BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-08-20 4:44 PM
in reply to: #5000616

Subject: RE: Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open)
I swam 1500 this morning, my time was 1:53/100. Still slow but it's 20sec/100 faster than I swam last month in Racine!! I would be happy with 28min swim this weekend!!

2014-08-23 9:49 PM
in reply to: #5041765

I did my Olympic tri today. I won it, not my AG, I won overall! Couldn't believe it! I don't have all the stats handy but my times were slower than I would have liked due to a very hilly course, but I'm really happy with how it turned out! I'll post details tomorrow.
2014-08-24 10:37 AM
in reply to: #5042878

User image

Congrats on winning your triathlon!! That is great!

I have had a long training week and hit over 16 hours! Doing an Olympic one week from today and then I start my peak IM weeks. Getting real!!
2014-08-24 4:42 PM
in reply to: ARtridad74

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by ARtridad74

I did my Olympic tri today. I won it, not my AG, I won overall! Couldn't believe it! I don't have all the stats handy but my times were slower than I would have liked due to a very hilly course, but I'm really happy with how it turned out! I'll post details tomorrow.

Congratulations! That is a very impressive accomplishment.
2014-08-27 2:20 PM
in reply to: #5042995

Sorry for taking so long to get my race report in.

My day started off on the wrong foot, I got about 15mim down the road and had to go back home to get my phone. I had to have it because I needed to be able to reach my wife after the race. Also I left my aero bottle at home.

I got to the race site with no more than 10 min to spare. Transition areas were first come first serve. Not sure why but there was an empty spot by the bike out/bike in area so I was blessed and got my stuff arranged.

I had a decent swim, came out of the water 7th. The bike course was very hilly, I had a fair ride for me, wish I had been in the same bike fitness that I was in when I went to do my 70.3, I ranked 1st on the bike. The run course was equally hilly, I ranked 3rd on the run and finished 1st overall for the Olympic.

My times were:
Swim 33:41
T1 1:28
Bike 1:22:24
T2 50.2
Run 58:42
Total 2:57:06
2014-08-28 8:07 AM
in reply to: ARtridad74

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Very nice. I need to come up and do that race next year.

2014-08-28 2:37 PM
in reply to: #5044212

User image

I am doing a semi-recovery week but still managed some long workouts already. Doing the Hy-Vee 5150 age group race in Des Moines this weekend. Scored a free registration so why not? Next week I am planning to do my longest bike ride thus far (5 hours). Shooting for over 80 miles.
2014-08-28 4:54 PM
in reply to: #5044609

Good luck this weekend.
2014-08-28 4:56 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

I am doing a semi-recovery week but still managed some long workouts already. Doing the Hy-Vee 5150 age group race in Des Moines this weekend. Scored a free registration so why not? Next week I am planning to do my longest bike ride thus far (5 hours). Shooting for over 80 miles.

Good luck this weekend. Let us know how it goes.
2014-08-30 9:53 AM
in reply to: parrj

User image

Originally posted by parrj

Due to flooding and road conditions the race has been changed to a sprint! UGH! I had planned for today off just because last week was such a long training week. Now I am wondering if I shouldn't hit the pool and swim a 2000 or so and maybe run 4 miles. Always tough to know what to do. Honestly, I would have placed better with an Olympic distance race as I haven't gutted anything out in so long. Oh well, it's the experience, right? Next week I'll do my first 5-hour bike ride. Excited to get that under my belt. Also have my first 2.5 hour run (this training season). Hoping for 18 miles minimum but we will see! Thanks!
2014-08-30 12:32 PM

User image

Due to flooding and road conditions the race has been changed to a sprint! UGH! I had planned for today off just because last week was such a long training week. Now I am wondering if I shouldn't hit the pool and swim a 2000 or so and maybe run 4 miles. Always tough to know what to do. Honestly, I would have placed better with an Olympic distance race as I haven't gutted anything out in so long. Oh well, it's the experience, right? Next week I'll do my first 5-hour bike ride. Excited to get that under my belt. Also have my first 2.5 hour run (this training season). Hoping for 18 miles minimum but we will see! Thanks!

Can anyone offer any advice here? Just found out that I won't even start my swim until after 9:00 AM. I am pretty bummed as I have planned an entire day around a now sprint distance race! This race is in my own backyard, so another option is to skip it all together (since it was free and I already collected swag) and just do my 5 hour bike tomorrow AM. Thoughts on this???? Help please. No idea what I should do since I am only 8 weeks out from IMFL. I have time to do my long ride later this week but just not sure I should waste 4-5hours tomorrow on a sprint.

2014-08-30 12:40 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Can anyone offer any advice here? Just found out that I won't even start my swim until after 9:00 AM. I am pretty bummed as I have planned an entire day around a now sprint distance race! This race is in my own backyard, so another option is to skip it all together (since it was free and I already collected swag) and just do my 5 hour bike tomorrow AM. Thoughts on this???? Help please. No idea what I should do since I am only 8 weeks out from IMFL. I have time to do my long ride later this week but just not sure I should waste 4-5hours tomorrow on a sprint.

This is a decision only you can make. You are coming off a recovery week, so no need to go out and push your 5hr ride. You still have 8 weeks until your IM. Kicking up the distance too soon can also cause you to burn out. I would enjoy the atmosphere of the race and just go out and see what you can do in a sprint.
2014-08-30 1:05 PM

User image

This is a decision only you can make. You are coming off a recovery week, so no need to go out and push your 5hr ride. You still have 8 weeks until your IM. Kicking up the distance too soon can also cause you to burn out. I would enjoy the atmosphere of the race and just go out and see what you can do in a sprint.

I think I am most nervous about the fast and furious nature of a sprint on this course. They have changed the bike to a 2-loop course which means a bunch of crazies in one small area. I know it's unlikely but when you have put in so much training it's tough to think that one wreck or incident may cause injury! I don't know why that bothers me more than anything else. The only other issue is that I have to be down to the start by 5:30 and my wave is now pushed back to 9:00 or after. Lots of waiting. Transition closes at 6:45 but thought about bringing old shoes and running 3-4 miles before the start.
2014-08-31 8:36 PM
in reply to: #5044667

How'd it go?
2014-09-01 8:05 AM
in reply to: #5045548

User image

I got first in my division! Keep in mind that the most competitive women from last year's event were doing the 5150 National Championship race (started 30 min earlier and same venue). If I would have used my qualifying slot to race in that division I would have been 10th/11th place. My run was pretty slow for a sprint, but I fully expected it. Happy with swim and bike. Bike was over 21 mph, which is fast for me! Will do a race report soon! Running and swmming today and 5 hour bike tomorrow!!
2014-09-01 1:06 PM
in reply to: #5045613

Congrats!

2014-09-03 6:59 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

I got first in my division! Keep in mind that the most competitive women from last year's event were doing the 5150 National Championship race (started 30 min earlier and same venue). If I would have used my qualifying slot to race in that division I would have been 10th/11th place. My run was pretty slow for a sprint, but I fully expected it. Happy with swim and bike. Bike was over 21 mph, which is fast for me! Will do a race report soon! Running and swmming today and 5 hour bike tomorrow!!

Sounds like a great race. Congrats. And yes, with IM training, your running is going to be a bit slower.
2014-09-03 7:39 PM

User image

I do have a question for those veterans in this group and for you, Jeff.
I am basically following a modified version of the Be Iron Fit Intermediate plan but am adding in lots of workouts
from Fitzgerald's book as well (more speed driven workouts on the bike and tempo on the run). There aren't a lot
of longer bricks in the Be Iron Fit plan. Yesterday I did my 5 hour bike/3.4 mile run (was 30 min and that's just what
I got in). I am curious as to how many of these bricks I should potentially be doing?? I was honestly thinking of coming
up with a mix of the two plans and going every other week on the long bike (5 hour, long brick, 5.5 hour, long brick, 6 hour,
long brick). You get the idea. Would this be beneficial. I sort of feel like I may be a bit ahead on my training. My swims
are getting long (2300-4000 3 times per week depending on time), too.

Just looking for a bit of guidance because I chose not to hire a coach. I am one of those people that needs the cushion
and confidence that I am READY and not just sort of ready, but really READY. I know it's 90% mental (or so many say),
but I feel like I will be mentally tough if I know I can physically withstand the day!

Thanks!
2014-09-04 11:34 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Jen,

I'm going to put on my coaching hat and give you my best coaching advice without really knowing much about you, your tri background, or your training schedule.

It does seem like you are increasing the distance a little quickly. Typically, what I've done and how I coach is I increase the distance in the off-season, 6+ months out and build them up to maybe doing a century. Then during the build of the training program, you will look at your longest distance rides occurring between 3-6 weeks out. I'm afraid you may be putting in to much distance and are likely for burn-out in your training. That same hold true for running.

I define the bike-to-run in 2 separate ways: 1. Brick (consist of a bike ride plus a run of 2+ miles), or 2. A transition run (consist of a bike ride plus a 1-2 mile run). The transition run is designed to increase leg turnover out of transition and just get use to that jelly feeling in your legs. The Brick is more for endurance. Do understand from a physiological standpoint, that a Brick/Transition workout is very taxing on the body. I never recommend doing them on a weekly basis, especially during high volume times. In the off season, they can be done more often when the volume is low.

So my question would be what is your definition of a long brick? So are you going to do a 5hr ride (80 miles) and then a 5 mile run? I think that would be the longest brick I would do. Think, is there really an benefit from a 100 mile ride and 5 mile run? or an 80 mile bike and 10 mile run. If your run training is going well, then not much need to run more than 3-5 miles off the bike.
2014-09-04 1:53 PM
in reply to: #5045693

User image

This makes sense. I did get in 91 miles in 5 hours on the bike and then ran the 3.45 miles at about 8:45 pace. I was tired but certainly not exhausted. I run hard on almost every run but I do train year round so my body has done well with that. So, at least it doesn't sound like I am over-training. ) I may just do a long bike ride with a mile run after next week. All of my training is public as well. Thanks!
2014-09-04 4:06 PM

User image

This makes sense. I did get in 91 miles in 5 hours on the bike and then ran the 3.45 miles at about 8:45 pace. I was tired but certainly not exhausted. I run hard on almost every run but I do train year round so my body has done well with that. So, at least it doesn't sound like I am over-training. ) I may just do a long bike ride with a mile run after next week. All of my training is public as well. Thanks!

I meant under-training.

2014-09-07 8:59 AM

Hello Everyone-

My name is Anastasia, and I'd like to join the group. I am 35 y/o, married, and have no kids - but I still have constraints on time (I'm active duty Army working in health care, currently with a 1 hr commute each way from work). I also have sporadic travel, not always anticipated, that can foil plans.

I have no experience with triathlons, but I signed up to complete the Raleigh 1/2 ironman on May 31st, 2015. I have good friends in Chattanooga that compete in triathlons, and I incidentally came across this race when trying to live-track a friend competing in Racine (Darn google auto-fill). My friend competing in this race loathes running - and with watching her smile throughout the race and transitions and look so fabulous crossing the finish. Since I live near Raleigh, there was a discount for signing up the first week, and my friend looked awesome - I decided to go for it and sign up. Since I loathe the water and have a fear of biking, if I didn't go big, I wouldn't go at all... that, and I figured a distant goal would help me focus and remain dedicated to train (which is what I like more than the event at the end).

I have a running background. I did my first Marathon in 2007 (Maui). I was dedicated to train for it, and it was the training program with a distant goal that kept me focussed, and I felt great. I also did the Disney Marathon in January 2010. My training here was not as good as it was for Maui, but it did keep me focussed on something other than being deployed (I was in Afghanistan!). I've done several half marathons (between 2009-2013), and I prefer that distance over the full marathon -- 2 hours of one activity is about right before I get bored and want to move on. I developed exercise induced asthma (new after deployment) noticed by slowing of 1/2 marathon times and coughing and wheezing after short 2-3 mile slow paced (10-11min mile runs). Nonetheless, last year I did a series of half marathons all under 2 hours with a PR of 1:48:52! My current running is between 3-5 miles about 2-4 times a week at a 9:30-11:00 min mile pace.

I bought a bike in the beginning of August. I started riding some loops near my house (10-15 miles), 2-3 times a week, but now I am extending my weekend ride. I live in the country and have some very nice, smooth roads nearby with very little traffic. Any fear I had about riding on the road disappeared after I got out there and now I love it. I've transitioned to clipless shoes. I am still getting more comfortable shifting gears and maneuvering water bottles. According to my Garmin watch, I average between 17.8-18.2 mph. Yesterday I had my longest solo - 35 miles. Something tells me I may want to go ride just to ride (not really to train).

As for swimming - I hate it. I am very bothered by chlorine, but not really a fan of open water or splashing either. I know how to swim, but I am not a strong swimmer. I am used to Army training that involves swimming with boots and uniforms - which is probably at the root of my anxiety. Nonetheless, for the last month I've been going to the pool 2-3 times a week at lunch and swimming for 30-40 minutes. I can do side stroke forever - but its very slow. I've been working at alternating lengths of side stroke and crawl - and I've already seen significant improvement in my crawl endurance. I'm not so good at counting laps and haven't bothered to time anything - I know I am slow. I plan on taking some Master's swim lessons to improve efficiency, but I have been trying to improve my endurance first... I am finally to the point where I spend more time "crawling" than doing the side stroke or resting at the side of the pool.

I honestly haven't looked too much at training plans yet. My plan had been to just build a base and put on miles between now and Christmas. My goal is for each event to be enjoyable - I thought I'd start more of a "formal" training plan with the new year. Nonetheless, I was on the beginner triathlete site, found the forums and thought it would be better to try to join a group now than next summer.

2014-09-07 6:07 PM
in reply to: S5apiotrowski

User image

Originally posted by S5apiotrowski

Hello Everyone-

My name is Anastasia, and I'd like to join the group. I am 35 y/o, married, and have no kids - but I still have constraints on time (I'm active duty Army working in health care, currently with a 1 hr commute each way from work). I also have sporadic travel, not always anticipated, that can foil plans.

I have no experience with triathlons, but I signed up to complete the Raleigh 1/2 ironman on May 31st, 2015. I have good friends in Chattanooga that compete in triathlons, and I incidentally came across this race when trying to live-track a friend competing in Racine (Darn google auto-fill). My friend competing in this race loathes running - and with watching her smile throughout the race and transitions and look so fabulous crossing the finish. Since I live near Raleigh, there was a discount for signing up the first week, and my friend looked awesome - I decided to go for it and sign up. Since I loathe the water and have a fear of biking, if I didn't go big, I wouldn't go at all... that, and I figured a distant goal would help me focus and remain dedicated to train (which is what I like more than the event at the end).

I have a running background. I did my first Marathon in 2007 (Maui). I was dedicated to train for it, and it was the training program with a distant goal that kept me focussed, and I felt great. I also did the Disney Marathon in January 2010. My training here was not as good as it was for Maui, but it did keep me focussed on something other than being deployed (I was in Afghanistan!). I've done several half marathons (between 2009-2013), and I prefer that distance over the full marathon -- 2 hours of one activity is about right before I get bored and want to move on. I developed exercise induced asthma (new after deployment) noticed by slowing of 1/2 marathon times and coughing and wheezing after short 2-3 mile slow paced (10-11min mile runs). Nonetheless, last year I did a series of half marathons all under 2 hours with a PR of 1:48:52! My current running is between 3-5 miles about 2-4 times a week at a 9:30-11:00 min mile pace.

I bought a bike in the beginning of August. I started riding some loops near my house (10-15 miles), 2-3 times a week, but now I am extending my weekend ride. I live in the country and have some very nice, smooth roads nearby with very little traffic. Any fear I had about riding on the road disappeared after I got out there and now I love it. I've transitioned to clipless shoes. I am still getting more comfortable shifting gears and maneuvering water bottles. According to my Garmin watch, I average between 17.8-18.2 mph. Yesterday I had my longest solo - 35 miles. Something tells me I may want to go ride just to ride (not really to train).

As for swimming - I hate it. I am very bothered by chlorine, but not really a fan of open water or splashing either. I know how to swim, but I am not a strong swimmer. I am used to Army training that involves swimming with boots and uniforms - which is probably at the root of my anxiety. Nonetheless, for the last month I've been going to the pool 2-3 times a week at lunch and swimming for 30-40 minutes. I can do side stroke forever - but its very slow. I've been working at alternating lengths of side stroke and crawl - and I've already seen significant improvement in my crawl endurance. I'm not so good at counting laps and haven't bothered to time anything - I know I am slow. I plan on taking some Master's swim lessons to improve efficiency, but I have been trying to improve my endurance first... I am finally to the point where I spend more time "crawling" than doing the side stroke or resting at the side of the pool.

I honestly haven't looked too much at training plans yet. My plan had been to just build a base and put on miles between now and Christmas. My goal is for each event to be enjoyable - I thought I'd start more of a "formal" training plan with the new year. Nonetheless, I was on the beginner triathlete site, found the forums and thought it would be better to try to join a group now than next summer.

Welcome to the group!
2014-09-08 8:27 AM
in reply to: S5apiotrowski

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Originally posted by S5apiotrowski

Hello Everyone-

Anastasia,

Welcome to the group. It sounds like you have a good start to your base training. Just remember, your enjoyment of the event will be based on your ability to complete without feeling like crap. So don't let those workouts go by the wayside. I hear a lot of people say that, "well the swim is the shortest part, so I just have to survive it." Well if you come out of the water feeling like crap, you're going to feel like crap on the bike, which will then lead to you feeling like crap on the run.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask. We have a lot of people from different backgrounds, so you can get multiple perspectives.

Jeff
2014-09-08 7:52 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I actually have a question about the earlier post on Joe Friel and the LTHR. I just pulled up an info paper, and understand I can approximate it by doing a 30-min time trial and averaging my HR for the last 20 minutes. The info paper said specifically not to do 220 minus age. I quit wearing my HR monitor because I was depressed at how high my heart rate was on casual runs. I could feel very good after a casual run and still exceed 85% of THR (185) based on the 220-age.

I just looked at data from running last year- the following data is based on runs between 8 & 13 miles in length.

Pace Heart Rate
11:00 170
10:55 172
10:50 181
10:40 181
10:05 176
9:45 175, 179, 178
9:20 180, 184
8:55 188
8:18-8:20 188, 189, 190

Nonetheless, looking at the data, I have 20 beats separating 2:40 min/mile worth of time based on all runs > 8 miles in length.

When I look at the LTHR data, I am estimating my LTHR is about 190 based on the 8:18-8:20 paces I ran in a few half marathons. Most of my training runs were in zones 3 & 4. I am not sure what the optimal zones to train in are, but I thought it was good to get miles in at zones 2 & 3. I am at a loss on how to use this to help me as I feel very good when running at a 10:40-11:00 pace and feel like I can go forever -- and the pace is already over 2min to 2:30 slower than I've run in races (which I also felt good and strong at the faster paces). My resting heart rate is typically in the 46-54 and it will drop to the high 30's when I sleep, but I don't have any symptoms for the low heart rate. I am not sure if the high heart rate is related to my exercise induced asthma - but I am not limited in activity from a respiratory standpoint. I would like to use a heart rate monitor to help, but since my heart rate always seem high when I am working out, It seemed less useful. I've worn my HR monitor one time this year, and it was for a 35 mile bike ride. I averaged an 18.2mph speed and climbed 1082 feet with an average heart rate of 179, which wasn't much different from what I thought were long slow runs last year.

I am interested in what other people's experiences are using heart rate monitors. I am looking for advice on how to use it to help me train - though I am completely confused by the data I am currently getting. What are average variations in other people's heart rate with varying speeds? Is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks-

(Data copied from earlier post regarding Joe Friel and LTHR)
Zone 1 Less than 81% of LTHR
Zone 2 81% to 89% of LTHR
Zone 3 90% to 93% of LTHR
Zone 4 94% to 99% of LTHR
Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR
Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR
Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Long Course Group - (Open) Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.