Revolution 3
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 32m 7s
Overall Rank = 477/745
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 45/55
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early; had some cinnamon raisin bread and a two bananas. Had a restless night's sleep before, but nothing unexpected. Sipped a bottle of Perform during the morning. Arrived at the venue, set up transitions, check my tire pressure, started my bike computer, and started moving towards the swim start. Ate a Cliff bar about 30 minutes prior to wave start.
Event warmup:

None. Relaxed and tried to keep my wits about me.
Swim
  • 45m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal for the swim was pretty simple - I wanted it to go decently, and it did. My swim is my worst event, and I would describe my swim skills as adequately mediocre. I was expecting a 53min swim (~2:30 pace), and came in well below that, so I am very happy with the result.

I held towards the back of the wave, and waited about 30 seconds after the start to get moving. I didn't want to get plowed over by the fast folks.

Sighting for the second leg was a joke, even in tinted googles. The second leg went due east, directly in to the rising sun, so the best I could do was follow the splashes ahead of me and hope those folks knew what they were doing.

Towards the end, I did get passed by a few folks in the later waves, but that was pretty much expected.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Very happy with the swim. A good result.
Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

T1 went pretty well. Wetsuit got stuck on my heels, and I had forgotten to apply bodyglide to my calves, so oh well. I really should trip down my wetsuit just a bit on my ankles. I also put socks and shoes on and had a gel and some water. I tend to not worry about transition times, so it was as expected.

Good transition overall.
Bike
  • 3h 25m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.38 mile/hr
Comments:

4,200 feet of climbing, including a 7 mile slog. There probably isn't 100 feet of flat anywhere on the course.

I ran a 50/34 compact with an 11-28 cassette, and it was barely enough. I did not put a food down, which is good, but beyond that, those climbs are just brutal.

Kept my heart rate in check since my powermeter wasn't cooperating for various reasons. I don't think my HR went above 162, which is high zone 3. My goal for the bike was to have a solid bike, and I did. I spent most of the race thinking about the run, with a focus on having a great run.

One thing I did focus on was to keep spinning, always. I was surprised by how many people stop spinning on the downhills, which seems silly as I think about it. Spinning helps clear the lactic acid from the legs, and it's an easy place to pick up speed. I might loose 3 or 4 places on the climb, from people who are working harder than I wanted to work, but I would leapfrog them during the descent, while maintaining a zone 2 HR effort during the entire climb and descent. I was able to spin out my compact crank on a few of the descents, but that just comes with the decision to run the compact. I spent probably 10x as much time in the 34x28 combination as the 50x11.

Gearing - the 50/34 and 11-28 - was appropriate for this course.

I was happy with it. This race was my first 70.3 distance race, so playing it conservatively was the plan from the get-go. I executed according to plan.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

T2 went smooth, no problems. Getting my shoes laced took a moment, but I was happy with it.
Run
  • 2h 14m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well. I was aware that the run course was hilly, but that really isn't a great description. The run course is either up or down, and never flat. I did walk up some of the steeper grades.

The goal was to negative split the run, which I did, with the 3 legs paced at 10:30, 10:10, and 10:01.

The *worst* part was the last hill, which comes right around mile 12. It's an absolute monster, with a heavy grade. If I run this course again, I'm going to write "It ain't over yet" at the bottom of it, and maybe "Abandon hope all ye who enter." It just took the wind out of my sails and left me hopeless. I was hoping to run sub-6:30, and that hill just crushed that hope and stopped it into submission.

Overall, the run went great. My previous stand-alone, flat HM PR was 2:01, so ro run a 2:14 on this roller coaster course was good execution.
Post race
Warm down:

Came across the finish line, grabbed a cold towel and a bottle of gatorade, and set the timer on my watch for 45 minutes, and kept walking around. From previous experience, I knew that would be about how long it would take me to get to the point where I could eat real food. Had a burger and a hot dog, relaxed, kept walking. Watched my friend come over the finish line and packed up for the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, this race was a 9/10. My decisions were good and I executed according to plan.

Last updated: 2014-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:24 | 2112 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 47/55
Overall: 569/745
Performance: Good
Suit: blue seventy Fusion
Course: 3 leg course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:35
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:25:07 | 56 miles | 16.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 0/745
Wind: None
Course: Climbing and more climbing.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:14:40 | 13.1 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/55
Overall: 477/745
Course: Hills and more hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-06-02 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

2014-06-02 4:05 PM
in reply to: #5005812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Great job Charles!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev Aquabike

Started by astorm65
Views: 1194 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 9:12 PM astorm65

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by cialome
Views: 1224 Posts: 1

2012-05-21 11:24 AM cialome

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by DEFYINGRAVITY
Views: 1609 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 10:09 AM DEFYINGRAVITY

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by rafikichapman
Views: 1652 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 9:33 AM rafikichapman

Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev

Started by dkazup
Views: 2026 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 5:19 AM dkazup
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.