BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-08-29 5:54 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Originally posted by ransick

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Originally posted by PsyTri Hey, everyone! Healing up pretty well. Racing a sprint this Sunday for my birthday! It'll be my "re-do" of my first sprint a year ago. Looking to crush my first performance in all discplines. Very confident I can beat the old (younger) me! I am looking at the rest of my season and am considering doing my first oly in 3 months in Key West. It'll be a wet-suit legal ocean swim. Aside from getting used to a wetsuit, is 3 months sufficient time to bridge from sprint to oly? Right now, I'm at about 4-5 training hours per week. Is that feasible/advisable, or should I just look to bridge to oly in the off season? My biggest priority, of course, is injury prevention. Thoughts?

Gary - I had a look at your training log and I think you'd love an Olympic race.  You would likely finish with a sub 3hr time if everything goes according to plan.  You look to be in great shape in all three legs of the race and going from a sprint to an Oly isn't a big leap in nutritional considerations either.

BUT (you know there had to be a big butt, eh) - I think if you started out at your normal swim and bike pace you'd be fine and then for the run you could just hold back a little so you don't overexert yourself.  You'd still be under 1:00:00 for the run even if you took it easy.

I think Key West is the race I looked at (and wanted to do) last fall.  It looks like a really nice event.  I think once you make the leap to Olys and you've overcome your injuries you'll be unstoppable.

For training go to your local Library and find a book by Gale Bernhardt that includes an Oly training plan and look at the last 12 weeks and see if you feel you can do it.  You could even use it to make your leap to the Oly.  I really like her plans.

Don't feel you have to jump up to Olys.  If you don't feel ready next year will still work for you just as well.

I have the Gale Bernhardt book and put the HIM plan in a Google spreadsheet so I could access my daily workouts from anywhere. I added the GB full IM plan when I thought I was going to sign up for a full IM. I added several Hal Higdon marathon tabs this year. After seeing George's suggestion to check out the GB book, I added the 24 week Gale Bernhardt Oly plan to the spread sheet so you can check it out. If anyone in this group wants to add more tabs, I'd be happy to give anyone who wants it write access.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar5EpJvYM2b1dEs0VjFhZlR...

Let me know if you have trouble opening it or if you have any questions. There is also a 52 week Oly plan in the book but didn't feel like entering it tonight :-).

Very informative mike!!
Good training plans up there , The IM training plan is not as demanding its only requiring 2X Century Rides and 2x3hr. Runs.
Thanks again

2014-08-29 6:23 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

That's a great resource Mike! I've actually been spending a bit of time on the one you posted back in the last group, rejigging it to work for me for the next 5 months, but I might have to have a closer look at the newer plans you've put on.

I've had a very lazy time over the past week, just doing all that life stuff we don't do when we spend the time on training. Chores, idly surfing the internet (non triathlon related), eating...oh, then eating some more. Starting to feel the pull of needing to get moving again soon and also starting to come back to the forum. So hello again everyone! Now to spend a bit of time catching up on posts I've missed...

2014-08-29 9:45 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Taringa

That's a great resource Mike! I've actually been spending a bit of time on the one you posted back in the last group, rejigging it to work for me for the next 5 months, but I might have to have a closer look at the newer plans you've put on.

I've had a very lazy time over the past week, just doing all that life stuff we don't do when we spend the time on training. Chores, idly surfing the internet (non triathlon related), eating...oh, then eating some more. Starting to feel the pull of needing to get moving again soon and also starting to come back to the forum. So hello again everyone! Now to spend a bit of time catching up on posts I've missed...

Anna

what your doing is all normal , your bike leg may have cut from your race , but thats still one tough feat. 2km swim + riding in a bad weather + Half marathon is no way easy nor can be winged out. You deserve a break if it was me ill do nothing for atleast two weeks and catch up with family. You can do off season maintenance mode.

Have Fun!!!

2014-08-29 3:41 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

Hey, everyone! Healing up pretty well. Racing a sprint this Sunday for my birthday! It'll be my "re-do" of my first sprint a year ago. Looking to crush my first performance in all discplines. Very confident I can beat the old (younger) me!

I am looking at the rest of my season and am considering doing my first oly in 3 months in Key West. It'll be a wet-suit legal ocean swim. Aside from getting used to a wetsuit, is 3 months sufficient time to bridge from sprint to oly? Right now, I'm at about 4-5 training hours per week. Is that feasible/advisable, or should I just look to bridge to oly in the off season? My biggest priority, of course, is injury prevention. Thoughts?

3 months is enough time to train for an Oly since you have a good base. I'd go for it if you are confident in the swim.
2014-08-31 12:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Mike - I love your spreadsheet.  The plans in the book are great but your spreadsheet is so much easier to follow.

