BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-07-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Yeah I will have to look into that. I've never used it before but it definitely could be helpful.

2014-07-26 5:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
St. Louis
As seen on my run today. The first pic was a brutally hot 3 mile stretch.

Edited by ransick 2014-07-26 5:33 PM

(pic2.jpg)

(pic1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
pic2.jpg (175KB - 2 downloads)
pic1.jpg (159KB - 3 downloads)
2014-07-27 4:46 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Great pics mike! I'd much rather be running in the second than the first though .

I went for my 100k charity ride today, longest distance I've ever tackled. It was a morning of dense, dense fog here which didn't lift until around 10 am which is just about unheard of here. The course was a winding one with many, many hills; over the 108km course we climbed 1020m and boy, I was feeling it by the 70km mark. The middle of the ride was the hilliest section with a particularly long and steep hill that went up, up, up...then turn a bend and discover the damn hill just kept going up and up...Well, at that stage I admitted defeat, pulled over and got off, walked up the worst of it. I felt a little better to see others doing the same. Eventually made it back to the start/finish with a time of 4:48 plus rest stops, which I was pretty happy with. If I can manage that pace for the HIM I should have enough time up my sleeve to finish the run leg within the cutoff time.

So now I'm sitting with a glass of wine, having spent most of the afternoon eating, and looking forward to an early bedtime .

2014-07-27 12:46 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Taringa

Great pics mike! I'd much rather be running in the second than the first though .

I went for my 100k charity ride today, longest distance I've ever tackled. It was a morning of dense, dense fog here which didn't lift until around 10 am which is just about unheard of here. The course was a winding one with many, many hills; over the 108km course we climbed 1020m and boy, I was feeling it by the 70km mark. The middle of the ride was the hilliest section with a particularly long and steep hill that went up, up, up...then turn a bend and discover the damn hill just kept going up and up...Well, at that stage I admitted defeat, pulled over and got off, walked up the worst of it. I felt a little better to see others doing the same. Eventually made it back to the start/finish with a time of 4:48 plus rest stops, which I was pretty happy with. If I can manage that pace for the HIM I should have enough time up my sleeve to finish the run leg within the cutoff time.

So now I'm sitting with a glass of wine, having spent most of the afternoon eating, and looking forward to an early bedtime .

Nice ride Anna! You definitely deserve the wine.
2014-07-28 9:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by ransick

Originally posted by Taringa

Nice ride Anna! You definitely deserve the wine.

Nice long ride, indeed! What hills! Nice finish.

I feel guilty saying that my puny 13 mile sprint bike leg this weekend is perfectly flat along the beach highway! The only technical aspect is a ... turnaround (actually 3 of them -- woo, scary!). Not even one bridge!
2014-07-28 10:53 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Hey all, it's been a few months since I logged on here, I kind of dropped off the face of the earth, but can I jump in?

Name: Joe

I had signed up for Vineman 70.3 this year, and then had to cancel because work relocated me to Chicago in May.  I intended to sign up for the Chicago Triatlon in August, but frankly the stress of the move and trying to keep things as stable as possible for the kids meant I had little to no time/motivation to work out and I was eating fast food or something similar many meals.  Our move did not go smoothly and we have had to handle some major issues with  our new house, but things are just starting to stabilize and I'm getting back into it.

I don't think I'll be doing any races this year, but I'm wanting to work smart and hard to make sure I am in top shape going into next season.  If there's any fun run only races around here towards the end of the year, maybe I'll do that, we'll see.  Like a turkey trot or something.  But I really want to be back in the full swing for next season, that's my focus.

The biggest obstacle will be the swim, I'm going to be more or less foregoing swim training for now because there are really no convenient pools around here. Also need to save money.  Luckily my office has a great (pool-less) gym so I can run and bike year round without worry, which will be a significant help here in Chicago come winter.

I've been running and doing some other working out over the course of the last month, but very haphazardly.  Last week I know I ran 13.5 miles.  This week I'll be doing 15, probably do that for a couple more weeks, and then start to build it up.  Slowly but surely I'm going to get it back over 25 mi/week. I've always wanted to get to 30 mi/week, so I'm going to make that the goal.

I'm up over 20lbs from where I want to be, so that's another big goal.

In lieu of swimming, I'll be trying to hit the rowing machine hard.  I like it, it's good hard work, and it gives me something to focus on other than just the run and bike.

Anyways, I hope everyone else is doing well!  I'm looking forward to getting back into it and seeing how everyone else is training.

2014-07-28 11:22 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey Joe!

