General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swimming Near Panama City Beach? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-11 8:45 AM

New user

Subject: Open Water Swimming Near Panama City Beach?
Hello,

I will be vacationing in PCB next week and am looking to get in some OW swimming whether it is in the ocean or nearby freshwater. I am completely unfamiliar with the area so appreciate any help. Thanks!

2014-06-11 10:27 AM
in reply to: dmagic17

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Open Water Swimming Near Panama City Beach?

Originally posted by dmagic17 Hello, I will be vacationing in PCB next week and am looking to get in some OW swimming whether it is in the ocean or nearby freshwater. I am completely unfamiliar with the area so appreciate any help. Thanks!
  beaches and ocean every where up there.  head to the south and you will hit ocean.  The IMFL course is marked out with small buoys near boardwalk beach hotel on S. Thomas drive

2014-06-11 2:00 PM
in reply to: Socks

New user

Makes sense. I've never done an OWS in the ocean before. Is it safe to do this course alone? Do others frequently train here? Are the buoys enough to deter jet skis, boats, etc?

Thanks
2014-06-22 5:16 PM
in reply to: dmagic17

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Originally posted by dmagic17 Makes sense. I've never done an OWS in the ocean before. Is it safe to do this course alone? Do others frequently train here? Are the buoys enough to deter jet skis, boats, etc? Thanks
There are not typically lifeguards there.  It is probably safer to swim paralell to shore. I have only ever been there for a race so not sure what it is like during a super busy season, but I have never had trouble with boats etc.  Also routinely train there because I have only ever been there for IMFL or gulf coast.  the water is SUPER clear and beautiful to swim in.  As you have never been in the ocean I would suggest spending as much time as you can on the beach and just playing in the water and getting comfortable in the ocean.  If there is surf get a boogie board and play.  Its super fun!!! Not sure who might be with you but if you go into St. Andrews state park you can rent a pontoon boat and go out and see all kinds of dolphins and go out to shell island for a picnic etc.  Good stuff

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swimming Near Panama City Beach? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Where to ride at Panama City Beach

Started by secondsonracing
Views: 1024 Posts: 2

2009-12-14 12:07 PM trek_girl

Open Water Swim near Gainesville

Started by femanual
Views: 3513 Posts: 9

2009-08-07 4:24 PM rgretsof

Open Water Swim Group-Palm Beach

Started by GomesBolt
Views: 884 Posts: 2

2008-04-03 9:19 AM debs

Anyone Train near Rosemary Beach/Panama City area?

Started by clelling
Views: 975 Posts: 1

2006-10-09 1:55 PM clelling

Emerald Coast Series #2 Tri - Panama City Beach

Started by jjweav
Views: 641 Posts: 1

2006-05-02 8:39 AM jjweav
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.