BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-11-25 10:03 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-11-25 10:08 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!
Originally posted by Fred D

OK, Marc (and others)... I am getting really into this PerfPro software idea.

You should check it out!

Now to buy a PC...

what does it do that Golden Cheetah doesn't ? Can you describe a usage scenario ?

for the PC, take a look at a good Mediacenter machine given where it's going to be used.
2014-11-25 10:33 AM
in reply to: marcag

2014-11-25 10:46 AM

Extreme Veteran

Controls the computrainer, which gc doesn't do. Allows integration with racermate one software. What is a media center?

Media Center is a piece of s/w that comes with Windows that allows to organize your media. It also has PVR functionality. With a Media Center remote you can flick between live TV, recorded TV, music and videos. You can schedule to record show, series etc

It's bundled with Windows, but to use it to it's fullest it needs a "tuner" in the PC to grab the TV signal and a remote.

2014-11-25 12:56 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Jason N

So it rained this morning.  I got wet on my ride to work.  Hopefully it makes you folks feel better.  

Had another fun CX race on Saturday.  Finished around 9th again in no mans land.  Not close to fast enough to keep up with the first pack, but way ahead of everyone else.  Finally hit the deck for the first time on a gravel corner...nothing bad, just a few small scrapes on my knee.  Will be shopping for some new tires with a little more knobs.  

Got in a nice steady ride yesterday.  Fitness seems like it's starting to get out of the real off season funk.  Need to avoid doing too much too soon though and just keep it in base building mode.  First set of races start in March.

I assume our CX bikes have the same tires, those things are pretty knobby already aren't they?  I guess I haven't taken them through any gravel on a corner at any sort of speed yet.  

My bike came with Schwalbe Sammy Slicks.  I think they are more meant as an all around tire for commuting.

Looking for something more like these.

2014-11-25 12:57 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Originally posted by axteraa

Bought another Power2max for Tab's bikes last night using their Black Friday sale. 

You are an evil man for making me aware of this....

2014-11-25 1:08 PM

2014-11-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Last windows/PC question (or should I say ///END THREAD? ;-)

What minimums in video cars and storage would you suggest?

You'll want a modern machine but it won't need to be a top end gaming setup.  The Zwift recommended specs are pretty reasonable, and should be fine for most other media center uses:

OSWindows 7 or higher,
*OS X 10.9 or higher
ProcessorDual Core i5 or AMD
Memory8GB
Graphics2GB Radeon R9 200 series, or NVidia GTX 650
Hard Drive4GB of free space

Edit, just an example -

I picked up an Asus Zenbook (UX51vz) not too long ago, refurbished on eBay for under $1000.  It's one of the nicer Windows laptops out there.  I can dig up other options if you want.

Edited by spudone 2014-11-25 1:29 PM
2014-11-25 1:41 PM
in reply to: spudone

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by spudone

Last windows/PC question (or should I say ///END THREAD? ;-)

What minimums in video cars and storage would you suggest?

You'll want a modern machine but it won't need to be a top end gaming setup.  The Zwift recommended specs are pretty reasonable, and should be fine for most other media center uses:

OSWindows 7 or higher,
*OS X 10.9 or higher
ProcessorDual Core i5 or AMD
Memory8GB
Graphics2GB Radeon R9 200 series, or NVidia GTX 650
Hard Drive4GB of free space

Edit, just an example -

I picked up an Asus Zenbook (UX51vz) not too long ago, refurbished on eBay for under $1000.  It's one of the nicer Windows laptops out there.  I can dig up other options if you want.

I think going with the Zwift specs or better is a great idea

I personally like an "All in One PC". It's basically a 23inch monitor and all the computer is in the monitor. There is simply a wireless keyboard and mouse.

It has USB ports for the CT and a Tuner that is connected to cable TV so the PC can record shows and play live TV.

I have a 2 monitor setup. I usually have the workout on 1 monitor and if video entertainment, on the other. Of course the 2nd monitor can be the 65inch TV.

While a laptop has the advantage of portability, the all in one has the advantage of a "big screen".
2014-11-25 2:01 PM

Master
Northern IL

You know this "all-in-one" describes an iMac, right?

2014-11-25 2:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

You know this "all-in-one" describes an iMac, right?

yes, but Fred is now the PC guy in the mac/pc commercial

But seriously does the iMac have a tuner and software to record TV on a schedule ?

hard to believe in this day and age some of the best trainer s/w isn't mac based :-(

Edited by marcag 2014-11-25 2:18 PM

2014-11-25 6:29 PM

2014-11-25 6:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
hmmmm, Golden Cheeath allows me to load a computrainer CRS file which has a bunch of distances and slopes.
Wonder what this will do. Need to test.