Sorry to hear you had such a rough move! Moving is never easy, especially when things seem to keep going wrong! It sounds like you have a plan to get back into it though, and that is important! Good luck!!
2014-07-28 1:50 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

doctor was a big waste of time.

it's not a fracture, so that's nice, but only direction i have is continue to do activity as long as it doesn't hurt and come back for an MRI and i'll follow up in 2 weeks and do what?  tell you to rest?

is there ANY REASON on earth i should waste my time and money on the MRI/followup appt if all 3 possible outcomes just mean i have to rest?

and in the meantime how do i not go BAT POOP CRAZY not being able to do anything i like?  

2014-07-28 7:51 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sorry the ankle is still not cooperating. The only reason to MRI is if a possible outcome is surgery. Hopefully it isn't.
2014-07-28 9:22 PM

User image

@FresnoJoe: Dude! Welcome back. I was literally thinking of you the other day and wondering how that move to Chicago went. I think it's because there were a bunch of Vineman results rolling in on my local club's facebook page. Hopefully, the worst is behind you with the move and the house and all. Running is a great focus for you, I think. It'll definitely help you relieve stress and take the weight off that you want in short order. You'll do fine in some 5k and 10k's. Maybe some trail races. Enjoy getting back to what you love doing! Great having you back.

@Mehaner. I really had a parallel experience without as much swelling. X-rays showed nothing. MRI, however, showed an ACL strain and some cartilage changes in my knee, with some patellar tracking. After researching it, it pointed me in the direction of rehab exercises. It could certainly point you in the direction of some physical therapy. Resting only sucks, but it may be your best hope at a full recovery. Sucks, though. I hear you.

Feeling a lot more confident in the OWS. Swam in the ocean the last two nights. Tonight with the local tri club was a blast. We did some warm-up sets and then some longer sets, then a good 'ol fashioned relay race. That was a blast. Sprint is this Saturday. Looking forward to it.

2014-07-28 10:07 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

I'm up over 20lbs from where I want to be, so that's another big goal.

Me too... except I didn't take a training hiatus.

Welcome back! Glad things are settling down for you!

2014-07-29 5:17 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi Joe, good to have you back again!

2014-07-29 5:21 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by mehaner

doctor was a big waste of time.

it's not a fracture, so that's nice, but only direction i have is continue to do activity as long as it doesn't hurt and come back for an MRI and i'll follow up in 2 weeks and do what?  tell you to rest?

is there ANY REASON on earth i should waste my time and money on the MRI/followup appt if all 3 possible outcomes just mean i have to rest?

and in the meantime how do i not go BAT POOP CRAZY not being able to do anything i like?  

I must admit, I'd be inclined to go and ask for the follow up scan if time and money allowed. I know it may not change the doc's advice, but I like to know what's happening and (for me) knowing makes it a little easier to bear the forced rest and get an idea of how it should all be going.

2014-07-29 6:55 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

the MRI alone will take over an hour and who knows how much it will cost me.  i can't believe how nonchalant people are with just throwing away that time and money for no reason!!  i've skipped them before.  i like data and info as much as the next guy (i'm an engineer) but an inconclusive picture with a diagnosis of rest isn't really data...

2014-07-29 7:28 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I agree with you, Anna. I have a hard time just resting. I like knowing exactly what is wrong, or I will continue to push it too much and extend my recovery time. But to each their own. Marilyn, if you don't think it is worth your time or money, and it doesn't help you to have someone giving you a timeline, then just do your own thing. Hopefully you are through the worst of it.
2014-07-29 3:42 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

I have found the answer to all cross-training and rehab questions, as well as relief for those suffering discouragement due to injuries.

It's simply called bog snorkeling! You've got to check this out! Just google "World Bog Snorkeling Championships" or look it up on YouTube! It's not in the list of BT races, surprisingly. It might well be worth a trip to the U.K. Bring your tutu!

Enjoy!

2014-07-29 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All, We just got home a couple hours ago and have unloaded everything and now just getting ready to relax.  The race went quite well except I wilted in the heat on the run.  My swim and bike were fairly good but the heat hit at the same time I was running out of T2.  I was stronger on the run this year than last year but I was still quite slow.

I got a bit fried in the sun and had some pretty good fun with some of the other athletes.  I felt great crossing the finish line and was still in decent shape so I was pleased with that.

I haven't seen the stats yet and I want to see if I can't come up with some photos to include in my race report but I'll try and write it up tomorrow.  We stayed an extra day at our campsite and just lazed around sleeping and eating whatever we wanted and I think it made the drive home today much easier.

I can see that I still need to focus on my running and running off the bike for next year.

I'll get caught up on the posts while I was away tomorrow.

