BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-11-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-11-22 6:36 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Fred, I don't really have much input on the man cave other than to say I agree with Marc about the audio.  Tab and I ride with two trainers at the same time and we sometimes have to crank the volume on the TV to sort of hear it.  I think if I was building a room, I would do something with a quality sound system - surround sound and the like.  You know, so when those online head to head racing apps get to the point where everyone is wearing a headset and if someone is behind you on your left and they talk, the sound comes from the speaker behind you on your left.  

2014-11-22 6:38 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Fred D

Hey, the Polar V800 is getting really cool with the latest updates!

Here is a swim from this am, where you can break down each set (the 300s, for example) and see what your times were for each 25.

Here:

Hmm, that IS pretty cool!  I assume you are hitting lap at the end of each interval and it's figuring out the 25s on it's own?

The 910xt does this as well. No need to press interval, the watches figure it out by itself. It can also detect changes in strokes.

Interesting.  I always thought you had to hit lap at the end of each repeat.

Marc as (I think) you posted in a thread earlier in the week, the swimmer in me still says "No watch!".   

2014-11-22 6:53 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag

Hey, the Polar V800 is getting really cool with the latest updates!

Here is a swim from this am, where you can break down each set (the 300s, for example) and see what your times were for each 25.

Here:

Hmm, that IS pretty cool!  I assume you are hitting lap at the end of each interval and it's figuring out the 25s on it's own?

The 910xt does this as well. No need to press interval, the watches figure it out by itself. It can also detect changes in strokes.

Interesting.  I always thought you had to hit lap at the end of each repeat.

Marc as (I think) you posted in a thread earlier in the week, the swimmer in me still says "No watch!".   

Sorry you are right. You do have to hit the button at each end of interval but not at each flip turn to figure out speed per 25m (or 50 in LC)

The swimsense did not require it but was less accurate. Throw in a good glide and you could fool it.

I did a swim meet today. They politely told a guy he would be DQ'd in the future if he wore a watch (which he did). They were much nicer than the SOB who DQ'd me for shaking my arm.

The officials at this meet are much nicer. They even serve snacks. People walking around the deck with a plate of snacks. Very cool.
2014-11-22 7:07 PM

Extreme Veteran

Origina You can do Sufferfest with Golden Cheetah on Mac. I have done this. Is there something special about Perfpro ? You basically have an Erg file for every Sufferfest video and it "suggests" a power level for each step. You are free to ride above or under that level.

I don't know, as PerfPro got recommended on ST.

Does Golden Cheetah 'control' the computrainer with the videos (i.e.; make the hard efforts hard)?

Or is the video more of a follow along thing?

So what would be perfect for you is to load an erg file for the little silver racer guy and you chase him. If you don;t hit his power targets, you get dropped. If you surpass his power targets you ride away.

For a sufferfest session, you probably want Golden Cheetah reading your powertap, and giving you power targets, that you decide to hit or surpass.
The CT is in slope mode, not in erg mode. You are not really using the benefit of a CT, but it's what you have

Is this right ?

2014-11-23 11:50 AM

2014-11-23 11:51 AM

2014-11-23 12:13 PM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag  So what would be perfect for you is to load an erg file for the little silver racer guy and you chase him. If you don;t hit his power targets, you get dropped. If you surpass his power targets you ride away.

Agree. However, I am going to have a 65" UHDTV, and am seriously eyeballing the VeloReality site as well.

For a sufferfest session, you probably want Golden Cheetah reading your powertap, and giving you power targets, that you decide to hit or surpass. The CT is in slope mode, not in erg mode. You are not really using the benefit of a CT, but it's what you have Is this right ?

So, just to be clear, in Golden Cheetah, when I ride a file workout, will it send feedback to the CT to make the hard parts hard and easy parts easy (like ERG VIDEOS)?

Yes, basically the CT is not being controlled or measured by any software, it's just like a dumb trainer.

GC is reading the powertap and providing Visual cues of what power you should be hitting and what you are currently at. At the end of workout, in GC, press upload to TP for Shane.

99% sure this will work. I can try this week.

I did take a peek at Veloreality and will install and try it. The only downside for you is the Windows part. While scenery is nice, I am not sure it provides that push that something life Sufferfest does,

If you really need to be chasing someone, you could play this on your 65inch screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svNct734yPo

2014-11-23 12:37 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Fred, a 65" tv for a man cave just seams a little over the top. Then again prospective so if you got a 15x20 basement. I just know I would not like to see my heart rate number that big. So a you getting a weight machine and treadmill?
2014-11-23 12:46 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
btw I did a little half mary out of the box this am. Probably should have gone a little slower. But, I didn't and ran a bunch of hills. The last hill was just pain.......

