BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-11-13 7:32 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by ChrisM

Hasn't your coach ever heard of the off season?   sheesh!

He keeps mentioning something about beating those pesky Americans at Alcatraz...  

2014-11-13 7:58 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

He keeps mentioning something about beating those pesky Americans at Alcatraz...  

pfffffft, how hard can that be ?
2014-11-13 8:33 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Since Jason has most certainly been wondering, a few snowflakes were falling on this morning's run.

2014-11-13 8:39 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Can you all believe that for a brief moment this morning I was looking at charity slots for Alcatraz? Good grief, the power of this group...
2014-11-13 8:44 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy Can you all believe that for a brief moment this morning I was looking at charity slots for Alcatraz? Good grief, the power of this group...

How brief? long enough to sign up?  

2014-11-13 9:03 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by brigby1

Since Jason has most certainly been wondering, a few snowflakes were falling on this morning's run.

I had to snowblow 12" of those flakes on Tues

2014-11-13 9:05 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by TankBoy

Can you all believe that for a brief moment this morning I was looking at charity slots for Alcatraz? Good grief, the power of this group...

They have a charity slot? Not good...... I need to quickly sign up for another race to remove this temptation.
2014-11-13 9:06 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by TankBoy Can you all believe that for a brief moment this morning I was looking at charity slots for Alcatraz? Good grief, the power of this group...
They have a charity slot? Not good...... I need to quickly sign up for another race to remove this temptation.

http://www.escapefromalcatraztriathlon.com/Register/Charity_Race_Slots.htm

2014-11-13 9:07 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ha.... you should shoveled. But how's the foot?
2014-11-13 9:30 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Originally posted by Birkierunner

You got 12 inches of snow already? I thought we had it rough. Impressive.
2014-11-13 9:49 AM
in reply to: rsmoylan

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rsmoylan
Originally posted by Birkierunner

You got 12 inches of snow already? I thought we had it rough. Impressive.

I just thought it felt nice to be outside today?

2014-11-13 10:00 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by BrotherTri Ha.... you should shoveled. But how's the foot?

When you have an 80 yd driveway and a bunch of walkways to dog kennels and horse pastures on 10 acres you don't do much hand shoveling other than steps and decks

The foot is coming along but I've been slacking on wearing the protective boot and am prolonging recovery a bit.  Swimming is no problem and I'll give the bike an easy sping today to test it out. 

2014-11-13 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Enough Escape from Alcatraz -- who wants to do Leadman this year? 

The date hasn't been announced yet, but it's been mid-September the last two years, so I'm assuming it'll be around then in 2015 as well.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what races to do next year.  I did three HIM's, each 8-10 weeks apart, this season and don't want to do that again.  But it seems that all the races I'd be interested in seem to fall within ~12 weeks of Galveston 70.3. 

2014-11-13 1:37 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

We just had a 9am fire drill at our office.  The smart people brought their umbrellas with them...because it was a little hot with the sun out.

2014-11-13 2:31 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
I am sure that this has been covered, but I was curious about nutrition for a full IM. I am going to be doing my first next year, and I know that it is a personal thing. I plan to practice a bunch on training rides and runs. I was just curious about what everyone does for the bike specifically. My interest is primarily:

How many calories?
What is your source/brands etc?
What is your setup? Where on your bike do you have your bottles?
How do you "live off the course"?

If this has been covered within this group; would you please point me to around where in the pages? Thanks so much.

Cheers
2014-11-13 4:37 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Scott, you are smart to practice lots and experiment to see what works best for you.  I did my one and only IM in 2012 and sort of winged it.  I had tried things out in training (sort of) and had an idea of what I was going to aim to take in but to be honest I got lucky and sort of got away with it.  

I honestly forget what I was shooting for as far as the number of calories but I had a mix of things on me to avoid getting sick of the same thing for hours on end. I knew the race was going to be using Honey Stinger waffles and gels so I at least trained with those as much as I could in order to live off the course once I ran out of what I was carrying with me.  I started the bike with a bottle between my arms and another bottle behind the saddle.  I also had a bento box on my top tube with some solid food in it.  At aid stations I grabbed either water or perform depending on what I needed at the time.

