BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-09-19 9:34 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Thanks everyone for the input on the Achilles. I believe I made a similar suggestion to Marylin when she was going through her ankle difficulties! She was about as enthused about it as I am Nicole - thanks for the link. The opening paragraph summed up my preconceived notions of aquajogging, but then explained it in a way that makes me *slightly* less inclined to give it a try

This close to the race I don't want to introduce anything totally new. Possibly afterward. I think I'll just aggressively rehab my lower legs, keep at the strengthening and stretching, and stay off too many hills during my last two pre-race runs. I've also decided to skip a planned race three weeks after this next one, which would give me a month and a half to more gradually prep for my mid-November sprint. May do an oly in January. Still giving it some thought. Feeling hopeful about recovering and strengthening in the off season.

@strykergt: I just ran across a very interesting article that you might find useful about the value of bricks and how it can really help the run.

http://www.xtri.com/features/detail/284-itemId.511713637.html

Enjoy!

Gary

2014-09-19 11:31 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by ransick
Originally posted by PsyTri Need some running advice from you veterans out there. It requires some context, so please bear with my long post. It's been about 4-1/2 weeks now since I strained my left Achilles while running a rolling path. In addition to all of my biomechanical issues from flat feet that make running on hills a risk (even with my orthotics and proper running shoes), I think I had not warmed up enough that day and was running a bit too hard, pretty much at race pace. I did a lot of icing and stretching initially and scaled back on my running before the next sprint 2 weeks afterward, when I PR'd the run on a flat course. The last 2-1/2 weeks since the race, I've added in more stretching and strengthening, along with foam rolling, icing, compression socks, and ibuprophen after runs. Aside from a couple brief brick runs (5-10 minutes) that have been quite intense in the last couple weeks (3k pace or quicker), I've been keeping the intensity level low to moderate and have only been really running 2x/week. I have still felt twinges in the Achilles during and after some of my runs and for the last week, it's had a dull ache on and off. My next race (sprint) is in a week and a half. The kicker is that the run involves 2 passes over a significant bridge. I am estimating that 1/3 of the course is on a moderate incline, 1/3 decline, and 1/3 flat. I have done just about no hill work in advance of this race in order to spare my Achilles. I was planning to incorporate some hills (bridges) into my 49 min endurance run on Sunday before my taper week, and then have a 30 min brick run next Thursday before Sunday's race. I'm trying to figure out whether I want to even run anymore before the race, much less incorporate some hills. Am I better off resting the legs and letting the Achilles settle down, but still stretch/strengthen it? That way, my legs will be as rested as possible on race day. Or, should I do at least some hills to work on form, knowing that I could possibly stress the Achilles out so close to the race? Or just do some low intensity, short, flat work to keep my legs ready? Thoughts? Thanks.
I wouldn't risk injury so close to the race but would keep some low intensity, short, flat work. I would keep up the stretching, strengthening and ice.

ditto - if you are set on doing this race, take it easy leading up to it.  if you get to the race and you can't do the hills, that is one thing, but doing it now might keep you out of the race completely.  and warm up well!  walk the bridge inclines if you must.

2014-09-19 4:02 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Got it, boss! I'm taking the conservative approach, because I know how bad it sucks to be out of commission altogether. Thanks.
2014-09-20 8:57 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by PsyTri Got it, boss! I'm taking the conservative approach, because I know how bad it sucks to be out of commission altogether. Thanks.

yeah, at this point your fitness is "in the bank" so there is really not much benefit to truly outweigh the risk.  and out of commission DOES suck!  BADDD

2014-09-20 3:10 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Guys/Girls

I appreciate all your thoughts and feedback from my last HIM. I have an opportunity for another HIM 6 weeks after my recovery this week. IF I were to do it i have my 6 weeks training plan below let me know your feedback and thoughts about it:

5 weeks
3XSwim .5 hrs,.5hrs, 1hr.
3XBike 1 hr,1.5 hrs, 3 hrs
5XRun .5 hr,1 hr, .5hr,1 hr,.5 hrs,2 hrs.

1 week taper

2 swim.5 hr , .5 hr
1 hr. bike
2-Jog, .5 hr., .5 hr

Let me know watcha think

Thanks

Carlo

The time spent racing at a 70.3 is ratio'd out to roughly 3:2:1 so that's how I like to train. Given that, I'd bump up the biking and bump down the running. If you can make your long ride 4 or even 5 hours that will help make the bike leg seem easier at your race. You really only need one 2 hour run probably 3 weeks out from the race. You can make your long run 90 minutes 4 and 5 weeks out. I'd drop one of those 1 hour runs too. Just my two cents.
2014-09-21 12:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

2014-09-22 12:53 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by PsyTri Got it, boss! I'm taking the conservative approach, because I know how bad it sucks to be out of commission altogether. Thanks.

yeah, at this point your fitness is "in the bank" so there is really not much benefit to truly outweigh the risk.  and out of commission DOES suck!  BADDD

5+ mile run went well Sunday, considering a new running venue, hot temps, and a few rollers and 2 very short, shallow bridge passes. Gave me a chance to work on my endurance and hill running technique elements. Legs were very heavy and tired, probably from Saturday's 2 hr + computrainer ride with *many* climbing segments. Did a lot of foam rolling and stretching, and legs are feeling fine, but still a little tired. Looking forward to the taper. I have a short brick run on Thursday and will then just pamper my legs until race day. Thanks again for the encouragement and wisdom.

