BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-10-30 10:02 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open

Originally posted by PsyTri George -- Sending support and thoughts to you and your family. Sorry to hear things have been so stressful. Good luck on getting your mojo back in the water. I sometimes find myself not enjoying it as much as other times. It's come and gone enough times for me to know that it always comes back! Sometimes I have just taken my eyes and mind off of the clock and just gone swimming. Kept going until I felt like stopping, and enjoyed the experience. It's helped. Thanks for the nutrition tips. I've been compiling what people have said and digging through the BT archives as well as the USAT website Fuel Station section. There are good general guidelines about replenishing fluids (about 22 - 28 oz fluid/hour, making allowances for sweat rate). Short of getting my sweat tested for salinity to guide me, however, I've seen nothing specific about guidelines for replenishing electrolytes aside from, "if you cramp, you probably needed electrolytes." The electrolyte drink products vary widely in their composition, so I'm going to have to experiment or research it more. There are better guidelines about nutrition (carbs, calories) and what one's body can absorb/hour. However, I'm still trying to figure out how to take into account my pre-exercise nutrition and the timing of my during-exercise nutrition.

A couple years ago a lady Pro was interviewed here and she talked about how she had a terrible race due to inadequate electrolytes so the next year she loaded up on electrolytes and then had a problem due to too many electrolytes so rely a lot on what you learn about yourself in your longer training sessions.  I think I need more than I've been getting and it hurts my run. especially in my HIMs.

Carlo - have fun this weekend.  Our season ended in mid September so it is hard to imagine you're still racing.  Our days are getting shorter fast now (sunsets almost 4hours earlier than in mid June and mornings are pitch black).  We'll likely have snow here in the next week or so although we've had a really mild autumn so far.

2014-10-31 7:00 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Pearland,Tx
George

thanks for thinking about me , my racing days are over last Sept too. I came down bad with a bad virus i am going to DNS this weekend currently bedridden. Hopefully start to recover so i can start atleast running . Ya'all guys and gals did well this season. Gary over there is from a state were theres no off season on Tris.

Cheers Everyone

Carlo
2014-10-31 11:06 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

George

thanks for thinking about me , my racing days are over last Sept too. I came down bad with a bad virus i am going to DNS this weekend currently bedridden. Hopefully start to recover so i can start atleast running . Ya'all guys and gals did well this season. Gary over there is from a state were theres no off season on Tris.

Cheers Everyone

Carlo

Bummer about the virus. Hope you can get back at it soon and start base building.
2014-11-02 4:31 AM
in reply to: #5056891

User image

Dude that stinks. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Florida races do thin out this month. Maybe a tri in dec, jan, then March, then starts to pick back up in April. BTW IMFL was yesterday. I obviously did not race but the swim was cancelled last minute due to rip currents!

I'm off for a run as the mercury dips into the high 40's! Which is pretty darn cold for these parts of FL! Warm thoughts!
2014-11-02 5:51 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Name - Tom

Story - I do not have a story. I am just starting to train. I don't really have anyone to bounce ideas off of, so I thought a group might be helpful. Right now I am training at the local gym in a pool, stationary bike and treadmill. The gym has an indoor track and I plan to do some real running once a week. Overall, I am planning to train 5 days a week for my first month. I am in presently in North Dakota so outdoor opportunities are off the table for a while.

Family Status - Married with two teenage boys.

Races - I plan to do my first sprint next May and plan to add more dates for the summer next spring. I am more drawn to the faster, shorter distances. I don't think I have the mental capacity to train or participate in the long distance races. I have been thinking about maybe trying a XTERRA next year as well.

Weight Loss - I would like to lose about 10 pounds, but I haven't really thought to much about it. I figure the training will take of it, provided I stick with it.

Any ideas for indoor training?
2014-11-03 8:00 AM
in reply to: RockHead

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome, Tom!

I am also a shorter, faster race person. The races are really fun (I just did my first 2 this year)!!!

