BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2016-10-13 5:37 AM
in reply to: #5201225

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed
I have seen the posts on FB and commented on a few!! That is so awesome!!! Mint Tremblant next year??? Wink, wink, nod, nod...

I am so sorry to hear about the knee!!! I am sorry about the car too but that is easier to repair. Hopefully it's not a torn ACL, that would be a huge suck. Take it easy on it and let me know how it goes.

I finally swam a whooping 500 yards with a pull buoy and did some core work and light upper body lifting. It felt soooo good to do something again.
I went on a little hike yesterday and while it hurt, it seemed to loosen up a bit and I'm actually feeling better today! We shall see things go!
I am finishing up putting my workouts for my next IM on a spreadsheet, just need to get the winter maintenance plan in there too. Already getting antsy!!

2016-10-13 10:08 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Nice....

Did you sign up for IMMT? I can't remember....

I would say that I've definitely been bit by the IM bug. But right now, IDK. I can't even walk LOL so it's hard to think too much about IM. That's not even considering all the valid reasons I haven't signed up before (such as my crazy schedule, ha ha).

The real frustrating thing is that after I finished my last HIM, I cut back on training. I was fine with this because it was my choice. But now, because I 'cant" work out...It's very frustrating and depressing. I'm getting antsy.

Jamie is planning to run the KC Marathon on Saturday. I'm amazed by her recovery.

I've considered IMMT and also IMChoo. Choo is drivable for us, so that's a big advantage. But I know IMMT is a great event too. But first....learning to walk....
2016-10-14 9:31 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by dprocket

Nice....

Did you sign up for IMMT? I can't remember....

I would say that I've definitely been bit by the IM bug. But right now, IDK. I can't even walk LOL so it's hard to think too much about IM. That's not even considering all the valid reasons I haven't signed up before (such as my crazy schedule, ha ha).

The real frustrating thing is that after I finished my last HIM, I cut back on training. I was fine with this because it was my choice. But now, because I 'cant" work out...It's very frustrating and depressing. I'm getting antsy.

Jamie is planning to run the KC Marathon on Saturday. I'm amazed by her recovery.

I've considered IMMT and also IMChoo. Choo is drivable for us, so that's a big advantage. But I know IMMT is a great event too. But first....learning to walk....

Holy smokes, she's a machine!!! That's impressive!!

I plan to sign up for IMMT for 2017, just need to pull the trigger. I've been holding out just to see how this muscle recovers (and to make sure that's all it is...). It's taking longer than when my back went out last spring so it's a little concerning. I do want to get on it though because accommodations sell out fast. From what I hear, MT is one of the most amazing venues for an Ironman. It's a giant party. Let's just say it has inspired my husband to want to try a tri and he hates road cyclists. (He's paranoid I'm going to get hit and killed). ..so that is telling you something.
It is so pretty there and just a nice place to hang out. Lots of fun restaurants, a challenging but fair course. I love the swim - the buoys are all numbered so it gives you something to do while you go - there are 13 on the way out, 2 or 3 across and 13 on the way back and the numbers face the swimmers so you can see them and count along as you go. (hey, it's the little things that help mentally). There is also a coffee boat from Wednesday through Saturday you can swim out to! The only other race that does this is Kona! It was novel to swim out, get a dixie cup of espresso and tread water drinking it chatting with other racers. Too fun. I don't think my sis in law is going to do it this year so I'm very bummed I won't really know anyone. I found it comforting knowing she was out there too and it was fun to train with her in the days leading up to the race. I think I would have been much more nervous if she hadn't been there.

So, yes, you guys should absolutely consider IMMT next summer! I wanted to do their 70.3 but it sells out in minutes so I'll have to wait until 2018 for that one. The lake is a whole lot colder in late June though for that race. hahahaha
2016-10-23 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Well.. not so good news.

On Friday, I left my orthopedic dr. after having an MRI from my knee flare up. I have consequential medial meniscus tear again. It can be repaired/trimmed with a scope. I also have some surface meniscus damage and arthritis in that knee.

