BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2016-07-27 6:11 PM
in reply to: #5192172

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed
I was told to be good and rested for the 20 minute test.. ..bwahahaha...no such thing during IM training..
I may just give it a go tomorrow morning. I'm supposed to do a hill training session but hubby is out of town so it would be on my trainer anyway. I don't how rested I'll be, I'm in peak weeks but only did a 45" zone 2 ride today that was supposed to be part of a brick (taking the run off until Achilles feels better).

2016-07-28 8:48 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Ain't that the truth.

Honestly, you do want to go in as [relatively] fresh as possible. Replace one of your hard bike sessions with the 20 minute test. If you use Trainer Road, it's actually an hour-long workout. The 20 minute part is the main set and you want it to be at above your threshold. Those tests SUCK! Ha ha.
2016-07-28 11:48 AM
in reply to: #5192919

User image

, Vermont
Okay. I was supposed to do it this morning but got 4 hours of sleep last night and feel like crap. I did gat a swim in while the boys were in camp - 3700 yds. I was shooting for 4200 but halfway through I had to get out and use the bathroom. I takes FOREVER to get a freakin' wet bathing suit down and up! Hahahaha. Anyway, basically did a 300 warm up, 4 x 100 drill set and 3000 straight (albeit potty break was at 1800...).
I'll try to relax and chill the rest of today and get a good sleep tonight and try the test again in the morning.
Question for you - I'm thinking the FTP results would be slightly different between a road bike and tri bike, yes? I should think I could generate a higher FTP on a road bike with the higher use of glutes. It's probably negligible but I'm just curious. I'll be doing it in my tri bike since that's what I'll be racing on.
2016-07-28 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Okay. I was supposed to do it this morning but got 4 hours of sleep last night and feel like crap. I did gat a swim in while the boys were in camp - 3700 yds. I was shooting for 4200 but halfway through I had to get out and use the bathroom. I takes FOREVER to get a freakin' wet bathing suit down and up! Hahahaha. Anyway, basically did a 300 warm up, 4 x 100 drill set and 3000 straight (albeit potty break was at 1800...).
I'll try to relax and chill the rest of today and get a good sleep tonight and try the test again in the morning.
Question for you - I'm thinking the FTP results would be slightly different between a road bike and tri bike, yes? I should think I could generate a higher FTP on a road bike with the higher use of glutes. It's probably negligible but I'm just curious. I'll be doing it in my tri bike since that's what I'll be racing on.

That's a great question. I know my FTP on a tri bike would be much higher, but that's only because I don't own a roadie (only a CX bike) and I don't ride the CX that often. Definitely test on the tri bike.
2016-07-29 8:37 AM
in reply to: #5193040

User image

, Vermont
Well, I think I completely f'ed up the test. Hahahaha.
I couldn't get the hrm to sync at all, there is no drop down in the devices page to select a hrm as they show in the trouble shooting guide. I emailed them to see where I'm screwing up. I thought I had synced my power meter but I may never know...I forgot to start my watch until 8 minutes in and the power readout on my watch was almost double what I was seeing on TR. My data on TR seems very, very low.
I don't know. I am very frustrated with it at this point but have to get to the pool while the kids are at camp and PT right after so no time to worry about it today. I just won't be able to utilize the data for anything meaningful in terms of training for now.
Tell me it gets easier? It looks like it should be a no-brainer, not sure why I am not clicking with this. Patience, Grasshopper..
2016-07-29 10:21 AM

User image

, Vermont
learned a few things!! Garmin does not make a Bluetooth heart rate monitor! Also, many (not all) Bluetooth hrm's can only connect to one device at a time using Bluetooth only - so if you're hooked up to your 920xt, it may not connect with Trainer Road without an ANT stick.
Soooooo.....that leaves me with either....buying an ANT stick - does this mean I can't use my iPad for TR? Does an ANT stick connect to an iPad, if so, how? ...or getting a new heart rate monitor which is Bluetooth. they are both roughly the same price.... f*&k! more money... ...i'm laughing now, thinking about your post a few posts ago...about laughing with me, not at me. The guy at Trainer Road recommended the Wahoo TICKR...
I have zero $ left until the semester starts up so for the next month my use of TR will be without heart rate information. Bwahahaha....

2016-07-29 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Yes, it get easier. Those things can be a bugger to get set up, but once you do, it should be automatic.

