BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-11-19 1:27 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by BrotherTri I did a cold run this AM. At mile 3 I thought it was a bad idea but got thought it. Wind chill was 9 degrees. How's everybody doing in the colder weather?

I'm doing fine (go back to podiatrist tomorrow for stress fracture)...my propane boiler for my house's radiant heat system/domestic hot water on the other hand is not doing so well....it died on Sunday and $5500 later it will be replaced tomorrow.  Heating with wood and space heaters at the moment which is challenging with our sub-zero nights this week

2014-11-19 2:54 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Has anyone in the group had Lasik eye surgery?  It's something I've always considered, and dust in my eyes while riding is becoming a bigger issue for me when getting on my contact lenses.

I am nearsighted, and can't safely drive or ride without corrective lenses.

2014-11-19 4:57 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by BrotherTri I did a cold run this AM. At mile 3 I thought it was a bad idea but got thought it. Wind chill was 9 degrees. How's everybody doing in the colder weather?

I'm doing fine (go back to podiatrist tomorrow for stress fracture)...my propane boiler for my house's radiant heat system/domestic hot water on the other hand is not doing so well....it died on Sunday and $5500 later it will be replaced tomorrow.  Heating with wood and space heaters at the moment which is challenging with our sub-zero nights this week

Oh no!  

2014-11-19 5:03 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Has anyone in the group had Lasik eye surgery?  It's something I've always considered, and dust in my eyes while riding is becoming a bigger issue for me when getting on my contact lenses.

I'm nearsighted too, can't drive but I do ride without glasses/contacts sometimes.

I almost did it a couple of years ago.  I got as far as going for the free evaluation and then towards the end of that it was mentioned that I might end up needing reading glasses by the time I was in my early 40s (I would have been 37 at the time).  So basically I would have paid quite a bit for the chance that in 5-7 years I would be using glasses again.  So that, the fact that my eyesight isn't too bad and the fact that my mother had a really hard time after her surgery (albeit 20 years ago) I decided it wasn't worth it for me.

I know several people who had it done and love the results.

2014-11-19 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Birkierunner
Heating with wood and space heaters at the moment which is challenging with our sub-zero nights this week

3 dog night ?
2014-11-19 5:50 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
, California

Originally posted by axteraa

I'm nearsighted too, can't drive but I do ride without glasses/contacts sometimes.

I almost did it a couple of years ago.  I got as far as going for the free evaluation and then towards the end of that it was mentioned that I might end up needing reading glasses by the time I was in my early 40s (I would have been 37 at the time).  So basically I would have paid quite a bit for the chance that in 5-7 years I would be using glasses again.  So that, the fact that my eyesight isn't too bad and the fact that my mother had a really hard time after her surgery (albeit 20 years ago) I decided it wasn't worth it for me.

I know several people who had it done and love the results.

If you don't go that route, several companies make prescription sports sunglasses...

http://rx.oakley.com/

http://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/filter/category/sunglasses/sub/rx-collection/limit/24

.. probably others

2014-11-21 10:02 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

I need your collective wisdom. Or just support. Had a very long and busy season as you know, and really needed time off. Trouble is, I am finding it hard to balance a retreat from structure and keeping my sanity. Weight is already up 4-5 pounds, and rather than being OK with it, I fear it's a slide back up the scale to super Clyde status. Add very hi stress levels at work, and emotional eating (and, frankly beer drinkng) . Raced at 195 is this year, am 201 this morning. Not sure this is anything more than a vent, but really finding this unstructured time off rather unsettling. I think I need to ask Shane to start populating my training peaks account ...
2014-11-21 10:10 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

If you need some basic structure but don't want a full on plan yet, just ask him for rougher guidelines for now.  That's pretty much what I did when I was in France for 3 weeks earlier in the year.  He put workouts in place knowing that they were highly unlikely to be followed exactly as is.  So I ended up with a plan for the week but then he told me some guidelines like try to fit in workout X at some point but make sure it's not back to back with workout Y and things like that.

2014-11-21 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

But is adding load, in a period you need rest and recovery, to control the net calories not counter productive ?