Others will likely chime in with better advice.  The best I can offer you is "don't be me".   

2014-11-14 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Scott,
Your on the right track by testing. Ironman is a pacing race imo. Calories per individuals vary greatly, from 250-400 per hour. I take in about 300-350. I can eat or drink just about anything so I am lucky. Not getting into brands but I use typically use gu's based products 3-4 per hour but also use gummies like shot blocks. Those are typically 3 to 1. Most gu's are 90-110 cals. I also eat bananas on the course and bring fig newtons. It's all just calories to me, so if I get close to 300-350 I am usually good. The biggest thing is to get hydrated and stay hydrated. That swim will put a lot of water out of you and you don't realize it. Ironman nutrition is very much about hydration as well. For me staying top off early is key. i.e. 1 gu just before swim start, 1 gu running into T1 and then drink 24oz of HEED in the frist 5-8 miles. I typically start with 2 bottles discard 1 at the frist aid station and pull from the 2nd aid station. So I usually only have 1 bottle on my aero bar and a empty cage on the frame. I don't run duel cages behind the seat. I have my spare tubbie there. This can be a risky set up, because if you drop your only bottle you are sol. If the weather is hot I carry 2 bottles. I get my electrolytes usually through my shot bloks and more in hotter weather. On the bike I am staying fueled and hydrated for the run. I also stay off caffeine until the run. The run I pretty much gu's, water, coke maybe a banana and a hand full of pretzels.
2014-11-14 12:12 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by rsmoylan I am sure that this has been covered, but I was curious about nutrition for a full IM. I am going to be doing my first next year, and I know that it is a personal thing. I plan to practice a bunch on training rides and runs. I was just curious about what everyone does for the bike specifically. My interest is primarily: How many calories? What is your source/brands etc? What is your setup? Where on your bike do you have your bottles? How do you "live off the course"? If this has been covered within this group; would you please point me to around where in the pages? Thanks so much. Cheers

My setup is just a torpedo bottle up front and a single behind the seat bottle.  For training sometimes I'll put a dual cage behind the seat.  I converted my P4 bottle into my toolkit.

Sometimes for longer training rides I'll mix one bottle normal and one with extra calories.  Then I plan my route so I pass a water fountain at a distance where I want to refill.  Pour half the strong bottle into the other, then top off both with water.  That way I don't have to cart around so many bottles.

2014-11-14 2:23 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

The date hasn't been announced yet, but it's been mid-September the last two years, so I'm assuming it'll be around then in 2015 as well.

I'm having a really hard time figuring out what races to do next year.  I did three HIM's, each 8-10 weeks apart, this season and don't want to do that again.  But it seems that all the races I'd be interested in seem to fall within ~12 weeks of Galveston 70.3. 

Leadman is still on my list but not next year.  I'm still wide open on what I do after Alcatraz next year - considering just sticking to local short course stuff with some bike races mixed in.

2014-11-14 3:40 PM

User image

Leadman is still on my list but not next year.  I'm still wide open on what I do after Alcatraz next year - considering just sticking to local short course stuff with some bike races mixed in.

Same here.  I plan to do a couple of short course races next year as I "slowly" get myself back into swimming and running.  Still focusing on bike races though.  Keeping my options open for long course in 2016...which would likely include Honu...and if all goes well, I'd keep my options open for Leadman.  There seems to be some talk of a few people I know considering Whistler for 2016...so I may jump on that as an alternative for a late summer finale.

2014-11-14 3:40 PM

User image

Same here.  I plan to do a couple of short course races next year as I "slowly" get myself back into swimming and running.  Still focusing on bike races though.  Keeping my options open for long course in 2016...which would likely include Honu...and if all goes well, I'd keep my options open for Leadman.  There seems to be some talk of a few people I know considering Whistler for 2016...so I may jump on that as an alternative for a late summer finale.