You may try to use the chat function on the TR website. Generally, they are VERY responsive and try to get it set up in an evening or the night before. I know that stuff can get frustrating. My wife has called me on a couple occasions when she's there, ready for a big workout and has a technical problem. Since we're time pressed anyway, spending an extra 30 minutes before a workout fiddling with gadgets can ruin everything.

sorry to hear it didn't work out. What is your username on TR? Mine is dprocket
2016-07-29 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Yes, Garmin hates bluetooth. They own Ant+, and therefore push Ant. The rest of the industry is pushing BT. The problem is that Garmin is a gorilla. Ha ha.

Ant+ sticks are cheap. Like less than $20 I think.
I have a Suunto one that is very skinny. I use a laptop....not sure about iPad at all.

Really, you don't need HR info in TR to get power numbers.

For Trainer Road....I would take the 920 out of the mix completely.

Attach connect your power meter to Trainer Road via Bluetooth. Perhaps it won't connect to the 920 at the same time. If it does, the Power readings should be identical.

If you can't connect your HRM, you actually don't need it for TR to determine your FTP. It would be nice to have, but HR data typically trails power data.
2016-07-29 4:04 PM
in reply to: #5193156

User image

, Vermont
Okay. I'll take the watch off (ragged breath and sharp inhalation..). Hahaha.
My PT said the same thing, don't worry about the hrm. I'm so used to training in hr zones it's hard to let it go. I think I'll skip the ant + dongle for now until I'm garnering a paycheck and just go off power. I've got to figure it out pretty quick though if I want to use it for the race... 3 1/2 weeks!! Ack! I feel so under-prepared..
2016-08-01 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Today I started my 3rd phase of my 70.3 race training: 8-week specialty phase. In looking over my workouts for the week, I see "20 minute Test". Oh .

I hate that. I'm not sure what day I'll do it, but I hate them. They are too had. ha ha!!

2016-08-01 9:13 PM
in reply to: #5193245

User image

, Vermont
Hahahaha! Back at cha! I'll redo mine maybe next week or something.
I just got to Mont Tremblant; palm to ride two loops minus one little section that's busy with cars, so should get just over 100 miles in if I can handle it. I drove part of the course I hadn't ridden and I'm trying to confirm exactly where the turn around point is because the frickin' course is hilly enough as it is and there is a giant hill between the two exits in question. I'm praying I get good news....
Tired.
This place is cool. It's crazy busy; I guess there's a two week break right now so every room is taken just about. I'm lucky I found a place (and no wonder the prices are a bit elevated..). Ah well. Here's to biking a century tomorrow with 6,000' of elevation gain! I'm hoping my scrawny stems can hold up!! Hahaha

2016-08-02 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
That's awesome. How far is MT from where you are? It's great you get to train on the same course you will be racing on. One slight concern that I have with her IM in October is that I know Louisville is a pretty hilly course. She does almost all riding on the trainer. I know that the strength will be there, but hopefully we can get some good hills in during the next month or so so she's ready for outdoor hilly riding.
2016-08-02 1:22 PM
in reply to: #5193605

User image

, Vermont
According to Google Maps, MT is about a 3 hour drive. According to my wait at the border and Montreal traffic, it's closer to 4...
I'm here now, just finished the first loop of the course in about 3:08 for 54.12 miles and 2700' elevation gain. I feel yucky but it could be the stomach bug - my poor hubby was finishing up getting sick when I left yesterday so I'm not sure if it's that or my nutrition/hydration. I'm eating salt out of the salt shaker right now and hydrating and eating a banana. I did use Infinit but didn't get quite enough in. We'll see how the next loop goes.
2016-08-02 1:24 PM
in reply to: #5193740

User image

, Vermont
Oh, if your wife is using Trainer Road and cranking up and down on the resistance, I'm sure she'll be fine. The only big reason to get on an actual hill is to practice shifting. She'll do great.
2016-08-03 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
how did lap #2 go?
2016-08-03 7:09 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

, Vermont
Humbling. hahahhaa.

Actually my MPH average was about the same and same with my HR zones, though my power zones on the second lap were slightly higher so I was burning matches. What really got me were saddle sores! I haven't had bad ones all summer and yesterday they reared their ugliness. Two - one on each side the size of quarters left me yelping in pain from mile 20 on the second loop (so mile 75 or so). It definitely sapped some energy and effort.
On the first loop I went so far past the turn around on Chemin Duplessis that I decided on the second loop I'd cut it a bit short and turn sooner. (that and my legs just couldn't take the hills of Chemin Duplessis anymore). I ended up with about 102 miles on the day. My quads were crying. Why did I choose such a hilly course??? hahaha

The venue is great though and I hope my family has fun. I think they will, there are tons of things to do and I'd love to go back for a regular vacation sometime. It's beautiful there.

