REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

The day before, we were allowed a practice swim in the river. It was wonderful to be in the water and just pause and take in the sights of the area. Confidence builder being allowed in the water that you will race in. Day of the event warmup was the 650 yard walk from T1 to the swim start along the river.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Some initial contact but minimum during the event. Waves had sufficient time intervals to minimize bunching of swimmers around the buoys. Swam at least 35 yards off course 2x that may have cost me 50-60 seconds but otherwise fairly straight. Maybe 600 yards from the finish, I developed a left hamstring cramp that last no more than 10 seconds and did not afterwards hinder my swimming.
What would you do differently?:

Stay with a couple of swimmers that I somehow lost turning around the buoys. Hamstring cramp could be directly related to my extremely limited and poor kick skills which cause me to just drag my legs along during wetsuit swimming.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

As I was pulling myself up onto the pier at the swim finish, a sudden left hamstring cramp came on and I let someone know about it. I then added, "it is fun to get old" I decided to walk into the transition area.

Not get a hamstring cramp!
Bike
  • 3h 08m
  • 56 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

REV3 needs to mention and highlight the railroad track crossings on the other side of the ride. Course is difficult for Jane and Joe Sixpack who will not be setting any PR with this amount of climbing. This was the first HIM event that I did not break 3 hours on the bike. You need precise shifting as multiple shifts are needed on this course.

I came in without any outdoor riding (multiple miles done on my comptrainer) and looking for a nice training day.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No major issue other than I need to use the port-a-potty and there were none in the transitional area!
Run
  • 2h 04m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Faded in the last 3 miles due to heavy legs-muscular endurance issue. Time was good 10 minutes slower than I had thought I would hit but I was unexpected for the hilly run conditions. Run was done in sunny conditions but only mid to upper 60F temperatures. Never had breathing issues or bonking.

Need more run endurance training.
Post race
Warm down:

walk, sip juice and then get in the food line. Very good warm pulled pork sandwiches.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age, not enough training.

Event comments:

This is not a course where most of us are going to set a PR. Challenging bike ride. Don't underestimate the run course which can break your spirit. Good experience and will come back in the future but unsure if this will be a yearly event as it is a 11 hour drive one way from my location.

Last updated: 2014-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto two piece
Course: Parallel to the shoreline with the first 500 yards against the current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:08:00 | 56 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: 4000 feet of climbing in 56 miles. On and off the aero bars on a regular basis. Some rough road surfaces better navigated off the aero bars. Two sets of railroad tracks on the other side of the river caused numerous bottle launches and these were not mentioned in the pre-race talks.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:04:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Course: Long straight 1.3 miles on the roadway that leads to a nice run on the river pathway. Shaded areas on the pathway until the end where a steep climb to an aid station exist. Then one will cross the road and run in a fancy residential area that features shaded areas and rolling hills. Aid stations like every 1.2 miles.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-21 8:43 PM

Subject: Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Knoxville - Half Rev

Started by ramiedd
Views: 1287 Posts: 3

2012-05-09 9:26 PM wiky

Started by dbrawders
Views: 1436 Posts: 4

2012-05-09 9:59 PM dbrawders

Started by wbattaile
Views: 1553 Posts: 4

2012-05-09 7:57 AM brigby1

Started by wiky
Views: 3159 Posts: 24

2012-05-12 5:59 AM Fred D

Started by alex jb
Views: 1624 Posts: 1

2011-08-02 12:57 PM alex jb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.