BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-09-13 7:35 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by dtoce

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by mndymond Weekend check in. On call for family medicine and obstetrics....covering double call has been a bit hectic so far today. Taking some downtime now because I'm going to be back for a delivery in the next little while I think. I was supposed to do a trail HM next weekend but opting out of doing it with my tendonitis. Few short runs and mountain biking this past week (while the weather is still good). New shoes have been working out so far. Run tomorrow am before rounds. Victoria is in a few weeks--flights are already booked so Im going for the Oct long weekend regardless. Hopefully I can still do the HM

Welcome to my life lol.

Babies, seem to come at all times of day and especially the night...

so do heart attacks...(my life)

I'm racing in MD tomorrow. Will be 41 degrees, rained today with whitecaps on the lake....but I'm planning to use Fred's rules of racing and just working on what is in my control=effort

Ya...I'm banking on my induction resulting in a baby by 10pm....come on oxyyyyyy.

Until then I'm scheming up my potential race plans for 2015 and avoiding what I should be doing (writing up personal letters for emerg)...Thinking I might do an Xterra. Maybe Las Vegas in April.

2014-09-13 7:52 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-13 7:53 PM
in reply to: mndymond

2014-09-13 8:12 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion

Originally posted by mndymond

Originally posted by mndymond Weekend check in. On call for family medicine and obstetrics....covering double call has been a bit hectic so far today. Taking some downtime now because I'm going to be back for a delivery in the next little while I think. I was supposed to do a trail HM next weekend but opting out of doing it with my tendonitis. Few short runs and mountain biking this past week (while the weather is still good). New shoes have been working out so far. Run tomorrow am before rounds. Victoria is in a few weeks--flights are already booked so Im going for the Oct long weekend regardless. Hopefully I can still do the HM

Welcome to my life lol.

so do heart attacks...(my life)I'm racing in MD tomorrow. Will be 41 degrees, rained today with whitecaps on the lake....but I'm planning to use Fred's rules of racing and just working on what is in my control=effort
Ya...I'm banking on my induction resulting in a baby by 10pm....come on oxyyyyyy. Until then I'm scheming up my potential race plans for 2015 and avoiding what I should be doing (writing up personal letters for emerg)...Thinking I might do an Xterra. Maybe Las Vegas in April.
thinking of doing a 1 year fellowship in ER?

That's the plan. It has been pretty competitive to get into the ER year over the past few cycles, so I guess we will see what happens. I think I have a strong chance of getting in somewhere though. Applying to majority of the programs across Canada...interviews in November.
2014-09-13 8:42 PM

2014-09-13 8:50 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Jason N

So Kona is coming up in less than a month, and I realized I haven't swam one stroke since that race last year.  LOL.  Will be going back for 5 days to spectate, ride my bike, and drink beer...but one of the most fun things to do is swim off the pier in the morning that week.  So I suppose I better get my butt in the pool soon.  LOL.

Bring your floaties!  

Not volunteering on race day?  Bike catching is a ton of fun.

I'm doing bike check in. It was my favorite experience interacting with volunteers when I was an athlete. Also helps that you get to handle really nice bikes...before they are peed on...lol. I also signed up for run aid station but didn't hear back. I was specific that I wanted to be on Alii drive to be close to my hotel.

2014-09-14 4:04 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Sprint tri this morning. The runner took the show for first overall, but the cyclist took the dough for 2nd overall and the $100 prize for the bike split. Not much I can do against a guy who goes 16:23 off the bike.

2014-09-14 4:28 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Elite
PEI, Canada

So Kona is coming up in less than a month, and I realized I haven't swam one stroke since that race last year.  LOL.  Will be going back for 5 days to spectate, ride my bike, and drink beer...but one of the most fun things to do is swim off the pier in the morning that week.  So I suppose I better get my butt in the pool soon.  LOL.

Bring your floaties!  

Not volunteering on race day?  Bike catching is a ton of fun.

I'm doing bike check in. It was my favorite experience interacting with volunteers when I was an athlete. Also helps that you get to handle really nice bikes...before they are peed on...lol. I also signed up for run aid station but didn't hear back. I was specific that I wanted to be on Alii drive to be close to my hotel.

First time we volunteered as bike catchers, I didn't know why they were so insistent on us wearing gloves until someone explained it to me....  

Bike check-in should be fun too!

2014-09-14 4:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

Sprint tri this morning. The runner took the show for first overall, but the cyclist took the dough for 2nd overall and the $100 prize for the bike split. Not much I can do against a guy who goes 16:23 off the bike.

I hate those guys.  

Congrats on the 2nd overall and the 100 bucks!

2014-09-14 4:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

I hate those guys.  

Congrats on the 2nd overall and the 100 bucks!

I know, it's like dealing with those former swimmers ... 

He may have wanted this prize more though.

2014-09-14 5:34 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
proud owner of a brick with my name to be etched on it...thanks to some luck, some power and giood tming

glad THAT's over-that is a tough race

and Nicole, only once did I say 'Mountain goat yourself up this f*cker!'-but it DID help me get up my nemesis of the firetower road (the second time) without stopping...there may have been some other swear words inserted in there...

I met up with and paced the 3rd pace guy in the 30-34 division, a legacy guy, over the last 3 miles, including said firetower f*cking road-which was pretty cool (he was 28 OA)-and my buddy Ryan Hunt took 3rd in the 25-29 division (I stayed in the house with him thanks to Kent last year)

Very nice to see and I'm very happy for them. I am just happy to be alive, get a brick and be into recovery now
Give me a drink!