I am harboring serious doubts as to whether I will be able to finish. My ankle (Achilles area) has been flaring up so my PT is having me not run hills at all right now. I ran a bit on the course this morning and my right hip, deep inside was really hurting. That was a new one for me. My longest run has been only 16 miles due to injuring things....still have 10 to go! Taper has "officially" begun...though I still have a 4 hour ride this weekend and at least a 2 hour run (I'll have to check that one). I think this is the mental piece I keep hearing about from people. As peak weeks end and everything hurts and mentally you're strung out, all the doubts start to creep in. Trust the training, trust the training....my new mantra... just hoping I went as hard as I could during training, particularly on the bike.

2016-08-04 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Sorry to hear about the achilles. Have you considered any sort of run/walk plan? I'm sure you'll do some walking...but what about something prepared, as in run 10 min, walk 2 min, or some plan like that? I've heard of lots of people doing that and had a friend execute that for her race day. Just a thought.
2016-08-04 1:24 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by dprocket

Sorry to hear about the achilles. Have you considered any sort of run/walk plan? I'm sure you'll do some walking...but what about something prepared, as in run 10 min, walk 2 min, or some plan like that? I've heard of lots of people doing that and had a friend execute that for her race day. Just a thought.

Yes, I'm planning on doing basically the Galloway program of run/walking - that's what I did for my HIM in June and still pulled off a 2:07 in 89 degree heat.
For me it's run a mile, walk a minute and what that essentially equates to is walking the aid stations. This works pretty well because then I will actually drink water and eat a 1/4 banana and hopefully stay hydrated, etc.
I did the run yesterday there and walked the uphill sections so the achilles didn't bother me - but I only ran for 5.5 miles. Because of it though, my longest run was 16 miles during training so mentally that's not helpful. We shall see what happens...
2016-08-11 5:42 AM
in reply to: #5193741

User image

, Vermont
Bib #1008. It just got really real. Eek!
2016-08-12 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Bib #1008. It just got really real. Eek!

Awesome. I'm definitely going to track you. It will be good practice for me getting good at following and helping my family figure out how to track.
2016-08-13 6:19 AM
in reply to: #5194760

User image

, Vermont
If you want to practice tracking two, my sis in law is #777 - how cool is that?! She should do well.
Heading out Monday, hotels are set. Sis in law arrives tonight, her bike got here yesterday. I have a two hour ride today followed by a 30 min run - 100% chance of rain. I'm excited and nervous; feel like I haven't trained enough. Did a couple of ows this week but didn't do the distance required in the plan. I'm ready for next Monday hahaha. Eek!
How is your wife's training going?!

2016-08-16 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

If you want to practice tracking two, my sis in law is #777 - how cool is that?! She should do well.
Heading out Monday, hotels are set. Sis in law arrives tonight, her bike got here yesterday. I have a two hour ride today followed by a 30 min run - 100% chance of rain. I'm excited and nervous; feel like I haven't trained enough. Did a couple of ows this week but didn't do the distance required in the plan. I'm ready for next Monday hahaha. Eek!
How is your wife's training going?!

Pretty cool. Excited to watch for you and for your sister. Also, eager to hear how you feel afterward. : )

Wife signed up for her first marathon on 10/15. That was 2 months before she signed up for the IM. So, she's still planning on doing the marathon, but not sure how she'll feel 6 days after IM. Of course, the marathon is very low priority and she's already planning on doing a alot of Walk/Run for it. Not sure if she'll even be able to walk 6 days later. Who knows?

You may be in a hotel for the week, so if I don't see you update before then...good luck!!!
2016-08-16 12:54 PM
in reply to: #5195009

User image

, Vermont
I am here! I do have wifi so can check in periodically. They are really setting everything up. It's crazy the number of racks for bikes - over 2800 competitors I guess.
Just rode 40 miles on the course. Felt good but that left glute down into my hammy was really spasming but the end. Heading to the hottub now to try and loosen it up.
So cool- the giant red M's are starting to be placed around town. Exciting!!!! I can't post pictures on this site from my phone or I totally would!!
2016-08-17 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
find me on facebook! I want to see the pictures: David Panjada

I think my wife Jamie has seen you on the the women for tri facebook group.
2016-08-17 2:50 PM
in reply to: #5195413

User image

, Vermont
Okay, will do!
She probably has - I've asked a bunch of questions on there. Hahah
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2007
author : NDeBoom
comments : 1
Our members chat with Nicole DeBoom on Ironman nutrition strategy, Ironman training philosophy, off-season focus, her 'secret' IM food, favorite races, and her new clothing line and race series.

date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.
date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.

This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their bike. The athlete must be able to bike for at least 1:30 hours and should be able to complete 4-5 weekly bike sessions.
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.