BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-08-21 5:52 AM
in reply to: kcarroll

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-08-21 5:57 AM
in reply to: spudone

2014-08-21 4:55 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Fred, I am glad that the 7 seconds is not an issue for you.  that would be a bad week if kona really was the goal and that was the difference.   But I suppose in every race you have those stories.

This morning was a tough workout, 7 miles, with 6 x 3' hill repeats.  I 100% believe that time literally slows down when doing hill repeats.  It has to, no way those were 3'......

2014-08-21 7:32 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Champion
So....I signed up for an ironman today: IMMT.....had to get in before it sells out...lol. Might have to use the new transfer thing to another event depending on what happens with residency but guess I'm doing an IM in 2015 regardless...
2014-08-21 8:31 PM
in reply to: mndymond

2014-08-21 8:36 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

2014-08-22 5:07 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mndymond So....I signed up for an ironman today: IMMT.....had to get in before it sells out...lol. Might have to use the new transfer thing to another event depending on what happens with residency but guess I'm doing an IM in 2015 regardless...

Nice!  Such a great venue.

2014-08-22 8:17 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Jason N

Neil...usually for me the thin spacer is dependent on the wheel.  I only use SRAM cassettes though, so not sure, but there are wheels (all 10 speed hubs) where I need the spacer and some that don't even if using the exact same cassette. 

That said, clunky shifting may be because you need to adjust the B limit screw.  That's the adjustment that keeps the upper pulley the proper distance from the bottom of the cassette which will greatly impact shift quality.  You might also want to check your high and low limit screws to make sure that the derailleur is aligned properly to the smallest and largest cogs.

All of these adjustments are clearly explained on various youtube videos.

The spacer wasn't the issue.  The shifting feels just fine, but when I pedal there is a "rough" feeling that I can actually feel through the pedals.  Not sure what would be causing that.  I wanted to ride with the 11-28 this weekend but will go back to the 11-26.

2014-08-22 8:27 AM
in reply to: axteraa

2014-08-22 8:28 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

2014-08-22 9:50 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Okay, I need to vent/whine just a little bit....

I'm really frustrated with WTC / 70.3 WC and their lack of communication to the point where I'm seriously considering bailing on this race, despite the effort I've put in and the money I've spent.  I just found out the other day that check-in and packet pick-up is Thursday and Friday (only till 4pm on Friday), and nothing on Saturday, even though the race is on Sunday.  My flight gets into Ottawa at 2pm on Friday, so there's literally no way I can get my checked luggage (bike), pick up a rental car, and drive to Mont Termblant before packet pick-up ends at 4pm.

I emailed them asking if there's anything that can be done....haven't heard back.  Messaged them on fb, and received a message to "be patient and they'll get back to me" -- why they can't just respond via fb, where they're obviously monitoring their messages, is beyond me.

For a race that I'm basically going to be BOP (maybe DFL?), I don't think I can justify the costs to change flights and get a hotel for an extra night (going to be running me on the order of $700).  Also, every bit of my training feels terrible these days....I like to think it's the 100+ temps we've been having, but I just can't even fathom feeling like anything other than garbage.

So yeah, this is whiney and very "woe is me"....but I'm just frustrated and don't know what to do

2014-08-22 9:59 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by mndymondSo....I signed up for an ironman today: IMMT.....had to get in before it sells out...lol. Might have to use the new transfer thing to another event depending on what happens with residency but guess I'm doing an IM in 2015 regardless...
I am in.......and I am going for sub 1hr swim. Really my goals are to just beat Fred's transition times......
2014-08-22 10:02 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

2014-08-22 10:04 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

2014-08-22 10:09 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I'm really frustrated with WTC / 70.3 WC and their lack of communication to the point where I'm seriously considering bailing on this race, despite the effort I've put in and the money I've spent.  I just found out the other day that check-in and packet pick-up is Thursday and Friday (only till 4pm on Friday), and nothing on Saturday, even though the race is on Sunday.  My flight gets into Ottawa at 2pm on Friday, so there's literally no way I can get my checked luggage (bike), pick up a rental car, and drive to Mont Termblant before packet pick-up ends at 4pm.

I emailed them asking if there's anything that can be done....haven't heard back.  Messaged them on fb, and received a message to "be patient and they'll get back to me" -- why they can't just respond via fb, where they're obviously monitoring their messages, is beyond me.

