BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-11-10 6:47 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Originally posted by RockHead Tried to swim today. You would have thought I was treading water if you were watching me. I definitely need some help in this area, on both fitness and technique. Any thoughts?

Tom - How comfortable in the water are you?  It is important that you be reasonably comfortable so it is good you're starting to swim now.  Don't worry about how bad your swim was it will come with persistence.  If you are not too experienced a swimmer it would be a good idea to get some private lessons or find a group to swim with.  You really need some guidance for your swimming to avoid developing many bad habits.  Ask at your local pool and see who is available to teach you or what swim groups might there be to swim with.

I would also recommend that if your swim will be in open water you need to get into a lake to swim as early as you comfortably can.  In my location that is mid May and you're about as far north as I am so it should be close to that.

I started swimming just shy of 3 yrs ago and I've logged 100hours of swimming this year as of this week and I still have a ton of things wrong with my swimming.  You'll find you'll have good swim days and bad swim days but keep going.

Let us know how you make out.

X2. Get a coach, find a masters group or join a tri club that has someone to mentor you.

2014-11-12 10:14 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Technique work will probably yield the quickest results. If you are just "dragging" your body through the water (not saying you are, but IF), then you are probably wearing yourself out unnecessarily. Once you are stroking more efficiently, you can get a better idea of your fitness level. I'm a fan of Total Immersion, and you can find some of their stuff online. They have a book and DVD's as well. Good luck, and welcome to the group.
2014-11-12 3:18 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Thanks for the input everyone. I will look into a class or coaching, but here in the oil fields I think I am pretty lucky to have just found a pool to swim in. I am probably on my own, at least for the near future.

I have always been comfortable in the water. It has just been a really long time since I have done any serious swimming. I bought a swimming snorkel and used it last weekend. I liked it. It allows me to focus on my technique without having to worry about breathing. My plan is to get my endurance up enough to swim my desired distance (500 yds as of now) in a respectable time, with no breaks and then stop using the snorkel and add breathing into my stroke.

Swimming will definitely be my biggest challenge.
2014-11-14 7:53 PM
in reply to: RockHead

User image

Kalispell, Montana
So I was thinking that if I want to start with Sprints that following an Olympic distance training plan would be good. The extra time and distance trained will make the Sprint that much easier on race day. I plan to continue with my Sprint training till the end of the year and then start my Olympic distance training around the first of the year, hoping to be peaking for the spring events.

The extra time in the pool with an Olympic plan should really help as well. Second round in the pool tomorrow (If my car starts).

Shopping for some running shoes. I have a pair of Saucony Xodus trail runners right now and love them. A bit of overkill for road and treadmill though. Thinking about getting a pair Saucony Guide 7's. Spec's say good cushion for heal strikers.

Have a good weekend.
2014-11-15 8:20 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by RockHead

So I was thinking that if I want to start with Sprints that following an Olympic distance training plan would be good. The extra time and distance trained will make the Sprint that much easier on race day. I plan to continue with my Sprint training till the end of the year and then start my Olympic distance training around the first of the year, hoping to be peaking for the spring events.

The extra time in the pool with an Olympic plan should really help as well. Second round in the pool tomorrow (If my car starts).

Shopping for some running shoes. I have a pair of Saucony Xodus trail runners right now and love them. A bit of overkill for road and treadmill though. Thinking about getting a pair Saucony Guide 7's. Spec's say good cushion for heal strikers.

Have a good weekend.

I like doing more volume than a sprint plan when training for sprints too.
2014-11-15 9:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Just signed up for the Challenge Penticton half distance race next August 30th. 

So now I have to start running again.  I want to train as I usually do but I also want to focus more on getting stronger for my run.  I was thinking of modifying Gail Bernhardt's training plan to add more running.  Mike - any thoughts or recommendations?

2014-11-16 6:43 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Just signed up for the Challenge Penticton half distance race next August 30th. 

So now I have to start running again.  I want to train as I usually do but I also want to focus more on getting stronger for my run.  I was thinking of modifying Gail Bernhardt's training plan to add more running.  Mike - any thoughts or recommendations?

If you want to add running to the GB plan, I'd start by adding some short runs like a couple of 5k's. Then some core strength training like plank's, squats and something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0. If you can do it without injury, add 400's to the 5 k's so warm up for a mile, do 4-10 400's (start with just two then build), then a cool down,

I usually skip the core stuff and I think I pay for it on the run.
2014-11-16 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Thanks Mike,  I had planned to do some 400s but not until I've gotten back into running for a while.  The video was really good.  I'm a bit unsure of a few of the moves but I think I will incorporate them into my routine especially through the winter.  Possibly the core work won't hurt my cycling either.

2014-11-17 9:29 AM

User image

My race is in the books: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Great Swim, T1, T2, and run. Bike needs some work. PR'd the run!

Enjoy
2014-11-17 2:45 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Awesome! I love the detail you give in your report. I learned a lot. Being in the same AG as you, I was also impressed with your splits for the swim and run. I have some work to do.
2014-11-17 3:44 PM

User image

Thanks! Wetsuit is the way to go for a fast swim!!!!

I like reading race reports for the same reason, and when it's someone from the group, I really enjoy hearing about their experiences.

I'm curious what you learned from reading it. Maybe there's a discussion point in there for the forum.

2014-11-17 4:00 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
I was surprised to learn about fuel intake during the race. I was under the assumption that for a sprint fuel would not be needed because of the short duration. I need to look into this further. Do the calories even "hit" you before the race is over? Is it more of a caffeine thing? I would be interested what other peoples experiences and recommendations are for fueling during the shorter races. I would like to start training with fueling if it is important.

