BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-09-13 1:29 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open

Originally posted by miche033

Hi Everyone. So I survived the first two weeks of school (for me) and kindergarten (my eldest). I haven't been training too much, but some. I'm thinking of just focusing on a half marathon in November and not doing any other races til then. I'm just not into it right now. Too much other stuff going on. Will work on catching up with y'all.

come do outer banks with me!

2014-09-13 2:54 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by PsyTri

anyone in here do nutrition logging?  i used to do it compulsively when i was a bodybuilder, and years of counting macronutrients I got REALLY good at estimating cals just by looking at a meal.  then i got into endurance and got out of that habit.  logged my meals today and - NO WONDER i can't seem to get my weight down (i'm only looking for 5/10 pounds max)  i really thought i was doing better.

i am doing GREAT on my current training plan, i need some accountability in eating.  can't believe that i'm even having this problem!

I did the nutrition logging out of curiosity for a few weeks, and it was very time consuming. Could not enjoy my meals and free feeding behaviors! I got to a recommended number of calories per day by denying myself at the end of the day or when I was hungry. Ended up canning the whole thing because it was becoming an unwanted obsession. So are you out of the woods with the ankle finally? I know men and women's bodies are very different, but I've found that the running keeps me at the lower end of my weight range. You? Definitely beats the nutrition logging.

I am running consistently, and 8 weeks out from a half marathon.  running does NOT help me keep my weight down - last year when i trained for a marathon i actually gained weight.  running makes me SOOO HUNGRY!  i'm not a big fan of denying myself foods either, i try to force myself to think carefully if i am HUNGRY or just BORED/STRESSED when i eat, i can be a very emotional eater!  i'm just finding that with NO rules in place, i am definitely eating much more than i thought i was.  middle ground is tough for me, though, ha.

I don't log. I weigh myself every morning and if I'm above the max I want to be at, I eat salad. I would like to lose five pounds before my marathon but I'm hungry all the time and I like to drink good beer :-)
2014-09-14 7:11 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Pearland,Tx
Survived my HIM today

i did not PR , but not as bad as before.

will post when results are up.

Cheers

Carlo
2014-09-14 8:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

Survived my HIM today

Cheers

Carlo

Way to go Carlo. Way to persevere. Hope it was enjoyable. Looking forward to the RR. Congrats!
2014-09-14 8:16 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Survived my HIM today

Cheers

Carlo

Looking forward to the report!
2014-09-15 1:26 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
RR
here fellow trainees any advice to make good on the run is appreciated thanks.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2014-09-15 7:06 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by strykergt RR here fellow trainees any advice to make good on the run is appreciated thanks. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

i've never done a HIM so no real advice there, but 83 degrees is rough weather for even a standalone 13.1, and i'd be pleased with that time!

2014-09-15 9:39 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey Everyone!

I am less than 3 weeks out from my tri and feeling a little anxious. I have not been running much (although I ran this morning and felt okay). Swimming I feel pretty good about. I swam with a masters team on Wednesday and they kicked my butt (I usually just go and swim about a mile or so, but with them I swam 2700m and left early b/c I couldn't keep up with them anymore, haha). I am going to try it out again on Wednesday and then may join and go once or twice a week. I went out on my bike on Saturday for the first time and felt okay there, too, but am not sure how much more I will get in before my tri. Luckily it is a sprint so I will just go my hardest and hope for the best :-)

In early October I don't know how cold the water will be. I know it will be wetsuit legal, but does that mean I need to wear one? What are people's thoughts on wetsuits? I don't have one yet, so would have to purchase or rent one, but am not completely sold on wearing one yet.

Thanks!
2014-09-15 9:51 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by nicole14e Hey Everyone! I am less than 3 weeks out from my tri and feeling a little anxious. I have not been running much (although I ran this morning and felt okay). Swimming I feel pretty good about. I swam with a masters team on Wednesday and they kicked my butt (I usually just go and swim about a mile or so, but with them I swam 2700m and left early b/c I couldn't keep up with them anymore, haha). I am going to try it out again on Wednesday and then may join and go once or twice a week. I went out on my bike on Saturday for the first time and felt okay there, too, but am not sure how much more I will get in before my tri. Luckily it is a sprint so I will just go my hardest and hope for the best :-) In early October I don't know how cold the water will be. I know it will be wetsuit legal, but does that mean I need to wear one? What are people's thoughts on wetsuits? I don't have one yet, so would have to purchase or rent one, but am not completely sold on wearing one yet. Thanks!