2014-09-24 11:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ladies, do any of you have recommendations for a good bike seat? I have the one that came with mine on there still, which is very comfortable, but probably not very good for racing.
2014-09-24 2:08 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by nicole14e Ladies, do any of you have recommendations for a good bike seat? I have the one that came with mine on there still, which is very comfortable, but probably not very good for racing.

Hi Nicole

Mike asked that I swing by and give you my two cents on saddles.    My suggestion is you take your bike to your LBS and work with a fitter to determine which saddle fits you best. Normally they will set it up for you on a trainer and let you pedal a while in aero/hoods/whatever way you normally ride.  Once you settle on the one you like best, a good shop should let you test it out for a few days on the road.  I went through this process a couple of years ago.  I tested out 6 different saddles that day and settled on one which I love and use on both of my bikes.  I've ridden three IMs on that saddle and never have an issue since I tested it out so well early on.

For me, that saddle is a SMPL LIte 209.  It has a cut out which may make you think it is made for a guy, but it works really well for this woman!

Good Luck

Suzy

2014-09-24 3:23 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by nicole14e Ladies, do any of you have recommendations for a good bike seat? I have the one that came with mine on there still, which is very comfortable, but probably not very good for racing.

Hi Nicole

Mike asked that I swing by and give you my two cents on saddles.    My suggestion is you take your bike to your LBS and work with a fitter to determine which saddle fits you best. Normally they will set it up for you on a trainer and let you pedal a while in aero/hoods/whatever way you normally ride.  Once you settle on the one you like best, a good shop should let you test it out for a few days on the road.  I went through this process a couple of years ago.  I tested out 6 different saddles that day and settled on one which I love and use on both of my bikes.  I've ridden three IMs on that saddle and never have an issue since I tested it out so well early on.

For me, that saddle is a SMPL LIte 209.  It has a cut out which may make you think it is made for a guy, but it works really well for this woman!

Good Luck

Suzy

Hey there,  Mike asked me to make a guest appearance with my two cents on seats. What Suzy said x 10. Your local bike shop, if they are good, will help you out wit a fit. I did the same process and went through 3 seats before I settled on one. Mine is the Terry liberator gel.( It too, has a cut out, don't know or care why..) It wasn't even the most expensive model Terry had, I have used it for a couple of Oly distances and a metric century with no problems. The great thing about my local bike shop is that they have a 30 day return policy, as long as it isn't torn up. I got to ride it in lots of real world conditions. Good luck to you.

2014-09-24 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Ladies, do any of you have recommendations for a good bike seat? I have the one that came with mine on there still, which is very comfortable, but probably not very good for racing.

Hi there, I'm also dropping by as Mike's guest to discuss saddles. The advice about going to the LBS is a great idea; maybe they will let you try out a couple of different styles. That said, I am partial to the Fizik Arione Tri.

2014-09-25 6:48 AM

User image

Bronze member

Another drop in from Mike, agree with everything that has already been suggested but just wondering why you feel your current seat is not good for racing? I loved the seat that came on my first road bike so much that when I bought my tri bike I moved it over to that bike! Eventually I sold that road bike, bought another and bought the same seat again.

But here is a link to what I've purchased http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/saddles/womens-roadtriathlon-saddles/womens-lithia-comp-gel

I love this seat but it comes in different widths. I ordered it on sale one time and didn't notice the size differences. It was too narrow and hitting me in all the wrong places. Perfect example of how sitting on some different saddles is going to be your best option!

When I moved this seat to my tri bike and needed a replacement for my road bike I bought this one from the bike shop after sitting on everything else they had:

http://spincity.co/product/serfas-womens-carma-77928-1.htm

2014-09-25 6:50 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

comfortable = VERY good for racing last thing i want out there suffering on the bike is grumpy lady parts.

2014-09-25 7:54 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thank you so much everyone for stopping by and giving me your opinions about seats (and thank you Mike for asking them for me)! I will definitely have to go by my bike shop this weekend and see what we can figure out.

My seat is big and bulky, that is why it's not a great seat for racing. I could ride on it for hours with no padded shorts, but since I'm just doing sprints right now I'd rather have something faster, and will be improving my bike piecemeal over time (started with pedals, seat is next, then maybe some aerobars ).