The transitions seemed really important in your overall time. Again, another thing that I have not really put any thought into, though I can see how they would make a big impact on a shorter race.
2014-11-17 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4999046

User image

I watched a video on chi running a while back. Founder talked about how to improve run off the bike. He said fuel about 10 to 15 min before run while on bike. Leg muscles benefit. The one right off the swim is something i tried depending in ho recently i had breakfast. Body can absorb 250 calories per hour.
2014-11-17 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Well the bad news is that my triathlon plans are going to take a big hit next year.  I think the Door County 70.3 is out of the question at this point.

The good news is my wife is pregnant, and the baby is due early to mid summer.

Maybe I can find one closer to home earlier in the season.

2014-11-17 6:54 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

My race is in the books: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Great Swim, T1, T2, and run. Bike needs some work. PR'd the run!

Enjoy

Awesome race report! Super fast swim, run and transitions! The bike was pretty fast too.
2014-11-17 7:02 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Well the bad news is that my triathlon plans are going to take a big hit next year.  I think the Door County 70.3 is out of the question at this point.

Congrats on the baby! Triathlons will always be there.

2014-11-17 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by PsyTri My race is in the books: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Great Swim, T1, T2, and run. Bike needs some work. PR'd the run! Enjoy

Your whole race looked really good to me.  Over 19mph on the bike - that's impressive to me.

2014-11-17 10:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by PsyTri I watched a video on chi running a while back. Founder talked about how to improve run off the bike. He said fuel about 10 to 15 min before run while on bike. Leg muscles benefit. The one right off the swim is something i tried depending in ho recently i had breakfast. Body can absorb 250 calories per hour.

That's interesting info.  I'll have to make note of it for next season (fuelling on the bike for the run).  At Challenge last year one of the lady Pros (from Texas) said that we should consume 60g of carbs per hour on the bike.  That jibes precisely with the 250 calories per hour absorption rate.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-11-17 10:41 PM
2014-11-17 10:47 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Congratulations Joe.  Another triathlete in the making - very good news.  Just thinking out loud but there is a HIM distance on June 14, 2015 - ChelanMan at Lake Chelan, Washington (just a bit southwest of Omak, Washington).  Actually might be doing this one myself.

2014-11-18 8:34 AM

User image

With such a short race, I still struggle in trying to figure out what's optimal. I usually have about 250-300 calories for breakfast in the 1-2 hours leading up to the race, so I'm probably sufficiently fueled for a Sprint. I still like the gel on the bike. The gel after the swim is probably not even necessary, so I may just drop it.
2014-11-18 11:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Has anyone tried any energy drinks during a race or training that they like? I have two water bottles on my bike and was thinking one could be water and the other an energy drink. This could left on the bike leaving one less thing to remember during transition. May be easier to consume than a solid or gel?

Since electrolytes wouldn't be a huge concern at shorter distances I wonder if a person couldn't just combine a small red bull with some propel water, let it go flat and add to a water bottle.

Edited by RockHead 2014-11-18 2:47 PM

2014-11-18 2:54 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Congrats, Joe!!!! That is very exciting news
2014-11-18 6:42 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by RockHead

Has anyone tried any energy drinks during a race or training that they like? I have two water bottles on my bike and was thinking one could be water and the other an energy drink. This could left on the bike leaving one less thing to remember during transition. May be easier to consume than a solid or gel?

Since electrolytes wouldn't be a huge concern at shorter distances I wonder if a person couldn't just combine a small red bull with some propel water, let it go flat and add to a water bottle.

I've had good luck with Gatorade. I tried Infinite and got bloated after several hours of cycling. I've experimented with making my own. You can buy maltodextrin at home brewing supply stores then add whatever flavor you like and how ever much electrolytes you like. I used crystal lite for my flavoring. It worked too but after 3 hours of riding, my stomach was tired of it too.

It takes lots of experimentation. The problem I have is that any workout under 2 hours, I really don't need anything and there aren't that many workouts over two hours.
2014-11-18 7:14 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Some thoughts on fueling.

Your body can store about 2 hours worth of glycogen before it starts using muscle for fuel so if you eat properly on the days leading up to a race and eat a good breakfast, no fuel is necessary for a sprint or half marathon. Just because it's not necessary doesn't mean it isn't helpful either physically or mentally so do what makes you feel good. I've done half marathons taking a GU at mile 4 and mile 10 to give me something to look forward to. I've also done them on nothing but water (my current PR). I've taken a GU during the bike of a sprint and done GU and Gatorade during Oly's. I've also done sprints and Oly's with nothing but water. The only time I felt undernourished racing is the Oly with no fuel. Again, your mileage may vary so experiment.

Nutrition companies like Hammer have nutrition guides. They are worth the read. Let me know if you can't find them.
2014-11-18 9:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Nicole - Glad to see you're still here.

Rockwood - For my long training runs I prefer Gatorade and on my bike rides over an hour I carry Perpetuem by Hammer.  It tastes like dirt but I don't mind it.  I also sometimes add a Nuun tablet for electrolytes in my water bottles.  I really like Mike's idea of making my energy drink.  It would be a lot less expensive to make it for yourself.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the "energy" drinks like Red Bull.  I would wonder if they might be hard on your G.I. Tract if you try to drink too much of it.  Having said that, everyone is different and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for you.  I find it very hard to eat solid food on my bike or run (except for some "energy balls" my wife makes).  I also have a major problem with Gu's.  I just can't bring myself to try them.

I may have to face that issue very soon if I'm going to run more long distances.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37336 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72738 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.