When I ask the doctor: "after surgery when can I start running long distance again?" he explained that running is never going to be good for this patched together knee. That long term, I will continue to see damage. He did not say that I can't run, but rather explained (quite reasonably) that I need to weigh my love for running against the long term consequences. (What I am also thinking is: what are the long term ramifications of not running to the rest of my body? I'm already a big guy and I do love the sport of triathlon. Even though I'm not very good at it, I enjoy the lifestyle of training for events and putting forth my best effort.

So, now I'm grappling with myself: how realistic is it to have this surgery, recover and begin running again with a target of competing in my one and only 140.6 at the end of 2017. At that point, shut down the running significantly and only do short distances. Perhaps start bike racing or something.

Part of my thinking is that if I wait 2-3 years, is my body ever going to be "more" ready than it is today (? My meniscus/cartilage is not going to grow back. It's only going to deteriorate more over time.

I know of several people that did their first IM on long runs that didn't exceed 14-15 miles. It seems that if upped my bike training and baby'd the running....maybe I could manage it with some grace? Shoot, since I'd mainly be gunning to mark it off my "bucket list", I could practically swim and bike well and then walk almost the entire run. Not that I would want to do that, but it's one path.

Or, am I just being an idiot and just need to forget about running altogether? What do you think?

Not sure how soon I could schedule surgery, but with the way my insurance works and deductibles etc, it may make sense to get it done on 1/1/. i can function day to day without issue. But i can NOT run at all. Bummed.
2016-10-24 4:49 PM

User image

, Vermont

Well.. not so good news.

On Friday, I left my orthopedic dr. after having an MRI from my knee flare up. I have consequential medial meniscus tear again. It can be repaired/trimmed with a scope. I also have some surface meniscus damage and arthritis in that knee.

When I ask the doctor: "after surgery when can I start running long distance again?" he explained that running is never going to be good for this patched together knee. That long term, I will continue to see damage. He did not say that I can't run, but rather explained (quite reasonably) that I need to weigh my love for running against the long term consequences. (What I am also thinking is: what are the long term ramifications of not running to the rest of my body? I'm already a big guy and I do love the sport of triathlon. Even though I'm not very good at it, I enjoy the lifestyle of training for events and putting forth my best effort.

So, now I'm grappling with myself: how realistic is it to have this surgery, recover and begin running again with a target of competing in my one and only 140.6 at the end of 2017. At that point, shut down the running significantly and only do short distances. Perhaps start bike racing or something.

Part of my thinking is that if I wait 2-3 years, is my body ever going to be "more" ready than it is today (? My meniscus/cartilage is not going to grow back. It's only going to deteriorate more over time.

I know of several people that did their first IM on long runs that didn't exceed 14-15 miles. It seems that if upped my bike training and baby'd the running....maybe I could manage it with some grace? Shoot, since I'd mainly be gunning to mark it off my "bucket list", I could practically swim and bike well and then walk almost the entire run. Not that I would want to do that, but it's one path.

Or, am I just being an idiot and just need to forget about running altogether? What do you think?

Not sure how soon I could schedule surgery, but with the way my insurance works and deductibles etc, it may make sense to get it done on 1/1/. i can function day to day without issue. But i can NOT run at all. Bummed.

Oh I am so sorry. That is news you don't want to get.
If it were me, I think I'd get a second opinion from someone who does tris or runs, if you can find one. I'm not discounting what your doctor told you, but often they err on the side of caution, and understandably so. Tell him/her your desire to complete an IM, discuss feasibility and your options of run/walking the marathon. I have heard of plenty of people, as you have, who don't run over 15 miles in training and really go at it on bike training. Would that be something that could work for you?
2016-10-26 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by aviatrix802

If it were me, I think I'd get a second opinion from someone who does tris or runs, if you can find one. I'm not discounting what your doctor told you, but often they err on the side of caution, and understandably so. Tell him/her your desire to complete an IM, discuss feasibility and your options of run/walking the marathon. I have heard of plenty of people, as you have, who don't run over 15 miles in training and really go at it on bike training. Would that be something that could work for you?

