BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-10-17 7:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by axteraa

Oh and Sanders' swim coach was my swim coach for the two years I swam at University so we are practically like brothers. Maybe he'll invite me to Kona with him?

and

Originally posted by marcag Kona is going to belong to Canada for the next 13 or 14 years. First Tremblant 70.3, now Kona.

Just stop - you guys are killing me with this Sanders stuff! Too funny! 

Edited by TankBoy 2014-10-17 7:49 AM

2014-10-17 7:49 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by marcag this one cracked me up Initially I had intended on doing a 21.5 mile run workout (34km). But, I was still feeling very good around 18 miles, so I decided to tack on a couple more intervals and run a marathon. Once I got to the marathon, I was still feeling good and decided to run 28.1 miles (approximately 45k). What’s funny is that I was still feeling good then, and the thought of running 50 kilometers actually popped into my head. I was running on a different treadmill than I am used to though, and decided to err on the side of caution The problem with us AGers is we aren't cautious enough :-)

Don't give Nicole any ideas. You know she gets kinda crazy in the fall.

I already did this.

2014-10-17 8:02 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marcag this one cracked me up Initially I had intended on doing a 21.5 mile run workout (34km). But, I was still feeling very good around 18 miles, so I decided to tack on a couple more intervals and run a marathon. Once I got to the marathon, I was still feeling good and decided to run 28.1 miles (approximately 45k). What’s funny is that I was still feeling good then, and the thought of running 50 kilometers actually popped into my head. I was running on a different treadmill than I am used to though, and decided to err on the side of caution The problem with us AGers is we aren't cautious enough :-)

I already did this.

You ran a marathon on a treadmill or gave Nicole crazy ideas ?
2014-10-17 8:05 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by brigby1

I already did this.

You ran a marathon on a treadmill or gave Nicole crazy ideas ?

The bolded part.

Edited by brigby1 2014-10-17 8:06 AM
2014-10-17 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I actually ran on a treadmill on Monday....and it was Marc's crazy idea, in fact!  I looked back at my logs -- I hadn't been on a treadmill since June (for one run), and back in March before that (again for one run). 

I try to keep my crazy ideas to the bike.  I'm doing a run focus through the middle of January....I think it should end just in time for the Tour of Sufferlandria -- that'll be the start of my build for an April HIM

2014-10-17 9:49 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag this guy is great http://lsanderstri.com/2014/10/10/kona-update-1/I suspect that if someone without a swim background can win Kona, this guy can He does his running on a treadmill and I think bikes on a trainer.

Really hope the Colonel does well in the next couple of years - as Rusty said, IM Florida should be really interesting.  I wonder what he'll be able to find in the swim this winter, or if he's forever going to be like Keinle where you lose a chunk in the water and then have to make it all up.  The difference appears to be that Lionel can do it on the bike, and then just lump even more on in the run, whereas Sebastien runs well enough to hold people off, but if he's not in the lead it's unlikely he can run people down.

2014-10-17 10:25 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Okay, I'm just reading the blog post and I can assure you that I'm not crazy enough to run on a treadmill when in HAWAII!!!

2014-10-17 12:57 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I do the vast majority of my trainer rides in aero.  I live and train in Houston, which is basically pancake flat and can be quite windy -- it's pretty rare (outside of stoplights / stop signs) that I would need to be out of aero, so I generally find it to be quite comfortable.  Also, since I rarely ride out of aero (unless I'm climbing, which probably means I'm at some destination race!), my hands feel the effects of holding my body upright after quite short periods of time. 

And finally, since I ride in aero almost all of the time, I have exactly the opposite problem that Ben (and probably everyone else) does.  My power is noticeably lower when I'm up on the horns.  For me, there is little benefit (or enjoyment) in being out of aero, so I don't do it, not even on the trainer

Tab is in aero on the trainer all the time too and outside she's waaaay better at staying in aero on climbs than I am.  If we are doing intervals on the trainer, she's in aero for the work and might sit up to recover.  I sit up for the interval and recover in aero.

When we are in California in Feb, we have fit appts at ERO sports.  Not doing the whole velodrome aero testing thing, just a fit on their fit bikes to see if a) we've got the right bikes b) the fit could be improved

2014-10-17 2:28 PM

User image

I do the vast majority of my trainer rides in aero.  I live and train in Houston, which is basically pancake flat and can be quite windy -- it's pretty rare (outside of stoplights / stop signs) that I would need to be out of aero, so I generally find it to be quite comfortable.  Also, since I rarely ride out of aero (unless I'm climbing, which probably means I'm at some destination race!), my hands feel the effects of holding my body upright after quite short periods of time. 