For a race that I'm basically going to be BOP (maybe DFL?), I don't think I can justify the costs to change flights and get a hotel for an extra night (going to be running me on the order of $700).  Also, every bit of my training feels terrible these days....I like to think it's the 100+ temps we've been having, but I just can't even fathom feeling like anything other than garbage.

So yeah, this is whiney and very "woe is me"....but I'm just frustrated and don't know what to do

Nicole, I know that must be very frustrating to deal with but I'm sure WTC will accommodate you when you get there. Not very reassuring but sometimes we got to go on faith.
2014-08-22 10:20 AM

Champion

Hope it works out!

2014-08-22 11:08 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran

In your email/conversation if a proxy to pick up your packet is an option, don't hesitate to use me as that proxy.
If your flight arrives at 2, between customs, pickup and driving you probably need 3-3.5hrs. When you hit around 3:30 in Ottawa, traffic isn't really bad, but a lot of civil servants go home from that point on and many take the same route you will be taking.
If you need to change your flights, staying somewhere between Ottawa and MT the thursday night could be pretty cheap.
Not sure what your route is but there is a flight from Toronto direct to Tremblant. Porter Airlines. My roommate for this race is flying in this way.
If flights arrive a little earlier in Montreal that is a shorter/faster drive.
And finally, you will not be DFL, not even close. Based on my running these days, I think I may have that position locked up :-)

Edited by marcag 2014-08-22 11:10 AM
2014-08-22 11:17 AM
in reply to: marcag

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

You guys are killing me with all the talk about registering for IMMT 2015   I seriously cannot get excited about signing up for CDA but I'll just suck it up for a year.

2014-08-22 11:18 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

2014-08-22 11:56 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by Birkierunner

You guys are killing me with all the talk about registering for IMMT 2015   I seriously cannot get excited about signing up for CDA but I'll just suck it up for a year.

Here is some motivation for you Jim.  Sign up and see if you can catch me.    btw we are in the same AG

2014-08-22 12:06 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
, California

Originally posted by GoFaster

Neil...usually for me the thin spacer is dependent on the wheel.  I only use SRAM cassettes though, so not sure, but there are wheels (all 10 speed hubs) where I need the spacer and some that don't even if using the exact same cassette. 

That said, clunky shifting may be because you need to adjust the B limit screw.  That's the adjustment that keeps the upper pulley the proper distance from the bottom of the cassette which will greatly impact shift quality.  You might also want to check your high and low limit screws to make sure that the derailleur is aligned properly to the smallest and largest cogs.

The spacer wasn't the issue.  The shifting feels just fine, but when I pedal there is a "rough" feeling that I can actually feel through the pedals.  Not sure what would be causing that.  I wanted to ride with the 11-28 this weekend but will go back to the 11-26.

Have you checked your chain stretch lately?

2014-08-22 12:20 PM

2014-08-22 1:19 PM

Pro

Originally posted by Fred D

Still open!!  :-)

oh, I know it is    I've checked several times this week, thinking "I can secretly register and if KQ doesn't happen at CDA I can spring the news (if we are still together lol ) that I can take another shot at M-T in August.  I won't do that, but its tempting...that's how much I like M-T.  The frustrating part is, even if I KQ at CDA its not like I can take the rest of the summer off and have 10x the family time available.  On a more serious note, I do think I need to re-arrange my weekly training schedule so that my IM training has less of an impact on the home front.  Man, this is a seriously selfish endeavor and my hat is off to folks that have tons of kids.  My girlfriend has a 5 year old that I adore, so I can get a glimpse somewhat of what's involved on the family front.

2014-08-22 1:20 PM

Pro

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Here is some motivation for you Jim.  Sign up and see if you can catch me.    btw we are in the same AG 

did you guys hear what I think I just heard??

2014-08-22 1:57 PM
in reply to: spudone

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by GoFaster

Have you checked your chain stretch lately?

This would be my guess.  Earlier this year when my chain was heavily worn, I would be able to feel that "rough" sensation in my pedals, especially when it rained.  I was sort of overcoming it by cleaning my chain and applying lube often, but it was just "masking" the real issue.

It's possible the teeth on your original cassette have worn with your chain, making the original cassette seem to feel smoother.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37497 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72906 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.