2014-07-29 10:34 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Master
St. Louis
Glad you made the run fun. I had a HIM with brutal heat and had fun with it too. Looking forward to the race report.
2014-07-30 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by PsyTri I have found the answer to all cross-training and rehab questions, as well as relief for those suffering discouragement due to injuries. It's simply called bog snorkeling! You've got to check this out! Just google "World Bog Snorkeling Championships" or look it up on YouTube! It's not in the list of BT races, surprisingly. It might well be worth a trip to the U.K. Bring your tutu! Enjoy!

Wow, that is not in the least bit tempting! You always have great ideas.

2014-07-31 9:08 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

I'm heading out for packet pick-up tomorrow night and then back out on Sat AM EARLY for Loggerhead Sprint Triathlon. 3/8 mile ocean swim. 13 mile, 2 loop flat bike. 5k 1-loop run mostly flat. Should be fast and fun and well-attended. Like 20 from my local tri club are going, so hopefully it'll be social.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

2014-07-31 9:38 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

I'm heading out for packet pick-up tomorrow night and then back out on Sat AM EARLY for Loggerhead Sprint Triathlon. 3/8 mile ocean swim. 13 mile, 2 loop flat bike. 5k 1-loop run mostly flat. Should be fast and fun and well-attended. Like 20 from my local tri club are going, so hopefully it'll be social.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Have fun!

2014-08-01 7:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Hello Everyone

Sorry been MIA 2 weeks ago . I just had a sprint 2 weeks ago did not do too well on the run i was hesitant to leave T2 because of the heat and i was so slow on the run, I would say my mental toughness gave in. I have a comeback sprint next week and Oly in 3 weeks , HIM in 3 mos.

@Gary

I really appreciate it man getting in touch with me to remind me of the group. The most popular races in town , they are well attended as follows:

Best recomended:
Sept.1(Labor Day) Townelakes Triathlon (Sprint and Oly)
Sept.21 5150 Olympic Tri/ Lonestar Sprint Tri.
Sept.28 Firethorne Sprint Tri.
Oct.19 Try Andy's Tri Sprint (most attended runs out fast)

Secondary:
Oct.12 October Fest Tri Sprint/Oly

There ya go man Good luck on your sprint i know your going to Fly!!!

@George
Impressive tough swim, Good job on the century!!! i like reading it. Still planning on your 2nd HIM?

@Joe
Glad your back hopefully everything is settled in Chicago , Is there a IMWI 70.3.

@Nicole
Sorry about your foot pains recover well. Volleyball whoopie like watching that game next to basketball.

@Marilyn
Sorry your still limping tough call on the MRI i know would be tough for me $500 co-pay here in Texas . Hopefully you get a definite diagnosis.

@Anna
i hope your HIM training is doing well! Goodluck!!!

Cheers Everyone

Carlo

Edited by strykergt 2014-08-01 8:00 PM
2014-08-01 11:26 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All - I just finished my race report.  It took me quite a while to write it as I've been distracted by family matters (nothing too bad).

Ironman 70.3 Calgary

I hope that will work.  I'm hoping to add a photo of my medal.  It's a huge (cowboy) belt buckle.  I didn't include in the race report that my friend Greg was second in his age group (out of 4) so he won a place at the Mont Tremblant World 70.3 championship and then I got a place on the trickle down.  Pretty embarrassing as I was 16th/18 so I got it just because I was the only one there.  I wasn't keen to go but Greg was really excited but I knew my wife had an event of her own on the date (Sept 7th, 2014) and after she supports me I want support her equally well.  As soon as he realized it was this year and not next he realized it wasn't practical.  Quick calculations figured it would cost about $5000 for a HIM.  I'd rather do the Challenge St. Andrews in New Brunswick if I'm going to go that far.

QUESTION - I'd appreciate your opinions - As I finished at Calgary I was certain I never wanted to do another triathlon except Cultus Lake Oly (because I think I can beat 3hrs there).  So I am now struggling with whether or not I should do the Challenge Penticton half distance.  I really want to support the event but this soon after Calgary I'm not sure it is a wise idea.  I know I could swim and do the bike although the bike would be slow due to a lot of climbing but my run in Calgary was mediocre at best and I'm not likely to get any stronger between now and Aug 24th.  Any thoughts on "Should I or shouldn't I?"

2014-08-02 4:28 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Great race report George, your stoicism is inspiring . Congrats on the finish and the perseverance through a tough run!

Re: another HIM in 3 weeks time...can your body take another big effort so soon? Could you support the event by volunteering (or similar) instead? I'm sure you'll come to the right decision over the next few days/week or so. 

2014-08-02 4:33 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Carlo, good to see you back here, and I'm hearin' ya on the mental toughness collapse. I had that feeling for the half marathon a month back. Have to take it and learn from it but it looks like you're doing that already with the comeback sprint and Oly. Emjoy! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37189 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72633 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.