This is a theory of how it could work

Shane gives you
10' at 180w
4x5' at 300w with 5' recovery

So what you do is say "I have to hold 30km/h"

It converts the 10' 180w to a distance and slope that would give 10'/180w at 30km/h
It converts the 5' 300w to a distance slope that would give 5' at 30km/h

• So you need to maintain 30km/h as the slope changes. Faster you are over target and the workout ends sooner. Slower and you are under, the workout lasts longer.

Edited by marcag 2014-11-25 7:36 PM
    2014-11-25 10:40 PM

Master
    Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D The issue with Apple is that it's really good and reliable albeit overpriced. The software for niche programs with small user bases, like cycling software, it's that Mac isn't a big enough player in the world market to always be included. Ok, so I Looked at laptops and all in one's. Going to be about$700 to get the required machine... Maybe I will try the emulation software...

Yeah, I had seen that in the earlier posts. Just thought it amusing that the PC side didn't seem to have coined a term for it when Mac has had this for about 15 years now. Obviously I have a Mac at home now, but am for whatever works.

2014-11-26 6:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
    Originally posted by marcag

hmmmm, Golden Cheeath allows me to load a computrainer CRS file which has a bunch of distances and slopes.
    Wonder what this will do. Need to test.

This is a theory of how it could work

Shane gives you
    10' at 180w
    4x5' at 300w with 5' recovery

So what you do is say "I have to hold 30km/h"

It converts the 10' 180w to a distance and slope that would give 10'/180w at 30km/h
    It converts the 5' 300w to a distance slope that would give 5' at 30km/h

• So you need to maintain 30km/h as the slope changes. Faster you are over target and the workout ends sooner. Slower and you are under, the workout lasts longer.

Fred, would this be good enough for your purposes

Shane gives you a workout in the form of time + power intervals
    It gets converted t distance + slope

To meet the targets, you need to ride continously at set speed (say 20mph) despite the grade. So of course the recoveries may be downhill, the hard intervals on a very steep slope.

You have a map of the elevation in front of you and you see your progress. You know when the tougher intervals are coming, because you see the grade change.
    You also have your speed dsplayed.

You can over achieve or under achieve the targets. The CT's resistance is being changed but not ERG mode

You run this on one screen ,watch TV on the other

No need for Windows

Does this work ?

Is the scenario works, I can try it later
    2014-11-26 7:28 AM

2014-11-26 12:46 PM

So yesterday I almost get T-Boned by some lady in a mini van who thinks it's okay to rip through a right turn on red by only looking left for oncoming cross traffice instead of me...right in front of her in the cross walk.  Luckily I have good 1 second power as all I had time for was 1.5 pedal strokes, then throwing my handlebars forward (as if lunging for the line) to avoid my back wheel getting clipped.  I then proceeded to bunny hop the curb and keep it upright into a grassy area.  Driver didn't hit the brakes till after she was past me...and she only knew I was there once I gave the "Oh $hit" yell.  At least she pulled over and was extremely apologetic.

10 miles later, I'm riding with traffic...keeping up with the flow as it was a slight downhill/tailwind.  I'm going 25ish mph (in a 25 zone) and some idiot pickup truck decides to fly past me as we are approaching a red light.  His right mirror clips my left tricep and he proceeds to head towards the red light like nothing happened.  Of course I confront him, give him the WTF...and to my shock...he says it's my fault because I'm going too fast and I'm supposedly "racing" him.  It was some older guy...probably in his 60's and I was just beside myself at his reaction.  Never said sorry, once while I stood next to his mirror that was bent in.  If it wasn't a fold in mirror, I likely go down very hard.  And it's not like he was trying to squeeze past me while I was on the shoulder...I was taking the lane because there was no shoulder.  It was two lanes going our direction, and we were actually going faster than the left lane.

I'm fortunate I'm not in a hospital today, but geez...the ignorance and stupidity of people will never cease to amaze me.

2014-11-26 12:49 PM
    in reply to: Jason N

Extreme Veteran

So yesterday I almost get T-Boned by some lady in a mini van who thinks it's okay to rip through a right turn on red by only looking left for oncoming cross traffice instead of me...right in front of her in the cross walk.  Luckily I have good 1 second power as all I had time for was 1.5 pedal strokes, then throwing my handlebars forward (as if lunging for the line) to avoid my back wheel getting clipped.  I then proceeded to bunny hop the curb and keep it upright into a grassy area.  Driver didn't hit the brakes till after she was past me...and she only knew I was there once I gave the "Oh $hit" yell.  At least she pulled over and was extremely apologetic.

