United States
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 05m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Im a sophomore at Cal State Fullerton played baseball my whole life and raced motocross. In November I had a serious accident almost paralyzing myself. I had surgery on a compound fracture on my collar bone and wasn't allowed to ride a motorcycle for an unknown amount of time so I decided to attempt a triathlon to cross off my bucket list. I found the race online and had 12 weeks to train.

Woke up at 4:50, showered and made toast with nutella, apples with peanut butter, and a fiber one bar. Loaded bike onto rack was on the road at 5:30 and parked at 6. Set up my transition and relaxed till around 7 as my line went off around 7:20.
Event warmup:

Wrote numbers, put on sunblock, put on wetsuit, stretched a little, and swam around 100 meters. Typically don't warm up a lot.
Swim
  • 27m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

The lake was extremely foggy which made it difficult to see buoys early in the morning but sun came out 10 minutes before the start. I don't usually warm up a lot and felt very comfortable with my short swim the day before. I had a good starting position and had a solid start. However, after the first 300 meters I began to struggle. I couldn't find my stroke or my breath and had to turn onto my back four times and was losing a bunch of ground and time. I got to about 600 meters in and finally got comfortable. I swam the rest of the way without stopping and paced with another guy while passing back others.
What would you do differently?:

In my practice swim I swam the course in 33 minutes, so an improvement of over 5 minutes was awesome as this was my worst leg of the race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 56s
Comments:

Struggled to get my wetsuit off and was a little dizzy but saw my grandparents, parents, and girlfriend so that was reassuring. I had a good rack location so I talked to my dad about the swim and he was routing me on and boosted my confidence. I was blown away when he told me my swim time.

Took my time too much as I caught my breath and got dressed. My bike shoes are large and take time to put on. Don't talk so much.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 15s
  • 40 kms
  • 26.59 km/hr
Comments:

I had finals the week before so I basically stopped all biking for three weeks. I did 10 miles of the course 5 days before which was extremely hilly and it took me nearly an hour. I was scared. I paced a guy for about 4 miles then got to the hills. I felt good and was passing a lot of people. At the turn around my other grandfather was there rooting me on and would keep going ahead for pictures which was awesome. The last 2-3 miles were downhill so it gave me chance to loosen up my legs for the run.

Train more. Drink more. I had 2 GU's and felt good, but not drinking enough effected me on the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Dismount came up quick and my family was there so I was distracted. Another good location for my rack (T1 and T2 in separate locations). Took my time again. My dad told me I was at 2 hours and I was blown away. I was expecting my bike to be 2 hours with my lack of training. I knew I could run the mile in 50 minutes at least and finish under two hours.

Go to the bathroom. Be relaxed.
Run
  • 1h 00m 48s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 05s  min/km
Comments:

I started the run and my legs were heavy but I knew Id be ok. My stomach hurt from the start so i pulled over around mile 1.5 and pee'd. It hurt for about another mile but eventually got better. I felt incredible and knew I could do it. I hit my second hill and cramped in both my quads and had to walk. I knew then my time was shot. I would run the flats and walk most of the hill. A little depressed but knew I still had to finish strong.

More biking/brick training.
Post race
Warm down:

Took pictures with my family. Drank water and a muscle milk. Jumped back in the water to cool off and got my stuff from transition to head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

My original goal was 3.5 hours so I'm happy that I beat that but its depressing knowing how close I was to under 3 hours and that I could had done it if not for cramping. Overall though, it was a fun race and Im glad I did it.

Last updated: 2014-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:36 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:15 | 40 kms | 26.59 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: HILLY
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:48 | 10 kms | 06m 05s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-06-04 2:54 AM

Subject: OC Triathlon

2014-06-06 1:17 PM
in reply to: #5006702

User image

Veteran
Irvine
Subject: RE: OC Triathlon
Great race report; congratulations and great job! Welcome to the wonderful world of triathlon!!
2014-06-06 9:59 PM
in reply to: #5006702

Orange County, California
You and I had a similar experience and finish time. Check out my race report.

If you are looking for a riding or running buddy, let me know.
2014-06-09 12:50 PM
in reply to: markowma

Thanks guys! I'm glad I did it and now have an urge to finish under 3 hours. Ill take a look at your report now!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OC Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OC Celtic Festival "Celtic Mile"

Started by tcovert
Views: 896 Posts: 1

2007-12-02 6:11 PM tcovert

OC Marathon

Started by KellyM
Views: 942 Posts: 1

2007-05-06 4:25 PM KellyM