And finally, since I ride in aero almost all of the time, I have exactly the opposite problem that Ben (and probably everyone else) does.  My power is noticeably lower when I'm up on the horns.  For me, there is little benefit (or enjoyment) in being out of aero, so I don't do it, not even on the trainer

Tab is in aero on the trainer all the time too and outside she's waaaay better at staying in aero on climbs than I am.  If we are doing intervals on the trainer, she's in aero for the work and might sit up to recover.  I sit up for the interval and recover in aero.

When we are in California in Feb, we have fit appts at ERO sports.  Not doing the whole velodrome aero testing thing, just a fit on their fit bikes to see if a) we've got the right bikes b) the fit could be improved

Nice, are you seeing Jim Manton at ERO or another fitter?  They're all good, but Jim's the man.   ERO is 20 minutes from my house.....

Edited by ChrisM 2014-10-17 2:28 PM
2014-10-17 2:30 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

OK - let's be honest. I can't be the only one in the group hoping you both need new bikes, right?

2014-10-17 2:31 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

The new Pan Am Velodrome will be open in Milton at the end of November.  I asked Steve Bauer about doing any aero testing, and he looked at me like I asked if he had ever ridden on the moon...I thought it was a valid question given the Cdn National Team used that Velodrome in California in the past.  Oh well.

2014-10-17 2:40 PM

User image

OK - let's be honest. I can't be the only one in the group hoping you both need new bikes, right?

I can't remember what Tab rides, but Arend's old P3 might be due for an upgrade...LOL.  Speaking of which...I'm still on an '07 P2.

2014-10-17 3:04 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Well, here is the damage after 1 month of completely unstructured training, no swimming (and honestly about 3 weeks of that without hardly any real training due to travel and illness):

Weight: up 6.5% (hey - that is better than I thought it would be!)

T-Pace: 1:34/100y (up from 1:29)

Steady State effort: 7:08/mile on hilly terrain, was around 6:45 on similar prior to the layoff.

Base effort power: guessing maybe a 10w drop off, based on some short intervals on the trainer yesterday.

Some of that is jet lag, some detraining, some uncoupling. Hopefully I can get back on the horse a little more consistently through the end of the year - that would be a first for me in a long time - the wheels usually fly off work and travel-wise between now and mid-december. If I do what I am suppose to I am going to start a really legit strength block beginning in November - like seriously a "go-to the-gym-and-lift-weights" kinda block. That has never been my thing, but I am going to give it a whirl. Again, if I do what I am supposed to do.

2014-10-17 3:08 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

Nice, are you seeing Jim Manton at ERO or another fitter?  They're all good, but Jim's the man.   ERO is 20 minutes from my house.....

Yup, Jim.  Costs a bit more for him but he does seem like the man for sure!  You have dinner plans for Feb 20th? LOL

Originally posted by Jason N

I can't remember what Tab rides, but Arend's old P3 might be due for an upgrade...LOL.  Speaking of which...I'm still on an '07 P2.

Tab is on a Slice.  We are polar opposites when it comes to bikes - my P3 is a 54, her Slice is a 58 - I'm almost 2 inches taller than her.  I can barely reach the pedals when I get on her bike!

I'm hoping the P3 is the right size and I can just sex it up with some upgrades.  New aerobar, faster fork maybe?  Omega brakes.

Or maybe just a new bike!

2014-10-17 3:09 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

...Speaking of which...I'm still on an '07 P2.

Dude, that bike changed the game for good.

2014-10-17 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yup, Jim.  Costs a bit more for him but he does seem like the man for sure!  You have dinner plans for Feb 20th? LOL

Tab is on a Slice.  We are polar opposites when it comes to bikes - my P3 is a 54, her Slice is a 58 - I'm almost 2 inches taller than her.  I can barely reach the pedals when I get on her bike!

I'm hoping the P3 is the right size and I can just sex it up with some upgrades.  New aerobar, faster fork maybe?  Omega brakes.

When are you in California ?

At one point I thought I had sold my BMC. I was going to go back to my 09 P2. I had PM'd with Damon Rinard and he said I could get my P2 as fast as my TM01. He suggested aerobar.
I have some data somewhere about the savings of aerobars and it isn't small. But it's also not cheap :-)

Another cool upgrade is wireless SRAM when it comes out. No cables !!!