I had trouble logging in yesterday and today but finally managed to get in and update my training log.  Today, I did a bike/run brick aiming for an hour of each.  The bike was great a bit cool at the start but really felt fast but then I got home and transitioned to my run gear and took off again.  I was pleased to be able to run the whole time except for a couple traffic lights.  The part I really appreciated though was that I was able to run slightly faster today - off the bike - than I was able to run the same route on Wednesday.

I can't believe how fast our summer has disappeared.  Our days are getting shorter fast and the temperature has dropped dramatically in only two days.  Plus, we can see evidence of the leaves changing colour.  I'm hoping we'll get 6 more open water swims in before the lake cools down too much and we have to move back into the pool.

2014-08-31 4:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Carlo--when you put it like that, a week off is certainly justified! I'm starting to get twitchy now so I'll start up again tomorrow (Monday, 1st September, 1st day of spring for us southerners...a good day to start!).

George--sounds like you had a ball volunteering. A very long, but very rewarding day!

Gary, great to hear the healing is going well and you're racing Sunday. That would be today? (Time difference gets me every time...) Good luck and have fun! Oh, and happy birthday too .

Nicole--great news on the Baltimore Tri, and Marilyn--I hope the treadmill/trail running's going ok for you now.  So frustrating when you're injured and want to get moving!

Miche, I hope you're through the slump, that post was a while ago, is it getting any better? Hang in there!

And Mike, great little snippets of advice and encouragement, as usual. 

Just for something else to think about, has anyone heard of the Arch to Arc ultra triathlon? 483km in total: 140km run from London to Dover, then swim the English channel, then 291km bike ride to Paris. This year's winner made it in to Paris on Friday in 61 hours 21 minutes. Absolutely amazing.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/swimming/australian-john-van-wisse-breaks-world-record-in-arch-to-arc-triathlon-from-london-to-paris-20140829-109tal.html

Edited by Taringa 2014-08-31 4:01 AM

2014-08-31 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4999046

User image

Guys, great advice and encouragement on the oly. I'm getting the books and will decide what to do soon.

In the mean time, basking in the afterglow of my race today. Placed 4th in my AG. Report to follow. For now, a beer and a birthday party!!!

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll have to catch up on the recent posts soon. Until then, relaxing!
2014-08-31 12:02 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Mike - I love your spreadsheet.  The plans in the book are great but your spreadsheet is so much easier to follow.

I had trouble logging in yesterday and today but finally managed to get in and update my training log.  Today, I did a bike/run brick aiming for an hour of each.  The bike was great a bit cool at the start but really felt fast but then I got home and transitioned to my run gear and took off again.  I was pleased to be able to run the whole time except for a couple traffic lights.  The part I really appreciated though was that I was able to run slightly faster today - off the bike - than I was able to run the same route on Wednesday.

I can't believe how fast our summer has disappeared.  Our days are getting shorter fast and the temperature has dropped dramatically in only two days.  Plus, we can see evidence of the leaves changing colour.  I'm hoping we'll get 6 more open water swims in before the lake cools down too much and we have to move back into the pool.

Great brick George!

I love the spreadsheet too. It allows me to access it from anywhere.
2014-08-31 12:04 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Carlo--when you put it like that, a week off is certainly justified! I'm starting to get twitchy now so I'll start up again tomorrow (Monday, 1st September, 1st day of spring for us southerners...a good day to start!).

George--sounds like you had a ball volunteering. A very long, but very rewarding day!

Gary, great to hear the healing is going well and you're racing Sunday. That would be today? (Time difference gets me every time...) Good luck and have fun! Oh, and happy birthday too .

Nicole--great news on the Baltimore Tri, and Marilyn--I hope the treadmill/trail running's going ok for you now.  So frustrating when you're injured and want to get moving!

Miche, I hope you're through the slump, that post was a while ago, is it getting any better? Hang in there!

And Mike, great little snippets of advice and encouragement, as usual. 

Just for something else to think about, has anyone heard of the Arch to Arc ultra triathlon? 483km in total: 140km run from London to Dover, then swim the English channel, then 291km bike ride to Paris. This year's winner made it in to Paris on Friday in 61 hours 21 minutes. Absolutely amazing.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/swimming/australian-john-van-wisse-breaks-world-record-in-arch-to-arc-triathlon-from-london-to-paris-20140829-109tal.html

Happy 1st day of spring! We are about a month a way from the weather feeling like fall. I think we are about a month behind George down here in St. Louis.
2014-08-31 12:05 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Guys, great advice and encouragement on the oly. I'm getting the books and will decide what to do soon.

In the mean time, basking in the afterglow of my race today. Placed 4th in my AG. Report to follow. For now, a beer and a birthday party!!!

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll have to catch up on the recent posts soon. Until then, relaxing!

Congrats on a great race! Looking forward to the race report.
2014-08-31 5:09 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

This is the Gary i know

2014-08-31 8:15 PM

User image

Enjoy the RR. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Looking at next couple races now. Feeling really great.
2014-08-31 9:17 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Enjoy the RR. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Looking at next couple races now. Feeling really great.