Thank you again for all the advice!
2014-09-25 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4999046

User image

My dilemma: Transition closes at 7 am. Sprint waves don't start until 845 (while the oly waves start and get out of the water) and mine not until 9. Totally throws off my warm up and breakfast routines. Usually I have juice upon waking and banana on way to race. Small hot coffee with part or whole clif bar about 45 min to hour befor start. Then do some run warm up and drop shoes off in transition before heading to the swim start. Not sure how to stay warmed up and when to eat and if I need more fuel right before swim start. Suggestions?
2014-09-25 8:34 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
You'll be fine nutrition wise eating like normal and not racing until two hours later. You have enough energy stored you could race without eating anything for breakfast (not recommended).

For warm up, bring an old pair of running shoes or buy a second pair and wear those for warm up. You can leave them behind the registration set up, on your car and even by a park bench and you should be fine. I like to keep two pairs of running shoes in rotation at all times and alternate runs in them. It allows them to dry out on days I have back to back runs.

2014-09-25 9:32 PM

User image

Yes -- great idea. Just thought up a scheme that involves an extra pair and some other steps. Thanks.
2014-09-27 9:15 PM
in reply to: #5054123

User image

I don't even know what to say. A half hour before I was to pack up to leave for check-in (mandatory check-in the day before race), I was doing some last-minute transition practices on my bike, with flying mount and dismount. On my last rep, I wrecked my bike, and injured my foot. It's too bruised and swollen to run on, so I didn't bother going down to check in. I won't be racing tomorrow. So disappointed and feeling foolish. Friggin ridiculous. Going drinking to watch some MMA for distraction. Race should be over by the time I wake up tomorrow. Just sucks.
2014-09-27 9:41 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

I don't even know what to say. A half hour before I was to pack up to leave for check-in (mandatory check-in the day before race), I was doing some last-minute transition practices on my bike, with flying mount and dismount. On my last rep, I wrecked my bike, and injured my foot. It's too bruised and swollen to run on, so I didn't bother going down to check in. I won't be racing tomorrow. So disappointed and feeling foolish. Friggin ridiculous. Going drinking to watch some MMA for distraction. Race should be over by the time I wake up tomorrow. Just sucks.

Wow, that really sucks. Sorry dude.
2014-09-28 12:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by PsyTri

Gary

Dont feel too bad. Im just glad your ok, just take it easy We all have our share of disapointments

Edited by strykergt 2014-09-28 12:20 AM

(dnf.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
dnf.jpg (48KB - 8 downloads)
2014-09-28 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by PsyTri I don't even know what to say. A half hour before I was to pack up to leave for check-in (mandatory check-in the day before race), I was doing some last-minute transition practices on my bike, with flying mount and dismount. On my last rep, I wrecked my bike, and injured my foot. It's too bruised and swollen to run on, so I didn't bother going down to check in. I won't be racing tomorrow. So disappointed and feeling foolish. Friggin ridiculous. Going drinking to watch some MMA for distraction. Race should be over by the time I wake up tomorrow. Just sucks.

That's harsh Gary.  I'm sure it is frustrating.  Hopefully, as Carlo says, you aren't hurt seriously and you'll heal quickly and be back at it again.

2014-09-28 9:07 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Carlo - Thanks for your post on my race report.  Since I wrote the report I was looking at "Sportstats.ca" for the Cultus Lake race and they show the average times for all Olympic athletes was 2:53:41 and last year it was 2:14:52.  Approximately 29% slower on average.  The swim was long and there was strong winds on the bike but 29% is a lot slower and I can't imagine what slowed us down so much. 

On a positive note my time was only 12.5% slower this year so I feel pretty good about it compared to the average.  Coincidentally, I looked at the Sprint race times and 2014 was exactly 29% slower as well.

2014-09-29 8:10 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Thanks for the support. My next race is not until mid-November but may jump onto a Sprint in a few weeks if my foot is healed up. We'll see.
2014-09-29 6:54 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by nicole14e

Thank you so much everyone for stopping by and giving me your opinions about seats (and thank you Mike for asking them for me)! I will definitely have to go by my bike shop this weekend and see what we can figure out.

My seat is big and bulky, that is why it's not a great seat for racing. I could ride on it for hours with no padded shorts, but since I'm just doing sprints right now I'd rather have something faster, and will be improving my bike piecemeal over time (started with pedals, seat is next, then maybe some aerobars ).

Thank you again for all the advice!

Two more recommendations just came in. Selle SMP Womens TRK and Adamo Naptime.
2014-09-29 11:27 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi guys, checking back in after a month of not really doing much. Motivation is back on track now I think.

So much has happened in the forum since I last looked in! 

~Gary, sorry to hear about your foot. After nursing the achilles so carefully, that's a major bummer to miss out with another injury. How wrecked is the bike, fixable I hope?

~Nicole, another ladies' seat to think of, I have the Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow and I'm pretty happy with it.

~George, RR looks comprehensive! I'll get onto reading that too now I've caught up on the forum .

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37519 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72912 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.