I've been doing tris for like 4 or 5 years and don't own a wetsuit.  If YOU are comfortable in the water with the temperature, you don't need one.  I personally think water is quite nice in the mid-60s.  The pool I train in is 68.  You can probably also google around for temperatures and histories for your race.  

2014-09-15 10:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by nicole14e Hey Everyone! I am less than 3 weeks out from my tri and feeling a little anxious. I have not been running much (although I ran this morning and felt okay). Swimming I feel pretty good about. I swam with a masters team on Wednesday and they kicked my butt (I usually just go and swim about a mile or so, but with them I swam 2700m and left early b/c I couldn't keep up with them anymore, haha). I am going to try it out again on Wednesday and then may join and go once or twice a week. I went out on my bike on Saturday for the first time and felt okay there, too, but am not sure how much more I will get in before my tri. Luckily it is a sprint so I will just go my hardest and hope for the best :-) In early October I don't know how cold the water will be. I know it will be wetsuit legal, but does that mean I need to wear one? What are people's thoughts on wetsuits? I don't have one yet, so would have to purchase or rent one, but am not completely sold on wearing one yet. Thanks!

I've been doing tris for like 4 or 5 years and don't own a wetsuit.  If YOU are comfortable in the water with the temperature, you don't need one.  I personally think water is quite nice in the mid-60s.  The pool I train in is 68.  You can probably also google around for temperatures and histories for your race.  

*Marilyn

Thanks for the nice words. 68 on skin Wow! your a Seal skin .

*Nicole

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am with Marilyn whatever you decide and if you decide to get a wetsuit you can always rent and try it out first it can be constricting without practice use bodyglide on all the moving joints of your body while swimming shoulders you'll know where once you get moving in the water with the suit. Goodluck on your sprint. I hope the sprints here are scheduled on my off days i always end up with the longer ones.

Edited by strykergt 2014-09-15 10:18 AM
2014-09-15 7:11 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey Everyone!

I am less than 3 weeks out from my tri and feeling a little anxious. I have not been running much (although I ran this morning and felt okay). Swimming I feel pretty good about. I swam with a masters team on Wednesday and they kicked my butt (I usually just go and swim about a mile or so, but with them I swam 2700m and left early b/c I couldn't keep up with them anymore, haha). I am going to try it out again on Wednesday and then may join and go once or twice a week. I went out on my bike on Saturday for the first time and felt okay there, too, but am not sure how much more I will get in before my tri. Luckily it is a sprint so I will just go my hardest and hope for the best :-)

In early October I don't know how cold the water will be. I know it will be wetsuit legal, but does that mean I need to wear one? What are people's thoughts on wetsuits? I don't have one yet, so would have to purchase or rent one, but am not completely sold on wearing one yet.

Thanks!

I like wearing a wetsuit for the added buoyancy but like Marilyn said, if you are comfortable without one, go for it. If you want one, you can use the discount code BT at Xterra wetsuits and get an entry level wet suit for a decent price.

2014-09-16 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

We just got home after Sunday's Oly.  I haven't had time to assess all my feelings about the race.  I had a good time but I'm disappointed with a fair few things (I'll explain later).  Phenomenal weather though.

Marilyn - Happy birthday!!  I'm hoping you feel great and don't at all feel old like the group of young'uns in the Cup of Joe thread. 

2014-09-17 8:04 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thank you everyone for the wetsuit advice! I might try it without one for now and then next year do a couple tests in one to see if I like it. I feel better though knowing I don't NEED one.

Had the masters swim class this morning. Holy crap. My arms are so dead, but the coach gave me some helpful advice today (I wasn't reaching enough), so now I have something to work on the next couple weeks.
2014-09-17 8:34 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Marilyn - Happy birthday!!  I'm hoping you feel great and don't at all feel old like the group of young'uns in the Cup of Joe thread. 

i feel fine!  except for the massive burrito i had for lunch yesterday that is still reeking havoc on my guts :-P  but not old at all.

2014-09-17 9:01 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pearland,Tx

i feel fine!  except for the massive burrito i had for lunch yesterday that is still reeking havoc on my guts :-P  but not old at all.