That was a heartracing read!!! congrats!!!
2014-09-01 5:10 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Great race! You must be absolutely stoked with the result, that's a great finish. Congratulations!

2014-09-01 9:33 PM

User image

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Very stoked, indeed.

I feel like I'm getting a better sense of where I need to be putting my training energies for now. Eyeing a race in either 4 or 6 weeks. The first is probably the most popular race down here - Escape to Miami. They do have a Sprint, even though the Oly gets most of the attention. 1500 participants. The other is a smaller local lake race similar to the one that I just completed (put on by the same group). I'll decide soon.

Meanwhile, got out for a 70 minute recovery ride today and felt really good.

Hope everyone else is having fun and training hard.

Cheers.
2014-09-02 8:23 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Great, RR Gary!! Very nice work, and way to finish strong! A good kick at the end always feels good!

I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend. I didn't train much, so am feeling a little blah right now, especially since I am only a month out from my race. I haven't been out on my bike since my last tri in June, so I need to plan some rides very soon! I also woke up with the start of a cold today. I thought it was allergies but my allergy medicine hasn't done much since I took it. I went for a swim this morning but had trouble breathing. Gonna take some cold-eeze and try to nip it in the bud.

Also, I'm not sure if I told you guys this yet, but I am going to start teaching swim lessons at my gym. I work at the front desk now, which is pretty boring but it gets me a free membership. I was giving my friend a lesson and the aquatics director saw me and asked if I'd be interested in becoming an instructor. I'm pretty excited, and hopefully get to start soon! I'm excited to get some new triathletes :-)

2014-09-02 10:01 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Torturous run yesterday 2 hrs. @. 95F

@ Anna

I did not notice your post A to A Ultra includes swimming the english channel thats one of the most Insane!!!! things to do in a lifetime. Dreaming is for free so if i have the endurance for it looks like its the best scenery

@Nicole

I would line up to schedule lessons with you. Goodluck on your new venture. Train well for Baltimore Tri

happy training everyone

Cheers!!!
2014-09-02 10:48 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks, Carlo! Hopefully others feel the same :-)
2014-09-02 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Anna - Your race with the channel swim is a bit out of my league.  A few of the ladies that swim the same days we do have been training to do a relay swim of the channel.  I think I like our local lake better.

Nicole - Swim instructor could be fun.  Hopefully you'll get some newbies.

A lady we know from volunteering at Challenge (& Ironman before that) sent us a link to this Challenge Penticton video.  I thought it might be of interest to anyone curious about what the Penticton area looks like for training.  Just ignore the advertising at the beginning and the end.  The whole video is about 8min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2KGRxuZjOY

I hope this will connect.  I was never able to get any of my photos to open in the past.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-09-02 10:54 PM
2014-09-03 5:39 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Great link George, it's interesting to see where other people live. The mountains look very dry, and certainly challenging. Your road surfaces look excellent, with a nice wide shoulder to ride on, although being on the right hand side seems completely out of kilter for me.

Just in comparison, here's the video for the Gold Coast Challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqTMrmIdyWE&feature=youtu.be 

Edited by Taringa 2014-09-03 5:40 AM
2014-09-03 2:05 PM

User image

Both look like phenomenal venues for a race. So picturesque. Thanks for sharing.

2014-09-03 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Great link George, it's interesting to see where other people live. The mountains look very dry, and certainly challenging. Your road surfaces look excellent, with a nice wide shoulder to ride on, although being on the right hand side seems completely out of kilter for me.

Just in comparison, here's the video for the Gold Coast Challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqTMrmIdyWE&feature=youtu.be 

Our area is pretty dry.  We get very little snow and only a few days of rain a year. 

Your video was great to see as well.  Not like I would've guessed.  The area looks very lush & similar to our Vancouver which gets a lot more rain than we do.  I didn't notice anyone using the left hand side in the video.  I'll have to watch it again.

I went down to the lake for a swim today but the wind was up and the waves were too rough so I postponed the swim to Friday. 

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-09-03 10:39 PM
2014-09-06 5:03 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Master
St. Louis
How is everyone doing? I'm in the thick of marathon training. Had my biggest running month ever in August. Today was my first ever 20 miler and it went pretty well though stairs aren't my friend at the moment :-).

Hope everyone is doing well.
2014-09-07 5:28 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Sounding pretty focussed there Mike! Still just pottering around here with no real purpose. I had a nice run yesterday morning in the trails near home, found some steep rocky paths and some lovely views of the surrounding bush from the small cliffs at the top, once I transfer pics from phone to PC I'll post them. Apart from that I'm starting to feel a little antsy, I need to find a goal race and work towards it, but I'm not sure what I want to do at this stage. Maybe stick to the trails, dust off my mtb and get back to nature...

2014-09-08 8:16 AM

User image

Go get it! I want you as the runner on my relay team (if I ever form one!).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37428 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72766 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.