BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-09-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by ligersandtions

So after Mont Tremblant, I decided I'd take a full week off from all training to give myself some time to recover.  I started some training again last week (mostly running as I'm attempting to do a run focus) and it's been nothing but awful.  A 30 minute easy run has felt anything but easy.  I completely fell apart on (what should have been) an hour long run yesterday.

I thought taking some time off would be good for me, but it seems to have been the worst thing I've done in my training so far.  I feel like I'm starting all over again.  I don't understand how that could be.

I've been in the pool twice since the race....my swimming doesn't seem to have suffered quite as badly as my running, but given how the running and swimming have felt, I'm quite worried about getting back on the bike now...

You just need more time. I bet next week you will be fine.

Your body is just telling you to slow down for a second ;-)

Hah, I hope that's the case!  Cause it feels like it's saying, "You're dumb for slowing down....never do that again!"

2014-09-22 1:43 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

So after Mont Tremblant, I decided I'd take a full week off from all training to give myself some time to recover.  I started some training again last week (mostly running as I'm attempting to do a run focus) and it's been nothing but awful.  A 30 minute easy run has felt anything but easy.  I completely fell apart on (what should have been) an hour long run yesterday.

I thought taking some time off would be good for me, but it seems to have been the worst thing I've done in my training so far.  I feel like I'm starting all over again.  I don't understand how that could be.

I've been in the pool twice since the race....my swimming doesn't seem to have suffered quite as badly as my running, but given how the running and swimming have felt, I'm quite worried about getting back on the bike now...

You just need more time. I bet next week you will be fine.

Your body is just telling you to slow down for a second ;-)

Hah, I hope that's the case!  Cause it feels like it's saying, "You're dumb for slowing down....never do that again!"

If it makes you feel any better, I ran last week Wednesday for the first time in over 4 months.  And maybe the 9th time I've ran in almost a year.  That run last week was 1.8 miles.  I was sore the next day to the point where I was walking funny down stairs.  I honestly felt like I had just did a hard 16 mile long run.

Plan to try and run again today...LOL.

2014-09-22 2:16 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by axteraa There was a section that went through downtown Niagara Falls with some tall buildings but I'd say 70-80% of the course had a decent view of the sky.  Saw a couple of other posts on Strava that had it short too.  I just looked at the course they had posted online for the race and there was a short out and back section that we turned around sooner than what was on the map.
Congratulations I think you beat Lionel Sanders on the swim :-) If you decide to do a ride in Ottawa on the way back, let me know. I am in Ottawa this week and will probably ride Gatineau Park a little.

I did beat Lionel on the swim.    and I beat Cody Beals to T2.  Of course he double flatted and pulled out of the race.  

I'll let you know if we are in the Ottawa area for sure!

Great job Arend, sounds like spot on execution.

2014-09-22 2:26 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Congrats on a great (zoot) season Fred!  I'm really trying to scratch and claw my way through the end of the season.  I am still hitting most all the workouts, but am riding the razor's edge of burnout.  Or more likely already fallen on the other side.  This was supposed to be an easier, have fun and experience things season.  I way more than met that goal, but it was a lot of racing, and different and odd distances that didn't really lend themselves to eachother.  I'm just freaking tired and looking forward to a weekend off......

But

Silverman is in 2 weeks, then 4 weeks later the marathon on Catalina Island.  Thankfully, the mary is a trail marathon that I am training for but not looking to crush, just looking to experience the backcountry.  Hopefully can keep the mojo together enough to get a few more long training runs in (and on yesterday's run we saw an honest to god wolf on the trails, someone's pet, but still....)  Silverman, meh.  Do the race, get the shirt, limp home

A couple weeks back started looking at a December Oly to try to qualify for nat's, then knocked some sense into me.  One of the good things about so cal is you can race year-round.  One of the bad things about so cal is you can race year-round.

2014-09-22 2:47 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by ChrisM

Congrats on a great (zoot) season Fred!  I'm really trying to scratch and claw my way through the end of the season.  I am still hitting most all the workouts, but am riding the razor's edge of burnout.  Or more likely already fallen on the other side.  This was supposed to be an easier, have fun and experience things season.  I way more than met that goal, but it was a lot of racing, and different and odd distances that didn't really lend themselves to eachother.  I'm just freaking tired and looking forward to a weekend off......