I struggle with weight this time of year. I do weigh myself daily, it's part of my TP dashboard and i do not let myself go beyond a certain weight. By far, the hardest part is Christmas and i know I have to stay at X because it will be X+5 after christmas. This year I am shooting for X+2 :-)

MyFitnessPal helps micromanaging it.

2014-11-21 10:32 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Yeah, I am on mfp. But I don't seem to be motivated to actually limit my calories. But I FULLY accept this is a choice I am making (even though it doesn't always feel like it) I am amazed at the guys that can seemingly just gain 10-15 pounds in the off season without worry that it's not going to stay. It freaks me out. I think it's (exercise) a mix of calorie control but also stress relief and endorphin producton. I tend to get down and depressed when I can't train due to injury so to take voluntary time off just seems strange. I am trying to do other things, paddling etc, that I couldn't find the time to do in season.
2014-11-21 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I wasn't thinking load so much as just activity.  I guess my example is different in that I was trying to minimize fitness loss so there were still some attempts at actual workouts.

2014-11-21 11:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

Might not be too much different from what Arend said, but I don't go entirely unstructured. Not in the sense of waiting until the day or time of to figure out what to do. Just have a lot less to do overall. Tends to be easier things. Still watch the hard and easy, big and small, but more in the sense of doing too much together and tiring out as opposed to designing it to push up fitness. I may swap things around, and have done so quite a bit at times. It helps to have something there in the first place though, then I have to make a decision on it.

2014-11-21 12:54 PM

User image

Chris...my advice is to just stay active.  Go paddle boarding, hiking, and what not.  Go for some easy rides, or explore new roads that you would normally not ride when "training."  Sometimes I just spin through residential areas just to check them out.  Not ideal when the training plan calls for 275 watt intervals...but pretty relaxing when you're just cruising at 150w.

I found for myself that you can still burn a lot of calories while keeping the training load down.  You just have to go a lot easier, and a lot longer.  So I also started going to the gym and cruising on the eliptical while watching football.  I figure I should be watching more football during my off season...but at least I get a little calorie burn, and less chance of finishing a whole bag of chips in the process.  

2014-11-21 1:00 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Seattle

Chris...my advice is to just stay active.  Go paddle boarding, hiking, and what not.  Go for some easy rides, or explore new roads that you would normally not ride when "training."  Sometimes I just spin through residential areas just to check them out.  Not ideal when the training plan calls for 275 watt intervals...but pretty relaxing when you're just cruising at 150w.

I found for myself that you can still burn a lot of calories while keeping the training load down.  You just have to go a lot easier, and a lot longer.  So I also started going to the gym and cruising on the eliptical while watching football.  I figure I should be watching more football during my off season...but at least I get a little calorie burn, and less chance of finishing a whole bag of chips in the process.  

This is really similar to what I do. I don't take too many days completely off from my sport. Those days that I do, I try and do something else active for sure.

Like Jason said, it's an awesome opportunity to go explore new stuff with no pacing/time/mileage goals etc. It's also a great time to go scout out new potential training spots once you start back up again. 

I'm not one of those lucky ones who is super skinny naturally so I always have to keep my diet in check. Luckily I enjoy healthy food and it's pretty much the staple of my diet. So, for the most part, when my volume isn't up simply don't let myself indulge in the "fun stuff" too much. 

2014-11-21 2:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ChrisM

I need your collective wisdom. Or just support. Had a very long and busy season as you know, and really needed time off. Trouble is, I am finding it hard to balance a retreat from structure and keeping my sanity. Weight is already up 4-5 pounds, and rather than being OK with it, I fear it's a slide back up the scale to super Clyde status. Add very hi stress levels at work, and emotional eating (and, frankly beer drinkng) . Raced at 195 is this year, am 201 this morning. Not sure this is anything more than a vent, but really finding this unstructured time off rather unsettling. I think I need to ask Shane to start populating my training peaks account ...

Chris,

Lots of GREAT advice post here, so plenty to chose from. You are coached, so what does he say?

My idea is unstructured training and do what ever you want to do. But do something every day. Cut back the calories by eating more salads. Stop drinking and forget the stress. A lot of work stress is are own. One thing not mention is weight training. Do legs; quads, hamstrings, gluts and core. Upper body do; chest, biceps, back and shoulders. Then you can also take up ball room dancing.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-11-21 2:32 PM
2014-11-22 6:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-11-22 6:04 AM
in reply to: Fred D

2014-11-22 10:39 AM

Master
, California

Sorry Fred... despite being a software engineer, I really don't know much about course video software that's out there.  But I'll look into it.