I found on top of just a stationary bike, taking spin classes was really helpful for me last winter. I felt more motivated when I knew other people would be there to hold me accountable. Also, just doing basic Core exercises is helpful (and I believe they have some good core workouts in the beginners tab at the top).

Happy training!

2014-11-03 7:52 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Originally posted by nicole14e

Welcome, Tom!

I am also a shorter, faster race person. The races are really fun (I just did my first 2 this year)!!!

I found on top of just a stationary bike, taking spin classes was really helpful for me last winter. I felt more motivated when I knew other people would be there to hold me accountable. Also, just doing basic Core exercises is helpful (and I believe they have some good core workouts in the beginners tab at the top).

Happy training!

Thanks Nicole.

I have thought about going to a spin class. I am a little nervous I may get in over my head and not be able to leave until the class is over. I do strength exercises after my training workouts which include core workouts on three day rotations.
2014-11-03 9:31 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by RockHead

Name - Tom

Story - I do not have a story. I am just starting to train. I don't really have anyone to bounce ideas off of, so I thought a group might be helpful. Right now I am training at the local gym in a pool, stationary bike and treadmill. The gym has an indoor track and I plan to do some real running once a week. Overall, I am planning to train 5 days a week for my first month. I am in presently in North Dakota so outdoor opportunities are off the table for a while.

Family Status - Married with two teenage boys.

Races - I plan to do my first sprint next May and plan to add more dates for the summer next spring. I am more drawn to the faster, shorter distances. I don't think I have the mental capacity to train or participate in the long distance races. I have been thinking about maybe trying a XTERRA next year as well.

Weight Loss - I would like to lose about 10 pounds, but I haven't really thought to much about it. I figure the training will take of it, provided I stick with it.

Any ideas for indoor training?

Welcome Tom!

Bike trainer, treadmill and pool for indoor training. If it isn't too windy, I run outside down to about zero degrees.
2014-11-04 9:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I have never been to a class that I couldn't leave if I had to!
2014-11-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Thanks for the Wishes Guys

Recovery didnt do well for me for a common virus i had an adverse reaction with my decongestant Claritin D it kept me awake for "48 hrs." not a wink and my doctor wont prescribe me Ambien have to go to my hospital's ER to finally get insomia Medicine.

Anyways i am taking this week Off and starting to build for IMTX next year,

also Welcome Tom

Cheers!!

Edited by strykergt 2014-11-04 9:39 AM
2014-11-04 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by strykergt Thanks for the Wishes Guys Recovery didnt do well for me for a common virus i had an adverse reaction with my decongestant Claritin D it kept me awake for "48 hrs." not a wink and my doctor wont prescribe me Ambien have to go to my hospital's ER to finally get insomia Medicine. Anyways i am taking this week Off and starting to build for IMTX next year, also Welcome Tom Cheers!!
Bummer, Carlo, sorry to hear it.  I have a similar problem with Allegra-D.  It makes me feel like I've had 10 cups of coffee at night, almost impossible to sleep.  So I take the plain Allegra without the D.  Works fine, and doesn't wire me up.  

Hope you recover soon, bud.

2014-11-04 9:56 AM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by strykergt Thanks for the Wishes Guys Recovery didnt do well for me for a common virus i had an adverse reaction with my decongestant Claritin D it kept me awake for "48 hrs." not a wink and my doctor wont prescribe me Ambien have to go to my hospital's ER to finally get insomia Medicine. Anyways i am taking this week Off and starting to build for IMTX next year, also Welcome Tom Cheers!!
Bummer, Carlo, sorry to hear it.  I have a similar problem with Allegra-D.  It makes me feel like I've had 10 cups of coffee at night, almost impossible to sleep.  So I take the plain Allegra without the D.  Works fine, and doesn't wire me up.  

Hope you recover soon, bud.

Thanks Joe

have any plans for 70.3 next year!!! im sure your well settled now.