But

Silverman is in 2 weeks, then 4 weeks later the marathon on Catalina Island.  Thankfully, the mary is a trail marathon that I am training for but not looking to crush, just looking to experience the backcountry.  Hopefully can keep the mojo together enough to get a few more long training runs in (and on yesterday's run we saw an honest to god wolf on the trails, someone's pet, but still....)  Silverman, meh.  Do the race, get the shirt, limp home

A couple weeks back started looking at a December Oly to try to qualify for nat's, then knocked some sense into me.  One of the good things about so cal is you can race year-round.  One of the bad things about so cal is you can race year-round.

so have you asked yourself "is slogging through the next 4 weeks worth it?"

2014-09-22 2:54 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Originally posted by Birkierunner

But

so have you asked yourself "is slogging through the next 4 weeks worth it?"

Yeah, and concluded that I really want to do this.  Been talking about it for years, and it's a double date couples weekend away on the island (I am running with the wife, my wife and her husband will be hanging out).  I actually do really enjoy the trail run training, and if I can drop off most swimming and biking after next weekend, i think that will help alleviate some of the pressure

2014-09-22 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

But

Okay, now I've confirmed that you're nuts!  I backpacked the Trans Catalina Trail last year, which felt rather insane itself....and then learned that there's a marathon that goes along much of the trail and thought, "Okay, anyone who does this is totally nuts!"  Hope you enjoy it and get to see bison (but not get chased by them!!).

I flirted with burnout toward the end of my season as well....I think I may have lost the battle, but hoping changing things up a bit will help.

2014-09-22 3:28 PM

User image

Same here.  The past 3 seasons I have seen a noticeable drop off in performance around this time of the year.  The first couple of seasons it was fun to race year round with little expectations...but as I got a little faster, and my training became more focused on specific races, it became a lot harder to keep that type of focused training going year round.  Now I really have to pick and choose where to put in my big training efforts and allow some time for easier training and for fun racing.

2014-09-22 5:32 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Same here.  The past 3 seasons I have seen a noticeable drop off in performance around this time of the year.  The first couple of seasons it was fun to race year round with little expectations...but as I got a little faster, and my training became more focused on specific races, it became a lot harder to keep that type of focused training going year round.  Now I really have to pick and choose where to put in my big training efforts and allow some time for easier training and for fun racing.

Been trying to accept I need to slow down some points in the year. Burnt up and flamed out a couple years ago and don't want it to happen again. Took a long time to pull out of that.

2014-09-22 6:38 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2014-09-22 6:56 PM
2014-09-23 7:44 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
Ontario

I'm kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum at the moment.  I had a tough start to the year with injuries and sickness, coupled with work, led to a lower volume year with the exception of the ramp up for Muskoka.  Now I'm kind of chomping at the bit to get going on a bike build, but I'm being reigned in a little with some unstructured training.  The fact that I set a new PB for the 20min test last week is added motivation to see what I can do this winter on the bike - that plus the fact I still can't run.

2014-09-23 9:44 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Excellent job this weekend Arend and Fred! Of course it didn't really happen without pics and a race report - heh.

FWIW I actually hate writing race reports. I love reading other people's, but I don't ever go back and read my own. I started writing them 4 years ago at the insistence of my (then new) coach. He encouraged me to write every single thing down I could remember from my races not really as a means of recording it for posterity or even reflection, but rather simply as a means of honing race visualization. Theory is that by visualizing an event that has happened you become better prepared to visualize one that might happen in the future. From my teaching research and experience I know this to be true, and I have gotten much better over the past few years at pre-race and alternative scenario visualization - it causes most races to actually seem just kind of routine, but it has also help me a lot to keep calm and carry on, especially when things go south.

2014-09-23 9:47 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
...at home in The ATL
Fred - interested to know what the dude that won your AG swam - my guess he was a fish? Around these parts combining a top 2~3 bike with a top 2~3 run would win the age group, unless one of the handful of sub 20 swimmers showed up.it really is remarkable how difficult it is to put together a balanced Olympic race.
2014-09-23 9:50 AM

Champion

Agree. We need breaks in the year to avoid burnout. I am going unstructured for the next 2 months. Will be running and swimming lots, and riding with friends when I can.

Anyone up for a swim challenge for October?

Me me me!! I have about 0 motivation to get in the pool right now...even my new swim suit that is sparkly is not motivation enough. I have basically the same two swims on my schedule for the past few weeks. lol Fail. SPARKLES are not enough

What kind of challenge? whatever? volume/frequency?