Yea, It's not as fresh in my mind now, so I'm starting to cope with it.

The doc is actually the ortho for the Kansas City Chiefs. That said, I don't exactly look like a world class athlete sitting in my sweatshirt and shorts in the office (who am I kidding! I don't ever look like an athlete LOL!!).

We also did not have a full, in depth conversation and I think more conversation is warranted. Going into the visit, I was concerned about the ACL/MCL being popped, so I was thinking about things in terms of possible 6-9 months recovery. Since it turns out to be something different. Still severe, but different. His words were "running is never going to be good for this knee". But he didn't say I couldn't and he also did not say anything about how much is too much. He did talk about listening to my body.

Maybe I'm talking myself into this .... lol.

Next step is scheduling surgery. I think I may end up waiting until after the 1st of the year. Mainly, because of deductibles. Insurance...so frustrating but something I'm thankful to have. I have a $2000 deductible. So, I'm not sure I want to spend $1500 in mid-November, and then have my deductible restart on 1/1. Decisions decisions. I can get around and function just fine in my day-to-day...just can NOT run.

I'm also considering finding a running coach. I'm sure there are mechanics that could be cleaned up that could possibly preserve the knee.

2016-10-28 2:26 PM

User image

, Vermont

Yea, It's not as fresh in my mind now, so I'm starting to cope with it.

The doc is actually the ortho for the Kansas City Chiefs. That said, I don't exactly look like a world class athlete sitting in my sweatshirt and shorts in the office (who am I kidding! I don't ever look like an athlete LOL!!).

We also did not have a full, in depth conversation and I think more conversation is warranted. Going into the visit, I was concerned about the ACL/MCL being popped, so I was thinking about things in terms of possible 6-9 months recovery. Since it turns out to be something different. Still severe, but different. His words were "running is never going to be good for this knee". But he didn't say I couldn't and he also did not say anything about how much is too much. He did talk about listening to my body.

Maybe I'm talking myself into this .... lol.

Next step is scheduling surgery. I think I may end up waiting until after the 1st of the year. Mainly, because of deductibles. Insurance...so frustrating but something I'm thankful to have. I have a $2000 deductible. So, I'm not sure I want to spend $1500 in mid-November, and then have my deductible restart on 1/1. Decisions decisions. I can get around and function just fine in my day-to-day...just can NOT run.

I'm also considering finding a running coach. I'm sure there are mechanics that could be cleaned up that could possibly preserve the knee.

I totally don't blame you for wanting to wait until January, that just makes sense.
I was just thinking - aqua-jogging. It is actually quite hard and the mind-numbing experience is great for mental strengthening. But the buoyancy would help take some of the pressure off the knee, maybe? It could be a decent alternative to do once or twice a week to help stave off the pounding.
2016-10-28 2:27 PM

User image

, Vermont
and maybe it's a good reason to then get a waterproof ipod and earbuds..... Merry Christmas hint to your wife...
2016-11-02 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

and maybe it's a good reason to then get a waterproof ipod and earbuds..... Merry Christmas hint to your wife...

I like the way you think. : )

I hate to admit, I haven't been in the pool since September and even with my knee issue, I'm struggling with motivation to get in. I know I should....ugh.
2016-11-02 10:07 AM

User image

, Vermont

I like the way you think. : )

I hate to admit, I haven't been in the pool since September and even with my knee issue, I'm struggling with motivation to get in. I know I should....ugh.

