drive by" post to say kudo's to you guys for an impressive season of racing thus far. It's been fun reading your race reports. You've all had some great performances. Fred, congrats on a terrific race at MT!  

I spectated at Timberman last weekend. The Canadian contingent was quite entertaining... Les Chickens from Montreal especially...most of them crossed the finish with a rubber chicken in hand. Based on the ratio of "Allez Allez" to "Go Go" I'd estimate at least 30-40% of the field was from Canada. It's definitely not a MT type venue but still a nice setting.  No racing for me this year.  I had a crash on the bike a few months ago and mucked up the shoulder pretty badly. Multiple fractures of the proximal humerus and torn rotator cuff. Surgery took care of the fx but I'm still working on recovering range of motion. It was the same arm I broke in December so working to regain full function is first priority. I have started running a little which helps the mental recovery.  I could probably get in the pool and do just kick sets but that would impede mental recovery.

Anyway, good luck to all for the rest of the season. 

2014-08-20 10:02 PM

Pro

Originally posted by Fred D

Jim, I would think IMTX would not be a good option, as it is so hot and you and I train in colder climates.

It does have the most Kona slots (75).

IMMT has 50 for next year.

How many does CDA have?

Fred, CDA has 50 slots as well in 2015 and I believe it had only 3 slots in M50-54 this year.  I did CDA back in 2009.  It was an OK venue and I wouldn't mind going back but it pales in comparison to M-T.  If it was up to me I'd be going back to M-T but it comes down to compromise on the home front.  I talked with Patrick Mcrann (spp?) coach from Endurance Nation at rolldown on Monday since I knew he had KQ'd at Texas a couple years ago.  He described some of his heat coping strategies and it didn't sound too appealing to me.

2014-08-20 10:40 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by kcarroll

Just a quick "drive by" post to say kudo's to you guys for an impressive season of racing thus far. It's been fun reading your race reports. You've all had some great performances. Fred, congrats on a terrific race at MT!  

I spectated at Timberman last weekend. The Canadian contingent was quite entertaining... Les Chickens from Montreal especially...most of them crossed the finish with a rubber chicken in hand. Based on the ratio of "Allez Allez" to "Go Go" I'd estimate at least 30-40% of the field was from Canada. It's definitely not a MT type venue but still a nice setting.  No racing for me this year.  I had a crash on the bike a few months ago and mucked up the shoulder pretty badly. Multiple fractures of the proximal humerus and torn rotator cuff. Surgery took care of the fx but I'm still working on recovering range of motion. It was the same arm I broke in December so working to regain full function is first priority. I have started running a little which helps the mental recovery.  I could probably get in the pool and do just kick sets but that would impede mental recovery.

Anyway, good luck to all for the rest of the season. 

Kim, glad you checked in.  Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and a return to training over the fall/winter so you're ready for next season.

2014-08-20 11:11 PM

Elite
Ontario

Mechanical question - I tried putting my Shimano 11-28 cassette onto my bike tonight, but while the shifting was okay (SRAM), it just felt rough while turning the pedals.  I'm wondering if it's because I put a spacer behind the 28 cog that came with the cassette.  The existing SRAM 11-26 went back on without issues (no spacer).  I didn't have the chance to try out the new cassette without the spacer but am hoping maybe that was the issue.  Thoughts?

2014-08-21 1:29 AM

Neil...usually for me the thin spacer is dependent on the wheel.  I only use SRAM cassettes though, so not sure, but there are wheels (all 10 speed hubs) where I need the spacer and some that don't even if using the exact same cassette. 

That said, clunky shifting may be because you need to adjust the B limit screw.  That's the adjustment that keeps the upper pulley the proper distance from the bottom of the cassette which will greatly impact shift quality.  You might also want to check your high and low limit screws to make sure that the derailleur is aligned properly to the smallest and largest cogs.

All of these adjustments are clearly explained on various youtube videos.

2014-08-21 2:44 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Neil, I would certainly try without the spacer.  Those little buggers have gotten me more than once, including a time when I ended up with two in there somehow.

Kim, nice to hear from you but sorry to hear about the bike crash.     Hope you are able to recover well and get back into training again.

2014-08-21 5:50 AM

2014-08-21 5:51 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37384 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72756 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.