Happy Birthday Marilyn

@George

Congrats Bro RR??

2014-09-18 10:02 AM

User image

Happy Birthday Marilyn

@George

Congrats Bro RR??

I always enjoy George's RRs! Can't wait to read it.

2014-09-18 10:02 AM

User image

Happy Birthday Marilyn

@George

Congrats Bro RR??

I always enjoy George's RRs! Can't wait to read it.
2014-09-18 10:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Need some running advice from you veterans out there. It requires some context, so please bear with my long post.

It's been about 4-1/2 weeks now since I strained my left Achilles while running a rolling path. In addition to all of my biomechanical issues from flat feet that make running on hills a risk (even with my orthotics and proper running shoes), I think I had not warmed up enough that day and was running a bit too hard, pretty much at race pace. I did a lot of icing and stretching initially and scaled back on my running before the next sprint 2 weeks afterward, when I PR'd the run on a flat course.

The last 2-1/2 weeks since the race, I've added in more stretching and strengthening, along with foam rolling, icing, compression socks, and ibuprophen after runs. Aside from a couple brief brick runs (5-10 minutes) that have been quite intense in the last couple weeks (3k pace or quicker), I've been keeping the intensity level low to moderate and have only been really running 2x/week. I have still felt twinges in the Achilles during and after some of my runs and for the last week, it's had a dull ache on and off.

My next race (sprint) is in a week and a half. The kicker is that the run involves 2 passes over a significant bridge. I am estimating that 1/3 of the course is on a moderate incline, 1/3 decline, and 1/3 flat. I have done just about no hill work in advance of this race in order to spare my Achilles. I was planning to incorporate some hills (bridges) into my 49 min endurance run on Sunday before my taper week, and then have a 30 min brick run next Thursday before Sunday's race.

I'm trying to figure out whether I want to even run anymore before the race, much less incorporate some hills. Am I better off resting the legs and letting the Achilles settle down, but still stretch/strengthen it? That way, my legs will be as rested as possible on race day. Or, should I do at least some hills to work on form, knowing that I could possibly stress the Achilles out so close to the race? Or just do some low intensity, short, flat work to keep my legs ready?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by PsyTri 2014-09-18 11:44 AM
2014-09-18 4:18 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by PsyTri ...[Lots of stuff about running]... Thoughts? Thanks.
Hey Psy, I don't have any great insight, but I'll throw out there: have you tried aquajogging?  Strapping on that belt and get in the water to run?   It's no impact, and I've heard people tout its benefits go so far as to say it is nearly or just as good as actual running.  I've read a bunch of stories of people with similar injuries doing aqua jogging to maintain condition during recovery.  It's especially good for speed work, or so I've heard, because of the drag when moving fast.

2014-09-18 8:33 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

Need some running advice from you veterans out there. It requires some context, so please bear with my long post.

It's been about 4-1/2 weeks now since I strained my left Achilles while running a rolling path. In addition to all of my biomechanical issues from flat feet that make running on hills a risk (even with my orthotics and proper running shoes), I think I had not warmed up enough that day and was running a bit too hard, pretty much at race pace. I did a lot of icing and stretching initially and scaled back on my running before the next sprint 2 weeks afterward, when I PR'd the run on a flat course.

The last 2-1/2 weeks since the race, I've added in more stretching and strengthening, along with foam rolling, icing, compression socks, and ibuprophen after runs. Aside from a couple brief brick runs (5-10 minutes) that have been quite intense in the last couple weeks (3k pace or quicker), I've been keeping the intensity level low to moderate and have only been really running 2x/week. I have still felt twinges in the Achilles during and after some of my runs and for the last week, it's had a dull ache on and off.

My next race (sprint) is in a week and a half. The kicker is that the run involves 2 passes over a significant bridge. I am estimating that 1/3 of the course is on a moderate incline, 1/3 decline, and 1/3 flat. I have done just about no hill work in advance of this race in order to spare my Achilles. I was planning to incorporate some hills (bridges) into my 49 min endurance run on Sunday before my taper week, and then have a 30 min brick run next Thursday before Sunday's race.

