Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-06-10 8:11 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Request from a Race Official
I suspect that this highlights an issue in that Triathlon Canada has not published rules in a while (2010) and has basically stated that we will abide by the ITU Rulebook. The most recent TriCan rules:

http://www.triathlon.ab.ca/pdf/triathlon-canada-competition-rules.p...

Do not speak to uniforms beyond those that will be enforced at ITU events and since the ITU has more specific uniform rules than a typical triathlon so there is no specific guidance as to what the requirements for AG athletes exist.

http://triathlonontario.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ITU-Competit...

At Junior National events, they usually tell the athletes that if they don't have a proper suit (rear zip or no zipper), then the most they can pull down their front zipper is about a hand width. Although most juniors at this level have a proper suit, they usually don't want to strictly enforce the rules as they want to encourage participation and know that most athletes will eventually end up with an ITU compliant suit.

At AG events, I have occasionally seen officials, especially those who have recently officiated an ITU or national level event, ask AG groupers to follow the same zipper rules but I have not seen this enforced throughout a race, just by specific officials.

Shane

2014-06-10 8:40 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

I work for an American firm so I stuck this issue on my team meeting agenda today. I was curious as Americans are usually huge sticklers for rules so I'm surprised to hear one given short shrift.  It's a conference call between Atlanta, New York, Chicago and London.  The general consensus was that if an American male gets himself into shape he would go to work topless if he could.  But take it with a pinch of salt - this was from tubby paper pushers who haven't seen their feet for three years much less their abs.

2014-06-10 8:53 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

Originally posted by pga_mike

Some race officials make stuff up so they have something to log. 

MOST race rules state you have to have your torso covered, whether you have ever read the rules or not - which is why pros all wear tops.
2014-06-10 8:58 AM

Originally posted by badmo77a

Originally posted by Billyk

DC Rainmaker who is living in Paris states French rules make males keep their chest zippers up.

I guess it might be a Canadian thing to accommodate some French-Canadan thinking.

Just seemed odd to me.

1) As it didn't seem to be enforced at all if you were FOP
2) You could standing T1 or T2 and change into a singlet that showed rampant chest hair and be legal
3) You could wear a hoodie to keep your top half covered but do the whole event in a tiny banana hammock and still be legal.

not a "Canadian thing" it's just that Canadian volunteers - which is what course officials are, VOLUNTEERS, take their job more seriously and the Canadian racers are more respectful when being given direction by a volunteer. Americans are much more likely to give the volunteer attitude and complaining that becomes obsessive, so why take that on as a volunteer?
2014-06-10 9:19 AM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by gotbitten

Originally posted by Billyk

DC Rainmaker who is living in Paris states French rules make males keep their chest zippers up.

I guess it might be a Canadian thing to accommodate some French-Canadan thinking.

Just seemed odd to me.

1) As it didn't seem to be enforced at all if you were FOP
2) You could standing T1 or T2 and change into a singlet that showed rampant chest hair and be legal
3) You could wear a hoodie to keep your top half covered but do the whole event in a tiny banana hammock and still be legal.

not a "Canadian thing" it's just that Canadian volunteers - which is what course officials are, VOLUNTEERS, take their job more seriously and the Canadian racers are more respectful when being given direction by a volunteer. Americans are much more likely to give the volunteer attitude and complaining that becomes obsessive, so why take that on as a volunteer?

For the record I would like to state that I was very respectful of the official who made the request and complied immediately. Even if then and now I felt she was nit-picking.

Interesting point above about the Ontario rule book being 4 years old and about it referencing a very elite focused ITU rule set. Most marathon events seem to be able to accommodate the runner who wants to do the whole distance in a gorilla suit or a full suit of armor even though they would be breaking a ton of the local track or athletic club rules.

2014-06-10 10:25 AM

User image

Oakville

I was at that race as well and noticed on the results there were 8 DQs out of a field of only 236 racers.

Seems quite high to me for a relatively small race.

I know they would only issue a DQ for serious infractions and not for something minor like a zipper, but it suggests that there was a higher number of officials at the race to catch all the violations.

2014-06-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Scott71

I was at that race as well and noticed on the results there were 8 DQs out of a field of only 236 racers.

I know they would only issue a DQ for serious infractions and not for something minor like a zipper, but it suggests that there was a higher number of officials at the race to catch all the violations.

I noticed the list of DQs. Two in my age group alone. I figured they were all for drafting. There were some big packs out there on the course even after 20-25km when there is no real excuse for being so close.

The officials did seem very active. One asked me to move my bag in transition. Again a totally legit request and I had no problem doing it.
2014-06-10 10:41 AM

User image

Pro

I noticed the list of DQs. Two in my age group alone. I figured they were all for drafting. There were some big packs out there on the course even after 20-25km when there is no real excuse for being so close. The officials did seem very active. One asked me to move my bag in transition. Again a totally legit request and I had no problem doing it.

That would be VERY odd.....drafting violations are time penalties.

2014-06-10 10:44 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Left Brain

I noticed the list of DQs. Two in my age group alone. I figured they were all for drafting. There were some big packs out there on the course even after 20-25km when there is no real excuse for being so close. The officials did seem very active. One asked me to move my bag in transition. Again a totally legit request and I had no problem doing it.

Proves how little I know lol!
2014-06-10 10:50 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Left Brain

No idea, but if I had to guess I would think maybe a bunch of athletes went off course. I've been to a couple of races where there have been issues with volunteers and/or course marking, especially for the first few athletes off the bike, where the entire podium (in one case top 6 athletes) were DQed because they turned early.

Shane
2014-06-10 11:03 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Champion
Calgary
rule or no rule it is BS if it enforced on an age grouper and not the lead racers.

2014-06-10 8:46 PM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by gotbitten
Originally posted by pga_mike

Some race officials make stuff up so they have something to log. 

MOST race rules state you have to have your torso covered, whether you have ever read the rules or not - which is why pros all wear tops.

MOST races do not require your torso covered.  Just Ironman branded races.

"Competitors must ensure that their torso is covered throughout the Bike and the  run."

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/western-sydney/athletes/race-day-information.aspx#ixzz34I63cCMR

If a bra-top is legal for women, an unzipped top should be legal for men.  Rules don't say,"The entire torso".

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Request from a Race Official Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Official request to change HTFU to HatFU

Started by timf79
Views: 1963 Posts: 16

2012-07-01 8:32 PM Mike J

First Race Complete - Requesting feedback

Started by TXTriNewbie
Views: 1103 Posts: 8

2011-04-11 3:51 PM BigDH

I think I got hosed by race officials last weekend

Started by octrojan
Views: 1513 Posts: 13

2008-03-17 5:41 AM intriathlete

Race official observation/question

Started by cobannero
Views: 736 Posts: 4

2006-05-03 1:09 PM Rocket Man

It's official, I'm racing in 2006!

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 695 Posts: 5

2005-10-07 7:30 PM writers2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: