General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you (or don't you) do flip turns? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-05-23 2:50 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Subject: RE: Why do you (or don't you) do flip turns?
Originally posted by dmiller5

why are you swimming in the pool with your wetsuit?

Why wouldn't I? I'm way faster with it.

(you know I'm joking, right)

2014-05-23 2:55 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by msteiner

Whoosh!

bwaaahahahahaa!! 

2014-05-23 3:01 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Danno77

Why wouldn't I? I'm way faster with it. (you know I'm joking, right)

LOL!  Well played, sir!

2014-05-23 5:36 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

wouldn't have put it past you.............

2014-05-23 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4999873

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Ohhhhh. Snap! LoL
2014-05-23 7:51 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Champion
New York, NY
only read the first page

but I do them because it more mimics open water swimming - it is continuous - not extra breath or grab/rest at the wall
and the breathlessness mimics the stuff that happens in races.

I still suck at them - I think I am probably faster with open turns - but I do them to make me a better swimmer/triathlete

2014-05-24 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Wow, I missed all the fun of this thread!

OK, so I'm not that guy doing open turns... I do flip turns in the pool, I do them at the wall because it's fast and the best way to avoid accidents with swimmers - ok, except for those standing at the wall at the centre of the lane. And I do them before the wall to get past slower swimmers, and that's darn hard to get back up to speed. I really can't imagine doing anything else but flip turns, open turns are just slow and awkward.

Anyway, so here's a new one: I do flip turns in OWS too! That's right! Doing flip turns in OWS I can practice my explosive start for the race.

ETA: The only reason not to do flip turns is when I sometimes turn late and bang my heels in the wall - ouch, damn you flip turns!

Edited by erik.norgaard 2014-05-24 1:39 PM
2014-05-25 8:02 PM
in reply to: Danno77

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by TriMyBest

The anti-flip turn posts in these threads make me laugh at how ridiculous and adamant the arguments are.  

We never see anyone arguing that better bike handling skills won't make someone a better triathlete even though most of the skills are rarely needed in non-drafting races, yet, there are all sorts of rationalizations why flip turns won't make you a better triathlete.

IMO, it's as simple as saying that any skills that make you a better swimmer, cyclist, or runner will contribute to being a better triathlete.

To specifically answer the OP, I do flip turns because...

1. I can.
  2. It makes me a better swimmer, which makes me a better triathlete.

In short, are they necessary?...Absolutely not.  Will they make you a better triathlete?...Absolutely yes.

The thing that usually gets me about these posts is the assumptions that everybody swims in a pool. I feel sorry for that sucker who is swimming laps around an island all year long without the opportunity to become a better swimmer.

Ok, I'll bite    ...

As LB was kind enough to point out, this thread is about why or why not to do flip turns, so it's pretty much a given that there's a pool involved.

Also, you seem to have either missed or misunderstood the last sentence of my post where I said flip turns aren't necessary, but they will make you a better triathlete.  Again, they are not necessary.  No where did I say they were, or that they were in any way essential to becoming a good swimmer.  They just fall onto the lists of skills that will contribute to being a better triathlete.

BUT, I will say that take the person who is only swimming open water and compare it to what they could achieve in a pool and they are almost certainly performing well beneath their potential. (This assumes coaching / instruction from a source that is even marginally competent.)  

So, even though your post appeared to be sarcastic, you are right.  The person who is only swimming laps around an island all year long doesn't have the same opportunities for improvement as they would if they spent some portion of their training cycle in the controlled environment of a pool where it's easier to measure everything that happens.

I do think that you might be missing the added benefits of hundreds of thousands of OWS workouts that could probably counteract the ability to do flip turns. How many athletes get the opportunity to swim in such a wide range of conditions as one who solely trains outdoors? I'm not discounting what you are saying, just saying that there's another angle to consider. .

There is no other added benefit to consider, and there is no added benefit from swimming hundreds of thousands of OWS yards over the person doing very structured and planned interval workouts.  If you think there is then you don't understand how to get fast at swimming.  Yes, you have to do some open water swimming to practice sighting, get used to the sun and waves, etc.  But nobody gets the true benefit of swim workouts by continuously swimming the same yards over and over. I don't care if it's in the pool or in the ocean. 

Like you say....if you don't care then you don't care.....but we're talking about trying to swim better/faster and the benefits of flip turns in the program. You go swim hundreds of thousands of yards around an island....I'll take a person of exact ability and put them in a structured interval program.  At the end of a set period you can race.  Prepare to have your arse handed to you.

Why the heck are so many of these IM people on this forum posting 10k+ a week, then? This is a serious question, not my usually sarcastic one.

You can swim 20k a week thats not necessarily going to make you fast. 50s, 100s, 200s etc you need to smash those, they will make you fast. If you jump in a pool and swim 2, 3km straight 4 times a week, you will not get much quicker.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do you (or don't you) do flip turns? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Water in ears from doing flip turns Pages: 1 2

Started by Caroleena
Views: 5897 Posts: 33

2015-10-24 8:31 PM brigby1

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2095 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Who does flip turns and why? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by powerman
Views: 7354 Posts: 105

2014-05-24 5:03 AM axteraa

For those who don't do flip turns Pages: 1 2 3

Started by kwynnc
Views: 5390 Posts: 54

2011-04-10 9:52 PM tjfry

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : January 14, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 12
This is a 3 step program on learning how to do flip turns. Also discussed is the importance of using flip turns during lap swimming.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : December 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
At some point in your triathlon career you will need to master the art of the flip turn to continue your swimming progress.
date : January 29, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on bricks, bike steering when reaching for hydration, and flip-turns.