Treasure valley YMCA
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 52s
Overall Rank = 99/1491
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/92
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, breakfast of yogurt, oatmeal, chia seeds, toast and butter. We picked up the sis-in-law and headed to the race.

The ladies waited in the porta lines, I found a sagebrush :)

The race started 11 minutes late, mainly because of the porta lines.
Event warmup:

The jog to and from the sagebrush
Run
  • 1h 36m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Fantastic race!!!

I trained through this race. My only concession was moving my 60 mile bike ride to Wednesday. I planned on using this as a trial run for my HIM. The plan worked perfectly until I pinned the number on. If I'm numbered I'm racing :)

This was my first half Mary without crazy hills. I didn't have any idea of what my time should be. I lined up in the 8min corral, and thought I could average that if I didn't blaze out and burn up.

The race started, and I worked my way through a small crowd into open space. I felt good, even at a fast pace. Mile 1 split was around 7:19, and the next two splits were even faster. I averaged 7:15 over the first three miles. I was thinking, I'm going to blow up if I don't slow down, but I didn't want to slow down ;)

Somewhere around mike 3 or 4 a lady asked if my watch had our pace on it. She (Mary Ann) wanted a 1:45 finish, but didn't know what pace she needed. I did the quick math and told her she needed a 8:00 ( I rounded a little, c'mon I was running a race not a calculator) at that time we were right at a 7:30 pace.

Mary Ann and I ran the rest of the race together. The next 6-7 miles flew by, most right around the 7:30 pace.

I really started to struggle with about 1-2 mikes left. Mary Ann saw that, and kept me engaged and focused. She told me more than once to pick up the pace, and it worked :) I was Ina pretty dark place, but she kept me in the game, and forced me to dig deeper Than I have before.

All in all, it was the freakin awesomest experience since my last awesome experience.

Ohh yea, we blew that 1:45 out of the water :)

What would you do differently?:

I need to learn to hydrate on the run. It is not critical for this distance, but I will need the skill as I run longer.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water, choc milk, watermelon, banana, half bagel, and a half of a baked tater with sour cream, onions, butter, and salsa.

Waited for the in-law to finish, and we jetted. Dropped the girls off to watch a nephew at the state tennis tourney, and I headed to a pond for a 1.25 mile OWS.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. This is the best I have ever done, I plan on getting faster, but it is a process.

Event comments:

The y has this down to a science. This RR is more about me bragging on my new PR than on the race :)

Last updated: 2014-05-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:52 | 13.1 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/92
Overall: 92/1491
Performance: Good
Course: Green belt path and residential streets. Well marked, and great traffic control. Pedestrian traffic was pretty heavy near the finish, but that's life.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-18 10:46 PM

User image

Subject: YMCA Famous Potato Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YMCA Famous Potato Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon, 10K and 5K Run and Walk

Started by JoshR
Views: 945 Posts: 1

2010-05-15 12:36 PM JoshR

31st Annual Famous Idaho Potato Half Marathon, 10K

Started by Potatohead
Views: 1091 Posts: 1

2009-05-17 9:52 AM Potatohead
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : February 23, 2010
comments : 1
Can I do extra running miles for my two half marathons while starting a half Ironman training program?
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.