I'm trying to figure out whether I want to even run anymore before the race, much less incorporate some hills. Am I better off resting the legs and letting the Achilles settle down, but still stretch/strengthen it? That way, my legs will be as rested as possible on race day. Or, should I do at least some hills to work on form, knowing that I could possibly stress the Achilles out so close to the race? Or just do some low intensity, short, flat work to keep my legs ready?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I wouldn't risk injury so close to the race but would keep some low intensity, short, flat work. I would keep up the stretching, strengthening and ice.
2014-09-18 8:35 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by PsyTri ...[Lots of stuff about running]... Thoughts? Thanks.
Hey Psy, I don't have any great insight, but I'll throw out there: have you tried aquajogging?  Strapping on that belt and get in the water to run?   It's no impact, and I've heard people tout its benefits go so far as to say it is nearly or just as good as actual running.  I've read a bunch of stories of people with similar injuries doing aqua jogging to maintain condition during recovery.  It's especially good for speed work, or so I've heard, because of the drag when moving fast.

I like this idea.

2014-09-18 8:53 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys/Girls

I appreciate all your thoughts and feedback from my last HIM. I have an opportunity for another HIM 6 weeks after my recovery this week. IF I were to do it i have my 6 weeks training plan below let me know your feedback and thoughts about it:

5 weeks
3XSwim .5 hrs,.5hrs, 1hr.
3XBike 1 hr,1.5 hrs, 3 hrs
5XRun .5 hr,1 hr, .5hr,1 hr,.5 hrs,2 hrs.

1 week taper

2 swim.5 hr , .5 hr
1 hr. bike
2-Jog, .5 hr., .5 hr

Let me know watcha think

Thanks

Carlo
2014-09-18 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All,  I've been having trouble figuring out my race.  My times were all out of whack compared to what I was expecting and from what I heard from others at the race I wasn't the only one to feel that way.  I felt good throughout the race but everything was s-l-o-w.  I'm still sorting out my thoughts but I'll write a RR pretty quick.

I am still mulling the pro and con of doing a full course at Challenge next August.  After Sunday I was absolutely NOT going to do a long race but I still want to talk to a friend that did it last month and see how she felt about it.  I don't doubt I'd be slow but I think I could finish before midnight but that is such a long day.

I'm taking it easy for a few days but I'm thinking I'll try one last swim in the lake tomorrow (alone!) if it is calm.  The water temp was 19C/66F yesterday but it was cool and raining today so I hope it won't have cooled too much.  I know my "Swim Fit" group is swimming at 9:00 tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to returning to the pool.  Once I get used to it again I enjoy it but there is always that reluctance to get over.

2014-09-18 11:51 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Pearland,Tx

Hi All,  I've been having trouble figuring out my race.  My times were all out of whack compared to what I was expecting and from what I heard from others at the race I wasn't the only one to feel that way.  I felt good throughout the race but everything was s-l-o-w.  I'm still sorting out my thoughts but I'll write a RR pretty quick.

I am still mulling the pro and con of doing a full course at Challenge next August.  After Sunday I was absolutely NOT going to do a long race but I still want to talk to a friend that did it last month and see how she felt about it.  I don't doubt I'd be slow but I think I could finish before midnight but that is such a long day.

I'm taking it easy for a few days but I'm thinking I'll try one last swim in the lake tomorrow (alone!) if it is calm.  The water temp was 19C/66F yesterday but it was cool and raining today so I hope it won't have cooled too much.  I know my "Swim Fit" group is swimming at 9:00 tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to returning to the pool.  Once I get used to it again I enjoy it but there is always that reluctance to get over.

George

IF you plan to do the Full Distance ill back you up. I am no way an expert on this. I am happy to share my research for minimalist training plans (just finish).

Whatever you decide bro

Cheers

Carlo

2014-09-19 9:10 AM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

This is a great idea, Joe. I had to aqua jog in college when I had a stress fracture in my shin. Once I was cleared to run I had about 2 weeks before conferences and was able to race and even placed in the 800. Warning: It is SO boring, but if there is music playing or something that would probably make it more enjoyable :-)
http://run.isport.com/running-guides/aqua-jogging-basics-for-runner... this is a good guide. It tells you the proper form (I found a video where the guy had the belt on backwards and was leaning forward...don't follow that video). You don't need a belt though if you don't have one, it just gives you a little extra buoyancy.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37199 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72636 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.