What are everyones plan in the winter not so bad in Texas
i can still train in layers outside.

cheers

2014-11-04 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by strykergtThanks Joe have any plans for 70.3 next year!!! im sure your well settled now. What are everyones plan in the winter not so bad in Texas i can still train in layers outside. cheers
Yeah, I'm settled in at the house, I was recovering from stepping on a nail for a couple weeks, but I'm back at it as of today actually.  So far I'm looking at a 70.3 up in Wisconsin next year, the Door County Triathlon (http://www.doorcountytriathlon.com/), Ransick recommended it and my wife wants me to do it because she loves Door County, so it'll be a good trip.  I'm also planning to do the Chicago Triathlon (olympic) on August 30, and I'd like to do a sprint for the fun of it at some point too.  Should be a good year!  Have to really buckle down and get back into a schedule for the offseason here.  Only a little over 8 months till race day!

2014-11-04 10:34 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by strykergtThanks Joe have any plans for 70.3 next year!!! im sure your well settled now. What are everyones plan in the winter not so bad in Texas i can still train in layers outside. cheers
Yeah, I'm settled in at the house, I was recovering from stepping on a nail for a couple weeks, but I'm back at it as of today actually.  So far I'm looking at a 70.3 up in Wisconsin next year, the Door County Triathlon (http://www.doorcountytriathlon.com/), Ransick recommended it and my wife wants me to do it because she loves Door County, so it'll be a good trip.  I'm also planning to do the Chicago Triathlon (olympic) on August 30, and I'd like to do a sprint for the fun of it at some point too.  Should be a good year!  Have to really buckle down and get back into a schedule for the offseason here.  Only a little over 8 months till race day!

Cool Bro looks like you're all set for next season... May want to try volunteering for IMWI just to get to see how is it for future reference, Was fun and learning experience for me at IMTX and Gary had fun too on his end too.
2014-11-04 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Anyone have any good trainer/spin workouts they like? 1-1.5 hours?  I'm looking to get some of the sufferfest videos but even when I do won't always have the option to use those so I'm looking to make a backlog of ideas.  It's going to be a while before it is feasible for me to bike outdoors much.

2014-11-04 8:02 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Anyone have any good trainer/spin workouts they like? 1-1.5 hours?  I'm looking to get some of the sufferfest videos but even when I do won't always have the option to use those so I'm looking to make a backlog of ideas.  It's going to be a while before it is feasible for me to bike outdoors much.

I did Jorge's winter cycling plan a couple years ago and was ready for spring. You can download it here http://coachjorgem.blogspot.com/p/cycling-plan.htmlor find it in the free BT plans.

2014-11-04 11:30 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Tonight was my 3rd spinning class for this season and traditionally is the class in which we do our 20minute TT.  I'm totally wiped and found myself sitting in my chair with my laptop on my lap and my fingers poised over the keyboard but I was asleep.  I pushed myself really hard in the TT and was fairly pleased, I even finished pretty strong.  Then I found out for some reason my bike computer had a problem with this workout so I can't say what my average pace was.  Our coach will likely repeat the TT on Saturday for anyone that missed theirs so maybe I'll do it again.

Joe - glad to hear your nail injury is healing nicely.

Carlo - I think the cure for insomnia is a 20 or 30 minute TT.  Hopefully you're well on your way to feeling better.  Too bad you missed out on your race but it is better to take care of yourself than to push too hard.

Tom - welcome to the group.  Ask lots of questions and next season try volunteering at a race or two.  I love volunteering almost as much as I do racing and training.

Swimming tomorrow.  I'm hoping to pass my last years swim total this week.  Then on the running side I need to get out and start going again.

2014-11-05 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by ransick

I did Jorge's winter cycling plan a couple years ago and was ready for spring. You can download it here http://coachjorgem.blogspot.com/p/cycling-plan.htmlor find it in the free BT plans.
Perfect, that's exactly the type of thing I was looking for.  Started today.  Thanks!

