General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swimming - west Columbus/Hilliard Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-07 10:01 AM

Subject: Open water swimming - west Columbus/Hilliard
Does anybody know of any swimming holes on the west side? I would rather not have to drive to Alum.

Thanks!

2014-06-08 12:48 PM
in reply to: ACCLARK

User image

Subject: RE: Open water swimming - west Columbus/Hilliard
None that I know of. I have been looking for a few years. City says no to open swim at Atrium. I do not believe Lakeshore allows open swim anymore.
2014-06-09 10:13 AM
in reply to: ACCLARK

User image

I either make the drive to Alumn Creek or to Deer Creek (did this weekend because of the race at Alumn). I hear about people swimming at the Quarry in Grandview which shouldn't be to far for you, but I've heard that swimming in that quarry is not really allowed. Post up if you end up finding somewhere.
2014-06-14 1:06 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

I swam at the quarry this morning, its a nice place. I was talking with some of the folks I met up with and apparently the problem swimming there is parking. The apartment complex requires parking permits to park in the lots. I rode my bike there so didn't have to worry about it but some people just parked in visitor parking.

The quarry had nice clear water and is about half a mile end to end. There is nowhere to stop and rest once your out there and so make sure you've got some endurance and are comfortable in that situation. We had 8 swimmers and everyone did a good job staying together and keeping an eye on each other.

I plan to go back soon.
2014-06-15 12:33 PM
in reply to: aalbury

User image

Expert
where is this quarry?
2014-06-16 7:09 AM
in reply to: ajusf16

User image

It's off 5th avenue, just west of Dublin Rd/33. We went into the Runaway Bay apartment complex on the left side of the road, before Mckinley.

I don't know if this link will work - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/520762734 It my data file from the swim and should show a map of where we were.

2014-06-21 5:53 PM
in reply to: #5008640

That sounds great, but I wouldn't wanna swim there without someone else for safety purposes. Any interest is coordinating a swim?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swimming - west Columbus/Hilliard Rss Feed