I've been doing most of my swimming with a pull buoy. I'm finally going to see an acupuncturist on Friday to see if I can get off this plateau of not feeling bad but not able to train before I go into a "lack-of-exercise-induced-depression." hahaha. IM training begins in 3 months (which sounds like a while but it's really not in the grand scheme of things).
i just saw the Garmin 920xt is on sale for $200!! Holy smokes.
2016-12-28 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
HO HO HO MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I'm going under the knife on my knee on 1/3.0 yippee! Hopefully will be running again soon!

2016-12-29 10:24 PM
in reply to: #5201729

User image

, Vermont
Oh my gosh!! I wish you the best of luck and the doctors the best of skills! Have they given you any idea of recovery time?
I hope this takes care of it and gets you going again very soon. Any possibility of doing an Aquabike this next summer to keep you going?
2016-12-30 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
AQUABIKE?

hell no. I'm shooting for triathlon in April/May. Maybe IM in September.

Not sure...depending on how the surgery goes, my plan is to get back to running ASAP.
2017-01-02 8:48 AM
in reply to: #5208371

User image

, Vermont
Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking about you!!!
2017-01-12 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
A little over a week post op. If you didn't know I had surgery, you wouldn't be able to tell. I was walking around the same day. Follow up visit to ortho is tomorrow. I feel good. Not quite ready to run yet, but it's maybe only a few weeks away. I signed up for a 5k on the 28th and my 6 year old is doing it too. I may just jog/walk with her. I'll begin to make firm decisions tomorrow, after meeting with Ortho. But I'm planning to sign up for Ironman Chattanooga.
2017-01-12 6:01 PM
in reply to: #5208589

User image

, Vermont
That is awesome!!!! I am so happy for you! Wow!!

2017-01-16 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

I went to my post Op visit on Friday. Kind of a bummer. I have 2 more weeks of "no nothing". I can't get in the pool. Can ride my bike with only 1 leg, and no running, of course. I am impatient and was looking forward to jumping back on the horse. Anyone who sees me right now would never know I was injured nor that I am recovering from surgery. So, I'm still in a waiting game.

The positive is that Doc did not tell me "no" when I told him about IM plans for late 2017. And also basically told me with his timeframe, I'd have roughly 5 months to train the run. I think it's going to happen.

On other note, I think you're a micro-brew fan. I've picked up something called Magic Hat a few times. A winter variety pack. It shows that they are out of Vermont. Is that near you?
2017-01-17 10:24 PM

User image

, Vermont

I went to my post Op visit on Friday. Kind of a bummer. I have 2 more weeks of "no nothing". I can't get in the pool. Can ride my bike with only 1 leg, and no running, of course. I am impatient and was looking forward to jumping back on the horse. Anyone who sees me right now would never know I was injured nor that I am recovering from surgery. So, I'm still in a waiting game.

The positive is that Doc did not tell me "no" when I told him about IM plans for late 2017. And also basically told me with his timeframe, I'd have roughly 5 months to train the run. I think it's going to happen.

On other note, I think you're a micro-brew fan. I've picked up something called Magic Hat a few times. A winter variety pack. It shows that they are out of Vermont. Is that near you?

Patience, Grasshopper, it will come. Heck, I haven't been able to run over 2 miles since September and I'm supposed to start IMMT training next Monday. I don't really know what I'm going to do.
Magic Hat is about a 20 minute drive from my house. Do you like their beer??? I will admit I'm not such a fan though I haven't tried their winter stuff. I don't like Hocus Pocus or #9. One of them has an apricoty thing going on. Heady Topper is brewed near here too - that's the one I figured you've heard about - it's in the top 5 in the US or something like that; hard to come by. I have a 4 pack in my fridge but honestly it's so darn hoppy I have to split one to enjoy it. I love Switchback Ale and Switchback's Dooley Porter. If you find the ale - has a blue label, try it out. Tasty stuff. Otter Creek Brewing is here too. Gosh, I could go on and on - so many local breweries here in the Burlington area it's crazy (in a very good way).

(Small Switchback bottles.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Small Switchback bottles.jpg (42KB - 21 downloads)
2017-01-17 10:26 PM

User image

, Vermont
Here's a Heady Topper - the famed beer that goes for $28 a four pack in Florida (suckers).