2014-11-05 12:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Tonight was my 3rd spinning class for this season and traditionally is the class in which we do our 20minute TT.  I'm totally wiped and found myself sitting in my chair with my laptop on my lap and my fingers poised over the keyboard but I was asleep.  I pushed myself really hard in the TT and was fairly pleased, I even finished pretty strong.  Then I found out for some reason my bike computer had a problem with this workout so I can't say what my average pace was.  Our coach will likely repeat the TT on Saturday for anyone that missed theirs so maybe I'll do it again.

Joe - glad to hear your nail injury is healing nicely.

Sorry to hear your computer didn't record correctly, but that's awesome you pushed yourself so hard. That's a great feeling.

Somewhat relevant but rambling anecdote/brag about my awesome kids:

My daughter is 4 and my son is 2.  My son doesn't speak well (as Ransick will attest to after meeting my family), but my daughter talks constantly (as Ransick will also attest to ).  They're both fish in the water, just absolute naturals.  They go to swim lessons once a week, and I love watching them.  They both love it too, just love being in the water.  Before her classes (swim, dance, normal preschool, etc.) I'll usually tell my daughter, Morgan, to do everything the teacher tells her to do and try her hardest. I don't care if she's the best swimmer or dancer or whatever in the world, I just want her to enjoy it and give it her best.  And boy does she on both counts.

Her swim teacher pushes her pretty hard, but not like in an aggressive way.  In an I-know-you-can-do-this-so-let's-do-it kind of way.  A few weeks ago her teacher had her swim all the way across the pool by herself.  Morgan picks her head up to take a quick breath about 2/3 across, and then gets herself the rest of the way.  It's probably 15-20 yards, it's crazy.  She does it the first time and she says "I don't think I want to do that again, I'm pretty tired".  So the teacher says "ok, well take a rest." So a minute later the teacher says "alright let's do it again" and Morgan does no problem.  Now it's a regular thing.  And if you look at her when she comes up for a breathe she's got a ridiculous smile on her face.

At the same lesson, they were introducing the back stroke for the first time (she's in a class on her own, not on purpose it just worked out that way).  And for a 4 year old the back stroke is ridiculously complicated.  It's not natural at all.  Moving both arms, but not the same direction at the same time, and constantly kicking, but not the big kicks she's used to but more of a flutter kick.  So her teacher is telling her all this and then says "Ok, you're going to do this across the pool now." And Morgan says apprehensively, "Well...ok, I'll try..." and her teacher says "Morgan, I'm going to help, I wasn't saying you had to do it on your own!" And Morgan replies "Oh, ok, good, because that sounded really hard."

Where I was really going with this though is that she's taken to very enthusiastically telling me when she comes out of the pool or home from dance class that she did everything the teacher told her to do and she tried her absolute hardest.  I'm a proud papa.

Edit: Ok, so it wasn't really related at all, I just felt like sharing.

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2014-11-05 12:44 PM
2014-11-05 6:50 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
That's awesome Joe!

Nice TT George! That kind of tired does feel good.
2014-11-05 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Joe - Loved your story of your kids.  It's an awesome gift to them to teach them to love water.  Are their grandparents close by?  If they were my grandkids I'd love to watch them in their swim classes.

In the matter of my bike computer.  I'm planning to take it back to the LBS tomorrow to see what's wrong with it.  I'm thinking it should be working properly and not causing me any grief.

Mike - I do like that good feeling I get after a hard workout.  I often get it after a good run or bike ride.  This morning at the pool I had a good swim and came out of the pool breathing hard but feeling really good (coincidentally, we had some speed sets which seem to increase my enjoyment - even though I'm not fast).

2014-11-07 10:40 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Joe -- looks like you have an endurance athlete in the making! Enjoy! In no time, she'll be accompanying you (and competing) at your races! My 11 YO is running the 5k Turkey Trot with my wife and I and is going out for middle school track next semester. It all goes so fast!