2014-09-23 9:54 AM
in reply to: mndymond

Champion
Fixed up my rear tire for the trainer last night with a condom wrapper...lol...no patch kit to fix my tire. I had a sidewall puncture that blew on the trainer somehow...guess it is time to order new tires....

2014-09-23 11:29 AM

Edited by Fred D 2014-09-23 11:37 AM

2014-09-23 11:35 AM

2014-09-23 11:59 AM

Champion

Originally posted by mndymond

Me me me!! I have about 0 motivation to get in the pool right now...even my new swim suit that is sparkly is not motivation enough. I have basically the same two swims on my schedule for the past few weeks. lol Fail. SPARKLES are not enough What kind of challenge? whatever? volume/frequency?

I would propose posting a workout once a day in this group. Then we could see who could do it (or most of it), times, quality, etc.
I swim with a group on Tues/Thursday, so I won't join in those days as I like what the coach sets up for us.

This could almost be like a 'WOD' for the cross fitters ;-)
(Oh no he d'int go there...)

Allrighty, Melissa and I are in, who else?
I will try to post a workout I like later tonight that can be done tomorrow am.

Guidelines?

1. About 1 hour.
  2. 2,500-,3400 yards (max)
  3. Something with a twist or challenge?

Let me know, but *I* think we could help motivate each other!

So are we swimming everyday then? Bring back the club swimming days Fred? *Shudder*

FYI tomorrow is not october. lol
2014-09-23 12:44 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

I would propose posting a workout once a day in this group. Then we could see who could do it (or most of it), times, quality, etc.

I swim with a group on Tues/Thursday, so I won't join in those days as I like what the coach sets up for us.

Guidelines?

1. About 1 hour.

I'm in

Disclaimer: I work at a pool.

WOD' for the cross fitters

What's this?

2014-09-23 1:07 PM

2014-09-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

2014-09-23 1:22 PM

Champion

Me me me!! I have about 0 motivation to get in the pool right now...even my new swim suit that is sparkly is not motivation enough. I have basically the same two swims on my schedule for the past few weeks. lol Fail. SPARKLES are not enough What kind of challenge? whatever? volume/frequency?

Guidelines?

1. About 1 hour.

So are we swimming everyday then? Bring back the club swimming days Fred? *Shudder* FYI tomorrow is not october. lol
I think we could post a workout everyday with the idea that it is not necessary to swim all 7 days. Feel free to if you want to. I suspect 4 times would be what I hit. Can compare weekly and monthly yardage (meterage?) as motivation. My 11 yo will still out swim all of us though...

This makes me think whether I can beat my 11yr old self or not in my current state....I think no...

I think I need to swim more....
2014-09-23 1:30 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by TankBoy Fred - interested to know what the dude that won your AG swam - my guess he was a fish? Around these parts combining a top 2~3 bike with a top 2~3 run would win the age group, unless one of the handful of sub 20 swimmers showed up.it really is remarkable how difficult it is to put together a balanced Olympic race.

Lol, I was joking with my wife that he must have been a college swimmer... but nope.
Then I joked that he must have 'cut the course'... but nope.

TURNS OUT...

He was a member of the Netherland's 1996 Olympic swim team... 100 free relay!!!

PS he also out ran and out biked me ;-)

Ha-ha - that is what I figured based on my own experience. I have the same here - Bruce Genarri. We are the same age so I have been racing against him for 20+ years. In 1997 he was the first out of the water in his first ironman at Kona. Not first amateur, he was first overall. Whenever I see Bruce at a race I know I am racing for second place in the AG; there is just nothing to be done when a dude can put 8 minutes on you in the water! In Chattanooga this year I was able to close the gap to 6 minutes - I was so exited by that single accomplishment you would have thought I won the entire race! :^)

2014-09-23 3:23 PM

Edited by Fred D 2014-09-23 3:24 PM
2014-09-23 6:02 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by mndymond FYI tomorrow is not october. lol

No, tomorrow is the start of the rest of your life though ;-)

Here is the first session:

300 swim choice
8x25 all out on 60s
6x50 build 1-3, 4-6 on 60s
2x200 pull (paddles optional) on 4:00

3x{
4x50 IM order with 10s rest
200 free at oly distance effort with 10s rest
4x50 build 1-4 with 10s rest}

200 swim choice

3200 yards total

No burpees on the deck between sets?  Bah...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37208 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72636 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.