Anyway what's everyone else up to?
2014-11-23 1:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2014-11-23 1:39 PM

2014-11-23 1:17 PM

2014-11-23 1:50 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Fred, I was checking out the tour de' Giro. That seamed pretty cool. I may just try it out. Not tommorrow hopefully I ride outside.
2014-11-23 4:20 PM

I was wondering why this thread was showing up out of scale on my ipad....then I realized it was Fred's gigantic TV. Even a picture of that TV is overkill...lol
2014-11-23 4:40 PM
in reply to: Jason N

2014-11-23 4:49 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

2014-11-24 5:25 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Zwift is in beta. I sign up but probably won't get accepted because I still use XP OS.
2014-11-24 9:42 AM
in reply to: 0

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Hey, I posted something on ST. I would love any input from the group!

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5342783;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

Thoughts?

Maybe show Shane some of the power profiles of the ErgVideo vids you have purchased and see if he can work them into your training plan so that you can use them regularly?  If I recall, you can edit those power profiles to fit your needs

Edited by Birkierunner 2014-11-24 10:13 AM
2014-11-24 10:40 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Hey, I posted something on ST. I would love any input from the group!

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5342783;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

Thoughts?

Maybe show Shane some of the power profiles of the ErgVideo vids you have purchased and see if he can work them into your training plan so that you can use them regularly?  If I recall, you can edit those power profiles to fit your needs

FYI, you can make custom workouts from ErgVideos. For example I can create a 23 x4.25minute @87%of FTP workout.
But I think the fundamental issue is Fred doesn't want to run in Erg Mode.

He does want the resistance of the trainer do increase as terrain increases, but he then wants to control how much power he puts down. Erg mode will force him to a power level.
2014-11-24 12:58 PM

So it rained this morning.  I got wet on my ride to work.  Hopefully it makes you folks feel better.  

Had another fun CX race on Saturday.  Finished around 9th again in no mans land.  Not close to fast enough to keep up with the first pack, but way ahead of everyone else.  Finally hit the deck for the first time on a gravel corner...nothing bad, just a few small scrapes on my knee.  Will be shopping for some new tires with a little more knobs.  

Got in a nice steady ride yesterday.  Fitness seems like it's starting to get out of the real off season funk.  Need to avoid doing too much too soon though and just keep it in base building mode.  First set of races start in March.

2014-11-24 1:38 PM

2014-11-24 2:59 PM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag] FYI, you can make custom workouts from ErgVideos. For example I can create a 23 x4.25minute @87%of FTP workout. But I think the fundamental issue is Fred doesn't want to run in Erg Mode. He does want the resistance of the trainer do increase as terrain increases, but he then wants to control how much power he puts down. Erg mode will force him to a power level.

Bingo.

Yes, I used to do custom workouts with ERG videos, it was fun, but took awhile to 'get it right' for any given workout.

Velo reality is similar I think to ERG videos, to a degree, but isn't ERG mode dependent.

I'm not totally sure what I am going to do at this stage... part of just wants to wait for ZWIFT to come out, but it might be all hype?

The 'Tour De Giro' video quality is too low for my beloved new TV (Which I just ordered... went on a big sale over this weekend!

Until I settle I will likely just run stand alone ERG mode and watch movies about bicycling girls butts?

What is holding you back from Veloreality ? Windows ?

It think TDG and Zwift will be cool for riding with other people, but I don't see how it will make for a better structured workout env than veloreality.

2014-11-24 8:09 PM

2014-11-25 7:19 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Bought another Power2max for Tab's bikes last night using their Black Friday sale.  I'm selling my old PT tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I will be able to sell hers quickly as well (anyone looking?).   Fred bought a massive TV, anyone else spending, I mean saving money?  

I did a tough VO2max workout on the trainer this morning.  I'm really starting to feel the results of the focused Vo2max training block that we are doing right now.  Hitting some higher numbers than last winter and feeling stronger at the end to finish it off.

2014-11-25 7:23 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

So it rained this morning.  I got wet on my ride to work.  Hopefully it makes you folks feel better.  

Had another fun CX race on Saturday.  Finished around 9th again in no mans land.  Not close to fast enough to keep up with the first pack, but way ahead of everyone else.  Finally hit the deck for the first time on a gravel corner...nothing bad, just a few small scrapes on my knee.  Will be shopping for some new tires with a little more knobs.  

Got in a nice steady ride yesterday.  Fitness seems like it's starting to get out of the real off season funk.  Need to avoid doing too much too soon though and just keep it in base building mode.  First set of races start in March.

I assume our CX bikes have the same tires, those things are pretty knobby already aren't they?  I guess I haven't taken them through any gravel on a corner at any sort of speed yet.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37205 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72636 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.