(Heady Topper.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Heady Topper.jpg (52KB - 17 downloads)
2017-01-18 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Patience, Grasshopper, it will come. Heck, I haven't been able to run over 2 miles since September and I'm supposed to start IMMT training next Monday. I don't really know what I'm going to do.
Magic Hat is about a 20 minute drive from my house. Do you like their beer??? I will admit I'm not such a fan though I haven't tried their winter stuff. I don't like Hocus Pocus or #9. One of them has an apricoty thing going on. Heady Topper is brewed near here too - that's the one I figured you've heard about - it's in the top 5 in the US or something like that; hard to come by. I have a 4 pack in my fridge but honestly it's so darn hoppy I have to split one to enjoy it. I love Switchback Ale and Switchback's Dooley Porter. If you find the ale - has a blue label, try it out. Tasty stuff. Otter Creek Brewing is here too. Gosh, I could go on and on - so many local breweries here in the Burlington area it's crazy (in a very good way).

Yes....trying to be patient. I'm now playing a game. I told my wife that I'm signing up for Choo when the next credit card statement cycle starts which is next Wed.). Ha ha!! Hopefully it doesn't sell out before then!

I also join Planet Fitness. It's dirt cheap. I figure I'm going to supplement much of my running with elliptical. We'll see if my grand plan works.

Magic Hat: mixed feelings right now. I bought a combo pack in the Fall that my local Costco was carrying. (I really like variety packs of micro brews). It had Hocus Pocus, #9 and a few others. Was not crazy about it. Personally, I'm not an IPA fan (I know...I know) or really even Pale Ales. Not a real hoppy guy. I strongly prefer wheat beers and my favorites are hefeweizens. Also, I like stouts, porters, lagers, etc.

On Saturday I picked out some other winter variety pack and I actually liked the Black IPA and Winter mingle. Haven't tried the others.

There's a big bunch of micros here too. Maybe you've heard of Boulevard Brewery. Not sure they'd have made it way up your way, though.

I've never seen Switchback, but I'll keep my eye peeled.
2017-01-26 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Did you actually register for IMMT?
I just looked at it, and registration fee is: $665.00 CAD + GST/QST.

$665 CAN is roughly $508 USD. I'm not sure what the other things are, but probably some sort of taxes. Does that sound right?

That's about $240 cheaper than IMCHOO, if it's correct.

2017-01-28 12:42 PM
in reply to: #5210077

User image

, Vermont
I didn't sign up for IMMT this year. I hemmed and hawed for a while. Something still isn't right with my SI joint and I've got to get that ironed out.
Price sounds about right for what I paid this past year. I'll definitely sign up for 2018.
Standby, kiddos...
2017-01-30 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

I didn't sign up for IMMT this year. I hemmed and hawed for a while. Something still isn't right with my SI joint and I've got to get that ironed out.
Price sounds about right for what I paid this past year. I'll definitely sign up for 2018.
Standby, kiddos...

I signed up for IM Choo. And I still can't run. LOL.
2017-01-30 6:41 PM
in reply to: #5211792

User image

, Vermont
Oh!! What's the date of IMChoo?
2017-01-31 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

Oh!! What's the date of IMChoo?

09/24
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2007
author : NDeBoom
comments : 1
Our members chat with Nicole DeBoom on Ironman nutrition strategy, Ironman training philosophy, off-season focus, her 'secret' IM food, favorite races, and her new clothing line and race series.

date : December 8, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
This is the time of year where you focus on your ‘weakest’ event and practice your drills, techniques, form, etc. Here I list some BT training plan options to get you through the off-season.
date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.

This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their bike. The athlete must be able to bike for at least 1:30 hours and should be able to complete 4-5 weekly bike sessions.
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their swim. The athlete must be able to swim at least 2,500 yards and at a pace of better than 2:15 per 100.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.