Edited by dtoce 2014-09-14 5:44 PM

2014-09-14 5:37 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by dtoce proud owner of a brick with my name to be etched on it...thanks to some luck, some power and giood tming glad THAT's over-that is a tough race

Wow, congrats!

When you said "I'm racing in MD tomorrow", you could have been a little more specific.  

2014-09-14 5:43 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Champion

Welcome to my life lol.

so do heart attacks...(my life)I'm racing in MD tomorrow. Will be 41 degrees, rained today with whitecaps on the lake....but I'm planning to use Fred's rules of racing and just working on what is in my control=effort
Ya...I'm banking on my induction resulting in a baby by 10pm....come on oxyyyyyy. Until then I'm scheming up my potential race plans for 2015 and avoiding what I should be doing (writing up personal letters for emerg)...Thinking I might do an Xterra. Maybe Las Vegas in April.
thinking of doing a 1 year fellowship in ER?
That's the plan. It has been pretty competitive to get into the ER year over the past few cycles, so I guess we will see what happens. I think I have a strong chance of getting in somewhere though. Applying to majority of the programs across Canada...interviews in November.
fwiw I would pick you for my ER residency in a heartbeat. Best of luck!

Thanks Fred. Crossed fingers!

btw. I had good LDR juju yesterday. 830pm delivery and slept alllll night. :D
2014-09-14 5:43 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Dude-
you guys are 'real triathlete's, I''m just a poser...
and BTW, Fred-I've had your comments about things that are in your control on my training log home page for a month-they are truly words to race by and I believe truer words were never spoken

Attitude and effort are the things we can control.

Thank you, my unmet friend, for helping me with that.

Edited by dtoce 2014-09-14 5:47 PM
2014-09-14 5:44 PM

Champion
Pretty good run today! Walked 5min-ran 30-walked 5. First straight 30min run in a long time that did not involve me thinking about my ankles every 5s. New shoes still feel a bit wonky to me but I'll take wonky over pain. lol
2014-09-14 5:50 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Pretty good run today! Walked 5min-ran 30-walked 5. First straight 30min run in a long time that did not involve me thinking about my ankles every 5s. New shoes still feel a bit wonky to me but I'll take wonky over pain. lol

Be smart-ice if necessary, watch for issues with weakness
I think ypu'll be OK.

And good luck with the ER (yuck-too tough for me-you gotta know everything about everything...)

2014-09-14 5:54 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mndymond Pretty good run today! Walked 5min-ran 30-walked 5. First straight 30min run in a long time that did not involve me thinking about my ankles every 5s. New shoes still feel a bit wonky to me but I'll take wonky over pain. lol

Sweet!  Wonky is definitely better than pain.  Did you say what the shoes were in a post?  I may have missed it.

and FWIW, my sister in law was an ER nurse for a couple of years - she absolutely loved it!

2014-09-14 6:01 PM

Champion

Originally posted by mndymond Pretty good run today! Walked 5min-ran 30-walked 5. First straight 30min run in a long time that did not involve me thinking about my ankles every 5s. New shoes still feel a bit wonky to me but I'll take wonky over pain. lol

Sweet!  Wonky is definitely better than pain.  Did you say what the shoes were in a post?  I may have missed it.

and FWIW, my sister in law was an ER nurse for a couple of years - she absolutely loved it!

Saucony Omni 13

I feel like a traitor. I wore Brooks Glycerin for the past 6 yrs...
2014-09-14 6:04 PM

Champion

Be smart-ice if necessary, watch for issues with weakness
I think ypu'll be OK.

And good luck with the ER (yuck-too tough for me-you gotta know everything about everything...)

Been physio-ing it up. The usual--stretching, stability, improving ROM. I also believe in ultrasound. I believe...(I also pubmeded it....apparently there is actually evidence to support that it improves inflammation and isn't totally voodoo magic) I BELIEVE!
2014-09-14 6:08 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Saucony Omni 13 I feel like a traitor. I wore Brooks Glycerin for the past 6 yrs...

I hear ya, I switched from Asics to Brooks after 5 years.  I was 100% loyal and then my feet suddenly decided they hated the Asics (and not because of a new model year).

2014-09-14 7:23 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by dtoce proud owner of a brick with my name to be etched on it...thanks to some luck, some power and giood tming glad THAT's over-that is a tough race

Wow, congrats!

When you said "I'm racing in MD tomorrow", you could have been a little more specific.  

Hah, right?!?  You know, just a little race in MD....no big deal

Congrats, Dale!  I hope your RR will have a pic of said brick with your name etched on it!!  

2014-09-15 1:07 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
, California

Well, as some of you know, I've had a rough time healing this calf injury.  This pretty much shot all my summer goals.  I let it heal awhile, enough to get through the Canada race.  But I started trying to build up running after that and felt it go again after about 5 runs.  So I'm feeling pretty stir crazy but *really* am committing to a full 8 weeks of healing this time.

What to do in the meantime?  Threw my name, and my $25, into the Alcatraz lottery, of course

2014-09-15 3:21 PM
in reply to: spudone

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

Well, as some of you know, I've had a rough time healing this calf injury.  This pretty much shot all my summer goals.  I let it heal awhile, enough to get through the Canada race.  But I started trying to build up running after that and felt it go again after about 5 runs.  So I'm feeling pretty stir crazy but *really* am committing to a full 8 weeks of healing this time.

What to do in the meantime?  Threw my name, and my $25, into the Alcatraz lottery, of course

Good luck!  My name is in there too.  

2014-09-15 3:30 PM

Master
, California

I tried a couple years ago, before they added the fee.  Maybe I'll have better luck now, with less applicants in the pool.

2014-09-15 4:55 PM

I was thinking about getting back in....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37192 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72635 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.