2014-10-17 3:23 PM

Master
, California

This explains why you swim so well.  You're like 3/4 upper body

2014-10-17 3:35 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

When are you in California ? At one point I thought I had sold my BMC. I was going to go back to my 09 P2. I had PM'd with Damon Rinard and he said I could get my P2 as fast as my TM01. He suggested aerobar. I have some data somewhere about the savings of aerobars and it isn't small. But it's also not cheap :-) Another cool upgrade is wireless SRAM when it comes out. No cables !!!

I am reasonably sure the Felt is faster, but I never had ANY issues with my 09 P2c - I love, love, love that bike. In fact I had it all torn down and ready to completely tweak it when JT came in to our shop and asked me what in the world I was doing. I told her about the custom paint job I was going to do (match my S2, which I think is lovely), and all the new parts I was going to buy, but when I also told her I was going to drill out the top tube she said, "No way! - you don't have time for all that - and you are probably going to kill yourself if you do, so you are buying a new bike." So I got a new bike instead. I swear though I am going to repaint and build up that P2. I mean I already have the omegas sitting in a box.... hmmm.

2014-10-17 3:37 PM

User image

If I have plans I'll break 'em      Seriously though, you guys bringing the bikes?  A little cold for an ocean swim in Feb so biking and running is it 

Been meaning to contact ERO as I need a follow up for next year, if I ever figure out what it is I am going to do

2014-10-17 4:30 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

If I have plans I'll break 'em      Seriously though, you guys bringing the bikes?  A little cold for an ocean swim in Feb so biking and running is it 

Been meaning to contact ERO as I need a follow up for next year, if I ever figure out what it is I am going to do

Planning on taking the road bikes to get some riding in.  We have a place booked in Santa Barbara for a few days.  The fitting is the day before we leave.

Marc, we are going mid February.  Staying overnight in Montreal on the way down - flying on Aeroplan points so we had to be creative with the flight schedule.

2014-10-17 4:34 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

When are you in California ? At one point I thought I had sold my BMC. I was going to go back to my 09 P2. I had PM'd with Damon Rinard and he said I could get my P2 as fast as my TM01. He suggested aerobar. I have some data somewhere about the savings of aerobars and it isn't small. But it's also not cheap :-) Another cool upgrade is wireless SRAM when it comes out. No cables !!!

I am reasonably sure the Felt is faster, but I never had ANY issues with my 09 P2c - I love, love, love that bike. In fact I had it all torn down and ready to completely tweak it when JT came in to our shop and asked me what in the world I was doing. I told her about the custom paint job I was going to do (match my S2, which I think is lovely), and all the new parts I was going to buy, but when I also told her I was going to drill out the top tube she said, "No way! - you don't have time for all that - and you are probably going to kill yourself if you do, so you are buying a new bike." So I got a new bike instead. I swear though I am going to repaint and build up that P2. I mean I already have the omegas sitting in a box.... hmmm.

I would be completely ok with keeping the P3, I love it.  I've just been a bit leery of putting too much money into it as I sometimes question if it's a bit too small for me.  If it does turn out to be ok, I would probably start doing some research on aerobar options.

2014-10-17 4:37 PM

User image

Planning on taking the road bikes to get some riding in.  We have a place booked in Santa Barbara for a few days.  The fitting is the day before we leave.

Marc, we are going mid February.  Staying overnight in Montreal on the way down - flying on Aeroplan points so we had to be creative with the flight schedule.

Google Gibraltar Road      Always wanted to do that ride.  

2014-10-17 4:38 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

This explains why you swim so well.  You're like 3/4 upper body

I've got the 7 foot wingspan thing going on (not quite...).  I rode her bike for about 2 kms once and I couldn't figure out how she got her elbows on the arm rests.  In my normal position it would probably be my lower ribcage on them.  

2014-10-17 4:43 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Google Gibraltar Road      Always wanted to do that ride.  

LOL - the first hit in Google was www.toughascent.com - I can guess what this will be like.  Or actually I probably can't!

2014-10-17 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I planned to do the same with my 09 P2.
A place in Montreal does the custom paint jobs for Cervelo which doesn't void the warranty
I wanted to do wireless SRAM to get rid of half the cables.
I will do it eventually

The aerobars he had suggested are $800-$900.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37549 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72923 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.