The ST poster who mentioned ERG mode is right... for weekday coached workouts.  But for a long weekend ride on the trainer, the setup you're talking about would be awesome for oh about... November through April for me

2014-11-22 1:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
I would approach it this way. Forget about the h/w s/w side of it for now.

What do you enjoy or what is ideal depending on the workout ? And what kind of workouts will you do ?

For example, me, on a hard VO2 type workout I don't need or want video. Music absolutely. So I usually watch the news during warmup, switch to music for the hard intervals and then back to some TV or short youtube video for the cool down.

Longer boring rides, I will do one of two things. Set the CT in erg mode and watch Netflix or run an ErgVideo while listening to a podcast. I ride the Tremblant Ergvideo the most.

I run a two screen setup, one with the workout the other with the multimedia being video, or music

For me, having a 65 inch screen would be useless. Because most of my trainer workouts are intense and I prefer to just close my eyes in Erg mode, listen to the music and pray for the end of the interval.

But you might prefer to not ride in Erg mode, controlling the power on your own. In a case like this, I can't focus on TV or a podcast, which is why I love Erg. Also you can microdose the Erg sessions to completely empty the tank, but very evenly.

If you figure out what you plan to listen/watch and then when you can pick the infrastructure to do it.

If you are an apple guy, AppleTV combined with ITunes combined with Golden Cheetah controlling the CT is a great combo. But do you want regular TV ?

But first figure out what you plan to listen to and when, then pick the setup. If you watch Youtube it is different than wanting to watch NBA games.
Do you need DVR, TV, is online good enough.....

PS : for Shane's workouts, an Erg file/Erg mode for sure is the way to go.

So, figure out what content you want, figure how you want to ride, then buy the equipment to support that. Can help you there, I think I have bought it all :-)

PS : don't forget audio. With big fans, audio is really important. I am going to play with noise cancellation stuff

Edited by marcag 2014-11-22 1:46 PM
2014-11-22 2:44 PM

2014-11-22 2:45 PM

Edited by Fred D 2014-11-22 2:45 PM

2014-11-22 2:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

Marc, thanks for Chiming in!

Yes, all good thoughts. I was looking to move away from ERG mode as I believe it is better to be able to push the interval on your own, rather than have the CT 'make' me do it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm looking for a change from the standard ERG mode stuff.

Many workouts I do with Shane will be at higher intensity, but having used the ERG VIDEOs in the past that work with the CT, I can tell you I liked the concept of seeing the real riders ahead of me, as I often train in the dark at 5am... just something to raise the interest level...

Most workouts favor Sweet spot and FTP work, which I can definitely watch the big screen for.

Have you had any experience with Sufferfest videos working with the PerfPro software (I would have to buy a cheap PC laptop)? Look like there are enough videos to allow the creation of workouts, i.e., the ERG VIDEO model allowed you to parse the video and set the session for what you needed.

Looking at all options.

You can do Sufferfest with Golden Cheetah on Mac. I have done this. Is there something special about Perfpro ?

You basically have an Erg file for every Sufferfest video and it "suggests" a power level for each step. You are free to ride above or under that level.
2014-11-22 3:01 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Hey, the Polar V800 is getting really cool with the latest updates!

Here is a swim from this am, where you can break down each set (the 300s, for example) and see what your times were for each 25.

Here:

Hmm, that IS pretty cool!  I assume you are hitting lap at the end of each interval and it's figuring out the 25s on it's own?

2014-11-22 3:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Hey, the Polar V800 is getting really cool with the latest updates!

Here is a swim from this am, where you can break down each set (the 300s, for example) and see what your times were for each 25.

Here:

Hmm, that IS pretty cool!  I assume you are hitting lap at the end of each interval and it's figuring out the 25s on it's own?

The 910xt does this as well.
No need to press interval, the watches figure it out by itself. It can also detect changes in strokes.
2014-11-22 3:59 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37219 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72637 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.