10 miles later, I'm riding with traffic...keeping up with the flow as it was a slight downhill/tailwind.  I'm going 25ish mph (in a 25 zone) and some idiot pickup truck decides to fly past me as we are approaching a red light.  His right mirror clips my left tricep and he proceeds to head towards the red light like nothing happened.  Of course I confront him, give him the WTF...and to my shock...he says it's my fault because I'm going too fast and I'm supposedly "racing" him.  It was some older guy...probably in his 60's and I was just beside myself at his reaction.  Never said sorry, once while I stood next to his mirror that was bent in.  If it wasn't a fold in mirror, I likely go down very hard.  And it's not like he was trying to squeeze past me while I was on the shoulder...I was taking the lane because there was no shoulder.  It was two lanes going our direction, and we were actually going faster than the left lane.

I'm fortunate I'm not in a hospital today, but geez...the ignorance and stupidity of people will never cease to amaze me.

I think you should set up a man cave and ride safe !

Seriously, glad you're ok !
    2014-11-26 12:58 PM

Extreme Veteran

I set up Veloreality.
    Very nice.
    Very simple !!

2014-11-26 1:20 PM

Originally posted by marcag  I think you should set up a man cave and ride safe ! Seriously, glad you're ok !

The last 5 miles I rode home I thought about Fred and you folks who are forced to stay off the road during this time of year...I quickly dismissed that idea.  There are idiot people all over the place, and you can't always hide from them even if you aren't on a bike.  If I were a mom pushing a stroller in the first situation with the minivan (there are a lot of joggers and stroller pushers in that area) then it likely ends up extremely bad.  

2014-11-26 3:00 PM
    in reply to: Jason N

Master
    , California

Originally posted by marcag  I think you should set up a man cave and ride safe ! Seriously, glad you're ok !

The last 5 miles I rode home I thought about Fred and you folks who are forced to stay off the road during this time of year...I quickly dismissed that idea.  There are idiot people all over the place, and you can't always hide from them even if you aren't on a bike.  If I were a mom pushing a stroller in the first situation with the minivan (there are a lot of joggers and stroller pushers in that area) then it likely ends up extremely bad.  

Contrary to popular belief, it's not the rain that bothers riders in the northwest.  It's how early it gets dark out during the offseason.  I've had enough close calls in full daylight, so I have no desire to ride at night.

The one redeeming thing in my area is that we have lots of bike lanes and paved trails.  When I'm doing IM training I can ride a good 4 hour loop containing only about 30 minutes on an actual road with cars.

2014-11-26 3:08 PM
    in reply to: spudone

Contrary to popular belief, it's not the rain that bothers riders in the northwest.  It's how early it gets dark out during the offseason.  I've had enough close calls in full daylight, so I have no desire to ride at night.

The one redeeming thing in my area is that we have lots of bike lanes and paved trails.  When I'm doing IM training I can ride a good 4 hour loop containing only about 30 minutes on an actual road with cars.

Nor is it necessarily light for us so cal'ers (although having done it, not a huge fan of riding in the dark).

I actually [gasp] enjoy the trainer during the week.  I catch up on tv series(,,,, es? what is the plural of series??) I'd missed, get a quality workout in an hour with a lot less stress than dealing with commuter traffic, stoplights, etc.

2014-11-26 3:32 PM
    in reply to: ChrisM

Yeah...I don't commute to work necessarily for the training aspect.  Most of the route is on a bike path where I'll go hard if there aren't any walkers, but generally my commute is pretty mellow for safety reasons.  The main reason I still commute by bike is traffic is absolutely miserable now for cars.  We are doing a ton of construction, including building a rail system above our busiest roads that will take another 3-4 years to complete.  My 16.5 mile commute generally takes me around 60-65 minutes including stoppage time.  My coworkers who have a similar commute distance are averaging around 80-90 minutes...bad days get have been known to go over 2 hours.  It's freaking horrible to drive these days and it will only get worse as construction enters higher traffic areas.  They just announced that one of the most congested parts of our freeway...which is 5 lanes in each direction, will be limited to 3 lanes (if not less) each way every evening as they build the rail guideway over that section of the freeway.

2014-11-26 3:48 PM

Veteran
    Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

Nor is it necessarily light for us so cal'ers (although having done it, not a huge fan of riding in the dark).

I actually [gasp] enjoy the trainer during the week.  I catch up on tv series(,,,, es? what is the plural of series??) I'd missed, get a quality workout in an hour with a lot less stress than dealing with commuter traffic, stoplights, etc.

You're not the only one who kinda likes the trainer.  In fact, I honestly don't even want to ride Sufferfest videos or "race" with various software because I enjoy my guilty pleasure tv shows that I only watch on the trainer.  

Glad you came out okay in both instances, Jason.  Be safe out there!

2014-11-26 3:48 PM

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

It's just effin' cold here.

Glad you are ok Jason, pretty scary that they actually made contact!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 37315 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
    Views: 72723 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 12, 2014
    author : TeamMPI
    comments : 1
    The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
    date : September 15, 2011
    comments : 0
    Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    comments : 0
    Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.