2014-11-14 5:48 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Seattle

I'd go to Bend just to drink the beer and play in the mountains! 

2014-11-15 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by marcag

pfffffft, how hard can that be ?

Good question, however [checking the record book] looks like current standings are America 1, Canada 0......

In complete seriousness though, to show some love to our notherly, colder brethren in a show of mentor group detente, herein are my personal recommendations based on 2014

Swim

Don't believe the hype.   You know how people talk up races like "hardest ever," "coldest water," etc?  Same here.   Water's actually very warm.   Don't bother training in or even bringing a wetsuit, won't be wetsuit legal (all those race photos are from the colder March 2013 race, little known fact).

Whatever you do, don't train in chop.  It's like a pool out there.

Sighting, blah blah.   Just aim for the big orange bridge.   You will hit land.    Eventually.   And they may not speak your language.  

On the boat, eat as much as you possibly can.   Saves time later stopping at aid stations.  Aim for 2,000 calories on the boat ride over.

Transition 1

SPRINT the entire T1 or you will lose the race before it almost begins.   Best to run in flip flops here.  

Bike 

Flat and aero as can be.  I recommend removing the 39 chainring (or the 34 for you weaklings with baby... i mean compact.. cranks), and go with an 11-20 10 speed cassette.  I know they don't make it, make your own.  Or better yet, an 11-14 with seven 11 tooth cogs.  All you need.   Trust me (I'm a lawyer, would I lie?)

Run 

Oddly though it is an out and back, it's all downhill.   Not sure how they did that but the course director is a genius.   

Sand ladder is more like a little sand dune.  Like T1, sprint the sand section, you'll make up a lot of spots.  

I am sure I'll think of more, but if you just do the above, you'll have  race to remember!

Edited by ChrisM 2014-11-15 1:04 PM
2014-11-16 5:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by rsmoylan

I am sure that this has been covered, but I was curious about nutrition for a full IM. I am going to be doing my first next year, and I know that it is a personal thing. I plan to practice a bunch on training rides and runs. I was just curious about what everyone does for the bike specifically. My interest is primarily:

How many calories?
What is your source/brands etc?
What is your setup? Where on your bike do you have your bottles?
How do you "live off the course"?

If this has been covered within this group; would you please point me to around where in the pages? Thanks so much.

Cheers

Scott,

I am not qualified to speak about IM since I have never done one. I can make comments on what I would do.

YesterdayI listened to a podcast with the guy that won IM Chatanooga (sp?). He seems pretty smart and one comment he made about nutrition is to not listen to anyone else's nutrition plan :-) I believe him. We are very individual.

I know for scientic fact, that too much is as bad as too little.
If you plan to live off the course it is critical to experiment with what you will use. There are ingredients they use for quick absorbtion that some people are intolerant to.
Remember that next year, IM is moving away from Perform. This sounds like a universally applauded move.
I would try to get an idea of my sweat rate. Do not be guided by it, but be aware.
I use a bottle on the front and a bottle on the rear. The rear is usually empty but I use it to pick up a bottle if the front is not empty yet. So I usually have max 1.5 full bottles with me
On a flat course I use a Torhans, on a hill course I use a BTA
Calories from Cliff blocks are my favorite. I need fewer calories than most but I have been tested to confirm this. 300-400 sounds like the point most agree with.
I have a Salt Stick Dispenser on my cockpit. If I use lots of water, I use the Salt sticks for electrolye balancing.
There are some really good race reports on nutrition. Look for the stuff BrianPBN posted on ST especially with Jordan. He gives a lot of detail and he knows his stuff.

A friend who I will be helping this winter had a metabolic test done. He is 100% carb user, even at low intensity. It will be interesting to see how much of that can change.

Edited by marcag 2014-11-16 5:44 AM
2014-11-16 5:46 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcagOn a flat course I use a Torhans, on a hill course I use a BTA  

Interesting, what's the thought behind this?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37549 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72925 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.