Yesterday was interesting. I had skipped my AM workout -- just too dang tired to get up! I wrote off the hour-long bike, but really wanted to get in the 35 min of running on my schedule. So, I ran the 4 miles to my kid's soccer practice (31 min) while he paced me on his bike! Felt really awesome to do that together -- it was so dark out, but he was lit up with all of my lights that I put on his bike. (I planned ahead and left my car and bike rack there so we could drive home)!. A real fun adventure together. That's the stuff to look forward to -- Joe and Carlo!

People around here are starting to plan for 2015 season already! I'm feeling a bit spent, having been in constant training since May. I had planned for 6 sprints this season but between missing one and changing my mind on two others, I will only end up with 3. I'd like more to show for it, and there are a couple races left in Dec and January. Not sure if I want to transition to my "off season" plan yet or keep racing through the colder months with my wet suit. Cogitating . . . .

2014-11-08 3:00 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Tried to swim today. You would have thought I was treading water if you were watching me. I definitely need some help in this area, on both fitness and technique. Any thoughts?
2014-11-09 11:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by PsyTri Joe -- People around here are starting to plan for 2015 season already! I'm feeling a bit spent, having been in constant training since May. I had planned for 6 sprints this season but between missing one and changing my mind on two others, I will only end up with 3. I'd like more to show for it, and there are a couple races left in Dec and January. Not sure if I want to transition to my "off season" plan yet or keep racing through the colder months with my wet suit. Cogitating . . . .

By ways beyond my control my 2015 schedule has pretty much been decided for me.  So far my 2015 looks like:

May 3rd - Cherry Blossom Sprint, Kelowna.  My oldest daughter wants to do this as her first triathlon.  So, apparently, I have to do it with her.

June 14th - a new Cultus Lake course.  Now it will be a 1K swim/ 60k bike/ 10k run.  I'm disappointed they're moving it from Sept because it was a popular race to finish the season.  Now it will start the season. 

July 12th - MedioFondo - 92km bike ride with 700m climbing in 4 hills.  Just a fun fast ride.  A lot easier than our GranFondo this year - and finished before the heat of the day (its the same race but a shorter distance).

July 18th - ChelanMan (HIM distance), Washington state. - I'm not too crazy for this one but my friend wants to do it.  He hates racing in hot weather and I'm sure this one is hot!

August 8th - Rattlesnake Island Swim 3.1km - Being lazy I'm not too crazy about this swim but it could be fun and my wife would volunteer in a kayak as well.

August 23rd - Challenge Penticton (HIM distance) - Gotta race Sister Madonna again.

September 7th - Kootenay Rockies GranFondo (152km) or MedioFondo (102km).  Haven't decided on which but either one should be a lot of fun riding through some spectacular scenery.

I might also add a 10K run in April and a 20K run in November (I missed them both this year).  I find I like the Olympic distance races best but I do like the HIM as well.  I don't like that I've got this list already and we aren't even finished 2014 but it pretty much just unfolded this way.

www.rattlesnakeislandswim.com is worth a quick look just to see the photo of a swimmer coming around the island and heading out across the lake towards Peachland, BC.  Just another visual of where we train and swim.

What does everyone else have planned (or are considering) so far?

2014-11-10 12:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by RockHead Tried to swim today. You would have thought I was treading water if you were watching me. I definitely need some help in this area, on both fitness and technique. Any thoughts?

Tom - How comfortable in the water are you?  It is important that you be reasonably comfortable so it is good you're starting to swim now.  Don't worry about how bad your swim was it will come with persistence.  If you are not too experienced a swimmer it would be a good idea to get some private lessons or find a group to swim with.  You really need some guidance for your swimming to avoid developing many bad habits.  Ask at your local pool and see who is available to teach you or what swim groups might there be to swim with.

I would also recommend that if your swim will be in open water you need to get into a lake to swim as early as you comfortably can.  In my location that is mid May and you're about as far north as I am so it should be close to that.

I started swimming just shy of 3 yrs ago and I've logged 100hours of swimming this year as of this week and I still have a ton of things wrong with my swimming.  You'll find you'll have good swim days and bad swim days but keep going.

Let us know how you make out.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37420 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72765 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.